Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2071 Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
heres some inside pics and other random crap nobody cares about
lunix fanboys watch out, you wont be able to hax this thing anytime soon.
http://pbx.mine.nu/xtreamer/

by the way, the fan in default setting is horribly loud
and looks like someone needs to learn how to do PWM fan control because in low-speed mode it sucks too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2071 Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Nice deconstruction!
post #453 of 2071 Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

If you're only doing stereo though, I'd still recommend going with something like a PCM downmix of the highres audio. Shouldn't be much more space, and will potentially improve dialog intelligibility.

Since 2-channel FLAC works fine, PCM is a huge waste of bandwidth for stereo audio. If you're just using your TV speakers (as I do), even FLAC is totally unnecessary. For most people using regular consumer-grade equipment, anything more than 256kbps MP3 is a waste of bits. You simply cannot hear any difference between high bitrate MP3 and lossless audio unless you have very good components and even better ears.

If you're one of the few who can hear the difference and don't care about file sizes, then by all means go with lossless. But just to give you an idea of how big lossless tracks are, these are the audio track sizes for a 90min movie:
Stereo PCM - 1536kbps - ~1GB
Stereo FLAC - varies - ~500MB-700MB

Compared to lossy:
Stereo MP3 - 256kbps - 173MB
5.1 AC3 - 448kbps - 300MB
post #454 of 2071 Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Since 2-channel FLAC works fine, PCM is a huge waste of bandwidth for stereo audio. If you're just using your TV speakers (as I do), even FLAC is totally unnecessary. For most people using regular consumer-grade equipment, anything more than 256kbps MP3 is a waste of bits. You simply cannot hear any difference between high bitrate MP3 and lossless audio unless you have very good components and even better ears.

If you're one of the few who can hear the difference and don't care about file sizes, then by all means go with lossless. But just to give you an idea of how big lossless tracks are, this is how large the audio track would be for a 90min movie:
Stereo PCM - 1536kbps - ~1GB
Stereo FLAC - varies - ~500MB-700MB

Compared to lossy:
Stereo MP3 - 256kbps - 173MB
5.1 AC3 - 448kbps - 300MB

I agree stereo FLAC is a better idea than PCM (not sure what I was thinking ... damn microbrews )

Obviously YMMV regarding lossless codecs. If you don't care ... then by all means go for something compressed.

For your lossy stats, I'd be shocked if one would note a difference between the stereo MP3 and AC3 at those bitrates. So if you are only planning to use stereo, might as well go with the MP3.
post #455 of 2071 Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3. Added option to turn off fan.

Had anyone checked how warm the player becomes whan reducing the speed fan?

The fan does nothing to cool the unit. It's passively cooled by the heatsink on the back which gets pretty damn hot. The fan was there probably just for internal HDD.
post #456 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

Anyone else have this unit yet? I can't view any of my network shares.. when I go to Meida Library it just says my shortcuts and my neighbors.. and those are both empty folders.. DHCP is working, it has an ip.. and I can see a xtreamer upnp device when I'm on my pc..

Yes, I have it and have the same problem. Sometimes they show and sometimes they don't... Supposedly a new FW is coming next week that addresses networking issues. Let's hope it fixes this.

Ken
post #457 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

no problems here, then again, i'm using windows and not lunix.
it sees my xp64, xp, win7, and win2003 shares just fine over lan and wifi.
post #458 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post

no problems here, then again, i'm using windows and not lunix.
it sees my xp64, xp, win7, and win2003 shares just fine over lan and wifi.

I'm using windows as well...

Sometimes it's there and other times it's not. Well most of the time it's not. My server is a WHS box with all my content. Xtremer sees the UPnP service but not the shares.

Ken
post #459 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Has anyone here had problems with their Xtreamer stuck in customs? I was just reading over the xtreamer forum quite a few people are having this problem, something about Xtreamer stating the value of the package at only EUR 23 ( I guess the "stated" value affects how much customs taxes are charged)???

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #460 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Has anyone here had problems with their Xtreamer stuck in customs? I was just reading over the xtreamer forum quite a few people are having this problem, something about Xtreamer stating the value of the package at only EUR 23 ( I guess the "stated" value affects how much customs taxes are charged)???

For most European countries there is maximum value of 100 us$ that can be imported without having to pay any import taxes and VAT.

If the customs service has doubts about the real value versus the declared value of the device they will ask proof of purchase and base their tax payment calculation on the amount printed on the invoice.
post #461 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

Anyone else have this unit yet? I can't view any of my network shares.. when I go to Meida Library it just says my shortcuts and my neighbors.. and those are both empty folders.. DHCP is working, it has an ip.. and I can see a xtreamer upnp device when I'm on my pc..

Yes it works fine on this end. I see all the workgrounds and under that all the shares. Xtreamer actually accesses/browses the shares faster than Win XP PCs. The share I am using mostly is of an DNS-323 which I believe is some form of a Linux share.

Quote:

Not in the US.

Quote:

I do have a system where you can hear the difference. DD is quite an old codec, and in reality is generally worse than even moderate bit-rate MP3.

In my system I can tell the difference between DD and Dolby TrueHD (actually as guests have pointed out its a bigger difference in sound than PQ between an upconverted DVD and a BR) however most people with regular TV speakers should not bother more than, let's say 384kbps. In that scenario DD with 448kbps should suffice (and I do think for most applications DD sounds good enough).

If dealing with home video (i.e. DV or HDV, or any consumer recordable format) I think there are limitations in original recording. I know that my HDV camera, for example, comrpessses audio at 384kbps hence anything better than DD when reencoding will not be worthwhile. For DV (MiniDV, Digital 8, etc) I think 1584kbps is decent enough for 2 channel in which sense original DTS is the closest thing. Though then you portability have to worry about the protability of DTS encoding, i.e. if given recording to another person are they going to be able to decode or downmix DTS when watching the file.

But home recordings mostly do not utilize hi fidelity (also limitations of the camcorder microphone) to a point that DD or regual 2 channel track on a DVD-Video format is more than adequate.

I would be using loseless format only if ripping BR or HD DVD or another professionally mastered source.

For everything else I believe it's overkill.
post #462 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 PM

I am taking a chance on this and just placed an order.

On paper it is the only product that does everything I want a streamer to do.
1) rmvb playback
2) 1080p AVC/VC-1/mpeg2 .m2ts streaming with TrueHD / DTS-MA pass thru
3) avi and dvd iso
4) Movie Jukebox interface.

At about $160 shipped it's not too large of a risk to take.
post #463 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 02:53 PM

1-yes works
2-forget it the player have problems streaming m2ts/mkv is very jerky,true hd? in this moment isnt possible...

3-yes works
4-im ths moment dont works and is a stolen code very lame
post #464 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM

this is hilarious

post from xtreamer

ppl buy a good headphone because you will need it...using medium or max with hd files?...i think that the player will take off to the ceiling...

Dear Friends

We recomend at this point to try the device ability with HDD or External USB storage. Both LAN and Wireless will be updated soon.

Please note : When you are using the device for HD file PLAYBACK you need the fan speed to be turned ON to middle or max speed.

Overheated chipset on HD playback with no FAN on may reault in strange video results.

HD file playing - you need air fan working. The device is small and it is highly no recommended to give it s serious test for HD 1080P or even 720P without the FAN actuall working,

No fan or low fan is good for SD files only !!!!

The next firmware hopefully will make it automatic for you.

Testing the device for HD file playback with no FAN will result in totally different results of your tests.
post #465 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

I actually want the Xtreamer to succeed (I think the price point fits a nice gap in the market).

However the clowns running it (especially the "admins" on their forum), are truly horrible. Extremely unprofessional and simply have no customer service skills whatsoever (and yes I realize there is a language barrier, but that doesn't excuse some of the ridiculous things they have stated and posted).

I'm curious to see how the customs fiasco turns out, but so far i think they are doing very, very poorly for an initial launch.
post #466 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Instead of being a "WDTV killer" it turns out it may even commit "suicide" if it didn't run with the FAN on...LOL...
post #467 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybman View Post

this is hilarious

post from xtreamer

ppl buy a good headphone because you will need it...using medium or max with hd files?...i think that the player will take off to the ceiling...

Dear Friends

We recomend at this point to try the device ability with HDD or External USB storage. Both LAN and Wireless will be updated soon.

Please note : When you are using the device for HD file PLAYBACK you need the fan speed to be turned ON to middle or max speed.

Overheated chipset on HD playback with no FAN on may reault in strange video results.

HD file playing - you need air fan working. The device is small and it is highly no recommended to give it s serious test for HD 1080P or even 720P without the FAN actuall working,

No fan or low fan is good for SD files only !!!!

The next firmware hopefully will make it automatic for you.

Testing the device for HD file playback with no FAN will result in totally different results of your tests.

Just...wow. I would have thought the new wonder machine could have at least had control of it's own fan. Sounds like the Xstreamer is the Xstreamer Killer.
post #468 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

The fan does nothing to cool the unit. It's passively cooled by the heatsink on the back which gets pretty damn hot. The fan was there probably just for internal HDD.

As someone else already posted, the xtreamer admins recommend running the fan at middle or high. The fan definitely does something because the side with the heatsink is MUCH cooler when the fan is on high vs. middle/low. Air probably still flows under the motherboard where the heatsink is.

As I posted in their forum, the player consumes about 9-10 watts of power. The PCH-100 uses about 6 watts and gets very hot with passive cooling. You have 50% more heat here that has to go somewhere and because of the small size, there is no room for any passive air flow.

If I end up keeping this thing (not likely because of the poor network performance), I will probably move the motherboard to a different enclosure that can be properly cooled without noise.
post #469 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

I actually want the Xtreamer to succeed (I think the price point fits a nice gap in the market).

I think we are all in the same boat. If the Xtreamer could do what it claims it can do at this price point, then it is only going to make for more competition, which is better for all us consumers. Now if it actually gets there only time will tell. I will say at a minimum this unit should have gotten into the hands of reviewers for real world feedback before even getting out to the general public...

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #470 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

However the clowns running it (especially the "admins" on their forum), are truly horrible. Extremely unprofessional and simply have no customer service skills whatsoever (and yes I realize there is a language barrier, but that doesn't excuse some of the ridiculous things they have stated and posted).

I'm curious to see how the customs fiasco turns out, but so far i think they are doing very, very poorly for an initial launch.

I guess it's the usual: you get what you pay for.

After all to be so cheap they had to cut a lot of corners, their extensive use of copy'n'paste on their website of copyrighted material from other websites seems part of that, and with regards to customer support (which is labour intensive and therefore expensive) they seem to rely on fanboys.

(I wonder for how long they will keep updating the firmware... firmware engineers are expensive...)

Also judging from the pictures of the PCB posted by timecop, several solder points look quite badly made and I can't see any 'RoHS' mark on it, so it's looks like it's not made to European regulations (which would mean it can't even be sold legally in the EU).

I'm curious to read about the RMA experience of someone who receives a dead unit...

My Linux news / reviews / tips+tricks / downloads web site: http://www.linuxtech.net/
post #471 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Liked: 13
Damn mine has shipped already. Wonder if I can return for a refund?

I just really don't like how they are reacting to everything. Not very professional.
post #472 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

lol @ no ROHS.
also, they wasted no time giving me a refund, infact like within 5 minutes of sending a privmsg to their forum dude called 'xtreamer'. This was like at 1am Japan time, so duno if their guys were in eruope or korea or wat. so at least that part is "professional" haha. also some pics of the board with heatsink off are updated at above url.

I'm thinking the only way to keep this beast running properly is to dremel out side of the case where the CPU is, put a giant passive or active heatsink/fan and then maybe something will change.
post #473 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:

lol @ no ROHS.
also, they wasted no time giving me a refund, infact like within 5 minutes of sending a privmsg to their forum dude called 'xtreamer'. This was like at 1am

What was the refund for ?

Isn't the original heatsink already on the media processor ?
post #474 of 2071 Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Refund was for them not sending me 2 USB antennas when I was forced by their cart system to include an antenna during the free promotion period.

Yes heatsink is on processor. Well, you can still dremel the case out and put a giant fan there then. Point is without airflow, that passive heatsink isn't doing ****.
and as you can see from the video, that fan on high is ridiculously noisy.
post #475 of 2071 Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

love the file name for the vid
post #476 of 2071 Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:

The noise levels changed significantly with firmware 1.01.

Something else:

The Xtreamer (partially) supports AUTOMATIC changing of the video output resolution depending on the frame rate of the source material!

Read this:
http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=740

WD TV (again!) & Xtreamer owner :)
post #477 of 2071 Old 07-10-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Photo navigation with the Xtreamer (YouTube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3XsMGOcIW0 (courtesy of Mavvy)
post #478 of 2071 Old 07-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtwenty2009 View Post

Photo navigation with the Xtreamer (YouTube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3XsMGOcIW0 (courtesy of Mavvy)

Thanks! I am glad to see that Xtreamer is fast and has a very good support to photo slide show!

I have a Tvix 6500A and I had to wait a loooong time until a firmware update with decent support to photo slide show (and even now things are still not fully functional, since when Dvico introduced the slide show with crossfade transition they removed the ability to select a background music during the slide show).

So I am glad to have ordered an Xtreamer as my second player instead of a WDTV (I am patiently waiting the 2nd batch to be shipped... ) By per what I am seeing, Xtreamer has potential to be promoted to my primary media player!

BTW, I do expect a lot of bugs in the first Xtreamer firmwares, but as a TVix owner it is something I am already used to...

drs
post #479 of 2071 Old 07-10-2009, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm really digging this little machine, I've built 4 Different Home Theatre PC's and while I will not trade them away for the Xtreamer
the performance I get from this Machine at about $165 is amazing, It played everything I threw at it mkv, avi, wmv, and mpg With DTS, AC3, Subtitles, Mutliple Audio tracks of all kind worked flawlessly, even plays mp3's in the background, allows you to make a playlist I'm loving it(It's for my mom though), The downside is the Fan Noise on High is Unbearable, I cant believe the engineers who tested this Unit allowed it to go to production with that Noise, With the fan on Medium However, it's whisper Quiet. The small size and light weight is somewhat of a hinderence since it gets knocked over very easily, I would lay it on it's side, but I'm afraid it may restrict the airflow and with the Full Device In constant contact with the wood surface of an Entertainment Center may contribute to Overheating, I didn't test all the network features since I won't be needing them, so I cant speak for that, But this Baby is a keeper, I'm gonna see if they can add a 16X9 Pan & Scan Aspect Ratio to the Settings Menu Via Firmware since they already have a 4X3 version presently in the settings Menu. Some of my mkv's & avi use the 2:35:1 aspect ratio and I hate black bars on my screen
post #480 of 2071 Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. Keep us informed how it goes with your refund. Whether it goes smoothly or if you have problems would be another issue to consider re this device.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page