Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

or 120% of what the a-110 does for half the price. Thinking of pre-ordering the c-200 I went ahead and ordered the xtreamer. Makes more sense.

I wouldn't call the Xtreamer half the price of the a-110. They are pretty close in price.

Popcorn Hour C-200 = 315$ (USD) (Shipped)

Popcorn Hour A-110 = 231$(USD) (Shipped)

Xtreamer = 165$(USD) (Shipped) + 20$ Import tax + 5$ credit card exchange rate charge. Total Cost: 190$ (USD)

So the Xtreamer comes out to be: 125$ less than the C-200 and 41$ less than the A-110.

(Please keep in mind the Import tax and CC fee are rough guesses.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 AM

Well, in Europe , it`s ~240 for A-110 and 120 for Xtreamer.

So there u go.
post #93 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagoda View Post

Well, in Europe , it`s ~240€ for A-110 and 120€ for Xtreamer.

So there u go.

How is the A-110 240 Euro?

Popcorn hour A-110 ships to Europe for 250 (USD), which exchange rate comes out to be, 178 (Euro). Which comes out to 58 (Euro) less for the Xtreamer.

(I'm going to guess you have to pay import tax and exchange rate fees like those of us in the states as well. So maybe tack on another 20 euro to have that.)

Edit: However, I do completely agree with you the Xtreamer is a great deal for those of you on the Euro, who don't have to pay exchange fees, import taxes, and have a weaker currency like those of us in the states. Even with all that the Xtreamer still comes out to be 41$ (USD) less than the A-110. But for you guys it's 58 - 78 (Euro) less.
post #94 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Import taxes are different across EU I guess and it is usually not worth it.
It is just not a standard practice to import from US and there is a good reason for it. I believe I would have to pay around 23% of total taxes , so its already ~220, plus there are shipment costs in case they are not already included..

And I just checked, I would now get it for 229 here in a store, still almost twice as much as Xtreamer..

So like u said, it is a perfect price for us in EU, but for US its totally different story, mainly because we are talking about untested product. I would not risk it for that ~40$ difference.
post #95 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagoda View Post

Import taxes are different across EU I guess and it is usually not worth it.
It is just not a standard practice to import from US and there is a good reason for it. I believe I would have to pay around 23% of total taxes , so its already ~220, plus there are shipment costs in case they are not already included..

And I just checked, I would now get it for 229 here in a store, still almost twice as much as Xtreamer..

So like u said, it is a perfect price for us in EU, but for US its totally different story, mainly because we are talking about untested product. I would not risk it for that ~40$ difference.

The US is the same, it isn't a flat important. I just got the 20$ (USD) price from what people are reporting being charged to have other players like the Egreat imported to the US. It stinks you guys have to pay such a high import tax for the product.

I do however envy you for being able to get the Xtreamer for so cheap!

If I didn't have to pay all the extras jacking the price up to being only a 41$ (USD) less than the A-110 and more importantly 10$ more than the Egreat M34A, I'd have been in the first batch.

However, seeing I can't get it for the cheap price like yourselves I'm going to wait to get feedback from all the people on the forums taking the plunge first. If everything does work out, I'll be in the 2nd or 3rd batch for sure.

I agree with your assessment of the player, if it delivers on it's promises, it seems to offer more than the PCH A-110, and only a little less than the new C-200.
post #96 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I live in the US and I didn't get charged any kind of import tax.. it was like $169 after shipping and I got the free wifi antenna as a gift

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #97 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

I live in the US and I didn't get charged any kind of import tax.. it was like $169 after shipping and I got the free wifi antenna as a gift

Import Tax isn't up front.....you get a bill in the mail a few months later.

What happens is the shipping company has to pay a fee when it enters customs. They pay the fee for you and bill you plus a little transaction fee for paying it.

Edit: (I am in no way saying this is going to be what happens with the Xtreamers. I have simply seen previous post where people were confused about why they received a bill from the shipping company, when they ordered an item from another country.)
post #98 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruktuim View Post

Import Tax isn't up front.....you get a bill in the mail a few months later.

Sounds like you should change your address within the next few months

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #99 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 03:40 PM

Via Xtreamer's Website:

Quote:

Your packages may be subject to the customs fees and import duties of the country to which you have your order shipped. These charges are always the recipient's responsibility.

Source: http://shop.xtreamer.net/Support/que...?questionid=24

Edit: I also found this it's Xtreamer's page on "Customs, Duties, and Taxes". However, be warned this page looks like another copy and paste job taken from another site.

I think that due to this, "Eligible items sent via International Shipping will have an estimated Import Fees Deposit applied to the order. Orders for some types of products may only be sent via International Shipping and to certain eligible countries. Orders for Cables, Car Kits, that are Expedited International Shipping will not include an estimated Import Fees Deposit."

They sell car kits and cables?

Anyway here is the source: http://shop.xtreamer.net/Support/que...?questionid=52 if you wanna read a little more about their duty taxes.
post #100 of 2071 Old 06-19-2009, 10:41 PM

From the forums, a comment in response to the question whether the Xtreamer is just a rebadged MvixMCE:

Quote:

As you know Mvix is a major Xtreamer contributor so naturally we had access to the best their R&D people had to offer. But is there a difference? Yes. You will see.

post #101 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Check it out, MPC Club weighs in on Mvix MCE vs Xtreamer:

Quote:

MPC Club News Mix 20 June, 2009

... The xStreamer and the Mvix MCE are the same products almost. It seems as though the MCE is tailored for regular sales wile the xStreamer targets to take on WDTV in big retail stores and will be sold from a single page online.

And says there are more 1283 Realtek based products coming, (note to sigma: it's on!!) EDIT: typo (1283 not 1238 sorry)

Quote:

- And another player is announced based on the 1283 Realtek chip and targets to be more powerfull and easier to handle than the TViX M-6500 (withouth DVB-T tuner though). The unit is expected to come on the market using using the name "Movie Palace". Here's a picture: http://www.rhisc.nl/jpeg/NEW_MKV_Player.jpg We did not research yet who made this player and which brand it comes from. Something on our ToDo list after our return. With this unit, at least 3 RealTek based units are pending review, with and withough DVB-T functionality.

omg Movie Palace is butt ugly IMHO. Xtreamer ftw.
post #102 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtwenty2009 View Post

Check it out, MPC Club weighs in on Mvix MCE vs Xtreamer:

And says there are more 1238 Realtek based products coming, (note to sigma: it's on!!)

omg Movie Palace is butt ugly IMHO. Xtreamer ftw.

Is it the 1238 or the Realtek 128X ?

They call it 128X on some pages and 1238 on others. (Xtreamer does)

Edit: My guess was the X stands for the different models, like a 1237, 1268, ect. (This is simply a guess, I have no idea if that's true.)

Also, I know your active over on the Xtreamer forums, do you think you could ask about the hardware specs of the units? IE: The chips speeds, ram in the unit, ect? You mentioned Sigma, I like the fact with them your able to see the speed off all thier chips, type of ram in their units, ect. I don't know what to really think about the Realtek 128X, because all we know about it is, it's called the Realtek 128x. So knowing they are putting it in more models kinda means nothing to us. Unless they tell are a little more transparent about the specs.
post #103 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 07:28 AM

more important than the chipset is the software

we have many players with sigma 8635 and with different bugs.....

files that we can play with nmt and not with wd,quality of image in divx better in wdtv than in nmt...

and the MHZ isnt important because the chips are designed in a different way
post #104 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Also, I know your active over on the Xtreamer forums, do you think you could ask about the hardware specs of the units? IE: The chips speeds, ram in the unit, ect?

I asked for specifics and they declined to answer. First saying something to the effect of 'oh it's very fast, faster then sigma chips' etc. And when I asked for specific frequencies, declining to answer, appearing perturbed, saying they were overwhelmed with questions and would answer at a "future date".

Quote:

You mentioned Sigma, I like the fact with them your able to see the speed off all thier chips, type of ram in their units, ect. I don't know what to really think about the Realtek 128X, because all we know about it is, it's called the Realtek 128x. So knowing they are putting it in more models kinda means nothing to us. Unless they tell are a little more transparent about the specs.

+1 I think a big part of the reviews that many people will be watching for will focus on the showdown between Realtek vs Sigma. PQ, Speeds, Efficiency, Compatibility, power consumption, heat. People want to know the answers to these questions and more. Xtreamer has put a lot of its credibility in promoting the Realtek chips as the jesus-chips of the new MPC age and constantly saying they are better than the sigma chips. Really waiting for some independent reviews to tackle this important question thoroughly.
post #105 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybman View Post

more important than the chipset is the software

we have many players with sigma 8635 and with different bugs.....

files that we can play with nmt and not with wd,quality of image in divx better in wdtv than in nmt...

and the MHZ isnt important because the chips are designed in a different way

Yep. Hopefully the fact that the Xtreamer will be an open source project will help a lot in that way. I really hope we can attract quality developers like the dude who develops the custom WD firmwares, and others. It will really help optimize the Xtreamer in a way WD never would allow.
post #106 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 AM

I also love the fact the Xtreamer is open source!

Cybman: I also do agree that firmware is more important. I'm simply saying I'm not ready to crown the Realtek as the better chip without any info about it.

Also while I don't think specs are the definite measure of performance. Knowing the speed of a chip is much more helpful than knowing it's, very fast, faster then sigma chips. Which was basically the response fourtwenty2009 posted he received from his email.

Edit: In my experience companies post specs of thier products if they feel it's something to brag about. If they don't feel it's something to brag about the simply post the name of the product, IE: Realtek 128X. Calling it very fast, and extremely powerful. It leaves it up to your imagination.

I think if the Realtek 128X had similar specs to the new Sigma going into the C-200, it would be all over Xtreamers site. If the chip has similar specs to the older sigma chips (or worse) it's better to no say anything. It's just good marketing.
post #107 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I also love the fact the Xtreamer is open source!

Cybman: I also do agree that firmware is more important. I'm simply saying I'm not ready to crown the Realtek as the better chip without any info about it.

Also while I don't think specs are the definite measure of performance. Knowing the speed of a chip is much more helpful than knowing it's, "very fast, faster then sigma chips". Which was the response fourtwenty2009 posted he received from his email.

Careful with the quotation marks there ruktuim I was paraphrasing. Quotes from Xtreamer regarding claims about the supremacy of their Realtek chip can be found on page one, or for your convenience below.

Quote:

XTREAMER: "Realtek 1283(x) it is a special project of unicorn-Realtek with better specs to the [Sigma] SMP8654 [chipset]"

Quote:

XTREAMER: "Yes it can. You have to remember that Realtek chipsets are usually a lot better at handling the picture quality than Sigma products. And the Xtreamer runs on a very special chip indeed." (XtreamerAdmin)

Quote:

XTREAMER: "realtek 1283(x) is better than sigma 8654 or even 8655. its better in picture quality it has more memory bandwidth
and it has DTS Downmix"

Quote:

XTREAMER: "The Xtreamer is based on the more advanced chipset 1283(x) while the Asus [O!Play] device is based on the 1073 - which has a limited memory capcity, limited memory bandwidth and limited support for DTV signal and content."

post #108 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Careful with the quotation marks there ruktuim I was paraphrasing. Quotes from Xtreamer regarding claims about the supremacy of their Realtek chip can be found on page one, or for your convenience below.

I did email Realtek about 2 days ago, and asked about their chip, and for any specs/info they were willing to release about it.

So far sadly no response.
post #109 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Claiming a chip "more powerful" without ANY specs available on the Net is a promotional stunt...it may have better de-interlacing algorithms or may be able to demux mkv in hardware, but I doubt it will natively run L5.1 1080 at 16 reframes...
post #110 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

Claiming a chip "more powerful" without ANY specs available on the Net is a promotional stunt...it may have better de-interlacing algorithms or may be able to demux mkv in hardware, but I doubt it will natively run L5.1 1080 at 16 reframes...

I asked, they wouldn't answer. So no idea bout the Ref frames. But Xtreamer is the only player I'm familiar with that claims to run H.264 HP@L5.1 (a profile I personally don't give a flying fig about because Blu-rays are all @L4.1 now anyways).

Quote:

XTREAMER: "We believe should be no problem to play H. 264 HP@L5.1"

So rejoice everyone out there with improperly encoded video I guess!
post #111 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

I asked, they wouldn't answer. So no idea bout the Ref frames. But Xtreamer is the only player I'm familiar with that claims to run H.264 HP@L5.1 (a profile I personally don't give a flying fig about because Blu-rays are all @L4.1 now anyways).

So rejoice everyone out there with improperly encoded video I guess!

Note that Popcorn also plays @L5.1 but not natively, same as egreat...the xtreamer answer may only imply that the unit does play @L5.1 but not necessarily due to the more powerful video decoder chipset...
post #112 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

Over on the PlayOn!HD thread a video has been successfully played that is encoded @L5.1 1080 with 16 reference frames. The PlayOn!HD uses the same Realtek chip as the Xtreamer. You can download the file in question and check it out.

David
post #113 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

Over on the PlayOn!HD thread a video has been successfully played that is encoded @L5.1 1080 with 16 reference frames. The PlayOn!HD uses the same Realtek chip as the Xtreamer. You can download the file in question and check it out.

David

Sweet! Thanks for this info David.
post #114 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm guessing the first batch has sold out, as they have removed the 'few units left' notice from the front page. The second shipment of Xtreamer's will occur on August 1st according to an earlier update on the announcement page. Congratulations to everyone who got in on the first batch. Hopefully delivery goes without a hitch for all of us.

EDIT: Not so according to an update posted 06/21. Qty of 1st batch reportedly increased.
post #115 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

More on Xtreamer vs MvixMCE from the admin @ Xtreamer.net forums:

Quote:

XTREAMER: "Xtreamer is not MCE

This is answer we got from the Mvix MCE product manager

"MCE is a project that is aimed at retail market...

Not same chipset
Not same price
Not same memory
Not Same Gui
Not Same Tooling

totally different concept behind it.

The MCE project is under the sole control of Unicron Mvix. Xtreamer is not.

MCE project was postponed and will be expected within few month for announcement.

The Xtreamer will have open source while the MCE will not""

post #116 of 2071 Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 PM

Ah, just wanted to post the same quote.
post #117 of 2071 Old 06-21-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing the first batch has sold out, as they have removed the 'few units left' notice from the front page. The second shipment of Xtreamer's will occur on August 1st according to an earlier update on the announcement page. Congratulations to everyone who got in on the first batch. Hopefully delivery goes without a hitch for all of us.

It's good news for me that the first batch is sold out as I want to wait for you guys to test the Xtreamer out and then we will see what does and doesn't work, what the perfomance is like and whether the Xtreamer is worth buying. By 1st August there should also be some magazine reviews as well. I will order in time to get the free wireless N dongle though.

David
post #118 of 2071 Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's good news for me that the first batch is sold out as I want to wait for you guys to test the Xtreamer out and then we will see what does and doesn't work, what the perfomance is like and whether the Xtreamer is worth buying. By 1st August there should also be some magazine reviews as well. I will order in time to get the free wireless N dongle though.

FYI: To get the free dongle you would have to order by July 1st, I don't think anyone will have reviewed or seen the Xtreamer before then as that is the scheduled shipping day for the first batch.

First reviews would be in I would guess around July 10th-15th, and I'm again guessing most of these will be user reviews.

As has previously been reported MPC Club has been tapped as the first independent entity to review the Xtreamer, currently they [MPC] are on hiatus until July 3rd and when they left they had not yet received the Xtreamer and had 8 other projects to review in the pipe (presumably before the Xtreamer.) Which means even if MPC Club did a review a day upon return from their break, we probably wouldn't see the first website Xtreamer review until mid-July, competing with the first user reviews (if shipping goes as planned).
post #119 of 2071 Old 06-21-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:

David

Doh! Just seen that Xtreamer have increased the quantity available in the first batch, how does that work? Where did they get them from?

I guess it is good selling to create an illusion that they are selling out to increase orders and then at the last minute release some more.

David
post #120 of 2071 Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

EDIT:

Quote:

Due to overwhelming amount of interest and orders for the xtreamer

We decided to pospote shipments for dealers to the 2nd batch

Hence, more units will be availabe for private users for 1st batch

500 units left