Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1256 Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcalibur View Post

well i am runing a 7200rmp drive. those green drives dont spin as fast as my regular WD 7200rmp drive thyats in the unit. anyways...im gonna drill a few holes in the cover to help with the heat since the mvix unit doesnt have a setting where the HD can power down if not in use like a pc does. my unit is in a open environment but its still kinda warm/hot

xxcalibur, you know what? I have a Seagate 7200 hard drive that I originally put into my previous Mvix unit, the 760HD. That unit has a processor that runs much cooler than the Ultio's processor, and even so, with the 7200 drive in the 760, it ran HOT to the touch. Once I took it out and replaced it with a WD green hard drive, the 760 ran completely cool. As far as noticing any difference in the way the files play when comparing a 7200 with a 5400 drive, I can tell you that both play all my files with the same results in picture and sound quality. I don't experience any loss in frames whatsoever. So if you want your Ultio to feel alot cooler, allowing it to last alot longer, I would suggest trying one of those WD green drives. I think you'll be glad you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1256 Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM

Hello all! I've read nearly all post here. A lot of information. I have been a Mvix consumer for about two years. I own two MX-780HD and have had medium success with them. I have them wired networked to a giga switch with an MvixBox, Linkstattion and connected to the two televisions in my home and for the most part do OK. Most of my files are DVD .iso. I bought the Utlio with hope have experiencing better playback, which so far it has done.
So, comparatively - it is better then the MX-780HD. Problem is, two Ultio's don't like sharing the same LAN connection (since you can not have same named network devices).
I have found a simple but temporary work-around on this problem but I would like to be able to change the Venus network name of one of the two Ultio's. I've been told by Mvix they hope to fix this in future firmware but there seems to be some code writers following this topic that might help with this. I think it would be great to network two or more Ultio's around the house or office. Derek seemed like a possible source

I've tried venturing into code before with the Nokia tablet I had and never could master (muster) the skill.

I too have issues with not having DVD iso direct menu access. I never thought to try my MX-780HD remote to see if maybe...........
I will check that as well as other "media" remotes I have just to see if something "clicks" to the DVD menu.

I would appreciate any help or guidence on the network naming of the Ultio. I would like to keep them on the same LAN - if that is possible.

Thanks!
post #363 of 1256 Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I had that with a fairly low power hard drive. In addition I didn't like the fan noise so I took out the drive and put it in a fanless enclosure and connected it via e-sata... Works great, Ultio is now silent and cool. Perhaps an SSD or a 2.5" laptop drive would be better for the internal drive. In any case if I were to put a 3.5" internal drive in there I'd look into 5400rpm drives or maybe even the WD green drives.

philip

I put the WD 1TB Green Drive in my Mvix780 and it runs cool. I put a Seagate 1.5tb 5900rpm drive in my Ultio and it runs nice and cool.

Can I hear the fan? Yes, Can I hear the hard drive? Yesssssss.

It was quiet until i installed the hard drive. Mounting it on all that plastic seems to make it vibrate and quite loud. I put some foam pads on the bottom of the drive and it helped some but I still hear it.
post #364 of 1256 Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

xxcalibur, you know what? I have a Seagate 7200 hard drive that I originally put into my previous Mvix unit, the 760HD.

I also had the Seagate 7200pm in my Mvix780 and it got so hot it froze up. When I opened it, it was too hot to touch. The WD Green drive does the job and cool.
post #365 of 1256 Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 AM

How can I make my Ultio's drive show up under MY COMPUTER with my other hard drives? Right now I can only see the Ultio listed under MY NETWORK PLACES, which means that I can't see how much space I have left on the drive inside my Ultio when connected to my network.
post #366 of 1256 Old 09-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Sorry that if I post my question in the wrong place.
Can the Mvix Ultio(as USB slave) connect to HAVA Titanium(USB Host) thru USB to record the video?
post #367 of 1256 Old 09-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Hi Everyone...

Sorry I haven't posted more.. I tend to just lurk if I don't have anything good to say. I've had my Ultio since day 1.

Just a few things ...

#1.. The firmware recovery procedure works well... I thought I had bricked my Ultio after stupidly unplugging the unit in the middle of a flash. (Bad stupid thing to do, but I didn't see any progress, just a black screen.)

#2 This is really a question.. it seems that in Firmware 1.2 the navigation buttons are also messed up, now on DVD menus (iso's, and real thing) Basically instead of navigating the menu, the buttons are actually fast forwarding and reversing, for left and right. I seem to remember this working properly in 1.1 (and even 1.0). Can someone else check theirs and confirm for me that I'm not crazy. I hope someone at Mvix realized this got botched if its true (and FIX IT) and hopefully not just something weird only effecting me.

Thanks!

Rich
post #368 of 1256 Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I put the WD 1TB Green Drive in my Mvix780 and it runs cool. I put a Seagate 1.5tb 5900rpm drive in my Ultio and it runs nice and cool.

Can I hear the fan? Yes, Can I hear the hard drive? Yesssssss.

It was quiet until i installed the hard drive. Mounting it on all that plastic seems to make it vibrate and quite loud. I put some foam pads on the bottom of the drive and it helped some but I still hear it.

The WD 1TB Green Drive uses 5.4 watts. The fan is mainly to get rid of hard drive heat (so no hard drive implies no need for a fan). Have you tried the WD drive without the fan working? Hitachi has a 2.5" 5400 rpm drive which only use 1.5 watts, so I suspect it could operate without a fan. Just not sure. It's 500megs.

The 1.5 watts seems to be even less than an SSD (they seem to require 2 watts).

That Seagate drive is really nice (6.8 watts for the 1.5 TB, 5.7 for the 1TB- so basically similar to the WD green drives).

I just couldn't go back to the built in fan. It drove me crazy. Perhaps one could have a silent fan to replace the one that is in there. The problem is that the fan doesn't realize when it's not required and so spins away even when there's no heat. That's the one thing I have against the Ultio. It has very minimal energy management with respect to the hard drive. I guess it makes sense since the drive is supposed to work when the unit is on, but if one is not accessing the drive there should be a way to make it idle.

The other thing I have noticed with the Ultio is that 1080p playback yields some "tearing" periodically. Put the unit to 720p and the video plays perfectly (am talking via hdmi and playing 720p files).

Still really like it a lot but it's a bit rough around the edges.

philip
post #369 of 1256 Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchGrav View Post

Hi Everyone...

Sorry I haven't posted more.. I tend to just lurk if I don't have anything good to say. I've had my Ultio since day 1.

Just a few things ...

#1.. The firmware recovery procedure works well... I thought I had bricked my Ultio after stupidly unplugging the unit in the middle of a flash. (Bad stupid thing to do, but I didn't see any progress, just a black screen.)

#2 This is really a question.. it seems that in Firmware 1.2 the navigation buttons are also messed up, now on DVD menus (iso's, and real thing) Basically instead of navigating the menu, the buttons are actually fast forwarding and reversing, for left and right. I seem to remember this working properly in 1.1 (and even 1.0). Can someone else check theirs and confirm for me that I'm not crazy. I hope someone at Mvix realized this got botched if its true (and FIX IT) and hopefully not just something weird only effecting me.

Thanks!

Rich

1.2 did mess up the keys. mvixusa is aware of the issue and they are going to make it right (at least that is what they told me).

philip
post #370 of 1256 Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:

How can I make my Ultio's drive show up under MY COMPUTER with my other hard drives? Right now I can only see the Ultio listed under MY NETWORK PLACES, which means that I can't see how much space I have left on the drive inside my Ultio when connected to my network.

If you google "map network drive" I think that may give you what you're looking for as far as getting the drive to show up, though I'm not so sure samba will report the amount of space left on the drive..
post #371 of 1256 Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 PM

About ready to pull the trigger on one.
Got to be better than my 780.

Couldn't find an answer in search.
I have many HD files in MPEG4 that are TRP files from an HD DVB receiver.
Basically MPEG4 transport files.

Can anybody confirm if these will play out of the box?

Right now, after I chain the files together, I either process them to MPEG2 PS or Xvid AVI with the AC-3 track just copied in.

It looks like it will play MKS's properly now from all the TV torrents out there.
post #372 of 1256 Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac6000 View Post

About ready to pull the trigger on one.
Got to be better than my 780.

Couldn't find an answer in search.
I have many HD files in MPEG4 that are TRP files from an HD DVB receiver.
Basically MPEG4 transport files.

Can anybody confirm if these will play out of the box?

Right now, after I chain the files together, I either process them to MPEG2 PS or Xvid AVI with the AC-3 track just copied in.

It looks like it will play MKS's properly now from all the TV torrents out there.

My ultio seems to be quite comfortable with MOST of the mp4's I've encoded myself. Every once in a while it will barf on one, but I've screwed around a lot in experimenting with encoding so it may be my fault. If you have a link to a small sample that I could download, I'd be willing to try it out.

-rozz
post #373 of 1256 Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post

If you google "map network drive" I think that may give you what you're looking for as far as getting the drive to show up, though I'm not so sure samba will report the amount of space left on the drive..

I can confirm that once the drive is mapped, it will report like a regular drive showing used space as well as available space. I don't know about a connected USB drive (Ultio being the Host), if it will show up.

To map a drive, right click on my computer and select "Map a Network Drive" then browse. Look for "Venus" and select.
post #374 of 1256 Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilly View Post

I will check that as well as other "media" remotes I have just to see if something "clicks" to the DVD menu.

Thanks!

Other Mvix remotes are NOT compatiable. I am still trying other remotes. I have a Phillips Prestigo that can "learn" . Still working on the learn part for the Ultio.
post #375 of 1256 Old 09-09-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks, rozz, I mapped the drive, and it will tell you the amount of space used on my Ultio drive. Thanks again!
post #376 of 1256 Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 PM

I know they forgot a MENU button on the Ultio (as well as a TITLE button) for DVD ISO files, but is it technically possible to actually create those buttons through a firmware upgrade? If so, how could this be done? Wouldn't we need extra buttons on our Ultio's remote that don't already exist on it? Wouldn't doing this through a firmware upgrade also neccesitate creating a new frequency for the ULTIO to understand? I'm confused over this. I mean, I know there are universal remote controls that you can program new IR frenquencies to, and they could work that way, but would it be possible to actually program the Ultio to understand those frequencies and tell the device to translate it into recreating the actions of pushing a MENU and TITLE button on a DVD player?
post #377 of 1256 Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:

I know they forgot a MENU button on the Ultio (as well as a TITLE button) for DVD ISO files, but is it technically possible to actually create those buttons through a firmware upgrade? If so, how could this be done? Wouldn't we need extra buttons on our Ultio's remote that don't already exist on it? Wouldn't doing this through a firmware upgrade also neccesitate creating a new frequency for the ULTIO to understand? I'm confused over this. I mean, I know there are universal remote controls that you can program new IR frenquencies to, and they could work that way, but would it be possible to actually program the Ultio to understand those frequencies and tell the device to translate it into recreating the actions of pushing a MENU and TITLE button on a DVD player?

Yes, they can configure buttons to perform certain responses. As far as how to create the button on the current remotes - they could just assign one of the unused buttons in DVD play such as "GOTO" or the "0" or even "SELECT". Any of these buttons could serve the unique assign function in media play back.
post #378 of 1256 Old 09-10-2009, 05:56 PM

For what it's worth I was able to create a login account on the mvix ultio forum today.

http://ultio800.diggsnet.com/

Unfortunately, it appears to be a useless forum.
post #379 of 1256 Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For what it's worth I was able to create a login account on the mvix ultio forum today.

http://ultio800.diggsnet.com/

Unfortunately, it appears to be a useless forum.

This seems new. The other forum still won't send the activation code. It's at:

http://mvixcommunity.com/showforum.p...rd/mvix-ultio/

This forum seems to have the most activity. I'm quite confused with the mvix, mvix(usa), Unicorn, etc... They all seem to be at odds. Then there are the other media players that seem very similar.

I'm happy with the Ultio, but I still wonder about the longterm viability of most of these multi-codec players and for that reason I wouldn't spend a whole lot on any of them. The Ultio is at the limit of what I'd pay. Western Digital has the right idea with their pricing. Will see, I guess.

Is an easy install of ftp possible under 1.2 ?

philip
post #380 of 1256 Old 09-10-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

Hey All,

I have a bunch of ISOs stored on the internal hard drive (the 1.5 GB drive that I ordered along with the Ultio from the MvixUSA website). On about 3/4s of the ISOs, I experience persistance freezes (about one a minute) while playing them. However, it is not consistent, as some ISOs play just fine.

The REALLY curious thing is that if I play these exact same ISOs from an external USB drive or over the network, they play just fine.

What could cause that type of problem? Should I offload the contents of the hard drive and reformat it? The drive has not otherwise given me any indication that these is a problem...

Don

Just wanted to provide an update. Since I did not get any feedback on my post, I assumed that the problem was with my unit. So, I reformatted the internal drive, and then copied over an ISO that was giving me problems.

Sure enough, the freezes still occurred. Deciding to give formatting one more try, I went into the setup menu and noticed the "video" tab. On a hunch, I went thru the options and noticed that I had TV SYSTEM set to "NTSC". Well, that seemed like a logical setting for my TV and DVDs, but I went into the options for that submenu and changed the type to "HDMI Auto". When I went back to play the ISO, it played flawlessly! However, now my ISOs of non-anamorphic DVDs are not stretched. I had to set the type to 480p to get the stretch back. I could live without the stretch, but it bugs my wife not to have the screen filled, so I guess that I am doomed to switch this setting from 480p to 1080p and back depending on my content.

Anybody have any idea why this setting ("NTSC") should cause a problem to ISO playback? Also, what is the advantages/disadvantages of setting this to HDMI Auto vs 1080p/60hz (which my tv supports)?

Don
post #381 of 1256 Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

Just wanted to provide an update. Since I did not get any feedback on my post, I assumed that the problem was with my unit. So, I reformatted the internal drive, and then copied over an ISO that was giving me problems.

Sure enough, the freezes still occurred. Deciding to give formatting one more try, I went into the setup menu and noticed the "video" tab. On a hunch, I went thru the options and noticed that I had TV SYSTEM set to "NTSC". Well, that seemed like a logical setting for my TV and DVDs, but I went into the options for that submenu and changed the type to "HDMI Auto". When I went back to play the ISO, it played flawlessly! However, now my ISOs of non-anamorphic DVDs are not stretched. I had to set the type to 480p to get the stretch back. I could live without the stretch, but it bugs my wife not to have the screen filled, so I guess that I am doomed to switch this setting from 480p to 1080p and back depending on my content.

Anybody have any idea why this setting ("NTSC") should cause a problem to ISO playback? Also, what is the advantages/disadvantages of setting this to HDMI Auto vs 1080p/60hz (which my tv supports)?

Don

I had the similar problem with my MX-780 players, not with freezing but certainly playback was often stuttered or out of sync. Once I set for a lower resolution (480) it played fine and the display difference was not noticeable.
I found with the Ultio I find the auto worked the best with my two LCD televisions connected via HDMI. Something you might try is the setting on your TV to auto fit the video to the screen (like an auto zoom) so you don't get the black bars. I have a Samsung and a Phillips and both allow me to set the video aspect to fill entire screen.
The advantage to having the Ultio to auto is if your iso is not 1080 the Ultio will automatically adjust. I don't recall the Ultio being able to upconvert. But then again, the Ultio is supposed to adjust to the TV, not to the video format. Since having mine in auto I have not experienced any playback problems.
post #382 of 1256 Old 09-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Is an easy install of ftp possible under 1.2 ?

philip

You're not giving up on this ftp request, are you? - LOL. Yes, I have ftp working. It's no better than samba as far as transfer speed goes, so I never bother using it. Is it as easy to install as my first package? No, not quite. I don't have the time to try and make it so. If you're willing to execute a few commands from the shell prompt, I could package up an install if you're interested. Maybe this weekend. Honestly, I've sort of put my Ultio development on the shelf for now and I'm concentrating on a real HTPC using MediaPortal as a front end.
post #383 of 1256 Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're not giving up on this ftp request, are you? - LOL. Yes, I have ftp working. It's no better than samba as far as transfer speed goes, so I never bother using it. Is it as easy to install as my first package? No, not quite. I don't have the time to try and make it so. If you're willing to execute a few commands from the shell prompt, I could package up an install if you're interested. Maybe this weekend. Honestly, I've sort of put my Ultio development on the shelf for now and I'm concentrating on a real HTPC using MediaPortal as a front end.

Sorry to hear about your vacation from the Ultio, but I do understand the appeals of an HTPC.

I don't mind command line commands at all and would really appreciate an ftp package. It's not so much a transfer issue as I just prefer ftp to smb. It's more convenient for my setup.

philip
post #384 of 1256 Old 09-12-2009, 04:56 PM

DO NOT BUY FROM MIVX:

The Mivx Ultio looked good on paper, so I searched for a place to buy it. Both ThinkGeek and MivxUSA had it for sale at the same price. I selected Mivx figuring I would get better treatment from the manufacturer. Boy was I wrong. The unit I was sent had scratch marks on the back by the cable inputs, indicating to me that it had been previously used. The manual looked previuosly read with bent pages. When I plugged the unit in, it was frozen on the start page. The remote did not work and the buttons on the unit did not work (except for the side arrow). I contacted Tech support, and was told to update the firmware. I tried, but the unit would not respond.

THEN IT GOT WORSE:

Mivx told me I had to send the unit back at my expense FOR REPAIR--NOT REPLACEMENT! That's right, they contend a unit that does not work out of the box is not replaced with a new functioning unit, but repaired instead. Better yet, I was told to review their terms stating it would take 2 weeks or more to analyze and fix the unit. If it can not be fixed, they contend I can be sent a refurb. I told Mivx I would have received better treatment from ThinkGeek because I would have received a new unit in return with shipping reimbursed, but Mivx was unmoved.

If you seek a full refund, it can get even worse. Mivx posts that 100% of the purchase price, exclusive of shipping, will be returned for UNOPENED ITEMS. If you are like me, and need to open the item to see if it works, you apparently now fall outside of their full refund terms. For return of open box items, damaged or not, Mivx claims it will deduct 15%. WHAT A SCAM.

I have built several computers and build computers for friends. I own several media players, including Hauppauge, Linksys and Tvix models. I know how to make these things work--mine was broken. I was looking to upgrade with .TS and .TP support. I made a mistake buying from Mvix.

Please don't make my mistake. Research other players and their customer support. Popcorn Hour and Tvix are other such options. If you must buy this thing, don't buy from Mivx. If you do buy from Mivx, know going in that they may send you a non-working unit which entitles you, at best, to a refurb replacement. You will also be stuck paying shipping. You will never get a full refund.

AND THE ABSOLUTE SADDEST THING IS THAT THEY POST A 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE ON THEIR WEBSITE!
post #385 of 1256 Old 09-12-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 1 View Post

Mivx told me I had to send the unit back at my expense FOR REPAIR--NOT REPLACEMENT!

They'll replace it if it can't be repaired. My Ultio stopped working after less than a month. It took over 2 weeks to sort out the RMA details, and nearly 3 more for them to tell me they couldn't fix it and are sending me a new one. I suspect that most defective units get replaced, but I guess they want to cover their bases and give fixing it a shot first.

At the request of their tech support, I included a 320GB hard drive I had purchased separately and installed in the unit. Support claimed that having the drive would allow them to troubleshoot easier and that they could "load it up" with the latest applications. It seemed odd, but I left the drive installed anyway. Now that I'm getting a replacement, I'm a bit nervous that it will come sans-HDD.

According to the latest email, it should ship back to me no later than Monday.
post #386 of 1256 Old 09-12-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

They'll replace it if it can't be repaired. My Ultio stopped working after less than a month. It took over 2 weeks to sort out the RMA details, and nearly 3 more for them to tell me they couldn't fix it and are sending me a new one. I suspect that most defective units get replaced, but I guess they want to cover their bases and give fixing it a shot first.

At the request of their tech support, I included a 320GB hard drive I had purchased separately and installed in the unit. Support claimed that having the drive would allow them to troubleshoot easier and that they could "load it up" with the latest applications. It seemed odd, but I left the drive installed anyway. Now that I'm getting a replacement, I'm a bit nervous that it will come sans-HDD.

According to the latest email, it should ship back to me no later than Monday.

Sounds like a similar runaround. I think a failure in the 1st 30 days should net a new unit. That is what would happen with a Newegg or Amazon return. Certainly if the unit never worked, as in my case, I should get a new working unit.

I hope it works out for you.
post #387 of 1256 Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your vacation from the Ultio, but I do understand the appeals of an HTPC.

I don't mind command line commands at all and would really appreciate an ftp package. It's not so much a transfer issue as I just prefer ftp to smb. It's more convenient for my setup.

philip

Here's the ftp package I came up with for the Ultio. Requires telnet access to install and run. The zip file includes the package and install instructions. Can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mdz1m3z1mn2/UltioFtp.zip

-rozz
post #388 of 1256 Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilly View Post

Problem is, two Ultio's don't like sharing the same LAN connection (since you can not have same named network devices).
I have found a simple but temporary work-around on this problem but I would like to be able to change the Venus network name of one of the two Ultio's. I've been told by Mvix they hope to fix this in future firmware but there seems to be some code writers following this topic that might help with this. I think it would be great to network two or more Ultio's around the house or office. Derek seemed like a possible source

I would appreciate any help or guidence on the network naming of the Ultio. I would like to keep them on the same LAN - if that is possible.

Thanks!

Interesting problem.. I suppose whomever develops the Linux OS for mvix never thought of 2 of their devices on the same network. I looked into it and the problem is actually worse than I thought.

You can change the hostname of the one of the boxes with the comand "hostname WhateverNameYouWant". That fixes the first problem.

The second problem goes a little deeper. Turns out that the Ultio developers didn't do such a hot job of implementing their Ethernet drivers. All Ultio boxes share the exact same MAC address of 00:11:22:33:44:55 . That can't be good either and will undoubtedly keep network communications screwed up even if you change the hostname.

The third problem is that the developers also crippled the "ifconfig" command (part of the busybox utilities) which could normally be used to reset the MAC address to whatever you wanted.

Yep, they have some high quality people working on developing the Ultio software and yes, I'm being facetious. Commercially distributing networked devices that all share the same MAC address is pretty much unforgivable.

Can these things be fixed in the current version of firmware? Anything can be fixed, but this one would require a fair amount of effort - at least for me. Should I decide to solve this one I'll let you know. Otherwise, stick with your current workaround and don't hold your breath waiting on Mvix.

-rozz
post #389 of 1256 Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Interesting problem.. I suppose whomever develops the Linux OS for mvix never thought of 2 of their devices on the same network. I looked into it and the problem is actually worse than I thought.

You can change the hostname of the one of the boxes with the comand "hostname WhateverNameYouWant". That fixes the first problem.

The second problem goes a little deeper. Turns out that the Ultio developers didn't do such a hot job of implementing their Ethernet drivers. All Ultio boxes share the exact same MAC address of 00:11:22:33:44:55 . That can't be good either and will undoubtedly keep network communications screwed up even if you change the hostname.

The third problem is that the developers also crippled the "ifconfig" command (part of the busybox utilities) which could normally be used to reset the MAC address to whatever you wanted.

Yep, they have some high quality people working on developing the Ultio software and yes, I'm being facetious. Commercially distributing networked devices that all share the same MAC address is pretty much unforgivable.

Can these things be fixed in the current version of firmware? Anything can be fixed, but this one would require a fair amount of effort - at least for me. Should I decide to solve this one I'll let you know. Otherwise, stick with your current workaround and don't hold your breath waiting on Mvix.

-rozz

Rozz, thanks for the input. You've gotten farther than I have as far as looking into the config settings. But, something I have found is that no one from Mvix is writing code, settings or configs. It is all being done by either RealTek or a 3rd party.
I did do some other exploring in the Ultio's settings changing the network to manual and entered in unique I.P. addresses for each of the Ultio's which got them "talking" on my LAN but not independently "seen" in the network I would guess because of the same name issue.

It would seem like a big mistake to assume only one Ultio on any one network. Afterall, who has just one T.V. anymore - for that matter who has just one P.C.?
post #390 of 1256 Old 09-14-2009, 03:30 PM

I made some progress working with the images. I can create my own but Ultio wont recognize them as firmware. Please let me know if you know how to deal with it. Here are my notes http://www.yazzy.org/docs/ultio/ultio-developing.txt.
BTW did any of you manage to install the 1.3 firmware? My ultio says it's invalid. I'm getting sick of this crappy box... I would've returned it long time ago if I didn't have to pay 40 bucks to ship it back to the USA.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page