Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 309 Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

The whole reason for getting a player that plays it all is to cut out the time it takes to convert files. Then copying them later. Did I get tired of that. The Ultio has played every file I've ever thrown at it right now. I'm glad I haven't had to convert files lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgeorge View Post

Yeah, I guess I didn't feel that running the conversion on files once every few months when I transferred files to the external HD for viewing was that big of a deal (I did ten years worth in a few clicks, walked away for 3 hours and it was done) but I can see the benefit of not having to do it. I also think I'm more comfy with WD than with MVIX. No rational reason, just another vaporware > known entity fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Ever convert 25GB files? Takes more than 3 hours just to do one. Not sure what bitrate you are at, bit if you did all conversions in 3 hours ummm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgeorge View Post

I used the "2" setting on the easy program listed and I retained 99-100% of the original quality ( I did screen caps in photoshop and could not see a difference even at 400%). Perhaps the low compression rate made it go faster - I only halved the size of the files. There were hundreds of mjpegs - 20gb worth - it was quite painless. Oh, and my setup is pretty fast :-).

You might want to check out the slo-mo and fast-mo too. Lowering the bitrate too much will ruin the smoothness of fast-mo video. You rarely get something for nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 309 Old 11-14-2009, 01:22 AM

Could the list be updated with the Venice V38 Combo and the iTAB-38HD?

Units:
Venice V38 HD (Combo version has a mult-region capable slot-in DVD player)
iTAB-38HD

Hard Drive Bay:
3.5"

Hard Drive Installed:
none on delivery (but would take at least 1 TB

Prices From (U.S.)
about 350

LAN:
100 Mbit/s

WiFi:
optional up to 802.11N (Ralink Chipsets)

BT Client:
no

Chipset;
Sigma Design SMP8634
post #153 of 309 Old 11-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja1 View Post

You might want to check out the slo-mo and fast-mo too. Lowering the bitrate too much will ruin the smoothness of fast-mo video. You rarely get something for nothing.

You must have a smokin' system.

I only have an Intel E7300 2.66 Dual Core with 4GB. It is tuned to run fast, but I do what I can.
post #154 of 309 Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Please update the iboum table. WDTV live doesn't pass-through DTS-MA. Is iboum out of date or what? They haven't change WDTV live infact doesn't pass-through DTS-MA. only the DTS core.
post #155 of 309 Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtze View Post

Please update the iboum table. WDTV live doesn't pass-through DTS-MA. Is iboum out of date or what? They haven't change WDTV live infact doesn't pass-through DTS-MA. only the DTS core.

I hear you. Out of date is perhaps an overstatement, but the table will get updated within the next 24hours.
post #156 of 309 Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 AM

Sorry about my rush word and Thanks for updating the data. I tried to get your attention a month ago about this but u didn't get it. I just don't want other people to buy something and figured out the function is not as listed.
post #157 of 309 Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 PM

EGreat EG-R1 really pass-through DTS-MA to let decoder to decode it?

Its in iboum chart.
post #158 of 309 Old 11-18-2009, 03:28 AM

I've had another look and it doesn't appear to do passthrough, only downmix.

The table is being carefully picked over again today to make sure it's as free of errors as possible. The problem I face is no co-operation from manufacturers so the detailed data has to be mostly ascertained from web sources.

The table is now up to 49 players.

http://www.iboum.com/artkill/tablesort.php

Any more errors anyone finds please notify me, either on this thread, by PM, or using mail@iboum.com.
post #159 of 309 Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 AM

@iboum,
I saw your table had not included brite-View 6000P which is similar to 5005 without the network capability. The Asus O!Play model is HDP-R1 not R3.
post #160 of 309 Old 11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum View Post

I've had another look and it doesn't appear to do passthrough, only downmix.

The table is being carefully picked over again today to make sure it's as free of errors as possible. The problem I face is no co-operation from manufacturers so the detailed data has to be mostly ascertained from web sources.

The table is now up to 49 players.

Any more errors anyone finds please notify me, either on this thread, by PM, or using mail@iboum.com.

Hi Thanks for update. Would you mind adding a feature to compare 2-3 players from this chart, as it is too lengthy to follow through. I am debating between WDTV LIVE and XTREAMER at this point. Extreamer seems expensive though.
post #161 of 309 Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Hi Thanks for update. Would you mind adding a feature to compare 2-3 players from this chart, as it is too lengthy to follow through. I am debating between WDTV LIVE and XTREAMER at this point. Extreamer seems expensive though.

I would love to add a comparison feature and also better sorting / filtering. The problem is that implementing something like that is beyond my capabilities in MySQL / PHP. I'm looking at my options.

The Xtreamer and WDTV Live are IMHO the two best players around at the moment. Both are starting to get the 3rd party software development that will soon give a similar depth and quality of software to the old Sigma 8635 players.
post #162 of 309 Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ontario View Post

@iboum,
I saw your table had not included brite-View 6000P which is similar to 5005 without the network capability. The Asus O!Play model is HDP-R1 not R3.

The 6000P is not included because it is not 1080p capable. This was initially a qualifying criteria for the site, although there have been a couple of exceptions. I will add the 6000P to a secondary list of players that I am working on.

The Asus HDP-R3 is the new Asus model with wireless networking. The thread for it is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1194263
post #163 of 309 Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I would love to add a comparison feature and also better sorting / filtering. The problem is that implementing something like that is beyond my capabilities in MySQL / PHP. I'm looking at my options.

The Xtreamer and WDTV Live are IMHO the two best players around at the moment. Both are starting to get the 3rd party software development that will soon give a similar depth and quality of software to the old Sigma 8635 players.

I liked wdtv live but problem with my window 7, and also not leting dts hd master go through was my soar thumb to return, it did do true hd by downconvert to ac3 at low bit rate, if changes to pcm, keeping bit rate like ps3 use to do, i am kosher with that.
post #164 of 309 Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Can you add this media player to the chart. I like this player. Prodigi-PD-100N. They have good customer service too
post #165 of 309 Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 AM

Can the Patriot Box Office be added to the chart?
post #166 of 309 Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 AM

The Patriot Box Office was added weeks ago.

Big update today. It's been an incredible second half of 2009. Total players on site is up to 63 and total in table is at 59, with 39 of these having been launched since June 1st. Bring on 2010..

post #167 of 309 Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:

The Patriot Box Office was added weeks ago.

Big update today. It's been an incredible second half of 2009. Total players on site is up to 63 and total in table is at 59, with 39 of these having been launched since June 1st. Bring on 2010..

Thanks, I was referring to the chart on Page 1.
Now I've got to do some digging, see if the Sigma chipset better than Realtek.
post #168 of 309 Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 AM

Good information, really helping my research, i am on the hunt for a new media player.
post #169 of 309 Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
iboum,

The table is wrong in regards to the TViX M6600N. It plays Blu-Ray ISO no menu.
post #170 of 309 Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

iboum,

The table is wrong in regards to the TViX M6600N. It plays Blu-Ray ISO no menu.

Is that with the current public firmware?

On the DViCO site the latest firmware is 1.8.7 (http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/download/d...=RD&pSerial=39) which I believe came before BD-ISO capabilities were rolled out by Realtek.

We only list official firmware features in the table or else it would get too messy. DViCO should make one of the several betas they've released an official release..
post #171 of 309 Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Nice chart. But I think one column heading is missing. For me, the "network" heading is followed by "video outputs" but I think "wireless" should be in between them.

Also, how much information do you want about the various features? For subtitles, you have the ASUS O!Play listed as "SRT, SUB, SMI, SSA" and the WDTV Live as "SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI" but the WDTV Live doesn't support external subtitle files for AVCHD ISOs or embedded BluRay (PGS) subtitles while the ASUS O!Play has support for both.
post #172 of 309 Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM

does anyone know which current or to-be-released media servers will stream/play ISO files?
post #173 of 309 Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwansumadis View Post

does anyone know which current or to-be-released media servers will stream/play ISO files?

Xtreamer plays DVD ISO files, with menus. It will play Blu-ray ISO files but no menu support yet.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #174 of 309 Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Xtreamer plays DVD ISO files, with menus. It will play Blu-ray ISO files but no menu support yet.

sorry, should have specified. mainly BR ISO files
post #175 of 309 Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 AM

Many of the recent players will play BD-ISO files without menus by simply pulling the largest video file out of this ISO. However this won't work for every ISO. My table has a sortable column for BD-ISO support which will list the ones that do this.

If you want full support then the Dune 3.0 and the Popcorn Hour C200 are the only players that will play BD-ISO's with menu as if you were using a Blu-Ray player.
post #176 of 309 Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Please send me to the right thread if this is not appropriate here.

I am looking for a player to stream to that I can control via a web interface. This way I can control what is playing from multiple locations in the house. It should have a GUI to control it with a remote too.

I need it to handle flac. I have a DLNA NAS to stream from. The player can be wired or wireless. Some type of digital audio output is required.

Thanks
post #177 of 309 Old 01-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post

Please send me to the right thread if this is not appropriate here.

I am looking for a player to stream to that I can control via a web interface. This way I can control what is playing from multiple locations in the house. It should have a GUI to control it with a remote too.

I need it to handle flac. I have a DLNA NAS to stream from. The player can be wired or wireless. Some type of digital audio output is required.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. I have a NAS with FLAC audio and ISOs of my DVDs, and want an interface that is better than just a file explorer. e.g. GUI interface with database that allows searching by titles, artists, or other ID tag info... Not sure what PCH has since there are no good examples or videos that I could quickly find of the GUI interfaces using data stored on a NAS... Anyone that can point us in the right place to look, it would be appreciated...
post #178 of 309 Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Hi ,

Which is a better player

1. ASUS IOPLAY
2. Brite view HD5005
3.Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25

In terms of build quality. My main purpose is that it should play all the video formats and it should support Dolby digital and DTS 5.1. I have panasonic LCD tv.If i connect my external drive the video should play flawlessly in my TV.I am not aware of any type HDMI(like HDMI 1.3A which is not supported in brite view) which my tv supports.

Video formats should be : .MKV 1080p and 720p,.mp4,.avi

My purpose is that. after downloading the movies from net. i will transfer them to my external hard drive(USB) 1 tb . Then will connect them to any of these players mentioned above. My priority is not with network and all..

thanks

Thanks for ur suggestion
post #179 of 309 Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 PM

[quote=iboum;17914137]My table has a sortable column for BD-ISO support which will list the ones that do this.
QUOTE]

I don't see a sortable column for this. I see where it says "sort" and "filter" but neither of those have ISO as a choice.

Update: nevermind, i see you have to pick comparison table first. thanks
post #180 of 309 Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8 View Post

I'm in the same boat. I have a NAS with FLAC audio and ISOs of my DVDs, and want an interface that is better than just a file explorer. e.g. GUI interface with database that allows searching by titles, artists, or other ID tag info... Not sure what PCH has since there are no good examples or videos that I could quickly find of the GUI interfaces using data stored on a NAS... Anyone that can point us in the right place to look, it would be appreciated...

Has anyone considered the Dennon I-pod adapters for their A/V receivers. Supposedly they give access to any media on your home network? The new D-Link Boxee unit looks promising, but I have no idea when that will be available.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page