Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1256 Old 11-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Member
 
cocopugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

Has anybody tried a 2TB internal or external hard drive with an Ultio?

Someone said they did, in an earlier post. They said the Ultio sees the complete 2TBs without any problems.
cocopugg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1256 Old 11-29-2009, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Burnerbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Troy/Caseville, MI
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

Someone said they did, in an earlier post. They said the Ultio sees the complete 2TBs without any problems.

I remember reading that too, but can't remember if it was internal or external. I don't think that matters as long as the FW is programmed for 2tb.

I wish they would fix the 760/780 to read 1.5tb like they said they would. I still us them.
Burnerbum is offline  
post #723 of 1256 Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Member
 
hearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

Someone said they did, in an earlier post. They said the Ultio sees the complete 2TBs without any problems.

Thanks for the replies! After consideration, I think that what I really want to do is create a NAS solution, as I have not seen many problems reported with the Ultio NAS capabilities.

Does anyone have any hardware recommendations on setting up a NAS?

Thanks!
Don
hearth is offline  
post #724 of 1256 Old 11-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Member
 
rozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Thank's. Great intuition. The run_tail file is in /etc/dvdplayer/script/ . Adding the mkdir and mount commands there does the trick.

By the the way, I haven't found an easy way to do that with the WDTV2 (other than that excellent alternative firmware).

Also, I have to say that the video from the Ultio for the things I watch is better than that from the WDTV2 (it's partly a subtitle issue).
Realtek devices. Seems like they are serious about pushing their chipset.

As far as run_tail, I say stick with whatever works for you. I like linking my stuff into the samba startup script because it survives software updates so i don't have to go back and modify files that reside in flash.

Can't say I ever use subtitles so I never noticed that the WDTV2 was deficient. Otherwise I can't tell the diff in video quality when compared to the ultio. I haven't had any desire to hack the WDTV2. Learning the in's and out's of the Ultio pretty much cured my meager hacking curiosity. If I ever wanted to go there, b-rad's mods are excellent.

My major concern with the ultio is its reliability, based on what I've read here in the forum. I even pulled mine apart and have the hard drive hanging outside in an attempt to avoid issues. Sort of defeats the purpose when it looks like a piece of junk and takes up as much real estate as my HTPC. I did try a really cheap SSD on the ultio once, and for whatever reason it didn't work. Oh well.

Don't think Asus has done a very good job with that release schedule. Seemed to be an awful lot of unhappy users when I scanned their forum. I'm sure the Realtek based devices will improve over time, but for now, Sigma/WD seem to be in the lead.

-rozz
rozz is offline  
post #725 of 1256 Old 11-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Member
 
cocopugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post

Can't say I ever use subtitles so I never noticed that the WDTV2 was deficient. Otherwise I can't tell the diff in video quality when compared to the ultio. I haven't had any desire to hack the WDTV2.
My major concern with the ultio is its reliability, based on what I've read here in the forum. I even pulled mine apart and have the hard drive hanging outside in an attempt to avoid issues. Sort of defeats the purpose when it looks like a piece of junk and takes up as much real estate as my HTPC. I did try a really cheap SSD on the ultio once, and for whatever reason it didn't work. Oh well.

Don't think Asus has done a very good job with that release schedule. Seemed to be an awful lot of unhappy users when I scanned their forum. I'm sure the Realtek based devices will improve over time, but for now, Sigma/WD seem to be in the lead.

-rozz

I agree with you, that I don't enjoy the thought of having my hard drive outside the Ultio, as it makes it no better than a WDTV Live. However, that being said, I have also read reviews that indicate that the picture quality of HD files on the WDTV Live look grainier than the same files look on the Ultio. Here's the link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1198896
As a result, my Ultio may look like an open piece of junk, but as long as the picture looks the best of any of these media players, I'll stay with it...at least until something better comes along.
cocopugg is offline  
post #726 of 1256 Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
candre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

I have also read reviews that indicate that the picture quality of HD files on the WDTV Live look grainier than the same files look on the Ultio.

True, but Sigma 8635-based devices (like the original WDTV and PCH boxes) look better than either of those.
candre23 is offline  
post #727 of 1256 Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Member
 
cocopugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

True, but Sigma 8635-based devices (like the original WDTV and PCH boxes) look better than either of those.

Maybe, but I've read somewhere that the WDTV skips frames with certain video files, as well as ISO files. I haven't experienced that at all with the Ultio.
cocopugg is offline  
post #728 of 1256 Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Member
 
rozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

Maybe, but I've read somewhere that the WDTV skips frames with certain video files, as well as ISO files. I haven't experienced that at all with the Ultio.

The WDTV2, like the Ultio, is not perfect. The last WDTV2 firmware update seeemed to solve some issues I was having with certain format files (h.264 with AAC audio) in terms of dropped frames. Currently, I have no issues with ISO's on the WDTV. Still have one or two files that exhibit audio sync problems but on the reverse, some files that wouldn't play at all on the Ultio play back fine on the WDTV. It's a mixed bag and supporting every audio/video/codec/container is a near impossibility.

My plan is to find the player I deem as most suitable and if I have to convert a few files to another format to avoid issues, that's what I'll end up doing.

In tried to do some comparisions in video quality, and to my eyes, the Ultio might have a slight advantage. A lot of this is strictly in the eyes of the beholder. As far as I'm concerned, unless I'm doing a direct A/B comparision, I'd find it difficult to discern any noteable difference in video quality.

-rozz
rozz is offline  
post #729 of 1256 Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Member
 
xxcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i wonder if it would be able to write an add-on piece of software for the ultio that would enable you to simply type in a web addy and use the wireless/wired internet connection to listen to on line radio stations???

it would be cool for sirius/xm radio, other cities sports radio, etc. any programmers out there willing to try????
xxcalibur is offline  
post #730 of 1256 Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post

In tried to do some comparisions in video quality, and to my eyes, the Ultio might have a slight advantage. A lot of this is strictly in the eyes of the beholder. As far as I'm concerned, unless I'm doing a direct A/B comparision, I'd find it difficult to discern any noteable difference in video quality.

-rozz

I agree. They both seem the same to me, except when it comes to subtitles and that is where the Ultio shines. If subtitles are not an issue then any of the players are quite good.

Too bad the SSD didn't work, but I am not surprised. I still feel something is off with the power connection part of the internal sata.

My external e-sata to internal sata works great, looks fine ( drive is silent and hidden behind the TV) and is currently off as the Ultio streams stuff really well. It also logs into my d-link nas really easily, something I can't quite do with the WDTV2 (I can log in but it takes 3 extra clicks).

The internal drive situation of the Ultio should be addressed once and for all. It really limits the appeal of the device. A Patriot Box Office would probably be more reliable and less expensive.

The Asus !OPlay users are upset over firmware 1.13() I think. Asus did come on their forum to address all the issues so I think you'll see fewer complaints. In any case it seems that every platform has a large number of users wanting the world out of units that cost less than a remote ...

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #731 of 1256 Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

Thanks for the replies! After consideration, I think that what I really want to do is create a NAS solution, as I have not seen many problems reported with the Ultio NAS capabilities.

Does anyone have any hardware recommendations on setting up a NAS?

Thanks!
Don

You could get a D-Link DNS-323. It is inexpensive, holds 2 sata drives, has gigabit wired ethernet and works great with all my media players ( Ultio, wdtv2, appleTV, Asus O!Play, Mac Mini). I have mine going to a netgear gigabit router and that router then goes off to an Apple Airport Express Base station (it has wired gigabit and wireless n) which then goes to a dsl modem ( it has 100mbit ethernet, wireless g). Most streaming is done in a wired way (except the ATV which use wireless-n) which I find more reliable, even over 100mbs.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #732 of 1256 Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Member
 
cocopugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

My external e-sata to internal sata works great, looks fine ( drive is silent and hidden behind the TV) and is currently off as the Ultio streams stuff really well.
philip

That's my main gripe with using an external e-sata connected to the internal sata port of the Ultio. Even though your drive is hidden behind your TV, you still have to manually turn it on whenever you want your Ultio to access it, and you have to turn off both units after your done viewing your videos for the day. If only the Ultio could control the on/off function of the external drives, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I mean, not only have we lost a sleep function (which the 760/780HD has) but now we lost the ability to use an internal drive as well. Outside of playing HD files, it seems to me like Mvix took a step backwards with the Ultio rather than a step forward.
cocopugg is offline  
post #733 of 1256 Old 12-01-2009, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

That's my main gripe with using an external e-sata connected to the internal sata port of the Ultio. Even though your drive is hidden behind your TV, you still have to manually turn it on whenever you want your Ultio to access it, and you have to turn off both units after your done viewing your videos for the day. If only the Ultio could control the on/off function of the external drives, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I mean, not only have we lost a sleep function (which the 760/780HD has) but now we lost the ability to use an internal drive as well. Outside of playing HD files, it seems to me like Mvix took a step backwards with the Ultio rather than a step forward.

You do have a point. The unit won't power off or even put the e-sata drive to sleep. When I was using the e-sata drive I just left the drive on all the time as it does go into a low power mode and didn't get hot. Turning drives on and off isn't necessarily good for them and they really use very little power.

The Patriot Box Office is an alternative which is very similar to the Ultio. It takes an internal 2.5" drive or an SSD. If I were buying yet another unit I'd probably have a good look at it.

I don't know why the Ultio wouldn't power down a USB external. For some reason it won't do that either, which is something the WDTV Live does well for me at least (even for an external drive in a Vantec case- identical to the one I have connected to the Ultio). Odd. Perhaps a firmware upgrade can fix that?

I've left the Ultio on for days and nothing seemed to happen. Are you sure it doesn't go into some suspend mode?

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #734 of 1256 Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Member
 
cocopugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I've left the Ultio on for days and nothing seemed to happen. Are you sure it doesn't go into some suspend mode?

philip

Oh that's another thing that bugs me about the Ultio. It's supposed to have a screensaver, but the screensaver only starts if you are on a menu screen, searching for something to play. Why doesn't the screensaver work when you pause a movie? That would seem like the logical time to need a screensaver, no?
cocopugg is offline  
post #735 of 1256 Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Newbie
 
Shammie_Hands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

You could get a D-Link DNS-323. It is inexpensive, holds 2 sata drives, has gigabit wired ethernet and works great with all my media players ( Ultio, wdtv2, appleTV, Asus O!Play, Mac Mini)........

philip

I picked up my Ultio last week despite the internal drive issues as all of my content is on a D-LINK DNS-323. So far the Ultio has worked well connected over a wired network to the DNS-323. The DNS-323 has issues of it's own that you can tweak around if you install the funplug "hack" to access the linux interface.

The Ultio has played most of the content that I have without any problems. The only real issue that I have had is it can't decode the audio on the video files of my Canon Camera.

As others have mentioned the interface could be a little cleaner to view files, but I actually like the Ultio interface better than the MG-350 that I was using. It would be nice if you could program keys to go directly to folders for music, photo's and video.

The fan on my unit is actually quite loud and I don't ever turn the unit off, but with my setup it doesn't really matter. I have all my "hardware" (XBox 360, Ultio, Cable Box) in the basement connected to a component matrix switcher that feeds the 2 LCD screens I have.

I am controlling everything with a logitech 880. As mentioned earlier in this thread I had to learn a few buttons that were missing from the profile supplied by Logitech. (mainly the "ok" button and I created some custom keys for setup etc)

I guess I will have to run it for 2 months to see if the gremlins kick in that others have seen,

Cheers,
Shammie_Hands is offline  
post #736 of 1256 Old 12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammie_Hands View Post

The fan on my unit is actually quite loud and I don't ever turn the unit off, but with my setup it doesn't really matter. I have all my "hardware" (XBox 360, Ultio, Cable Box) in the basement connected to a component matrix switcher that feeds the 2 LCD screens I have.

Since I don't have an internal drive I disabled the fan. It's been working for 5 months just fine.

Can't the XBox run XBMC?

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #737 of 1256 Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
candre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Can't the XBox run XBMC?

No. Only the original Xbox was able to run homebrew applications. There have been some very interesting developments in Xbox 360 hacking in the last few days that allow consoles without the latest patch to be "liberated", but it will be a while before that becomes a viable option as a media center.
candre23 is offline  
post #738 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Member
 
rozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With all the concerns related to heat/power and the related failures, is there anyone other than myself that might find this useful?

I'm not talking about making the internal sata drive external, but instead running the Ultio with only an externally connected USB drive.

If you take the Ultio and only connect a USB drive (no internal drive), it runs fine, minus one feature that I can't live without - namely SAMBA.

With a USB drive only, there is no samba as it is expected to be installed and run from one of the partitions on the internal drive.

I've been experimenting and I appear to have found a way around this but I'm still testing it. How far I take it (like making it an installable package) depends on if anyone else would find this configuration useful.. and of course, if my own interest holds up.

-rozz
rozz is offline  
post #739 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Newbie
 
miletb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post

I'm not talking about making the internal sata drive external, but instead running the Ultio with only an externally connected USB drive.

If you take the Ultio and only connect a USB drive (no internal drive), it runs fine, minus one feature that I can't live without - namely SAMBA.

Samba can work perfectly with full mipsel linux system installed on USB flash memory. I posted guide earlier - there is also fully operational latest samba package that can be used for this purpose. Low network transfer speed stays on both stock samba and upgraded samba from this package.
miletb is offline  
post #740 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Member
 
rozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miletb View Post

Samba can work perfectly with full mipsel linux system installed on USB flash memory. I posted guide earlier - there is also fully operational latest samba package that can be used for this purpose. Low network transfer speed stays on both stock samba and upgraded samba from this package.

Thanks. A more complete Linux as you suggested in your prior post is always an option, with optware, etc. but I just wanted to run the existing samba from a standard NTFS formatted USB drive with minimal hacking of the original installation.

I'm far from an expert on screwing with Linux internals but as it turns out it wasn't that difficult to manually get samba running in the manner I suggested. Now I just have to see if my shell scripting is up to the task of reliably automating the process.
rozz is offline  
post #741 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Newbie
 
ira39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammie_Hands View Post

I picked up my Ultio last week despite the internal drive issues as all of my content is on a D-LINK DNS-323. So far the Ultio has worked well connected over a wired network to the DNS-323. The DNS-323 has issues of it's own that you can tweak around if you install the funplug "hack" to access the linux interface.

The Ultio has played most of the content that I have without any problems. The only real issue that I have had is it can't decode the audio on the video files of my Canon Camera.

As others have mentioned the interface could be a little cleaner to view files, but I actually like the Ultio interface better than the MG-350 that I was using. It would be nice if you could program keys to go directly to folders for music, photo's and video.

The fan on my unit is actually quite loud and I don't ever turn the unit off, but with my setup it doesn't really matter. I have all my "hardware" (XBox 360, Ultio, Cable Box) in the basement connected to a component matrix switcher that feeds the 2 LCD screens I have.

I am controlling everything with a logitech 880. As mentioned earlier in this thread I had to learn a few buttons that were missing from the profile supplied by Logitech. (mainly the "ok" button and I created some custom keys for setup etc)

I guess I will have to run it for 2 months to see if the gremlins kick in that others have seen,

Cheers,

I have been in touch with Mvix support

Because I get no Mpeg- 1 2 and 3 layer audio.

I am using 2.1 and hear that rolling back to 1.3 helps the issue.

It may be related to your issue, hopefully a new firmware release is on the way.

On another note I have not had any of the issues with heat and drives etc.
ira39 is offline  
post #742 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Member
 
xxcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone have issues formatting a WD black caviar drive??? just got a new 720gig and its taking FOREVER to format....it may have locked up. i dont remember the old drive (WD 320gig) taking long at all.
xxcalibur is offline  
post #743 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Member
 
cocopugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcalibur View Post

anyone have issues formatting a WD black caviar drive??? just got a new 720gig and its taking FOREVER to format....it may have locked up. i dont remember the old drive (WD 320gig) taking long at all.

My Ultio formatted my 1TB WD green drive in about 5 minutes, so I'm guessing something may be wrong with yours. Which firmware does your Ultio currently have installed?
cocopugg is offline  
post #744 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post

With all the concerns related to heat/power and the related failures, is there anyone other than myself that might find this useful?

I'm not talking about making the internal sata drive external, but instead running the Ultio with only an externally connected USB drive.

If you take the Ultio and only connect a USB drive (no internal drive), it runs fine, minus one feature that I can't live without - namely SAMBA.

With a USB drive only, there is no samba as it is expected to be installed and run from one of the partitions on the internal drive.

I've been experimenting and I appear to have found a way around this but I'm still testing it. How far I take it (like making it an installable package) depends on if anyone else would find this configuration useful.. and of course, if my own interest holds up.

-rozz

I for one would find this very useful. That was the only reason I went the esata to sata route previously. In fact, I'd rather use USB, so please consider this as a request which would make my day, so to speak...

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #745 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Opentoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopugg View Post

Oh that's another thing that bugs me about the Ultio. It's supposed to have a screensaver, but the screensaver only starts if you are on a menu screen, searching for something to play. Why doesn't the screensaver work when you pause a movie? That would seem like the logical time to need a screensaver, no?

I hope this is a "bug" or forgotten about and fixed soon. Why have a screen saver just for the UI?
Opentoe is offline  
post #746 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Opentoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcalibur View Post

anyone have issues formatting a WD black caviar drive??? just got a new 720gig and its taking FOREVER to format....it may have locked up. i dont remember the old drive (WD 320gig) taking long at all.

I used a Black inside once (1TB) but it ran so hot I removed it and stuck it in an enclsoure and attached it to my computer instead.
Opentoe is offline  
post #747 of 1256 Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I hope this is a "bug" or forgotten about and fixed soon. Why have a screen saver just for the UI?

I agree, it is odd. I doubt we will see major improvements until Realtek improves its SDK. All the companies using Realtek seem to be on hold when it comes to major improvements. I am impressed though with Patriot for addressing the noisy fan issue. That is something mvixusa should consider, as well as the power issue.

pmcd
pmcd is offline  
post #748 of 1256 Old 12-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Member
 
cocopugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I agree, it is odd. I doubt we will see major improvements until Realtek improves its SDK. All the companies using Realtek seem to be on hold when it comes to major improvements. I am impressed though with Patriot for addressing the noisy fan issue. That is something mvixusa should consider, as well as the power issue.

pmcd

Right now Mvix' biggest concern without a doubt should be to address the power issue. I am certain they have been FLOODED with people returning their Ultios for repair due to the processor overheating, causing erratic behavior. My guess is that anyone who has sent their unit in for this type of problem, when they get back a WORKING Ultio, it has either been replaced with another unit, or they had to replace the processor on the original unit. Either way, I am pretty sure the problem is that the Ultio's processor burns out due to the power drain caused by using an internal drive, which puts too much of a strain on the processor, causing it to burn out within months. This is why everyone reporting this problem has been using an internal hard drive, while everyone happy with the unit after 3 months of use, has either been using an external USB drive, or connecting an external e-sata to the Ultio's internal sata connector.
cocopugg is offline  
post #749 of 1256 Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Newbie
 
Momotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone tried to upgrade the Ultio using the Mede8er firmware ? It is supposed to be using the same base platform so maybe it is compatible. Mede8er is using the latest Realtek SDK and the GUI is much nicer.

mede8er firmware
hxxp://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21899
Momotte is offline  
post #750 of 1256 Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Member
 
rozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotte View Post

Anyone tried to upgrade the Ultio using the Mede8er firmware ? It is supposed to be using the same base platform so maybe it is compatible. Mede8er is using the latest Realtek SDK and the GUI is much nicer.

mede8er firmware
hxxp://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21899

Don't recall if I tried that one, but if you look back thru my posts you'll find I tried at least 3 flashings of other manufacturers software. One or two sort of worked, but it turned out the hardware was just different enough to render them essentially useless. I've got the mede8er software on my hard drive so I'm betting I tried it and it didn't work.
rozz is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off