Best Player/Streamer that Plays MKV with multi channel flac - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Player/Streamer that Plays MKV with multi channel flac for audio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

Best Player/Streamer that Plays MKV with multi channel flac for audio?

I see the term "multi channel flac" used a lot, especially as it relates to mkv files. What is special about it?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 AM

basically it's a way of pirating (sorry, 'ripping') TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio into a non-DRM format.

essentially you have bit perfect audio that can be played by the majority of software players out there.

it also bypasses the 48kHz/16bit downmix for ATI HDMI LPCM audio when playing from a bluray disc. giving you the original sample rate and bit depth.

no current standalones support it as far as i know.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 01:41 PM

I would love to know that answer as well...My needs are bit more pedestrian than yours...

All I want to do is rip DVD-Audio files into multichannel uncompressed FLAC that DVDAudioExplorer allows you to do.

What I have seen is that my WDTV player does play some of the ripped multi channel FLAC's but it refuses to play some and I have not experimented to see which ones it refuses to play(meaning I have not nailed it down to the exact details on which ones it refuses to play that I can share here)...

What I find puzzling is that the optical output from WDTV does decode into multichannel audio (the FLAC's that WDTV does accept) but my Pioneer Elite reciever does not show any icon to show it is multichannel audio (like it does for DD or DTS)...so I do not know what the reciever is doing when it recieves the digital output...all I can tell is that it is at least playing some of the ripped files and I can tell it is multi channel and breaking the output correctly into the right speakers.

Any ideas on what is going on in terms of why WDTV is not playing some ripped multi-ch FLAC's and also what is being processed by my reciever and how?

Thanks
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dont Hi-Jack my thread... but the answer is that depending on the bit rate and frequency (ie 96Khz 24 bit) the FLAC was rendered will depend on whether or not it will compatible with optical (SPDIF). Unfortunately FLAC outputs PCM which SPDIF will only accept 2 Channels and some not at all at high bit/sampling rates. Multi Channel FLAC with 16 bit and greater and 44Khz and greater requires HDMI due to the bandwidth requirements. This is a normal limitation of the SPDIF spec and why HDMI has become so prevalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapjp View Post

I would love to know that answer as well...My needs are bit more pedestrian than yours...

All I want to do is rip DVD-Audio files into multichannel uncompressed FLAC that DVDAudioExplorer allows you to do.

What I have seen is that my WDTV player does play some of the ripped multi channel FLAC's but it refuses to play some and I have not experimented to see which ones it refuses to play(meaning I have not nailed it down to the exact details on which ones it refuses to play that I can share here)...

What I find puzzling is that the optical output from WDTV does decode into multichannel audio (the FLAC's that WDTV does accept) but my Pioneer Elite reciever does not show any icon to show it is multichannel audio (like it does for DD or DTS)...so I do not know what the reciever is doing when it recieves the digital output...all I can tell is that it is at least playing some of the ripped files and I can tell it is multi channel and breaking the output correctly into the right speakers.

Any ideas on what is going on in terms of why WDTV is not playing some ripped multi-ch FLAC's and also what is being processed by my reciever and how?

Thanks

post #6 of 6 Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So do we know anything more about what players can handle MKV's with multi-channel flac?

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page