Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179 - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 1256 Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The more I look around lately, the more it seems like a lost cause trying to better the "Open Source" aspect of this.

What exactly is even open source?

Anyways, what would we need in order to get another Mips platform onto a Media player like this? I was just looking into Android. One it its biggest setbacks is that to do a new codec, they would all have to be brought into the java layer and essentially re-written.

Are codecs directly on teh chipset. I.e. instead, a call to the java layer to use the onboard codec is all thats needed to use any of the plethora of Android apps out there? Am I right out to lunch, or does android look somewhat promising? Doesn't look like its ever been released onto a media center before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1256 Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

Would it be much to ask for an audio synchronizer for the Ultio in a future firmware, where we can specify whether the audio is slightly ahead or behind the picture, and slight adjustments can be made so that certain files that were encoded off sync can be played back correctly?

It seems to me that this is asking too much. The Ultio and most of these multi-codec players are not that flexible. If you really want that sort of thing you are better off with XBMC on a computer ( Mac Mini, ATV, Ion based PC, etc...). For $160 you can't expect the sky. The margins are low and these are basically throw away boxes. They do what they do and apart from a bit of tweaking they either satisfy your needs or not. The metadata scraping in XBMC is supported by an army of developers. The reason the Apple TV is so flexible is that OSX is well known by many and is open source under the hood. The same goes for a PC media centre based on Linux.

The players that seem to have the most tweaks are similar to the Popcorn Hour players, but we are talking higher prices and the new player is more expensive than building your own better xbmc media box. $300 is the absolute limit for these devices (and even that is high).

The Ultio for me has been a really nice experience. It far exceeded my expectations. The only thing I'd like is ftp but if that never comes then no big deal. To expect that it will handle every video file encoded by who knows who is asking too much. I'm just amazed at how well it handles sub-titles. That only has made the purchase worth it.

pmcd
post #483 of 1256 Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 AM

thanks for your help and i will try and answer your questions..

i have tried 6 different movie files that it does this with..

it is exactly at 14:18 - same frame

playing videos on internal hard drive

connected via hdmi and digital audio

telnet?? not connected to anything just using it as a media hard drive at the mo.

it just freezes... i can then forward X4,X8 etc and it continues to skip and preview the movie but at any point if i press play it just reverts back to the beginning.

is it worth taking all the movies off and reformatting and trying again??

thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallybigabe View Post

Well, does it crap out at 14:18 on every video of every file type?
How many have you tried?
Is it exactly the same frame on a video that it stops at, or does it vary slightly?
How are you playing the videos - local, network, or external?
Have videos ever worked?
How are you connected to the TV?
Can you telnet into the device when its hung up?
Does it just crap out on the video with a message in the corner (ie buffering) then return to the guide, or does it completely freeze and require reboot (I think you answered already, but not sure)

Could be a dud unit, but we need more to narrow it down now

post #484 of 1256 Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM

I would say to try the reformat.
Make sure you do it via the menu on the screen, and not in Windows (I'm assuming you're on Windows)

My guess at crapping out at 14:18 but still able to FF and RW sounds like an index issue in the video format (i.e. corrupted). Who knows how or why. Now, this could be corrupted due to many reasons, not necessarily the video itself. HD format issue, Chipset itself is fragged, FW issue, not sure at all.

Yeah, let us know how the format goes, then transfer back over. Again, don't use any wizards or 3rd party software, just straight file copy. Its a crappy answer, but without a 'why' there is hardly a 'how.
post #485 of 1256 Old 09-28-2009, 04:14 PM

I need better translation than an auto-translator. Some dodgy dude on a chinese education forum claims to have the RTD1073 source:

你好,
请问怎么联系你,急需RTD1073 SDK请尽快与我联系!我的电话是13811684307
至此

祝商祺!
post #486 of 1256 Old 09-28-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:

The more I look around lately, the more it seems like a lost cause trying to better the "Open Source" aspect of this.

What exactly is even open source?

Anyways, what would we need in order to get another Mips platform onto a Media player like this? I was just looking into Android. One it its biggest setbacks is that to do a new codec, they would all have to be brought into the java layer and essentially re-written.

Are codecs directly on teh chipset. I.e. instead, a call to the java layer to use the onboard codec is all thats needed to use any of the plethora of Android apps out there? Am I right out to lunch, or does android look somewhat promising? Doesn't look like its ever been released onto a media center before.

Well, I did look at the Wiki.. Does that count? LOL. Ok, I'll have to admit I've lost considerable interest in the Ultio when I found out what Mivix's claim of "open source" consisted of. It simply means that all the GPL (GNU General Public License) Linux portions are open source. Unfortunately, that leaves little wiggle room to do much other than provide a few Linux based utilities like FTP and the like.

Since no one has actually seen any documentation on the RealTek innards, I can only assume from what I have gleaned that yes, the majority if not all the codecs have been implemented in hardware.

Don't know anything about Android so I can't comment other than to say it would probably be worthless on the Ultio unless someone knows how to communicate and utilize the features of the RealTek SOC. If you have no hardware to interface to, it's just a bunch of code that would do nothing, even if you could port it.

Not to dampen your initial enthusiasm, but I don't see this being a worthwhile endeavor unless RealTek is willing to cooperate. I'm not sure how many forums/wiki's etc. that I've found for RealTek based boxes which initially started out with high hopes and eventually died out when faced with the reality that RealTek has no interest in the public dissemination of details on their hardware/software. RealTek is in the business of selling their chips to system integrators. Can't really blame them for their business model. It would be sort of like being pissed at Microsoft for not making Windows7 open source. It serves no purpose and it's unlikely to change

After owning the Ultio for a few months, I can't say it's a bad product. It certainly does what I wanted it to do - play videos. I think it does a pretty good job of it. Sure it could use a lot of cleaning up on the interface end, some added functionality, etc. but possibly that will come as the product matures. If I would have paid $500 for it, I'd have a lot of regret. But I didn't. For the $167 I shelled out, it was a decent value. Luckily, I haven't had any hardware problems which seem to have plagued more than few users.

Maybe the best approach is to relay deficiencies and requests for enhancements to Mvix and hope that they listen and can coerce their supplier to fix things. Lets hope they have something better than a babel fish translator. Too bad Mvix doesn't really seem to have a good channel open for such activity.

-rozz
post #487 of 1256 Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:

I need better translation than an auto-translator. Some dodgy dude on a chinese education forum claims to have the RTD1073 source:

你好,
至此

祝商祺!

ROFL !! Ok, I work with some Chinese engineers. I'll see what they can make of it when I get to work tomorrow. I tried the bablefish translation and it looked like he was asking you for the SDK...
post #488 of 1256 Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 PM

Ok, so I was a little bored with the 'ol Mvix Ultio. Since I've built an HTPC for my viewing pleasure, the Ultio has been a bit starved for attention. Up until this point, I've been extremely careful when attempting any software modifications because I really didn't want to risk bricking the unit. Tonight was different. . I decided to test the failed software update procedure and see if the Ultilo had a resilient bootloader.

I kept the following instructions handy:

1. Remove power cable
2. Plug in USB drive (containing firmware only)
3. Press and hold the power button
4. Plug in the power cable
5. Hold power button until the Ultio starts booting,and then release power button

I then downloaded 2 firmware updates for similar units. I checked and the update procedures are identical to the Ultio firmware update procedures.

First was the Asus O!Play. Stuck the image on my USB flash drive and did a firmware update. Update proceeded without issue. When it was finished and the Ultio rebooted itself, I was greeted with a blank screen (I was only connected to the HDMI output). I then took a look at the composite output. Sure enough, I saw the O!Play startup screen, which quickly switched to a setup menu while I was watching. It then rebooted. Kept doing the reboot, showing the setup screen, and rebooting again. Guess that wasn't going to work.

I then tested the failed software update procedure using the 1.3 rev firmware for the Ultio, which I had on another USB flash drive. Worked fine and my Ultio was back to its normal self. Guess the bootloader is pretty tough.

Next was the Mediagate M2TV. Install went without issue. This time I was greeted with a nice stable Mediagate menu screen when the Ultio rebooted. Looked very promising except that it wasn't responding to the remote control or any of the buttons on the box itself, except for the power button. Oh well.. Close but no cigar.

Reinitiated the failed software update procedure and the Ultio was back to its normal self as best as I can tell.

It was an interesting though unproductive test. I wouldn't recommend that anyone try it unless they are willing to risk their Ultio like I was.

In any case, it was nice to know that the recovery procedure worked and the Ultio was a bit tougher than I might have expected.

There's probably a few other images out there for similar devices that I may or may not try. Not that I would expect any better result. But you never know.

-rozz
post #489 of 1256 Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:

你好,
至此

祝商祺!

According to my Chinese engineer friend, he was just asking for information on the SDK. I also had my friend follow a bunch of similar threads and links, all in Chinese. Didn't find anything worthwhile.
post #490 of 1256 Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Hi
I am looking a NMT actual work all the latest Audio sounds like Dolby True-HD, DTS HD-MA, DTS HD-HR, Dolby Digital Plus. I purchased a Mvix Ultio MX-800HD, but not pass through all the sounds as above, A.C.Ryan Playon HD same as Mvix Ultio. If any one out there know any NMT actual working pass through all the latest sounds. Please let me know.

Thanks
Bruce
post #491 of 1256 Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Rozz... out of pure morbid curiosity, what about the Xtreamer? I dont remember if its a sigma chip or not.
post #492 of 1256 Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM

I mean for trying the firmware.
post #493 of 1256 Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 AM

Hello,
I just made ssh working like described in derek's site (thanks, derek!).
Only thing to change in derek's description is this line in inetd.conf:

Instead of:

ssh stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/dropbear dropbear -i -E

must be (on one line):

ssh stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/dropbear dropbear -i -E 2>/dev/null

Only problem here is when I reboot device all changes in root filesystem are lost!
Do you know how to fix this?
post #494 of 1256 Old 09-30-2009, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucetheater View Post

If any one out there know any NMT actual working pass through all the latest sounds. Please let me know.

The PCH C-200 is the only streamer that will do this.
post #495 of 1256 Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstefanov View Post

ssh stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/dropbear dropbear -i -E 2>/dev/null

Only problem here is when I reboot device all changes in root filesystem are lost!
Do you know how to fix this?

Have you possibly installed the Mvix 1.1 Samba modifications? If so that would explain it. It copies over the inetd.conf file every time Samba starts up with its own copy of inetd.conf which is located at /tmp/hdd/root/samba/inetd.conf . If you wish to keep the Mvix 1.1 samba mods, simply add your changes to the /tmp/hdd/root/samba/inetd.conf.

If that's not the case, please elaborate on "all changes in the root filesystem are lost".

-rozz
post #496 of 1256 Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Rozz... out of pure morbid curiosity, what about the Xtreamer? I dont remember if its a sigma chip or not.

Haven't tried that one - yet.. According to the comparison grid at the top of this forum section, the Xtreamer uses a RTD1283 chip. Similar to the RTD1073 but with recording capability. I sort of stuck with known 1073 versions for my first attempts at bricking my Ultio

Here's an interesting link for chipsets and manufacturers: iboum

I did try a few more morbid reflashings:

IcyBox -- Updated but went into a reboot loop.
Mede8er -- Wouldn't update. Actually came up with a message saying something about the software not being compatible with the hardware.

Still haven't bricked it

-rozz
post #497 of 1256 Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Yes, rozz. I'm with 1.1 samba.
I saw that you are right.
I'll change the script and try again.

Thanks a lot for help!
post #498 of 1256 Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucetheater View Post

If you play True-HD. It's will not have audio out just video. Its will show Audio Format error, hopefully the next firmware will fix the lossles audio like True-HD, DTS HD-MA , True-HD Plus.

i already posted in this forum that the unit doesnt decode those audio new HD audio formats. just demux and convert the audio to 640 ac3 with ac3to and remux if you cant wait. it will play fine then
post #499 of 1256 Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 AM

Everything with ssh is fine now!

I fixed 2 things:

1. samba script (/tmp/hdd/root/script/samba) copy every time on reboot new inetd.conf from here:
/tmp/hdd/root/samba/inetd.conf
So you must edit this file. It's on HDD, even don't need to remount root r/w.

2. In this file added line must be:
ssh stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/dropbear dropbear -i 2>/dev/null

It was my mistake with -E as parameter in my previous post. With it there was bad length error when I try to login.
post #500 of 1256 Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcalibur View Post

i already posted in this forum that the unit doesnt decode those audio new HD audio formats. just demux and convert the audio to 640 ac3 with ac3to and remux if you cant wait. it will play fine then

Can this be fixed in a future firmware update, or is the Ultio's processor simply not strong enough to decode true HD audio?
post #501 of 1256 Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 PM

In my quest to reflash the Ultio with totally alien software, here's where I stand.

Tried the Xtreamer but was unable to flash the image. Looks like versions based on the RTD1200 series won't work.

Next I tried the Emtec N200 EmtecInfo

Flashed fine, booted up to the menu screen, and with some experimenting I was able to try a few things. Only problem was the remote control. Only a few random keys worked so I really wasn't able to navigate. Did manage to play a video and a few MP3's fine, and this version of software had an "internet radio" feature which also worked. Actually, the menu system looked a bit more cheesy than the Ultio. There might have been more features to explore, had I been able to navigate better. I was able to telnet in and log in as root. Looked basically the same as the Ultio - no surprise.

So, looks like I have a total of 3 flash images from other manufacturers that will run on the Ultio, but only with the Emtec was I able to partially navigate the menu system.

It was an interesting exercise but not very worthwhile.

-rozz
post #502 of 1256 Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 AM

anyone have issues like this??? i have a sata drive installed in the unit and io also use an external drive attached via usb. 8 outta 10 times the installed HD isnt recognized. even after 10 minutes of ideling its still not recognized. this sucks
post #503 of 1256 Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 AM

great question...too bad the ultio firmware site sucks. its doesnt even tell you whats being updated inthe firmwares. i hope it gets resolved since almost EVERY bluray disc has some sort of "newer" HD audio streams. i would have had that issue fixed in the first firmware release.
post #504 of 1256 Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM

When I have plugged in USB disk sometimes (may be 1 of 10) on reboot this USB disk is recognized as C: and local hard disk is D:
This stops work of all samba and btpd modules.

I already posted ticket in their system.
post #505 of 1256 Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

Can this be fixed in a future firmware update, or is the Ultio's processor simply not strong enough to decode true HD audio?

While I don't profess to be an audio aficionado, my understanding is that the newer DTS-HD formats require a licensed decoder built into the hardware. A.K.A. - not upgradeable by firmware alone.

I saw a thread relating to this on the mediagate forum which uses a similar Realtek chipset.

I usually handle my blu-ray content by remuxing and downconverting the DTS-HD audio to regular DTS. It's no big deal to me as I'm already remuxing the .m2ts file to get rid of all then unnecessary streams anyway.

Don't know if I remember correctly, but I thought I read somewhere that the 1.3 firmware may correct the internal HD not being recognized issue. Worth a try. The Mvix site describes the update as "This latest firmware fixes multiple issues, including DVD Menu problems". You want more detail than that? LOL

-rozz
post #506 of 1256 Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post

While I don't profess to be an audio aficionado, my understanding is that the newer DTS-HD formats require a licensed decoder built into the hardware. A.K.A. - not upgradeable by firmware alone.

I saw a thread relating to this on the mediagate forum which uses a similar Realtek chipset.

I usually handle my blu-ray content by remuxing and downconverting the DTS-HD audio to regular DTS. It's no big deal to me as I'm already remuxing the .m2ts file to get rid of all then unnecessary streams anyway.

Don't know if I remember correctly, but I thought I read somewhere that the 1.3 firmware may correct the internal HD not being recognized issue. Worth a try. The Mvix site describes the update as "This latest firmware fixes multiple issues, including DVD Menu problems". You want more detail than that? LOL

-rozz

cool, i'll try the firmware update. i havent updated to 1.3 yet since people said they have had issues with it.
i also convert dolby digital plus audio streams to regular 640 ac3 streams since the unit doesnt support it.
post #507 of 1256 Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:

cool, i'll try the firmware update. i haven't updated to 1.3 yet since people said they have had issues with it.
i also convert dolby digital plus audio streams to regular 640 ac3 streams since the unit doesnt support it.

If it doesn't work, I'd be curious as to what type of internal hard drive you might have and if that might be afactor. I have a 1 TB Hitachi and have never seen the problem you mentioned, no matter which version of the firmware I was using.
post #508 of 1256 Old 10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

anyone have issues like this???

Has your unit ever "lost" the drive after bootup? I had a problem where playback would stop in the middle of a video, and when I went back to the main menu, the internal hard drive had vanished. rebooting the unit would usually remedy the situation, but after a while, the drive would intermittently not be found at startup either. I had to return my Ultio for a replacement to remedy the situation.
post #509 of 1256 Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 AM

the last thing i want to do is send it back for repairs LOL. i upgraded the firmware to 1.2 and then 1.3, then i booted up , the HD installed WAS recognized. i didnt have my external plugged in so thats the next step. i use a WD 500gb , sata, 7200rpm drive. i justed didnt have time to keep turning it off/on to check the drive necognition. i will tonight. thanks for the help. also firmware 1.2 says it helps with the HD audio issue??? i wonder what that means since it still doesnt play MKV's with dolby digital plus audio
post #510 of 1256 Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM

I have numerous Divx files in which the video plays perfectly in sync with audio on my computer, however when I play it on my Ultio, the audio is about 1/2 a second ahead of the video. They are from a PAL source, and I am playing it on an NTSC TV, however, most of my other similar files play correctly. Since it plays fine on the computer, I am assuming it is correctly encoded. Does anyone know whether this issue can be corrected through a future firmware upgrade, and whether Mvix is aware of this flaw?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page