Best Wireless Streaming Capabilities? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks,

Out of pure laziness (I am tired of connecting my laptop to the stereo and TV every time I want large picture & good sound) I would like to buy a content streamer with excellent wireless streaming capability and need your help with the device decision.

The wireless connection between laptop, router and device (they would be in the same room) is most important to me as I would like to be able to stream any movie size in smooth, good quality. However, my gutt tells me that USB WiFi adapters, don't do a good job. And perhaps even the built-in WiFi cards have their limits?

Do you agree? And which streamer would you recommend?

Tons of thanks in advance for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The fact that all devices are in the same room will ensure maximum speed. I have found that some of the built in Wi-Fi adapters on laptops have reception problems (presumably because of a less than optimal antenna), but if you are getting 54 Mbp/s on a g network, then that's as good as it gets.

A few thoughts:
  • WiFi G is fine for all audio and SD video, but not all HD video. Consider a WiFi N network. N routers typically have a gigbit switch, which is more than enough.
  • Since the router is in the room, consider locating the router near the streamer and connecting the streamer into a wired port on the router.
  • Consider using powerline networking. The fastest units support HD video and are reliable in most installations (powerline has interference problems in some premises)

How much bandwidth you need depends on what you plan to stream. I'm not sure how much bandwidth BluRay and 7.1 channel sound needs -- perhaps someone else will chime in.

Lots of choices for streamers -- read the forums.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page