Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody tried a SATA to USB docking station with an Ultio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

Do you mean your Ultio shows the entire 2TB capacity of your drive? If so, it leaves me to wonder whether this issue was addressed and corrected with version 1.2 of the firmware. It also gives me hope that any new (bigger capacity) hard drives to come along in the future may work to full capacity in the Ultio, thanks to future firmware upgrades! Can you please tell us which brand and model number the 2TB drive in your Ultio is? Thanks!

Ultio repots this from Fdisk, so it can see the full disk...

/ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 2 243141 1953022050 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 243142 243161 160650 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda3 243162 243181 160650 83 Linux

This is the drive I bought:

Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Desktops
Model: ST320005N4A Best Buy online shows 199.00 today

This is the report from a df of the size/used/free :
/ # df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 84096 68292 15804 81% /
/dev/mtdblock/2 16384 1360 15024 8% /usr/local/etc
/dev/rd/0 40 40 0 100% /mnt/rd
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 1953022048 1629895588 323126460 83% /tmp/usbmounts/sda1
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 155555 39693 107830 27% /tmp/hdd/root

So, the 2TB drive formats to 1.95TB, which is normal, and the drive shows 1.62TB used. Luckily, I was able to copy a Blu-Ray rip to put me over the 1.5TB "limit", to test this. The file played after copy. So I can say with this drive, and the 1.3 firmware, the full 2TB is seen, formats to 1.95TB, and the files up to at least 1.62TB at least, are all usable..... on my machine
post #633 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogman View Post

I installed a 2TB internal in mine the day I got it with the 1.2 Firmware. I have upgraded to 1.3 and plan to do 2.1 this weekend. No issues with either the drive or the Ultio thus far.

Firmware 1.3 is much more stable than 2.1. Ever since I flashed to 2.1, I've had to power cycle the unit about 10 times in three days. Firmware 2.1 has a great mod to the subtitle area, which is something I will miss if I go back to 1.3. I doubt Mvix even reads this, so back for another ticket. I think I've had over 12 tickets already. None of them really resolved except for "tricks" or "tips" that help. It plays all, yea it actually does but when you can't get it working what good is that.
post #634 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Of course, if that forum ever gets to the point where it contains nearly as much information as this one, it will be just as difficult to sort through. It's a catch-22.

Meanwhile, my Ultio is broken again. Two months after receiving a replacement unit, it will no longer recognize any internal SATA hard drives. It started crapping out a few days ago (would fix itself after a hard reset), and now the internal SATA connection refuses to function at all. The HDD tests fine on other machines.

Frankly, another $12 for shipping and another 6 weeks of waiting just doesn't seem worth it. The Ultio still recognizes external USB devices, so I bought a $10 3.5" USB enclosure and stuck the drive in that. It's not elegant, but it works. If the USB ports end up crapping out too, this thing is going in the garbage.

Totally off topic, the Beyond Micro 3.5" SATA to USB 2.0 / eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure has got to be the best value-for-money I've seen. It's (mostly) aluminum, has a tool-less design, has an on/off switch on the front, a fan that can be disabled by a switch on the back, and comes with a USB cable, an eSATA cable, and a SATA-to-eSATA PC slot bracket. If only the Ultio was as good a value as the $10 enclosure I had to purchase to fix it.

Could the particular hard drive not like the Ultio? Did you stick another hard drive in there and try it?

I really wish I saw that enclosure. I just bought 2 Rosewell's from Newegg for $21 each. All anyone needs is USB and eSATA these days. $9.99 is a GREAT steal. I may just buy a couple to have around.
post #635 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I didn't try another drive in the Ultio, but that same drive worked fine for several weeks in the Ultio, and it still works fine in the enclosure. It's not the drive.
post #636 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 07:32 PM

A few other tidbits to keep people from hunting the entire forum:

The btpd Module can be modified to move the port from the default port. The default is frequently blocked by Torrent sites, and frequently throttled by ISPs

The Samba module is easily modifed to change the hostname on the network, the workgroup the Ultio participates in, and to create automounts of your network shares (including login/passwords).

A combination of the /etc/fstab and /tmp/hdd/root/samba/mountdrives.sh can be used to mount your external USB drives so they appear as folders on the local hdd in the menu

All audio/video ports are active at the same time, contrary to what support says. In my setup, I have the livingroom showing Ultio via HDMI at 720p including audio, and the same box is showing the same program material via Component video out at 720p and stereo audio (no way to get any other cables there to do better) to the bedroom. I use the pyramid shaped X-10 iR repeater and Logitec Harmony remotes to control the unit from the other room. The x-10 unit is THE BOMB, tried 2 others that did not work.

The idiotic "Playlist" function Realtek built into the DVDPLAYER gui that you see will only make one playlist, but if you have a massive music library, you can use any program including Notepad to make a standard .m3u file for your music, and play the .m3u like any music file... it will play all the songs. While you have the playlist running, you can navigate to a directory full of pictures and start a slideshow that plays while the music is going. This does not suck.
post #637 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A few other tidbits to keep people from hunting the entire forum:

The btpd Module can be modified to move the port from the default port. The default is frequently blocked by Torrent sites, and frequently throttled by ISPs

The Samba module is easily modifed to change the hostname on the network, the workgroup the Ultio participates in, and to create automounts of your network shares (including login/passwords).

A combination of the /etc/fstab and /tmp/hdd/root/samba/mountdrives.sh can be used to mount your external USB drives so they appear as folders on the local hdd in the menu

All audio/video ports are active at the same time, contrary to what support says. In my setup, I have the livingroom showing Ultio via HDMI at 720p including audio, and the same box is showing the same program material via Component video out at 720p and stereo audio (no way to get any other cables there to do better) to the bedroom. I use the pyramid shaped X-10 iR repeater and Logitec Harmony remotes to control the unit from the other room. The x-10 unit is THE BOMB, tried 2 others that did not work.

The idiotic "Playlist" function Realtek built into the DVDPLAYER gui that you see will only make one playlist, but if you have a massive music library, you can use any program including Notepad to make a standard .m3u file for your music, and play the .m3u like any music file... it will play all the songs. While you have the playlist running, you can navigate to a directory full of pictures and start a slideshow that plays while the music is going. This does not suck.

Throw out how you made the changes. I've went into the system and also made some changes to samba to make it copy faster and also to trouble shoot why it constantly doesn't power off properly then the power needs to be cycled. Been happening a lot with firmware 2.1.
post #638 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Throw out how you made the changes. I've went into the system and also made some changes to samba to make it copy faster and also to trouble shoot why it constantly doesn't power off properly then the power needs to be cycled. Been happening a lot with firmware 2.1.

What did you change within Samba?
I'm also having the annoying power-off feature.

Starting to get very very tempting to pick up an Acer AspireRevo or Dell Zino HD and XBMC. All the features I want, with a more reliable unit.
Very tempting.
post #639 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Agreed, I think it would be a great idea to compile a "What Mvix Left Out Of The User Manual" reference for people buying these things. I will compile the tweaks I discovered and post them.... stay tuned.
post #640 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My Ultio has been streaming so well that I no longer bother with the "internal" drive (which is an e-sata drive). But too much clicking. Is there a way to edit some file and have the Ultio mount samba shares? The instructions given on mvixusa assume you are running the samba server, which seems odd. You should be able to edit something (on my O!Play I edit /usr/local/etc/dvdplayer/script/run_tail ). The mounts are created in /tmp/ramfs/volumes/ . There is no run_tail file on the Ultio that I can find, but there must be something similar. Any help would be appreciated.

philip
post #641 of 1256 Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallybigabe View Post

What did you change within Samba?
I'm also having the annoying power-off feature.

Starting to get very very tempting to pick up an Acer AspireRevo or Dell Zino HD and XBMC. All the features I want, with a more reliable unit.
Very tempting.

XBMC is very nice but there is something to be said for a dedicated media player. All you need is NAS and whatever you choose. Prices have really dropped on them. If you don't want internal hard drive storage the O!Play is very nice and pretty inexpensive. There's also the WDTV Live, but it is more expensive. Every since being swamped with these media players I've essentially stopped using my Mac Mini with XBMC/Plex, which if I have to be honest is the most reliable of them all, but it is a computer and feels like one. I just prefer the media players.

philip
post #642 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

My Ultio has been streaming so well that I no longer bother with the "internal" drive (which is an e-sata drive). But too much clicking. Is there a way to edit some file and have the Ultio mount samba shares? The instructions given on mvixusa assume you are running the samba server, which seems odd. You should be able to edit something (on my O!Play I edit /usr/local/etc/dvdplayer/script/run_tail ). The mounts are created in /tmp/ramfs/volumes/ . There is no run_tail file on the Ultio that I can find, but there must be something similar. Any help would be appreciated.

philip

edit the file /tmp/hdd/root/samba/mountdrives.sh here is the example given in the header of the file:
# use the following example to setup your samba shares. Remember to create the
# directory it should mount to first. /tmp/usbmounts/sda1 is going to be the
# the root of the internal drive
# Example:
# mount -t cifs -o username=guest //192.168.1.200/DVD1 /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Movies

/tmp/usbmounts/sda1 will always be your internal drive after boot, so this mount example will make the external samba share on the other computer appear in the Ultio menu on your Local drive in the directoy "Movies" when you are browsing around. This also works with USB connected drives. I have 3 usb drives connected to a hub in one of the Ultio USB ports, all 3 appear to be directories on the internal drive when I am browsing. Doing this is a bit more involved but the concept is the same, everything connected to your Ultio appears to be one local, internal drive when you are navigating with your remote control.

Also, if there is anything you want Ultio to do at boot, unmount/mount/start a program/etc, this is the last script it runs at boot, so it's a simple way to make things happen, just add your commands to the script.
post #643 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 03:36 PM

OK. For anyone that cares, I compiled all the tweaks I have done to my Ultio into this doc, do them on yours at your own risk. I will happily add any tweaks anyone else has made to this listing and republish if you want to send them to me.

I don't work for Mvix, so feel free to keep negative comments to yourself

Ultio Tweak Tutorial 11-13-09.pdf 291.583984375k . file
post #644 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:

OK. For anyone that cares, I compiled all the tweaks I have done to my Ultio into this doc, do them on yours at your own risk. I will happily add any tweaks anyone else has made to this listing and republish if you want to send them to me.

Excellent job, Trogman, thanks for your work and sharing the results with the rest of us!
post #645 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

Excellent job, Trogman, thanks for your work and sharing the results with the rest of us!

Happy to help. Since I appear to have had better luck with this device than many, I am a litle biased... but I think for a tweaker, nothing else out there purports to come close to what this box can do other than its twin, the Asus O!Play. I will probably be mucking more with it and posting the updates. If there is a fix for the 2.1 poweroff issue, someone send it to me and I will add that.
post #646 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

edit the file /tmp/hdd/root/samba/mountdrives.sh here is the example given in the header of the file:
# use the following example to setup your samba shares. Remember to create the
# directory it should mount to first. /tmp/usbmounts/sda1 is going to be the
# the root of the internal drive
# Example:
# mount -t cifs -o username=guest //192.168.1.200/DVD1 /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Movies

/tmp/usbmounts/sda1 will always be your internal drive after boot, so this mount example will make the external samba share on the other computer appear in the Ultio menu on your Local drive in the directoy "Movies" when you are browsing around. This also works with USB connected drives. I have 3 usb drives connected to a hub in one of the Ultio USB ports, all 3 appear to be directories on the internal drive when I am browsing. Doing this is a bit more involved but the concept is the same, everything connected to your Ultio appears to be one local, internal drive when you are navigating with your remote control.

Also, if there is anything you want Ultio to do at boot, unmount/mount/start a program/etc, this is the last script it runs at boot, so it's a simple way to make things happen, just add your commands to the script.

None of this works if you don't have an internal drive as the mountdrive.sh file doesn't exist, since the samba directory isn't there. Is there a way around that? Basically I don't want to have an internal drive and that is where that samba stuff is (on the O!Play it is in the rom, but is writable in the 1.11 firmware).

philip
post #647 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

philip

I have been streaming fairly well also. I always have disappearing network workgroup and even the hard drive disappears, and I have to power cycle all the time. If Mvix would concentrate on fixing these basic bugs this unit could outshine them all in this class with no problem. You want to mount your eSATA which is already mounted when it boots, right?
post #648 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Trogman, very nice. Thanks for the awesome time you put in to that. I'm gonna read up and "mess" around myself.
post #649 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been streaming fairly well also. I always have disappearing network workgroup and even the hard drive disappears, and I have to power cycle all the time. If Mvix would concentrate on fixing these basic bugs this unit could outshine them all in this class with no problem. You want to mount your eSATA which is already mounted when it boots, right?

My eSATA drive works perfectly as an internal drive. It has never failed to mount. The eSATA drive is connected directly to the internal sata port so the Ultio thinks it is the internal drive. When the eSATA drive is on then the samba server stuff is there and of course I can mount network drives automatically. But I have found that I would rather not have the eSATA drive on since playing stuff off the network is just as good (except for fast forwarding and rewinding 720p video files). So, I want to turn it off (the eSATA drive) which leaves me with no internal drive and basically in a similar state as my O!Play. With the O!Play I can mount my samba shares and I am sure it can be done with the Ultio even without an internal drive (that is, even without the samba server software). The samba client is built into the Ultio and the O!Play. The question is what to edit with the Ultio to mount the shares (which would be mounted at /.../ramfs/volumes/ )? Otherwise I have to click too many times to get to what I want to view.

philip
post #650 of 1256 Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't try another drive in the Ultio, but that same drive worked fine for several weeks in the Ultio, and it still works fine in the enclosure. It's not the drive.

Why not hook it up via e-sata to the internal sata port? That way you get it acting as the internal drive and it won't disappear as it's getting the power from the enclosure, and I suspect that is really why things are disappearing. When I tried an internal 2.5" notebook drive it ended up vanishing. The power source seems picky when it comes to internal drives.

philip
post #651 of 1256 Old 11-14-2009, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Why not hook it up via e-sata to the internal sata port?

That seems like a lot of extra effort (cutting a hole in the case) for no real payout. If the drive is in an external enclosure, it makes no difference how it's connected. USB is plenty fast enough for video playback, so why bother with eSATA?
post #652 of 1256 Old 11-14-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:

None of this works if you don't have an internal drive as the mountdrive.sh file doesn't exist, since the samba directory isn't there. Is there a way around that? Basically I don't want to have an internal drive and that is where that samba stuff is (on the O!Play it is in the rom, but is writable in the 1.11 firmware).

philip

I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting an internal drive, but I don't know how you make this work without one.. Have you tried installing the samba modules without an internal and found that it won't install? If that is the case, it would seem the NVRAM is not modifiable, and you just cant do any of the tweaks I mentioned. There are adapters for Laptop drives to make them plug in to a normal connector, if you really want to do some of the tweaks, you could grab a tiny laptop drive and just use it as mount points for your external drives/shares and nothing else. Just tossing it out.
post #653 of 1256 Old 11-14-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That seems like a lot of extra effort (cutting a hole in the case) for no real payout. If the drive is in an external enclosure, it makes no difference how it's connected. USB is plenty fast enough for video playback, so why bother with eSATA?

The advantage is that the drive gets treated as the internal drive and so all the items which require an internal drive (samba server for example) are available to you. And the drive will never disappear as it's powered by the enclosure.

The hole you'd make is in the back plastic and is not hard to do. You can actually just run the cable between the case and the platic backplane without drilling a hole. I ran it that way for weeks but the small hole in the plastic (not the case) makes things look better

The downside is you lose portability.

philip
post #654 of 1256 Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting an internal drive, but I don't know how you make this work without one.. Have you tried installing the samba modules without an internal and found that it won't install? If that is the case, it would seem the NVRAM is not modifiable, and you just cant do any of the tweaks I mentioned. There are adapters for Laptop drives to make them plug in to a normal connector, if you really want to do some of the tweaks, you could grab a tiny laptop drive and just use it as mount points for your external drives/shares and nothing else. Just tossing it out.

The only reason is the fan. I dislike fans. Silence is golden...

Samba requires the internal drive. It won't install even if you have a USB drive. That's why the e-sata solution is kind of neat. I can't recall who suggested that (someone here in the 20 pages!). But I was just hoping for a driveless Ultio. SSD has been another suggestion and that is tempting, but not cheap.

I did try the laptop drive solution but I got into the disappearing drive problem with it and it also got very hot for some odd reason ( and would have forced me to use the fan).

Thank's for all the neat tips though. It's worth running my external e-sata internal drive.

philip
post #655 of 1256 Old 11-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The advantage is that the drive gets treated as the internal drive and so all the items which require an internal drive (samba server for example) are available to you. And the drive will never disappear as it's powered by the enclosure.

The hole you'd make is in the back plastic and is not hard to do. You can actually just run the cable between the case and the platic backplane without drilling a hole. I ran it that way for weeks but the small hole in the plastic (not the case) makes things look better

The downside is you lose portability.

philip

Out of curiosity why didn't you install the drive inside?
post #656 of 1256 Old 11-15-2009, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Out of curiosity why didn't you install the drive inside?

Because that would have forced me to run the fan, which I disabled. With no drive the Ultio runs cool. Maybe I'll try an SSD.

philip
post #657 of 1256 Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM

hi guys.. hope someone can help. i had an issue a couple of months ago where my ultio was freezing and it has started to do it again. i wiped my hard drive and put some new films on that i had downloaded and worked fine. it has now started to freeze again at exactly 14.18 on new films that i put on. existing films that i have watched are ok but any new films i put on freeze at 14mins 18secs. any ideas??
post #658 of 1256 Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltuna View Post

hi guys.. hope someone can help. i had an issue a couple of months ago where my ultio was freezing and it has started to do it again. i wiped my hard drive and put some new films on that i had downloaded and worked fine. it has now started to freeze again at exactly 14.18 on new films that i put on. existing films that i have watched are ok but any new films i put on freeze at 14mins 18secs. any ideas??

I get the same problem intermittently. Once it freezes you have to power cycle the unit right? Then when you power it back up it turns on. I'm not sure what the issue is, but it is happening with my second Ultio. First one is on for repair. Not a track record I'm proud of.
post #659 of 1256 Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltuna View Post

Have you tried upgrading or re-flashing the firmware?
post #660 of 1256 Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM

hi guys... i've upgraded to v1.3 but that didnt resolve it . will try the next version and see but not very optomistic.. i dont have to re-power the machine i can simply press return to go to the menu or if i try and play it then it restarts to the beginning of the film. this happened previously and i wiped the hard drive and started again and put new movies on. this has now happened again with different films (mp4)??? this must be a hardware issue as appose to codec right ? or is it possible they are coorupt files and freeze at exactly 14.18?? once again thanks for the help...i'm pretty buggered otherwise as im in the uk and dont fancy sending it back to the states then having to pay import tax on it again!! cheers
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page