Rio Digital Audio Center Released w/Lower Price - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2002, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
fyi,
Sonic Blue (of ReplayTV fame) has released their Rio Digital Audio Center. They have a special price and free Rio receiver included as part of the price. The link below will take you to the page...The hard drive is a bit small at 40GB, but it is a pretty nice machine (I have one)....

http://www.sonicblue.com/audio/rio/rio_audiocenter.asp

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-05-2002, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RandySchimka
fyi,
Sonic Blue (of ReplayTV fame) has released their Rio Digital Audio Center. They have a special price and free Rio receiver included as part of the price. The link below will take you to the page...The hard drive is a bit small at 40GB, but it is a pretty nice machine (I have one)....

Randy
Yeah, but I'm still baffled why they didn't put any video or TV output on this box. Looks like it has a big 'ol LCD screen, but I still don't think text will be readable from across the living room. And forget about putting it in a closed media closet.

It's not like Sonic Blue doesn't know how to write a TV user interface - just look at ReplayTV.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-05-2002, 11:33 AM

RandySchimka, how did you manage to get one already?? i can't wait to get mine... been on the phone with them etc and they said they just started shipping units in the last few days and will ramp up in the next week or two to get them out to us.

can't wait to get mine!

wayne

Onkyo HT-RC360

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350

Pionoeer KRP-500M KURO

post #4 of 8 Old 02-09-2002, 03:50 AM

I got one of these the other day. I haven't had a good chance to play with it yet, but once I do, I'll post a mini-review.

Anyone out there working on a hard drive hack yet for these puppies? ;-)

Jonathan
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2002, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Please, tell us more about these!!!

I've been eyeing them, but a couple of things give me pause. Does it work with an existing shared broadband connection?
Does the Rio Receiver require a PC, or does it stream from the Audio Center? How is the interface? Is the CDRW drive a decent speed?

Remember, it's just television...
Planet Replay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do you VUDU?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2002, 11:42 AM

The Rio Receiver can stream from the Audio Center (their materials state that). The thing that troubles me is that it does not appear to stream to PCs. Once the data is on the Rio Receiver, will it come back to a PC in data form?

Lloyd Lawrence
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2002, 12:19 PM

I think there is a little confusion between the Rio Audio Central (music server) and the Rio Receiver.

Just to clarify, the Rio Receiver does NOT have local storage (okay a bit of a buffer), but not enough to store a song. So it is a one-way device only, it gets its MP3's from a PC running software supplied by SonicBlue, or from a Rio Central device. It is not designed to output to a PC.

I have a PC with 40+ Gigs worth of MP3's and a network, so I just use the Rio Receivers (3 of them so far) to pull the songs off the PC and play them through the amplifier.

From the Rio Audio Center's website:

"....Transfer music to Rio portables or a Rio Receiver somewhere else in your home...." "....Built in 10 mbps home PNA connection for streaming music to one or more Rio Receivers...."
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2002, 03:30 PM

Yes, I used the wrong word, but my concern remains. Once on the Music Center, can the file be transferred to a PC?

I currently use Audiotrons (similar to Rio Reciever) and have a PC dedicated to music serving. My two audiotrons and my three PCs all have access to the music in my home.

But if I put my digital music on the Rio Music Center, will it serve to Rio devices only or can I play the files back through any PC? It seems that if the latter were possible, they would mention it. The result is that I must keep multiple copies of my music available making the Music Center a very expensive CD burner and backup drive. Come to think of it, it's not much of a backup if I can't get the files off the unit.

Lloyd Lawrence
Closed Thread Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page