Updated Media Player Comparison Grid - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 309 Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
iboum

Based on what rules you rated this one? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 309 Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Popcorn Hour's C-200 plays blu ray rips and ISOs. Probably others do also; its just the brand I watch most closely.
post #93 of 309 Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

iboum

Based on what rules you rated this one? Thanks.

The ratings are based on a mix of specifications, reviews/opinions online, personal experience, and price. Usually in that order of importance.

iboum.com
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 309 Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum View Post

The ratings are based on a mix of specifications, reviews/opinions online, personal experience, and price. Usually in that order of importance.

you have a great website, but i humbly differ rating of acryan and cinematube be the same. can u please advise? is it lower price makes it better? as I understand, aryan has lot better build quality plus capability of hard drive installation.
post #95 of 309 Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

you have a great website, but i humbly differ rating of acryan and cinematube be the same. can u please advise? is it lower price makes it better? as I understand, aryan has lot better build quality plus capability of hard drive installation.

The rating system is highly discreet. Intentionally so. Most players are in the 2-3 /5 range. Because two players are rated the same does does not mean that they are equivalent. We link to loads of external reviews and people should read these for more detailed info.

Up until last week the ACRyan was given 4/5. I reduced both it and the Xtreamer due to them being more expensive than players of similar performance (Cinematube, Astone AP-100, Emtec N200, ASUS O!Play, IcyBox IB-MP305), both having noisy fans, and firmware updates on the ACRyan not progressing as quickly as I'd hoped. IMHO it doesn't deserve 4/5. The Cinematube scores the same 3/5 as the ACRYan and Xtreamer because, although it doesn't have an inbuilt harddrive option, it is cheaper.

I would happily return both the Xtreamer and the ACRyan to 4/5 and the top of the ratings chart if/when they get a decent Media Jukebox, more stable firmware, more visually attractive firmware, silent operation, ........

http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php

iboum.com
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 309 Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 AM

I think this is a great idea. Maybe make it a Google spreadsheet so it can grow more easily?
post #97 of 309 Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 AM

No internal drive though, ASUS O!Play - TV HD Media Player which will be at $99 shipped by Amazon is definitely a WD TV media player's killer! It soon gets 4 stars in your list, iboum.
post #98 of 309 Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

No internal drive though, ASUS O!Play - TV HD Media Player which will be at $99 shipped by Amazon is definitely a WD TV media player's killer! It soon gets 4 stars in your list, iboum.

how about hdmi version and dts audio compatibility? I dont see listed on iboum web site yet
post #99 of 309 Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM

Can you add "reframes" support to the chart?
post #100 of 309 Old 09-29-2009, 02:19 PM

consider adding the new realtek player to your list

see more here , mpcclub coming out with review next week.

homepage

review

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/22...npage_engadget

post #101 of 309 Old 09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskino View Post

homepage

review

what currency is that?
post #102 of 309 Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskino View Post

homepage

review

I'll add it today. Also today, expect additions for HDMI version (already stated for most players) and a separate DTS field.

iboum.com
post #103 of 309 Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Not sure if the table is still being updated, but according to the QNAP website the NMP-1000 has a Gigabit LAN port, not a standard fast ethernet port (100 Mb).

Copied from NMP-1000 spec sheet at this link: http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=117
Quote:

LAN Port 1 x Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet port

post #104 of 309 Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post

Can you add "reframes" support to the chart?

agreed
post #105 of 309 Old 10-07-2009, 03:10 AM

Columns for the following have been added to the comprehensive Media Player comparison table at: http://www.iboum.com/artkill/tablesort.php.:
  • File Systems Supported
  • Network Protocols Supported
  • HD Audio (Dolby Digital, Dolby True-HD, Dolb y Digital Plus, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Pulse, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR, DTS ES) Downmix / Pass-through.

This data is still being worked on and may contain errors. If anyone uses the table and either notices a mistake or can help fill in the gaps then please contact me and help improve the table. Either email mail@iboum.com or leave a comment on this blog entry: http://www.iboum.com/blog/index.php/...for-sitetable/

I hope the table proves useful and thanks in advance for any help.

iboum.com
post #106 of 309 Old 10-07-2009, 03:15 AM

re. Reframes, if we could get hold of reliable data for even a small selection of players then I would love to add it. The same goes for some sort of standardized selection of video files that could be used as a measure of performance.

If more people could post results in this thread it might be the start of a meaningful performance comparison: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181902

iboum.com
post #107 of 309 Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

this is AWESOME!

can you add bitstream hd audio to the chart?
post #108 of 309 Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 PM

thought i'd share my 2 cents here; got the zinwell zp500 which i think is exactly the same as the olevia zp500 from ebay for $159.99 free shipping. it's been working great and streams movies from my pc to plasma no problem. for the price, i am very happy with the unit so far.

this is where i found the listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Zinwell-Olevia-Z...item35a3e4c573
post #109 of 309 Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum View Post

re. Reframes, if we could get hold of reliable data for even a small selection of players then I would love to add it. The same goes for some sort of standardized selection of video files that could be used as a measure of performance.

If more people could post results in this thread it might be the start of a meaningful performance comparison: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181902

I agree. The one unit you posted for is exactly what we need.

Maybe you could test other units in the same manner and post a link to your results?

btw ... your information is invaluable. What's in it for you? If anything other than interest ...
post #110 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I agree. The one unit you posted for is exactly what we need.

Maybe you could test other units in the same manner and post a link to your results?

btw ... your information is invaluable. What's in it for you? If anything other than interest ...

I would love to be able to test all the players I feature. Unfortunately, I don't have the $$$ to buy them all and the manufacturers are yet to see the sense in sending me free products.

What's in it for me? 10cents per day from Adsense, the very occasional affiliate sale through Amazon, and not much else!

The site came about purely out of my interest in the developing market. These products and their descendants are going to be ubiquitous in homes very soon.

iboum.com
post #111 of 309 Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 AM

Agreed with you, iboum. WDTV 2 should be rated 4 stars at least. Together with a cheap price ($120 in USA), a lot of good reviews were posted in avs forum.
post #112 of 309 Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM

WDTV Live doesn't bitstream DTS-MA. I have tried it with Onkyo TX-SR607 Receiver and it only shows DTS on DTS-MA movies.

Please correct it, its misleading.

PS.I wished it could bitstream DTS-MA and it will be a perfect media player.
post #113 of 309 Old 10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtze View Post

WDTV Live doesn't bitstream DTS-MA. I have tried it with Onkyo TX-SR607 Receiver and it only shows DTS on DTS-MA movies.

Please correct it, its misleading.

PS.I wished it could bitstream DTS-MA and it will be a perfect media player.

i did it from usb hard drive it did!
post #114 of 309 Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:

i did it from usb hard drive it did!

How do you know it did?

Did you check your receiver? It says DTS-MA?

I know it says DTS-MA on the WDTV-live but its only bitstream DTS-MA but then only get the DTS out of it. Its called core DTS from DTS-MA or something.
post #115 of 309 Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtze View Post

How do you know it did?

Did you check your receiver? It says DTS-MA?

I know it says DTS-MA on the WDTV-live but its only bitstream DTS-MA but then only get the DTS out of it. Its called core DTS from DTS-MA or something.

my receiver, i might take a pic.
post #116 of 309 Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:

my receiver, i might take a pic.

which receiver do u have?

Which movie r you playing? I am surprise you can get DTS-MA out of WDLIVE TV.

Is there any trick to get it?
post #117 of 309 Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 PM

I'm a little torn on what to get and was looking for some assistance. Currently, I am streaming media through my origna XBOX via xbmc. My current setup is:

Linksys 160N router
Access point: D-Link 802.11g
XBOX

The media files are currently located on my computer or NDAS and am running into issues with the stream either dropping off completely or choppy video/audio. In addition, connection issues.

Unfortunately, I cannot wire Cat5 cable to my living room due to where the box is. As a result, I tried buying the SlinkLink Powerline Network equipment yesterday and the network connection I was getting with that was worse than my wireless connection. At least it was less reliable. I had also purchased an Asus O!Play media player in case it was an xbox issue.

I am further researching and I think that I'm going to have to go with a unit that had a HDD right inside it. I don't think that I will run into issues going this way. However, I would rather have it so that I can send the files to it wirelessly. (I guess I could put my DSL modem/router in the living room and then use the access point as a repeater to get the signal to the other parts of the house).

I was thinking of the following units and would like some assistance:

1. Popcorn Hour C-200
2. Mvix 780HD
3. QNAP NMP-1000 ** a little pricy though
4. SISO Markus-800HD

Can people please give me the pros/cons of the above units. I'm not truly concerned with the Hidef ability of it but the Popcorn has a nice feature of the BlueRay player option. That said, I don't really care if I have HD. If it isn't choppy playback I would probably use any upconversion available though.

Please help, I'm overwhelmed.

Favourites? Pros? Cons? Issues for me to consider?

Thanks.

PS - Whatever setup I get, my father would like me to set him up with as well. He is NOT "techy" at all so once I get it setup, I need something reliable for him and EASY to use.

Budget is about $300 to $400 but would like less if I can get something to serve my needs.
post #118 of 309 Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.thornton View Post

I'm a little torn on what to get and was looking for some assistance. Currently, I am streaming media through my origna XBOX via xbmc. My current setup is:

Linksys 160N router
Access point: D-Link 802.11g
XBOX

The media files are currently located on my computer or NDAS and am running into issues with the stream either dropping off completely or choppy video/audio. In addition, connection issues.

Unfortunately, I cannot wire Cat5 cable to my living room due to where the box is. As a result, I tried buying the SlinkLink Powerline Network equipment yesterday and the network connection I was getting with that was worse than my wireless connection. At least it was less reliable. I had also purchased an Asus O!Play media player in case it was an xbox issue.

I am further researching and I think that I'm going to have to go with a unit that had a HDD right inside it. I don't think that I will run into issues going this way. However, I would rather have it so that I can send the files to it wirelessly. (I guess I could put my DSL modem/router in the living room and then use the access point as a repeater to get the signal to the other parts of the house).

I was thinking of the following units and would like some assistance:

1. Popcorn Hour C-200
2. Mvix 780HD
3. QNAP NMP-1000 ** a little pricy though
4. SISO Markus-800HD

Can people please give me the pros/cons of the above units. I'm not truly concerned with the Hidef ability of it but the Popcorn has a nice feature of the BlueRay player option. That said, I don't really care if I have HD. If it isn't choppy playback I would probably use any upconversion available though.

Please help, I'm overwhelmed.

Favourites? Pros? Cons? Issues for me to consider?

Thanks.

PS - Whatever setup I get, my father would like me to set him up with as well. He is NOT "techy" at all so once I get it setup, I need something reliable for him and EASY to use.

Budget is about $300 to $400 but would like less if I can get something to serve my needs.

my advise, buy a ps3 slim, and compliment it with asus or so. you will be a winner in 400 bucks!
post #119 of 309 Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 PM

my advice, check out the WDTV tv Live for your DAD, for your maybe you should ask yourself if you can live without XMBC?
if not then consiner an ASrock 330 Atom Ion machine, I
f you do can live without get another wdtv2 for yourself or if you aboslutly must have a hrddirve, then get a medi8er or acryan player.

seee more a mpcclub.com if you wanna dwell more aorund different palyers and the market. or check out www.industryconvergence.com for a story of media players

post #120 of 309 Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 AM

Zoro: Thank you for the suggestion to get the PSP Slim however I'm trying to get away from gaming consoles. I am looking for a set top box.

Daskino: I'm curious why you are suggesting two (well, 3) different units. One for my Dad and a different one for me? Also, the only reason that I thought a unit that will handle a hard drive is to decrease the chance of issues with streaming. If I can find a cheaper alternative (ie. WD TV Live) that would be great, but I have read issues on this forum (and others) with people that have had poor playback with WD TV Live. Is this not the norm?

Here are me added features that I would like:
1. Reliable playback ** most important
2. I would like the ability to add shortcuts to it. So, I can have a nested folder structer and setup shortcuts where it will point directly to the directory. I don't really want to have to make 10 clicks to get where I want to go. Kind of like XBMC where I can setup Sources and it will take you right to the correct folder.
3. I would like the ability to seek through the video that is being watched. If for example, I want to continue from where I left off (at say 23:43m) then I would like to be able to jump to this point very quickly without having to sit and rewatch everything at 2x, 4x or 8x speed.

I can definitely live without XBMC. I don't use any of the features other than finding the file and pressing play. So, I'm not concerned with losing it. I would like something that is easy for my wife to use and that is why I'm considering the set top box for myself too. Plus it would be nice to not have to use any controllers again.

As for the Med8er, that looks like a very nice unit but they say that they will not ship to Canada. Does anyone have any links to stores that carry it and will ship to Canada?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page