Mvix Ultio "It Plays All" HD media streamer debuts in the U.S. July 6 for $179 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1256 Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey View Post

telemike, are there any inside-and-out photos of the AC Ryan posted anywhere? Does the internal physical hardware of the AC Ryan look anything like the Ultio pics posted in this thread? I'm wondering who the OEM manufacturer is for the AC Ryan. I'm guessing it is not noontec?

The devices are not exact clones of each other, but they do use the same processor and run the same software. The machines are functionally (if not actually) identical.

The OEM factory isn't really important. Weather it's Noontec or somebody else, AC Ryan is the company that will (or won't) supply firmware updates and bug fixes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1256 Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

The devices are not exact clones of each other, but they do use the same processor and run the same software. The machines are functionally (if not actually) identical.

The OEM factory isn't really important. Weather it's Noontec or somebody else, AC Ryan is the company that will (or won't) supply firmware updates and bug fixes.

Well I just wanted to know. For example, if the AC Ryan motherboard is noontec derived perhaps the firmware and/or remotes might be interchangeable.

I want to know if I'd be buying any different physical hardware if I purchased the AC Ryan over the Ultio. So, the OEM is important, or at least interesting, to me. I want to know if the AC Ryan is anything like an Ultio from the ground up, not just 'functionally' or 'close to' or 'similar'.

Since the AC Ryan has 30sec skip, a menu button, and a better remote, it is still in the running for me. I don't think it is a bad idea to want to see internal photos before I go to the trouble of importing the thing.
post #123 of 1256 Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Concerning the AC Ryan, I did not take any pics when I installed the HDD. The realtek chip has a heat sink on top is all I remember.

Here's the manual: http://www.acryan.com/downloads/manu...100_Manual.pdf

I am really happy with it for playing videos stored on internal HDD.

BT client works well except for private trackers
post #124 of 1256 Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I just wanted to know. For example, if the AC Ryan motherboard is noontec derived perhaps the firmware and/or remotes might be interchangeable.

As I said, the devices are not clones of each other. Having the same processor and running the same software makes them like two desktop PCs from different manufacturers. The user experience is the same, but you wouldn't want to flash the BIOS of one machine onto the other.

In other words, it is extremely unlikely that the firmwares are interchangeable.
post #125 of 1256 Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:

As I said, the devices are not clones of each other. Having the same processor and running the same software makes them like two desktop PCs from different manufacturers. The user experience is the same, but you wouldn't want to flash the BIOS of one machine onto the other.

In other words, it is extremely unlikely that the firmwares are interchangeable.

Ok, I will stop wanting to know anything about the physical nature of the hardware that I buy. I now just care about its function. I'm a functionalist now.

I've blown a lot of cash on media players over the past five years, so I research them thoroughly. I have a klegg media share here that is running cibox firmware, and there are others. But maybe I should just think of them all as mysterious black boxes.
post #126 of 1256 Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I will stop wanting to know anything about the physical nature of the hardware that I buy. I now just care about its function. I'm a functionalist now.

I've blown a lot of cash on media players over the past five years, so I research them thoroughly. I have a klegg media share here that is running cibox firmware, and there are others. But maybe I should just think of them all as mysterious black boxes.

There's no reason to get bent out of shape. I'm merely trying to point out that if you're expecting the Playon HD to be significantly better than the Ultio (other than having a couple extra buttons on the remote), it won't be. Furthermore, just by looking at the connectors on the box you can tell that the underlying PCB is not the same. Even if they are made in the same factory, the chances that the firmware is interchangeable between devices is virtually nil.

If you just want to know what the PCB looks like for the sake of knowing, that's fine. But any information that might persuade your buying decision can be deduced from what we already know.
post #127 of 1256 Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:

But any information that might persuade your buying decision can be deduced from what we already know.

Historically, Mvixusa has a poor record of releasing firmware updates. I suspect this wasn't entirely their fault, as they were dependent on the manufacturer/OEM; Unicorn.

I suspect that things will largely be the same for the Ultio. While the open-source/OS portions may be readily modified by almost anyone, the low-level firmware is likely to be in the realm of the the manufacturer/OEM; in this case noontec.

Well, it doesn't seem that noontec releases firmware for their own products so much. So I expect that Mvixusa might be in the same boat this time around.

So, I was wondering who AC Ryan might be dependent on for the low-level firmware. I think this is an important buying decision. So, that is why I think that knowing the manufacturer/OEM of the AC Ryan might be worthwhile. Mvixusa and AC Ryan might have a SDK for the high-level OS, but may still be dependent on the manufacturer for the low-level firmware.

I'm still considering the AC Ryan, because the 30sec skip and menu features are important to me - much more so than all the high end audio codec stuff.
post #128 of 1256 Old 07-09-2009, 03:18 PM

So at this point, mid-2009, we basically still don't have a budget (or even expensive) box that plays most files, and has a good GUI. Are we waiting for WDTV2?

Would it then make more sense to go say for a Mac Mini and have everything we want (all codecs, DVD player, network streaming, internal HD, remote control, wired or wireless, internet, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc in the box)?
post #129 of 1256 Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

So at this point, mid-2009, we basically still don't have a budget (or even expensive) box that plays most files, and has a good GUI. Are we waiting for WDTV2?

Would it then make more sense to go say for a Mac Mini and have everything we want (all codecs, DVD player, network streaming, internal HD, remote control, wired or wireless, internet, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc in the box)?

This is the reason why I use 2 HTPCs as my primary players and just look for an nmt type device as a secondary/portable player

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #130 of 1256 Old 07-09-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Yea, that's pretty much the situation. But, in all fairness, it is quite difficult to have a box play all of these formats and codecs perfectly without any glitches. It is a tall order even for a large company let alone the small, obscure companies that seem to be the only ones producing these boxes. Why don't you see Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc, getting into this market? Cause it's difficult to make a successful product and would end up being a customer support nightmare. Instead you have smaller companies who are trying to cater but end up with glitchy and unreliable products.

Mac mini sounds like a good idea, in fact I'm considering getting one. However, Plex is still a bit unstable especially when using network streaming so I'm still waiting for it to get better.
post #131 of 1256 Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfire22 View Post

Yea, that's pretty much the situation. But, in all fairness, it is quite difficult to have a box play all of these formats and codecs perfectly without any glitches. It is a tall order even for a large company let alone the small, obscure companies that seem to be the only ones producing these boxes. Why don't you see Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc, getting into this market? Cause it's difficult to make a successful product and would end up being a customer support nightmare. Instead you have smaller companies who are trying to cater but end up with glitchy and unreliable products.

Mac mini sounds like a good idea, in fact I'm considering getting one. However, Plex is still a bit unstable especially when using network streaming so I'm still waiting for it to get better.

I'm in the same boat, would go with the Mac Mini if plex was more stable and i was 100% sure the mini could play 1080p MKV with no problem.
post #132 of 1256 Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I was really tempted by the $499 refurb Mini's the other day on the Apple Store... but it's still $499. And, they went OOS super quick. Ah well.
post #133 of 1256 Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was really tempted by the $499 refurb Mini's the other day on the Apple Store... but it's still $499. And, they went OOS super quick. Ah well.

Somoeone I know just got the Zotac Nvidia Ion platform. They are running W7 and have no problems so far playing their 1080p content in WMC (via Media Browser)

Cheers,
Damian

post #134 of 1256 Old 07-10-2009, 06:28 PM

I just set up my mvix ultio and I'm very disappointed. The BT and samba drivers have to be downloaded from the mvix site, copied to a USB stick, and loaded via a setup menu. This would be fine, except it doesn't work. You can't get into the menu page that loads the drivers. The firmware update function doesn't seem to do anything but make the unit go catatonic requiring a power cycle (unplug/plug). The upnp client hangs on large libraries. It runs very, very warm which doesn't bode well for the lifespan of any HD that's installed. The UI is okay and video quality seems good, but it has too many out-of-box issues for me to have any confidence in it as a viable product.

Not recommended.
post #135 of 1256 Old 07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfachime View Post

The firmware update function doesn't seem to do anything but make the unit go catatonic requiring a power cycle (unplug/plug).
It runs very, very warm which doesn't bode well for the lifespan of any HD that's installed.

It sounds like you have a bum unit. I was by no means happy with the Ultio's overall performance, but I was able to update the firmware in one try with no problems. I didn't have any heat issues either. I copied about 300GB of data onto the HD over the course of a couple hours, and even with all that activity it was barely warm to the touch, top and bottom. I even left the device on over night and in the morning it was only slightly warm.
post #136 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Been trying to keep track of this thread, has anyone been happy with the Ultio, has it lived up to expectations?

Cheers,
Damian

post #137 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 03:47 AM

I've been following it too. It seems the thread strolled OT a few posts back. Maybe people can keep OT discussion about what player they'll be getting INSTEAD of the Ultio to other threads? But from the users reviews I've read in this thread, it sounds like the "It Plays All" slogan is simply cynical marketing attempt, as from what I've been reading "It Doesn't Play All". Any owners disagree?

Seems like the Ultio was finished before it got started. Have there been any users in this thread who ordered the Ultio, really liked it, and plan on keeping it as their primary use player?
post #138 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Why don't you see Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc, getting into this market? Cause it's difficult to make a successful product and would end up being a customer support nightmare.

Haahaha...well you have WD who indeed are experiencing the customer support nighmare, primarilly from AVSForum members LOL...next we'll have ASUS' O! to fry...
post #139 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 07:16 AM

I was actually surprised to find this forum and so many negatives on the unit. I am actually very happy with it now that I have everything setup and tweaked so I will give my pros and cons.

I was mainly looking for something that would play x264/h264 HD in a mkv container, so when Mvix sent me the pre-release I went with it.

First thing out of the box I was surprised at the assortment of cables that they gave me. I dont think I have ever purchased a device that came with the HDMI cable. I jumped right into hooking the device up. To my surprise when I went to push the HDMI cable in the back of it, the whole insides popped out! No screws installed. I was lucky it didn't drop to the floor.

After I had it hooked up, I immediately started testing streaming of video. At first everything worked really good on both 1080P and 720P video. But that wasn't to last. As I started going through my movies I came up on a Starship Troopers release I had and it started to stutter almost immediately. Of course I was like WTF! As I continued going through my movies I started to encounter the problem more often, so I started looking for the common aspect between the movies. What I found is that the streaming of video over 9000 bitrate isnt going to work. Unfortunately the Mvix still only has a 10/100 ethernet jack. The streaming probably wouldn't be a problem if it had a 1000.

On that note, I was able to confirm this by hooking the movies up via a external USB drive to the mvix and they played perfectly without a hitch.

Now onto something I found to be completely STUPID. Due to the fact that my high bitrate movies werent going to stream properly I figured I would take a 750 gb drive from my current media serving machine and put it directly into the mvix. This drive currently has about 500 gigs of movies on it. I put it in the mvix and it comes up perfectly with all videos working perfect so I am happy with that. I then go over to the BT/Samba tab so I can get that working so I will be able to transfer additional movies over via the network. A message pops up on the screen saying Invalid HDD Partition. There is only one partition on the drive and it is formatted NTFS. I send in a TT to Mvix and get a very fast response in about 30 minutes. In order to use any of the utilities the drive has to formatted inside the mvix due to the fact that the drive is made into 3 partitions for utils/swap/data. Im like oh great. Now I have to transfer 500 gigs of data off my drive to another location so I can format the drive and then transfer the data back. Finally I did this whole process and the samba worked.

Next, I was wondering if the mvix would stream the DTS to my onkyo because DTS is not on the supported audio list. It DOES work. So if you have a DTS capable receiver you are good to go. Just make sure the audio out on the mvix is set to raw.

On a bad note, I have several HD WMV files. I currently have not been able to figure out why the mvix wont stream the WMA audio in 5.1 to my receiver. It downsamples it to 2.0 pcm 48. I'll have to use my 360 for now on those.
post #140 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote=badness430;16807147]There is only one partition on the drive and it is formatted NTFS. I send in a TT to Mvix and get a very fast response in about 30 minutes. In order to use any of the utilities the drive has to formatted inside the mvix due to the fact that the drive is made into 3 partitions for utils/swap/data. Im like oh great. Now I have to transfer 500 gigs of data off my drive to another location so I can format the drive and then transfer the data back. Finally I did this whole process and the samba worked.
QUOTE]

Could you have connected the drive to your pc and created these partitions without deleting everything on it with something like partition magic? I have the same situaion, 2 Mvix players with WD 1tb drives and i would hate to have to copy all that to the Ultio over samba.

I looked at the remote but didn't see a sleep button. Does is have a sleep mode somewhere so you can program it to shut down?

Plus i thought i read somewhere that you can add a fan to the unit but i didn't see anywhere on the case that would accomodate one. Is there some popout or something?

Thanks.
post #141 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badness430 View Post

. I currently have not been able to figure out why the mvix wont stream the WMA audio in 5.1 to my receiver. It downsamples it to 2.0 pcm 48. I'll have to use my 360 for now on those.

Haven't seen a receiver that would decode WMA 5.1 stream...hopefully it downsamples to Prologic so you may use that setting on your receiver to get some kind of surround...do you get dialog on the stereo downmix from WMA 5.1 anyway? that would at least mean that you get all 6 channels mixed into stereo and not just FL and FR...I don't think WMA can be re-coded to 5.1 DD or DTS...I wonder if any media player can do it for that matter (could be wrong though)...
post #142 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

Haven't seen a receiver that would decode WMA 5.1 stream...hopefully it downsamples to Prologic so you may use that setting on your receiver to get some kind of surround...do you get dialog on the stereo downmix from WMA 5.1 anyway? that would at least mean that you get all 6 channels mixed into stereo and not just FL and FR...I don't think WMA can be re-coded to 5.1 DD or DTS...I wonder if any media player can do it for that matter (could be wrong though)...

It does downsample to Prologic.

The difference is, I guess since its a Microsoft product, the Xbox360 plays the WMA in 5.1 to your receiver.
post #143 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 AM

[quote=Burnerbum;16807233]
Quote:

There is only one partition on the drive and it is formatted NTFS. I send in a TT to Mvix and get a very fast response in about 30 minutes. In order to use any of the utilities the drive has to formatted inside the mvix due to the fact that the drive is made into 3 partitions for utils/swap/data. Im like oh great. Now I have to transfer 500 gigs of data off my drive to another location so I can format the drive and then transfer the data back. Finally I did this whole process and the samba worked.
QUOTE]

Could you have connected the drive to your pc and created these partitions without deleting everything on it with something like partition magic? I have the same situaion, 2 Mvix players with WD 1tb drives and i would hate to have to copy all that to the Ultio over samba.

I looked at the remote but didn't see a sleep button. Does is have a sleep mode somewhere so you can program it to shut down?

Plus i thought i read somewhere that you can add a fan to the unit but i didn't see anywhere on the case that would accomodate one. Is there some popout or something?

Thanks.

The problem with the partition is you would need to know the sizes for each. Mvix never gave me that information.

No sleep mode that I have found.

I see nowhere to add a fan. it does have a small fan of its own though.
post #144 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It does downsample to Prologic.

The difference is, I guess since its a Microsoft product, the Xbox360 plays the WMA in 5.1 to your receiver.

then it MUST be re-coding it to 5.1 DD...I'm not that familiar with XBox, but will check, out of interest, what it does with WMA when outputting...
post #145 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote=badness430;16807354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

The problem with the partition is you would need to know the sizes for each. Mvix never gave me that information.

No sleep mode that I have found.

I see nowhere to add a fan. it does have a small fan of its own though.

If i order one i will format a hard drive in the Mvix and check the partitions and then try and duplicate it using the pc. But after thinking about it I don't know if the Mvix would recognize partitions created by another program, ie, Partition Magic. Too bad about the sleep function, i use that a lot when watching it in the bedroom. About the fan, i think that was another player i was reading about.
Thanks for the reply
post #146 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 06:35 PM

I have noticed a side effect. My HDMI Control functions dont work anymore when the Mvix is plugged in.

I have a Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Onkyo SR605, Sony BSP301 Bluray, DirecTV HR20.

Before no matter what I did, all the HDMI devices worked in sync. If I picked up the TV remote and used the volume the tv would send a volume control via the HDMI to the Onkyo and turn up the volume. I could turn of the power on the TV and the Onkyo power would go off. With all devices off if I hit the play button on the Bluray, everything would turn on and the Onkyo would automatically select the blueray input.

Now with the mvix plugged in (even powered off) none of the HDMI control functions work anymore. I can immediately disconnect the HDMI cable from the mvix and everything functions normally.
post #147 of 1256 Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:

I have noticed a side effect. My HDMI Control functions dont work anymore when the Mvix is plugged in.
Now with the mvix plugged in (even powered off) none of the HDMI control functions work anymore. I can immediately disconnect the HDMI cable from the mvix and everything functions normally.

How do you have the video setup on your ultio configured? Is it set to 'HDMI auto', as opposed to a specific resolution? It sounds like the mvix has constant HDMI com chatter going on.
post #148 of 1256 Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonapart View Post

How do you have the video setup on your ultio configured? Is it set to 'HDMI auto', as opposed to a specific resolution? It sounds like the mvix has constant HDMI com chatter going on.

I have mine locked at 1080P. No auto.
post #149 of 1256 Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM

I can live with it. It's just a pain in the butt to have use multiple remotes for things.
post #150 of 1256 Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Somoeone I know just got the Zotac Nvidia Ion platform. They are running W7 and have no problems so far playing their 1080p content in WMC (via Media Browser)

I got the impression from comments over at Tom's (link www\\.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-ion-htpc,2329.html ... still can't post links "properly" here ) that it all depends on how much whatever you are doing happens to stress the CPU. The Atom, while no doubt a true engineering feat at this time, just ain't all that when compared to your average Core 2 Duo.

Or to quote the article ...
Any time you're not taking advantage of the GeForce 9300's GPU acceleration, you're at the mercy of Intel's Atom CPU. On the desktop, that's really a recipe for frustration.
Quote:

I would caution against anything other than the early 2009 Mac Mini which uses the Nvidia 9400 chipset/video. While the earlier versions of the Mac Mini using the Intel integrated graphics may well work, I don't think you'd be as happy with them as you would with the Nvidea.

FWIW,

-irrational john
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page