post #181 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aos007 View Post

I can confirm it is not bitstreaming the DTS-HD MA. My receiver lights are not turning on. I read the receiver manual and found it does have indicators for all those formats but they were not turning on when playing the track. As Sarcoptic said, the asus WILL play normal DTS instead - so you won't be without sound.

It's gotta be licensing issues - it must cost a good deal of money to have this capability. Or rather, to decode it. I would think it doesn't require a license to simply send raw data but it does if you want to decode it to LPCM and/or output on analog. Asus might have decided that uniform behaviour of the device is more important. What I mean is, the analog video and audio always work at the same time as digital, and your HDMI audio works whether you select raw or lpcm. Bitstreaming only these few HD formats would break that behaviour so perhaps that's the reason they removed it.

Still, that's not too bad. If you simply archive your BRs in original .m2ts or make an MKV out of it with the original DTS-HD MA, it will still play on o'play. Regular DTS still sounds excellent and you don't need to reencode anything. I haven't tried Dolby HD formats yet.

if it is either passing raw or converting to lpcm like ps3 should work for me. But neither is not acceptable option! sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
USB drive is powered off when O'Play is turned off. ESATA isn't. This is to be expected, PC does not turn off ESATA either since power is supplied by the enclosure and power sequencing is part of the hotplug anyway. I'd imagine a self-powered USB drive (unlike 2.5" USB powered that I used) would not be turned off either.

If you're asking whether eSATA is "faster", I am not sure I noticed any difference. Let me try to copy something from the network... Hm, looks about the same speed to me.
post #183 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

if it is either passing raw or converting to lpcm like ps3 should work for me. But neither is not acceptable option! sorry!

Fair enough, everyone's requirements are different. When I listed to the music, I use flac, I bypass the receiver and use my own DAC and stereo power amplifier. For movies I don't really care all that much so I'm more concerned with stuff not playing than with whether format is HD or not. I doubt I'd be able to hear much difference if my $800 receiver is decoding it and converting to analog, anyway.
post #184 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I can confirm it is not bitstreaming the DTS-HD MA. My receiver lights are not turning on. I read the receiver manual and found it does have indicators for all those formats but they were not turning on when playing the track. As Sarcoptic said, the asus WILL play normal DTS instead - so you won't be without sound.

It's gotta be licensing issues - it must cost a good deal of money to have this capability. Or rather, to decode it. I would think it doesn't require a license to simply send raw data but it does if you want to decode it to LPCM and/or output on analog. Asus might have decided that uniform behaviour of the device is more important. What I mean is, the analog video and audio always work at the same time as digital, and your HDMI audio works whether you select raw or lpcm. Bitstreaming only these few HD formats would break that behaviour so perhaps that's the reason they removed it.

Still, that's not too bad. If you simply archive your BRs in original .m2ts or make an MKV out of it with the original DTS-HD MA, it will still play on o'play. Regular DTS still sounds excellent and you don't need to reencode anything. I haven't tried Dolby HD formats yet.

ok, so are you saying that it is passing dts 5.1? or only 2.0 (stereo...2 channel). cause that would suck...hard!
post #185 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post

ok, so are you saying that it is passing dts 5.1? or only 2.0 (stereo...2 channel). cause that would suck...hard!

5.1 DTS over HDMI and at the same time 2 channel analog (downmix) out.
post #186 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

5.1 DTS over HDMI and at the same time 2 channel analog (downmix) out.

ok, good...i really like the HD audio on blu ray, but can forego them during casual playback of movies. i don't want to give up 5.1 though....that would be a real big step backward.

this, and probably all newly release media players will likely be 1.3a compliant...wasn't the difference over 1.2 that 1.3a could (would...) pass the HD audio codecs? Hopefully Asus (and others) will be able to PASS the HD codecs in the future...i can understand them not wanting to pay a premium to actually DECODE them...but that is what most of us paid a premium for our receivers for
post #187 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post

ok, good...i really like the HD audio on blu ray, but can forego them during casual playback of movies. i don't want to give up 5.1 though....that would be a real big step backward.

this, and probably all newly release media players will likely be 1.3a compliant...wasn't the difference over 1.2 that 1.3a could (would...) pass the HD audio codecs? Hopefully Asus (and others) will be able to PASS the HD codecs in the future...i can understand them not wanting to pay a premium to actually DECODE them...but that is what most of us paid a premium for our receivers for

I'll keep it till I find a workable alternate to compliment my ps3, and if nothing works out then just be happy/contented with my slim, and upgrade hard drive!
post #188 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

USB drive is powered off when O'Play is turned off. ESATA isn't. This is to be expected, PC does not turn off ESATA either since power is supplied by the enclosure and power sequencing is part of the hotplug anyway. I'd imagine a self-powered USB drive (unlike 2.5" USB powered that I used) would not be turned off either.

If you're asking whether eSATA is "faster", I am not sure I noticed any difference. Let me try to copy something from the network... Hm, looks about the same speed to me.

I have a self-powered USB drive in a vantec enclosure (3.5") connected to my Apple TV. When the Apple TV goes to sleep or isn't accessing the drive, the drive powers down. The same thing happens when I connect it to a Mac and to another esata drive which I have connected to a PC. The esata drive should power down if the drive has that option. But I assume the device has to send some signal.

pmcd
post #189 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I'll keep it till I find a workable alternate to compliment my ps3, and if nothing works out then just be happy/contented with my slim, and upgrade hard drive!

i believe the a110 and the c-200 will pass the HD audio codecs...but they cost considerably more. i have the c-200 on order, but may cancel cause i ordered an o play today...

it may not be ideal for the hometheater, but the plasma above the fireplace will "enjoy" it.
post #190 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Hmm, so i guess there is no purpose to adding an esata port.

Does the asus have sequential playback, like for playing tv shows back to back?
post #191 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

If your files are alphabetically sorted, I think it continues playing the next file after current one is finished.
post #192 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 PM

Just got this Asus O!Play today @ Fry's. Wanted to setup a Karaoke server for family (easy to use). Is there any way i can hide file name extension like .IOS, .AVI ........
One thing i can say that WD TV has better GUI (my brother-in-law has WD TV), the reason why i pick this over WD TV is DVD ISO with menu, chapter skip, 2nd audio track.....those things are perfect for KARAOKE, before we were about to get Sony 400 DVD Changer but after reading the review we decide not to.
I myself got this HTPC already so i'm set. We chose this Asus (over Brite-View) because we can get it locally if something wrong or something better we still have 30 days.
Have fun to all.
D
post #193 of 434 Old 10-03-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamerican View Post

Are you positive that this thing reads HFS+ drives? I have read a lot of reviews on it and they all fail to mention what formats external drives should be. Since I use a Mac, without the ability for a player to read HFS+ drives, it is of no use to me.

I read that on AVForums.com and also somewhere on the asus site. They just had a major 1.07 upgrade so perhaps it was in there. In any case, my unit will be here early in the week and I can give you a definitive answer as I also use a Mac.

On my Ultio I have it formated using ext3. You can also use ntfs. Paragon sells great little addons to read/write either fast and of course there are free versions for ntfs at least.

So, let's say I am 90% sure about the hfs+ thing. It was one thing when I was reading about it which influenced me though it's really neither here nor there in my case as I prefer to do things over a network. What I really want is for Apple to get serious with the ATV, but that doesn't seem to be something that will happen anytime soon. In the meantime it's great fun playing around with all these various media players. They all have the same negative and that's the gui. Since Apple and Microsoft have spent forever getting their GUI stuff right I doubt any of these small players will be getting it right anytime soon.

pmcd
post #194 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

Actually, eSATA seems to be faster. It handles playing back high bitrate videos better. I tried Samsung's Oceanic Life and while it plays with major video artifacts and occasional stutter, the stuttering is obviously worse over USB. This is a 40Mbit/s AVC video with 15 reframes so it is not expected to work anyway.
post #195 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 01:11 AM

This is so funny, O'Play has telnet access and it doesn't have a password of any sort. It's practically begging for people to log in and hack at it. I imagine skilled folks will be looking at this soon. 120776 total memory. BusyBox 1.1.3. Kernel 2.6.12.6.

There is even a running Web server! It has some kind of a simple html+cgi example that adds two numbers the user enters. If you dump your own files into /tmp/www it is going to serve them. Now that's just nuts. Either it was rushed or they WANT people to develop software for it.
post #196 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Wow, interesting. I guess esata may not be such a gimmick after all, thanks for the info.
post #197 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Has anyone confirmed Bluray ISO playback or just MKV playback?
post #198 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 06:01 AM

Can someone please confirm if this does unpn (i.e. you can access a playon server and use netflix)?
post #199 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 06:24 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Has anyone confirmed Bluray ISO playback or just MKV playback?

MKV Playback:yes
Bluray ISO:no
M2TS files ripped from Bluray:yes
Bitstream HD audio codecs:no
post #200 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees2k3 View Post

Can someone please confirm if this does unpn (i.e. you can access a playon server and use netflix)?

Negative...it strictly just uses Samba from what I have seen...
post #201 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoptic View Post

MKV Playback:yes
Bluray ISO:no
M2TS files ripped from Bluray:yes
Bitstream HD audio codecs:nO

Why? It has 1.3?
post #202 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Anyone can confirm the max reframes for 1080p mkvs?
post #203 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle6 View Post

Just got this Asus O!Play today @ Fry's. Wanted to setup a Karaoke server for family (easy to use). Is there any way i can hide file name extension like .IOS, .AVI ........
One thing i can say that WD TV has better GUI (my brother-in-law has WD TV), the reason why i pick this over WD TV is DVD ISO with menu, chapter skip, 2nd audio track.....those things are perfect for KARAOKE, before we were about to get Sony 400 DVD Changer but after reading the review we decide not to.
I myself got this HTPC already so i'm set. We chose this Asus (over Brite-View) because we can get it locally if something wrong or something better we still have 30 days.
Have fun to all.
D

I'm looking for something that plays CDG karaoke files, that would be PERFECT.
post #204 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post

Why? It has 1.3?

Asus has it specd as 1.3 so real no reason it shouldn't. We are also discussing this over in the briteview cinematube thread. Asking their representive what exactly is causing Realtek not to support bitstreaming the codecs. Honestly I could care less about decoding and passing as LPCM. I perfect my receiver doing that work anyways. At this time it appears no Realtek based players are supporting bitstreaming the codecs including the O!Play, Xtreamer, or the Cinematube.

At this point I may send back the Asus player and just grab an Egreat off ebay. I mean along with bitstreaming the Egreat supports UPNP as well.
post #205 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I read that on AVForums.com and also somewhere on the asus site. They just had a major 1.07 upgrade so perhaps it was in there. In any case, my unit will be here early in the week and I can give you a definitive answer as I also use a Mac.

On my Ultio I have it formated using ext3. You can also use ntfs. Paragon sells great little addons to read/write either fast and of course there are free versions for ntfs at least.

So, let's say I am 90% sure about the hfs+ thing. It was one thing when I was reading about it which influenced me though it's really neither here nor there in my case as I prefer to do things over a network. What I really want is for Apple to get serious with the ATV, but that doesn't seem to be something that will happen anytime soon. In the meantime it's great fun playing around with all these various media players. They all have the same negative and that's the gui. Since Apple and Microsoft have spent forever getting their GUI stuff right I doubt any of these small players will be getting it right anytime soon.

pmcd

Looking forward to your finding when you receive your unit. I currently have 6TB of video in .iso format on HFS+ format. It would be impossible for me to reformat these drives to anything else so I have to stick with my current situation.
I am also waiting to see if Apple will come out with an updated ATV.
post #206 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post

Anyone can confirm the max reframes for 1080p mkvs?

+1. Also, what is the highest bitrate anyone has tried with a 1080p video?

I'm tempted to sell my HTPC and buy one of these for a fraction of the price it costed me to build the HTPC. But I'm concerned about it not being able to play certain 1080p videos.
post #207 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoptic View Post

Asus has it specd as 1.3 so real no reason it shouldn't. We are also discussing this over in the briteview cinematube thread. Asking their representive what exactly is causing Realtek not to support bitstreaming the codecs. Honestly I could care less about decoding and passing as LPCM. I perfect my receiver doing that work anyways. At this time it appears no Realtek based players are supporting bitstreaming the codecs including the O!Play, Xtreamer, or the Cinematube.

At this point I may send back the Asus player and just grab an Egreat off ebay. I mean along with bitstreaming the Egreat supports UPNP as well.

i saw a youtube video somewhere, showing on the menu you can chose to pass audio as raw, wouldn't that solve your problem?
post #208 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 02:04 PM

I tried Samsung Oceanic Life. It plays with major video corruption, i.e. a nice frame then progressively more colored blocks for a few seconds when the entire picture is colored blocks, then again nice clean frame or two and so on. At two points it stutters a bit, moreso when using USB or network than eSATA. But, this video uses 15 reference frames and 40Mbit/s, it's about 500MB for less than 2 minutes of video.

I'll gladly try some other samples if people provide links to them. Is there a library of test clips somewhere?
post #209 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I tried Samsung Oceanic Life. It plays with major video corruption, i.e. a nice frame then progressively more colored blocks for a few seconds when the entire picture is colored blocks, then again nice clean frame or two and so on. At two points it stutters a bit, moreso when using USB or network than eSATA. But, this video uses 15 reference frames and 40Mbit/s, it's about 500MB for less than 2 minutes of video.

I'll gladly try some other samples if people provide links to them. Is there a library of test clips somewhere?

I tried that same clip (I believe) on the XTreamer and got the same sort of outcome...
post #210 of 434 Old 10-04-2009, 02:47 PM

I tried a recent episode of an anime that shows as 15 reframes in MediaInfo:

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 15 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@5.0
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 24mn 27s
Bit rate : 1 710 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 1 772 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.077
Stream size : 299 MiB (90%)

It's 720. It plays but it's not perfect. Every now and then it skips 10 seconds or so back, subtitles get screwed up and occasional artifacts are seen. Not sure if this is related to fast forwarding or would it play fine it you resort to playing from start to finish.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page