Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 885 Old 02-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdee3 View Post

Would the PlayOn HD be a worthy upgrade over the original WD HD TV?

Oh ya...it out shines the WD TV in so many ways...Full dvd menu support, you can add an internal HHD, internet radio, YAMJ...just to mention a few

Chris Daly

Owner

www.MediaStreamingStore.com

Authorized reseller of AC Ryan PlayON!HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 885 Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoofa View Post

How do you format your Harddrive? I format my external Hdd to Fat32 and I'm not be able to copy a 4+ gig ISO file on it. Since it does not support HFS+ format. I really want to watch and test my ISO files. Thanks.

The best filesystem is NTFS for large files. Thats just the way it is.
The Playon accepts NTFS only on the inside.
So, format the HDD fully to NTFS, put it in the Playon.
Then format it in the playon system itself to create the necessary partitions.
Then reinstall firmware 1402 with extensions, so you have everything running.
Then upgrade to 2901 with the 'hard boot' way.
post #723 of 885 Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrixguy View Post

Oh ya...it out shines the WD TV in so many ways...Full dvd menu support, you can add an internal HHD, internet radio...just to mention a few

I agree! and Chris is an excellent and hugely professional resource!
post #724 of 885 Old 02-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I agree! and Chris is an excellent and hugely professional resource!

Oh stop...your going to make me blush

Chris Daly

Owner

post #725 of 885 Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miro_ACRyan View Post

The best filesystem is NTFS for large files. Thats just the way it is.
The Playon accepts NTFS only on the inside.
So, format the HDD fully to NTFS, put it in the Playon.
Then format it in the playon system itself to create the necessary partitions.
Then reinstall firmware 1402 with extensions, so you have everything running.
Then upgrade to 2901 with the 'hard boot' way.

Mac Users are pretty much out of luck then? Because Mac cant read or write to NTFS.
post #726 of 885 Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:

Mac Users are pretty much out of luck then? Because Mac cant read or write to NTFS.

Yes it can, all you have to do is install MacFuse on your Apple machine.
Then it can read/write on NTFS drives.
post #727 of 885 Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miro_ACRyan View Post

Yes it can, all you have to do is install MacFuse on your Apple machine.
Then it can read/write on NTFS drives.

can u put this on ps3 and have it read ntfs files too lol.
post #728 of 885 Old 02-26-2010, 03:07 AM

report after few days of using acryan playonhd...

not impressed!
for a premium (relatively to others with same hardware) product, i'm actually disappointed with this media player.
i think the higher price paid goes to the exterior look only.

reason:
- 1 movie can't play (solved by trial-error; removed idx/sub files)
- sometimes flac files can't play (reboot and try again should work)
- sometimes, movie no sound (trial-error; do some pause/play or FF/play or RW/play to fix)

so, by paying more, i'm still stuck needing to trial-error issues which makes it feel like cheapo stuff.
hence, i would advise to just buy cheapest.
firmware support from non-brand is questionable, but can't complain if sold cheaply.
my bro having a non-brand china made player and all i see is no diff! while his still got the same firmware support. hah...

so, the only thing i look forward to is 'stability'.
remembered i saw in one forum somewhere that most ppl just want a rock solid AV player and would rather remove add-ons to ensure everything works!
post #729 of 885 Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkming View Post

report after few days of using acryan playonhd...

not impressed!
for a premium (relatively to others with same hardware) product, i'm actually disappointed with this media player.
i think the higher price paid goes to the exterior look only.

reason:
- 1 movie can't play (solved by trial-error; removed idx/sub files)
- sometimes flac files can't play (reboot and try again should work)
- sometimes, movie no sound (trial-error; do some pause/play or FF/play or RW/play to fix)

so, by paying more, i'm still stuck needing to trial-error issues which makes it feel like cheapo stuff.
hence, i would advise to just buy cheapest.
firmware support from non-brand is questionable, but can't complain if sold cheaply.
my bro having a non-brand china made player and all i see is no diff! while his still got the same firmware support. hah...

so, the only thing i look forward to is 'stability'.
remembered i saw in one forum somewhere that most ppl just want a rock solid AV player and would rather remove add-ons to ensure everything works!

This kind of uncertainty is also present in WD TV and Live. I have not used xtremer, but I am sure few files would not play on it as well. but overall in most of the cases I encountered, POHD was able to play more files than WD TV. That "stability" factor you are looking for is absent in almost every media player out there (except DUNE maybe)
post #730 of 885 Old 03-15-2010, 01:03 AM

Just received my PlayOn!HD today. I chose this media player in no small part based on this detailed thread about all the benefits of the player.

First impression is favorable. I was able to stream Internet Radio right away, with no problem. I put a movie file on the system and it played perfectly and looks great.

The Good

1) Nice packaging and inclusions. Tons of cables, including HDMI.
2) Compact. I thought it would be bigger from some of the comments, it's not big.
3) Plug and Play. Plugged in the network and could instantly stream Internet Radio.

System shipped with Software v7.06.r3294

The system does have some weaknesses, which I have heard other players have.

1) Reliability. Only playing with the system for less than 1/2 hour and had at least 3 reboots.
2) Interface weakness. It appears if I copy 50 DVD over all with the same .VOB file names they will all be listed in one long list. Why no file directory structure to browse?
3) Multitasking. Is it possible to play Internet Radio and then continue to browse other menus and/or maybe display a slide show? Seems the Radio stops whenever leaving the radio screen.
4) Language/Grammar. Please have the BT web interface checked by a native English speaker.
Add torrent page
"Step 1. Choose torren file path from local PC. " -> torrenT
"Step 2. Confirm your select file " -> "Confirm your selection" or "Confirm your selected file"
" Confirm this action and back BT download page" -> Config this action and RETURN TO BT download page
" Do nothing and back BT download pag" -> Do nothing and RETURN to BitToreend download pagE
BT Download Page
"Setting" buttons should be "SettingS"
Setting Page
"Save Setting" should be "Save SettingS"

Thanks for making this product. I look forward to making great use of it.
post #731 of 885 Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrixguy View Post

Oh ya...it out shines the WD TV in so many ways...Full dvd menu support, you can add an internal HHD, internet radio, YAMJ...just to mention a few

YAMJ is still a lot immature on the POHD. Its quite useless at present. Still can't use the AEON skin I guess. But POHD works well for its made - watching movies.

DVD menu and other stuff can be enabled on a WDTV live using the hacked firmware. If you are looking for portability as an added advantage, then WDTV live wins (unless you have a look at POHD mini)
post #732 of 885 Old 03-15-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi_dark_lord View Post

YAMJ is still a lot immature on the POHD. Its quite useless at present. Still can't use the AEON skin I guess. But POHD works well for its made - watching movies.

DVD menu and other stuff can be enabled on a WDTV live using the hacked firmware. If you are looking for portability as an added advantage, then WDTV live wins (unless you have a look at POHD mini)

a hacked firmware...you might want to use a hacked firmware, and maybe alot of people on this forum are cool with doing that, but Joe 6pack doesn't want to hear about hacking this or firmware that...they want something that works out of the box

Chris Daly

Owner

post #733 of 885 Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 AM

I have had a WDTV1, PlayOn and a WDTV Live. I find the WDTV Live to be the best product overall.
post #734 of 885 Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post

I have had a WDTV1, PlayOn and a WDTV Live. I find the WDTV Live to be the best product overall.

Depends on what your criteria is/are for "best"? For example, if one of your important criteria is playing dvd ISO images?

Everyone's requirements are different - Personally I find the WDTV Live over-bloated to use, for no real gain at all...
post #735 of 885 Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post

If it does what you need, then it's the best product for you

Chris Daly

Owner

post #736 of 885 Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Dropping in to say that having had this for awhile, I remain very happy with it. Yes, it's not perfect, but there's a lot here for the price asked. For my main purposes, which may be less demanding than some, I just want to play a wide variety of files, quickly, easily and with good image quality. For 99% of the files I try, that's what I get. It's a pleasure not to have to be constantly converting files to get them to play properly. With the POHD, they just work.

Even low rez web flv files look OK, and the HD stuff is outstanding.

The only minor issue I have is that occasionally the "!USB Drive plugged in" notice will come up even when the USB drives have not been changed or possible even when no USB stick or drive is plugged in. This appears to be a hardware issue. It's rare, so not worrying too much about it yet. Haven't had any reboots or anything in a long time, so happy about that. Doesn't seem to get too hot. HDD works fine. Overall seems solid.
post #737 of 885 Old 03-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

Dropping in to say that having had this for awhile, I remain very happy with it. Yes, it's not perfect, but there's a lot here for the price asked. For my main purposes, which may be less demanding than some, I just want to play a wide variety of files, quickly, easily and with good image quality. For 99% of the files I try, that's what I get. It's a pleasure not to have to be constantly converting files to get them to play properly. With the POHD, they just work.

Even low rez web flv files look OK, and the HD stuff is outstanding.

The only minor issue I have is that occasionally the "!USB Drive plugged in" notice will come up even when the USB drives have not been changed or possible even when no USB stick or drive is plugged in. This appears to be a hardware issue. It's rare, so not worrying too much about it yet. Haven't had any reboots or anything in a long time, so happy about that. Doesn't seem to get too hot. HDD works fine. Overall seems solid.

Well said, I have had the POHD for a few months now and have been very happy with it for what it does. Of course, it would be great if it could do BD Iso rips with full menu support (instead of main feature only), but my complaints with the unit are few and trivial.
post #738 of 885 Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwisniski View Post

Well said, I have had the POHD for a few months now and have been very happy with it for what it does. Of course, it would be great if it could do BD Iso rips with full menu support (instead of main feature only), but my complaints with the unit are few and trivial.

Give them time. I'm hoping that functionality will be available with some future firmware.

Chris Daly

Owner

post #739 of 885 Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM

There are Some interesting Developments to come in the next month on the Mini and Full-size playon,so keep em tuned as lots more has been promised or we need now is delivery.

T.
post #740 of 885 Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM

I've owned the WDTV for years, and it is a solid, albeit limited, device. I purchased the POHD about 6 or 7 months ago and have been very pleased. The box has all the inputs/outputs I need. It is network ready. It plays 99% of my files. And extremely important to me, it plays ISOs with full DVD menus. I personally don't understand why anyone archiving ripped content would compromise on this feature.

I haven't used the WDTV Live, so no comparison there. The POHD is a decent device and the company is still upgrading the firmware, which is more than a lot of media player companies do.
post #741 of 885 Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Reading ntfs is built into OSX. For writing have a look a Paragon's ntfs for OSX product (not free but inexpensive and it goes on sale quite frequently). The macfuse free approach was already mentioned.

philip
post #742 of 885 Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Does this product sell in the US. I have a WD TV player, but this sound much better. INstead of getting the WD TV live I'm been thinking. But now I think this is much better than WD TV.

It have an internal hard drive?
post #743 of 885 Old 05-01-2010, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Playon HD can display only ONE SUBTITLE everytime I play the movies.
Although I have several subtitles included in the movie file, Playon HD only display one subtitle at a time (at random, no particular order).
Can anyone help me what to do ?
THANKS
post #744 of 885 Old 05-05-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm considering the Playon HD to replace my original WDTV , for just one reason:

I record OTA - TV 1080i HD broadcasts, using a Happauge USB tuner, then play the files (.TS format) on the WDTV.
These programs are broadcast in full HD, at about 17MB/sec. (per TS reader)
Pictures are stellar, fully as good as orig broadcast, and Dolby 5.1 is passed to my receiver. But....

When fast-forwarding through commercials (4x), the WDTV will not stop reliably at any predictable time.
It jumps forward, and the time readout gets lost. Very frustrating.

My guess is that the WDTV just doesn't have enough buffering to handle the accelerated playback - which, I assume, would be playing out in ffwd at 64Mb/sec ( 17Mb/sec x 4 ). ( ? )

I've read that the Playon HD uses the internal HD to buffer for streaming, I'm wondering if this might result in improved ffwd over the WDTV.

Might any of you Playon HD owners have any experience along these lines ?? How is the fast fwd, can you stop it reliably ?
Maybe someone who has one, might be willing to check this?

Other than this disappointment, I'm happy with the WDTV, but if the Playon HD is better in this respect, or if you might recommend another player known to be better at this, I'll likely order one.

Thanks for listening, and any help much appreciated..
post #745 of 885 Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypb View Post

New FW 2XXX

- Playing the BD ISO with menu navigation
- Playing the BD structure with menu navigation

Version v7.0.6 r2XXX
------------------------------------
What's new in this release

1) Add HDMI LPCM Multi-Channel support
2) Add DTS-HD Master Audio pass-through support
3) Add Dolby Digital Plus pass-through support
4) Add 16:10 option for Aspect Ratio
5) Add Ken Burns effect for image viewing
6) Add Seamless Playback for image viewing
7) Add Internet Feeds function in Home menu
- YouTube streaming
- Picasa photo album
- RSS news feeds
- Flickr
8) Fix reboot action when the power button on remote control is pressed
9) Fix lip-sync with DTS audio in 23.976fps video
10) Fix punctuation order of Hebrew text encoding
11) Fix internal subtitle in MKV to display according to default flag

Have you or anyone tried youtube.....just want to make sure it works....had a popcorn and I don't want to go there again!
post #746 of 885 Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 AM

are you sure you are talking about pohd? forget about most of the features mentioned above.

also youtube is no more supported
post #747 of 885 Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 AM

I bought Hd Playon in December'09 and it fits perfectly to my needs. For sure it needs a few improvements in its firmware but it's just a matter of time.
post #748 of 885 Old 05-16-2010, 08:24 AM

I have 2 but I relocating to a smaller place, I am looking to sell 1 for $100
if anyone needs a second unit.
email me at medriver99@msn.com
post #749 of 885 Old 06-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talas View Post

There are Some interesting Developments to come in the next month on the Mini and Full-size playon,so keep em tuned as lots more has been promised or we need now is delivery.

T.

http://www.acryan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6153

Great looking HD gui going on!

Chris Daly

Owner

post #750 of 885 Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No true HD or dts HD master pass through, no go here!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page