Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1256 Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallybigabe View Post

Even those modest refineries on the GUI look way better to me.
I would love to see IMDB support though. Not the crappy 'download-to-jpg' version on the Xtreamer, though, obviously mimicking xbmc / plex etc.

After nearly a full week with a barrage of emails, and 3 voice messages to taiwan, still no word back from Realtek on ANYTHING.

Its kind of hard to procure something when they won't even talk to you. Not even a generic PR cut'n'paste.

That GUI does look better but I wonder how much more functional it is. Certainly not worth the $320 or so that it would cost in the U.S.

Nice attempts on dealing with Realtek. Wondering if it will ever amount to anything.

I've already been spending time on building a real HTPC running MediaPortal. I'll tell you, it's real easy to get used to things like a slick interface, IMDB support, and being able to play just about any format.

As far as the internals of the Ultio, best I've been able to determine is that most everything interesting relating to video is under control of one massive 7mb binary - DvdPlayer. Not a stitch of info or source code on that one.

-rozz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1256 Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 PM

Just to try to organize some information I did this before going to bed tonight.

It's somewhat ad-heavy but it's a start. I'm going to keep harassing until I get some answers about DvdPlayer.

From what I've started discovering from MHDworld is that the battle Emtec fought is due to the nature of the proprietary decoders built in such as WMV and Real-HD etc. As much as this may have merit if RealTek shelled out gazillions for licensing, there is obviously GPL-friendly versions of these somewhere under the hood of VLC and XBMC.
post #453 of 1256 Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltuna View Post

hi guys,

i haven't actually contacted customer services as it seems from reading these threads i'll probably get a lot more help on here then i will on there.

I'm exeriencing problems with my ultio. it was working fine but now seems to be freezing at exactly 14:18, on nearly all the mp4 files i throw at it. does anyone know why?

i'm in the UK and recently got stung for £66 import duty on top of the price so dont really want to be sending it back to the states. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and have done any firmware upgrades or anything in that time.

I sincerely appreciate any support

I have a suggestion that may work: try changing the video type in the setup menu. I assume that you have it set for "PAL". Try changing it to HDMI or 480P and see if the problem goes away.

Don
post #454 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
A week and a half after my replacement Ultio was supposedly shipped (6 weeks after I first contacted support about it being defective), it has finally arrived. Luckily it did include the 320GB HD I had sent back with the old one, as well as a new remote and cables. It seems they've taken some of the (deserved) criticism to heart and relabeled some of the buttons on the remote to reflect the fixes in the latest firmware. It seems to be working so far, but the last one worked for a few weeks before crapping out, so only time will tell.
post #455 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

A week and a half after my replacement Ultio was supposedly shipped (6 weeks after I first contacted support about it being defective), it has finally arrived. Luckily it did include the 320GB HD I had sent back with the old one, as well as a new remote and cables. It seems they've taken some of the (deserved) criticism to heart and relabeled some of the buttons on the remote to reflect the fixes in the latest firmware. It seems to be working so far, but the last one worked for a few weeks before crapping out, so only time will tell.

Thanks for the update. They've had mine for 5+ weeks; said they were waiting for stock. I told them I would take a used 780hd or 760hd in exchange, but they don't have any of those. Based on your experience, maybe my replacement will ship soon.
post #456 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

I have a suggestion that may work: try changing the video type in the setup menu. I assume that you have it set for "PAL". Try changing it to HDMI or 480P and see if the problem goes away.

Don

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have it set at hdmi auto a this is what it has worked on before.. why would it be necessary to lower the res? the files are 720p?

thanks again
post #457 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 02:19 AM

also when it gets to 14:18 and freezes i am then able to skip through the movie at any speed but if i try and play it at ant point then it reverts back to the beginning
post #458 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 AM

Is Mvix working on movie jukebox interface like the one on Xtreamer?

post #459 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Last I checked (within 2 weeks) the Xtreamer Movie Jukebox was still in development.
Its all over the website, and promised with the product, but not delivered. Essentially, it looks very similiar to the Ultio upon arrival.

They do, however, have a small app that basically scrubs IMDB and outputs into JPGs that show up in the preview window, apparently its a nightmare to get it working.

Upon first glance, I was totally pissed that I bought the Ultio instead of Xtreamer, but now, it looks totally comparable.

Theyre development team though is much more active on their forums. Which would be quite nice to see from MVix. They're next on my phone calling harassment.
post #460 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Sorry, just to back up what I'm saying so I don't sound like an Mvix sales rep, check the couple of youtube vids on the gui, and read their forums.
post #461 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM

just noticed, this may help some of you more savvy folk:

This google search shows up a whole chunk of a forum for "Developers". I believe the N200 is the same chipset, but dont' quote me. Apparently, and I can only access the forums through googles cache, not by clicking on the link, there seems to be promises of the dvdplayer source codes as well as discussion on it.
post #462 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushix View Post

Is Mvix working on movie jukebox interface like the one on Xtreamer?

You mean the one that doesn't work and may never work? Developing software like that takes money, and these streamers are all very low-margin devices. The Ultio, Xtreamer, etc are great for what they are, but you're just plain expecting too much.

If you need a fancy UI, either get a NMT with one of the several (working) 3rd party addons or get an Apple TV and install XBMC or Boxee.
post #463 of 1256 Old 09-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

If you need a fancy UI, either get a NMT with one of the several (working) 3rd party addons or get an Apple TV and install XBMC or Boxee.

It looks like the upcoming FreeAgent Theater+ HD will have a UI that is somewhere in between a text UI and a "fancy UI". Now we just have to hope that the FreeAgent Theater+ HD doesn't otherwise suck. It is likely that it won't suck any worse than any other realtek based player. Maybe seagate will be the first to merge cheap low-end hardware with a semi-pleasant UI.
post #464 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post

For what it's worth I was able to create a login account on the mvix ultio forum today.

Unfortunately, it appears to be a useless forum.

Hey Rozz and others....

I made that site just a few weeks ago just for the Ultio 800. It is not advertised but if you own or want to just talk about that device, it could be a good place to get some good conversations going. It doesn't matter to me if it becomes popular or not....I put it up just because I bought one and wanted to talk to other people about it. I also figured since there is no dedicated forum for the Ultio 800 maybe that could be used. Thanks!
Mike.
post #465 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 04:51 AM

Hi guys, still having probs with my unit.

i apologise if some of these questions are a bit lame but i'm not very technical and struggling to get the thing to work.
still having freezing issues.

i was advised by the mvix support to use the firmware upgrade 1.3

i dloaded and tried to copy it over to ultio when plugged in to usb?? is this how to do it?
i got an error message of ! C:\\Documents and Settings\\Neil\\My Documents\\MvixUSA_Ultio_Firmware_V1.3_September_12_2009.zip : The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

i appreciate any help guys and seems to be more helpful here than there support team.
let me know if i need to post this elsewhere

thanks
post #466 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 AM

how do i install firmware 1.3?
post #467 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:

how do i install firmware 1.3?

http://www.mvixusa.com/support/knowl...+Ultio%3F.html
post #468 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 AM

thanks for the reply reallbigabe.

i have dloaded it and unzipped it to get an img file but whn i try and put it on a usb stick to transfer to the ultio i get the following message

C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gail\\My Documents\\MvixUSA_Ultio_Firmware_V1.3_September_12_2009.zip : Unexpected end of archive

really appreciate your help
post #469 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:

thanks for the reply reallbigabe.

i have dloaded it and unzipped it to get an img file but whn i try and put it on a usb stick to transfer to the ultio i get the following message

C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gail\\My Documents\\MvixUSA_Ultio_Firmware_V1.3_September_12_2009.zip : Unexpected end of archive

really appreciate your help

Your download is screwed up. Maybe you tried unzipping it before it was finished downloading? Not sure, also, I'm not familiar with how good the built-in zip program on windows is anymore, I've been a mac user too long.

Moral is: Redownload the new firmware. Unzip it. Wipe a USB stick clean (not the ultio plugged in via usb). Copy the two files onto the usb stick. Jam it in your ultio. Proceed to upgrade firmware, then walk away and come back in at least half an hour - it saves the headache of 'OMG the screen is blank!'
post #470 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallybigabe View Post

Moral is: Redownload the new firmware. Unzip it. Wipe a USB stick clean (not the ultio plugged in via usb). Copy the two files onto the usb stick. Jam it in your ultio. Proceed to upgrade firmware, then walk away and come back in at least half an hour - it saves the headache of 'OMG the screen is blank!'

Sounds like it wasn't unzipped to me too. But when I update my FW it only takes about 5 minutes and my screen shows the progress. Not sure what you mean about a blank screen.
post #471 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 AM

hi guys, thanks for the reply. i have downloaded the zip several times but each time i do it only displays one file.... install.img

apparently there is a bmp file aswell but doesnt show
post #472 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 AM

finally managed to get both the files... put them on an empty usb stick then transferred to ultio..
then went to system/system update.
got the screen which showed that it was loading.

when completed i tried the movie again and voila!!! froze at 14:18 again??

any suggestions?
post #473 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:

finally managed to get both the files... put them on an empty usb stick then transferred to ultio..

any suggestions?

Is this multiple movies from multiple sources doing this? Starting to need more info from you cuz its a weird one. Just to double check, you're not using some 1-click dvd ripping software that is a trial version?

Is this over the network, off an External HD, or the internal HD?
post #474 of 1256 Old 09-26-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

any suggestions?

Have you tried unplugging the Ultio from the power supply for about 15 minutes? I know it sounds a little simple but sometimes it solves problems. It's worth a try.
post #475 of 1256 Old 09-27-2009, 03:35 AM

hi burnerbum, yeah had it unplugged for about 3 hours yesterday. just using it for movies at the moment so have been transporting it around with me so if i go to a mates i can demonstrate my fantastic new media hard drive

once its working i look forward to connecting it to the net as i havent explored this yet.

i contacted customer support and so far they have said to upgrade firmware, still no response as what to do next as this didnt work
post #476 of 1256 Old 09-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Well, does it crap out at 14:18 on every video of every file type?
How many have you tried?
Is it exactly the same frame on a video that it stops at, or does it vary slightly?
How are you playing the videos - local, network, or external?
Have videos ever worked?
How are you connected to the TV?
Can you telnet into the device when its hung up?
Does it just crap out on the video with a message in the corner (ie buffering) then return to the guide, or does it completely freeze and require reboot (I think you answered already, but not sure)

Could be a dud unit, but we need more to narrow it down now
post #477 of 1256 Old 09-27-2009, 03:01 PM

If you play True-HD. It's will not have audio out just video. Its will show Audio Format error, hopefully the next firmware will fix the lossles audio like True-HD, DTS HD-MA , True-HD Plus.
post #478 of 1256 Old 09-27-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucetheater View Post

hopefully the next firmware will fix the lossles audio like True-HD, DTS HD-MA , True-HD Plus.

Don't count on it.
post #479 of 1256 Old 09-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Would it be much to ask for an audio synchronizer for the Ultio in a future firmware, where we can specify whether the audio is slightly ahead or behind the picture, and slight adjustments can be made so that certain files that were encoded off sync can be played back correctly?
post #480 of 1256 Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 PM

Its amazing how so many of these features can be found in open-source implementations.

Seriously, it takes a copy/paste and a //-Written/Inspired by the team at whatever group

This is all so frustrating. Its a weekend, so I didnt think I'd get a hold of anyone.
Monday Ill be trying to find someone at Mvix or RealTek. See why we can't get at least all of the GPL aspects of the DVDPlayer library to run, or some SDK so we can port something.

I noticed there was absolutely ZERO interest in a wikia page on this. http://rtd1073.wikia.com I won't bother adding anything to it if nobody wants it up. Just thought I'd try.

Anyone have more suggestions? Even Theories to try?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page