Do USB Flash Drives have bad memory spots? Or bad WD TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am kind of new to this. I bought a Flip MinoHD Camcorder and have been transfering my MP4 videos to USB Flash Drives. Then playing from those Flash drives on my new WD TV Media Player.

I bought a couple 4GB DataStick Pro's by Centon. I just started doing this, on my first stick I have it about 75% filled with around 20 2min avg videos.

Now when I am copying my latest couple MP4 videos to the stick, it looks like they transfer fine, I can play them on my PC fine. Then I remove the stick from the PC and take it over to my WD TV and try it there. It says it can not play the new MP4 files. ( The old ones still play fine). Then I take the stick back to my PC and try playing the new ones there and windows media player says it cant play the new MP4's either.

I have not tried this with multiple memory sticks yet - but I am just wondering if I should not trust them? Or possibly bad WD TV player? It is not trashing the older videos that I put on he USB stick a few days ago.

I'll probably try another memory stick - but I would feel more comfortable archiving my familys videos if I knew what was goign on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Are you safely ejecting the USB stick from the PC? It sounds like the cached data never had a chance to be flushed to the USB stick. That would explain why they wouldn't play on the PC after you plugged it in again.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

I thought that could be it also. I was clicking 'Eject' for the USB drive. Then I wait for a little bit and the remove the drive. I do not see any visual indicator that I need to wait, and I do not see any confirmation that is is safe to remove the drive. My last try I waited about 2 minutes before removing the drive. I still had the same exact problem.

Also did the same thing moving the 2 videos to a different flash drive that was empty, clicked eject and removed the drive 2 seconds later. Tried the new drive on the WD TV and the videos are fine on it.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

MrMod - I see what you are talking about now. No I was not doing that and I bet that was the problem. I still am having a problem with the flashdrive when I safely remove it, but I bet not doing it previously probably caused a problem with this drive.

I will do that in the future - thx for help.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page