Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1256 Old 10-18-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

WARNING: Mvix Ultio is for external use only. Mvix Ultio is not a floor wax or a desert topping. Do not hold in hand. Light fuse and get away.

Heh...well I managed to get 1.3 back and it's running fine except that I seem to have lost access to my 2 usb ports and so I can't install samba or telnet to the Ultio. Any ideas? I am a bit leary of rolling back to 1.1 as I am not sure I can again force it to boot from a USB stick. Something a bit strange is happening. Wish I could bypass usb and just update the install via Linux.

philip

Edit: Well mvix support suggested a solution and it worked! Everything is working great now ( that is, I have the USB ports back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1256 Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

warning: Mvix ultio is for external use only. Mvix ultio is not a floor wax or a desert topping. Do not hold in hand. Light fuse and get away.

rofl!
post #543 of 1256 Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

What FW are you running now? Did you ever get it to go back to a previous one?

Have you checked your connections on the hard drive and MB. Sounds simple but just trying to make some suggestions.

I don't know how the Ultio actually partitions the hard drive, I did connect it to my pc once to check it out but can't remember. You could try taking it out and connecting it to your pc and running check disk. Not sure if that would help or cause file loss. I haven't tried it. If you don't have too many files on the drive and don't have files you can't replace on it, it might be worth a try to see if it's the drive.

i actually took all the movies off the HD and had the ultio reformat the drive. i dumped everything back to the unit, ultio found the drive....................for one day LOL. time to send this piece of sh*t back for a new one. mvix claims its the power supply not sending enough current to power the drive..its even funnier that mvix admits they have replaced ALOT power supplies due to faulty manufacturing. even if this thing gets fixed i wouldnt recommend this unit to anyone and i wouldnt buy anything from them ever again. too much of a hassle to deal with.
post #544 of 1256 Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 AM

As I promised I unplugged the fan and 4 days I'm enjoying completely silent player!
No problems till now! (all is due to Green power disk, don't do this with usual HDD)
post #545 of 1256 Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:

What FW are you running now? Did you ever get it to go back to a previous one?

Have you checked your connections on the hard drive and MB. Sounds simple but just trying to make some suggestions.

I don't know how the Ultio actually partitions the hard drive, I did connect it to my pc once to check it out but can't remember.

I was having a big problem with the drive going missing, they send me a link to the new 2.1 firmware which has resolved it. I'm quite liking the ultio now. Still miss the sort capability. New firmware is here: http://www.mvixusa.com/dl/MvixUSA_Ul...ware_v2.10.zip
post #546 of 1256 Old 10-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcalibur View Post

i actually took all the movies off the HD and had the ultio reformat the drive. i dumped everything back to the unit, ultio found the drive....................for one day LOL. time to send this piece of sh*t back for a new one. mvix claims its the power supply not sending enough current to power the drive..its even funnier that mvix admits they have replaced ALOT power supplies due to faulty manufacturing. even if this thing gets fixed i wouldnt recommend this unit to anyone and i wouldnt buy anything from them ever again. too much of a hassle to deal with.

Sorry to hear your unit turned out so bad. Mine has been working flawlessly since I bought it 2 months ago. It plays every kind of file I've thrown at it, and have unplugged the power supply, and replugged it in at least 20 times, as I take the unit on the road and to my friends' homes. Not once has it failed me. I consider the Ultio to be the best purchase I've made in the last 3 years of my life.
post #547 of 1256 Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstefanov View Post

As I promised I unplugged the fan and 4 days I'm enjoying completely silent player!
No problems till now! (all is due to Green power disk, don't do this with usual HDD)

Great news. Did you use a 2.5" notebook drive? Those use almost no power.
The WD Green drives are also nice but I was a bit nervous about using them as they use 5 or 6 watts ( compared to 2.5 max for the notebook drives).

Silence is really nice. The fan is pretty well the only complaint I have had with the Ultio.

philip
post #548 of 1256 Old 10-20-2009, 12:26 AM

I use WD green. It works!

I'm planing to make some thermocontrolled fan speed regulation to provide start fan in hot situations.

I'll post schematics here when ready.
post #549 of 1256 Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJKaye View Post

I was having a big problem with the drive going missing, they send me a link to the new 2.1 firmware which has resolved it. I'm quite liking the ultio now. Still miss the sort capability. New firmware is here: http://www.mvixusa.com/dl/MvixUSA_Ul...ware_v2.10.zip

I wonder why they don't have that FW listed on their site for downloading. Did you see any changes other than it fixing hyour drive problem?
post #550 of 1256 Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I wonder why they don't have that FW listed on their site for downloading. Did you see any changes other than it fixing hyour drive problem?

I'm still wondering if they can add a SLEEP function to the Ultio through a firmware upgrade, or if it's not possible at all.
post #551 of 1256 Old 10-20-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

I'm still wondering if they can add a SLEEP function to the Ultio through a firmware upgrade, or if it's not possible at all.

I sure wish they could. I miss that very much. I'm mainly using my 780HD because it has the sleep function.
post #552 of 1256 Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:

I sure wish they could. I miss that very much. I'm mainly using my 780HD because it has the sleep function.

I still use my 760HD for the same reason, but I have alot of HD files and I have to use the Ultio to watch them...It really is frustrating, because outside of the lack of a SLEEP function, now that they fixed the formerly missing MENU button, I don't think the Ultio needs anything else...at least not in my book!
post #553 of 1256 Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:

They sent me a link to it also, but I haven't tried it out yet. Yesterday every time I started any video, either on the internal HD or network, the Ultio would reboot. I successfully got it running again with the 1.3 firmware

I'm also curious (hopeful?) that they can refine the interface and add features. I'd love to have a 30 or 60 second skip on the remote. The multistep FF & RW are a PITA, especially when trying to skip commercials on my recorded TV content.
post #554 of 1256 Old 10-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:

sounds good. i just got off the phone with them and they gave me the link as well. i'll try tonight or tomorrow. that dam dissappearing drive sucks. how often did your HD dissapear?? mine works like 1 outta 10 times.
post #555 of 1256 Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJKaye View Post

the latest firmware is still in testing, thats why it doesnt show up on the website yet. its suppose to fix the followingtech support told me this)
1. dissapearing HD issues
2. MKV playback - specifically audio issues,(i assume compatiblity issues)
3. Playon (netflix streamer) - misc. issues, playon is 3rd party software you can add to the unit
post #556 of 1256 Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

that dam dissappearing drive sucks. how often did your HD dissapear?? mine works like 1 outta 10 times.

Mine started doing that every once in a while, but it got more and more frequent. The drive would "disappear" after playing video for about 30 min. and only a hard reboot would get it back.

Eventually it got worse and I had to send it in for replacement.
post #557 of 1256 Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM

well im gonna try the new firmware to see if it actually does fix the dissapearing drive..too bad 1.2 was suppose to fix it. if it doesnt im gonna RMA this POS LOL.
its just sad that it seems they rushed the unit out with crappy firmware and it seems they didnt work all the bugs out first. same goes for the "nubin" that they claimed worked with the ultio, which is doesnt and its not even compatible with the ultio (as the tech guy says)
post #558 of 1256 Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:

well im gonna try the new firmware to see if it actually does fix the dissapearing drive..too bad 1.2 was suppose to fix it. if it doesnt im gonna RMA this POS LOL.
its just sad that it seems they rushed the unit out with crappy firmware and it seems they didnt work all the bugs out first. same goes for the "nubin" that they claimed worked with the ultio, which is doesnt and its not even compatible with the ultio (as the tech guy says)

I think everyone who's experiencing the disappearing drive phenomena should post the brand and model number of their drive. That way we'll know which drives to avoid with the Ultio.
post #559 of 1256 Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:

I think everyone who's experiencing the disappearing drive phenomena should post the brand and model number of their drive. That way we'll know which drives to avoid with the Ultio.

its not the drives that should be avoided. its got nothing to do with the hard drives. Mvix had issues with the drive controllers. firmware 2.10 is "suppose" to fix the drive controller issue. 4 firmware up dates in 3 months since the first release of the ultio???? thats NOT a good sign of things to come.
post #560 of 1256 Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:

its not the drives that should be avoided. its got nothing to do with the hard drives. Mvix had issues with the drive controllers. firmware 2.10 is "suppose" to fix the drive controller issue. 4 firmware up dates in 3 months since the first release of the ultio???? thats NOT a good sign of things to come.

Thanks for clearing that up xxcalibur. As for the firmware updates, I was under the impression when I bought my Ultio that these firmwares could be updated by the Ultio community (amateur programmers), not having to rely only on Mvix to do so. Am I wrong? If so, what was the purpose of the "Ultio Challenge"?
post #561 of 1256 Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up xxcalibur. As for the firmware updates, I was under the impression when I bought my Ultio that these firmwares could be updated by the Ultio community (amateur programmers), not having to rely only on Mvix to do so. Am I wrong? If so, what was the purpose of the "Ultio Challenge"?

sounds like a dumb marketing ploy i think. 4 firmware updates in 3 months is not a good sign as i stated before. i doubt you'll see any good firmware come out of that challenge. they need to worry more about putting out a decent product instead of worrying about some stupid firmware challenge. maybe it proved that the peole at mvix CANT make a decent piece of firmware LOL
post #562 of 1256 Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:

sounds like a dumb marketing ploy i think. 4 firmware updates in 3 months is not a good sign as i stated before. i doubt you'll see any good firmware come out of that challenge. they need to worry more about putting out a decent product instead of worrying about some stupid firmware challenge. maybe it proved that the peole at mvix CANT make a decent piece of firmware LOL

My guess is that they have no programmers there and rely on Realtek for any changes. The thing is just a Linux applaince with BusyBox doing most of the OS related tasks. Their software (interface, menu's, streaming from PlayOn, etc) that needs to be changed to better support media playback is an application called DVDPLAYER that is launched at boot. If anyone out there can make modifications to that using their source code, I have a few suggestions for additions that would make it more fun to use.
post #563 of 1256 Old 10-24-2009, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it's not as though the other media player companies are releasing firmware every week.

At this point, the only issues I have with the Ultio are that loud fan which I disabled and the remote. Those of us who bought the Ultio earlier on have to deal with the buttons not corresponding to the labels (because of updates). Both of these are minor points though.

The price of all of these Realtek devices is dropping fast. I assume the Ultio will have to have a price adjustment. Of course this means that the margins leave little room for much development.

Patriot has a new media player which is almost identical to the Ultio but uses a 2.5" drive. Unfortunately they chose to put in a fan...

For what it's worth the Ultio plays stuff as well as any of the other players out there. The lack of XBMC type functions seems to be universal. None of the players seem to come close to it...

I hope the new firmware solves your issues. Otherwise you'll be on the media player merry go round looking for one that just works.

philip
post #564 of 1256 Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcurrie View Post

My guess is that they have no programmers there and rely on Realtek for any changes. The thing is just a Linux applaince with BusyBox doing most of the OS related tasks. Their software (interface, menu's, streaming from PlayOn, etc) that needs to be changed to better support media playback is an application called DVDPLAYER that is launched at boot. If anyone out there can make modifications to that using their source code, I have a few suggestions for additions that would make it more fun to use.

DvdPlayer is the heart of the system for all RealTek based devices. There is no distribution of the source code for any part that is proprietary, which, unfortunately, includes DvdPlayer. Development is therefore limited to small changes in the OS. Many people have tried to change RealTek's stance on this and all have failed. All changes affecting video playback, interface, and end-user visible features can only be accomplished by the supplier - in the case of the Ultio, the systems integrator that supplies the hardware/software to Mvix and has the relationship with RealTek. Just the way it is.

-rozz
post #565 of 1256 Old 10-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Hi

can you tell me where i found package:

toolchain_mipsel-6.03-6.i586.rpm

thanks
nico
post #566 of 1256 Old 10-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snico View Post

Hi

can you tell me where i found package:

toolchain_mipsel-6.03-6.i586.rpm

thanks
nico

Try the following link: UltioSourceLink
post #567 of 1256 Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I have an MVIX Ultio (one week now), a new Mac Mini and an Apple TV hooked up to an HDTV. Obviously they won't all stay on that TV. I mainly stream stuff. I can say that I really like the Ultio. It does everything I wanted it for The only small quibble I have is that the fan is a bit loud (I am a bit of a noise fiend) so I just didn't put a hard drive in and disabled the fan. I hooked up a fanless USB hard drive to it, but streaming 720p stuff works great so I mainly do that from a d-link nas. I really don't understand the negative comments here. I've tried a lot of these media players and am basically an Apple type but the Ultio is really very good for the price. The firmware upgrade was easy, the remote works well, subtitle support is excellent (my main concern). I don't see anything out there that does what it does for the price.

It would be nice to have gigabit ethernet but it's no big deal at this point. I would like ftp access though.

philip

Try playing a movie across your lan that is high than 90 and then post your comments. This device doesn't play anything around there across a network. You are forced to use an USB or copy it top internal drive. The processor is too slow and the Ethernet is only 100mbit.
post #568 of 1256 Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Small ssd sounds good. Would i have to reconnect that fan? The ssd would have to be put on some kind of 2.5" to 3.5" drive bracket adapter to get the screws to fit (the two).

This would be great if I could get it to work. I don't know much about ssd's. Would they fit the sata data and power connecters? Are they all the same?

pmcd

Ditch the SSD route. You'll pay three times the amount of what the Ultio cost for a decent size SSD. At least that's what prices were last time I looked.
post #569 of 1256 Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallybigabe View Post

You're making serious progress on this beast.
I'd love to help with anything. Not too good at a lot. Social engineering I can do I remember you were trying to find software from Realtek on a post somewhere. Was it the SDK for this chipset? I've seen conflicts on which chip it actually is, but if you let me know, I'll try to get everything I can (My job lets me ask for stuff and often get it)

I just want to help get my ultio to be a lot less buggy, and the GUI to be slick.

Here's my idea - and I'd post this on mvixcommunity if I ever got a verification email. Let's start compiling 'most requested' features somewhere, and I'm going to try to get some semblance of a projected development org out of mvixusa. If we could put some of our open source minds' ideas together with their projections and get some actual consumer and usability information flow between developers and end-users I think we could start getting a seriously cool product on the move.

Here's what I get out of this. I do project management (Mostly infrastructure wiring) and I'm army by trade.
A: I want to get some sort of software development degree - and I wouldn't mind the experience to figure out where I want to go with it
B: Project management is what I love to do, and the principles are the same with its comms closets, software design, or organizing a selective halfway house/brothel for vegans, the criminally insane and people who like ska.

I'm stoked. Love my Ultio. Want to help, haven't been involved in anything since the original XBMC (when it was XMP!)

Where can we set up a forum thats a little more centric to our purpose? I don't own any domains any more, but I suppose I could host one if theres interest.

This will likely end up turning into a Mips-Linux Media Center development from what I can see... OR it just means prettying up the basics of what these guys have put together. Who knows, thats the fun in organic development right? Serendipity.

Wow, that sounded nerdy.

I'm still reading this huge thread, but if you wanted a specific Ultio board you can use ultio800.diggsnet.com if you want. I had a few domains and wanted to try phpbb. It's been up for a while and I'm going to keep it up for just the heck of it. If you want a certain index, let me know.
post #570 of 1256 Old 10-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have also been experiencing the "disappearing hard drive" issue after only a month of owning my Ultio. For now, the only way I get around it is to make sure you don't immediately click on HDD, when the Ultio boots up. Wait a couple of minutes (probably because the Ultio boots up before the HDD gets a chance to be found on the system). If you boot up your Ultio, but can't see the HDD when you click on HDD, simply turn off the Ultio, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on and wait about 1 minute before clicking on HDD again. That's working for me. I wonder if that too can be added to the list of things a future firmware needs to address.

When you first power on the device it takes about 45 seconds for full network connectivity and for the HDD to show up. I think it's doing some kind of load because since I've went to firmware 1.2 I have always been able to access my internal drive each and every time. I have a Western Digital 1tb BLACK series drive. I have tested it and booted up and went directly to the HDD and it is not there. After waiting just for that initial time it will show...and then always be available. At least in my experience. I use my device a lot.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page