post #2071 of 2071 Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dembala View Post

Guys,
I'm looking at Xtreamer DVD. I need your advice. I'm not a newbee for media players, i've been in this business for some time. Currently i have a WDTV LIve Streamer (gen3) which kind of sux. Does what it should but it's slow and feature poor.
What I would like to achieve is that i can finally entirely disconnect my DVD player and the WDTV Live and have only one device for the following purposes:
- Play original DVDs
- Play Xvid DVD rips and 1080p H.264 MKV content mostly from my Synology NAS through a wired LAN connection
- Play HIGHRES Youtube videos and possibly some other content from the net
- And be able to use Airplay, so that my iTunes music and videos from my iphone can be played wirelessly on my stereo / TV set. (Youtube, iTunes)
Please let me know your thoughts whether this can be safely achieved by Xtreamer DVD without too much hassle and whether this product is stable enough to serve me for this purposes on the daily basis. The price tag is very attractive, same price as for an Apple TV that would do only the Airplay connectivity not the rest.
Thanks for your thoughts. If someone already has this thing, please share your thoughts on stability and useablity.

Xtreamer DVD is based on the original Xtreamer Sidewinder hardware with a DVD player. So it is a quite old design, considering that the Xtreamer Sidewinder was discontinued about two years ago.

With that said, I still have an original Xtreamer and it is a quite capable player.

So I believe your first two requirements (play original DVDs, DVD rips and 1080p MKVs) will be satisfied by Xtreamer DVD,

However playing online contents is very limited on the Xtreamer. YouTube app is buggy, and when it works, it crashes all the time. Airplay is not stable as well (actually I am not sure if it works...). Xtreamer is known for "over marketing" their products, so read the product specs in the Xtreamer website with a grain of salt.

For online contents (YouTube, Netflix) AppleTV is much better (as well as other options as Roku 2). You can also plan upgrading your TV for a "smart TV" model. All 2012 and newer connected TVs are MUCH better than Xtreamer DVD regarding online contents.

Another option is to replace your DVD player by a connected Samsung or LG *blu-ray* player (Sony players do not play MKVs). The new players support YouTube, Netflix (and some Hulu Plus), they play your original DVDs and they can play MKVs and AVIs either via USB or via network through DLNA. However these players do not play DVD ISO rips.

Just my 2 cents...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page