Could this be the next WDTV? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 133 Old 08-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Newbie
 
IrishBrewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Only 1080i, no support for h.264, mkvs, etc... pretty weak compared to the current crop of players on the market.

A couple of features that lead me to consider the Argosy HV359T are its networking and recording capabilities. Do you know of other players that have this plus 1080p output?
IrishBrewer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 133 Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post

A couple of features that lead me to consider the Argosy HV359T are its networking and recording capabilities. Do you know of other players that have this plus 1080p output?

Not many have the recording capabilities. I think the AC Ryan has, but it is only 1080i as well (http://www.acryan.com/index.php?opti...d=42&Itemid=98)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #33 of 133 Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,844
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I would assume the WD TV-2 will have a HDMI ver. 1.3 output and will support bitstream output, but not internal decoding, of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-Master Audio. This lack of bitstreaming support for the lossless audio formats is, in my opinion, a major limitation of the current WD TV as compared to many of the other media servers.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is online now  
post #34 of 133 Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
 
joshjoshlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ScottWD or GuyWD swooping in here and marveling us with the hidden hardware specs of this thing would probably create quite a pre-order frenzy if played right... JUST SAYING, IS ALL. WINK, WINK. NUDGE, NUDGE.

i'm not too well informed on the chip market, but is there something that has come out in between now and the original WDTV's launch that would mark a significant leap in terms of processing power? if it's a token upgrade that mainly appeases the network fools and doesn't really bring anything of substance to the table in terms of power upgrade, i think that i'll pass.
joshjoshlol is offline  
post #35 of 133 Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Member
 
a big jerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, let me play devil's advocate here...

The WDTV already does a lot and more. While there are still some bugs, it was a good budget device. Yea, subtitles are screwy, and you have to wait 15 minutes for it to rescan your library if you disconnect, but it did the job.

If this thing is clearly brilliant, will scan my library within a minute, offer me more codecs and support (downloaded firmware? hooking it up to a wifi hub?), then I will probably just have to dump what I have and go for that. Unfortunately, I will not be an early adopter. I will just have to wait for the reviews and this forum to test it out. It will have to fix all the previous version's bugs, and offer a lot more support in the future for me to even consider it.

(Scott and Guy, if you're reading, remote codes...)
a big jerk is offline  
post #36 of 133 Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
joshjoshlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm agreeing with the early adopter comment. ultimately i wasn't disappointed when i got my WDTV without knowing full well what the ceiling limits were on things, but now after spending time on this forum i'd like to believe that i've taken in more discerning requirements for a media player; there's a ton of these media player things coming out every week and this forum does a good job of showing me what is and isn't a good buy. i'll likely wait for the reviews on here to trickle in before picking one up from Best Buy.
joshjoshlol is offline  
post #37 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Afrsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why wait for this??

Asus O!Play is selling now in Europe... its costs 89 - 95€!! It has Lan, E-Sata, Dts Downmix, and it can play 720p up to 16 reframes and 1080p up to 8 reframes! Its faster, more powerfull and cheaper than WD TV!

Since WD is very very slow in firmware updates, I dont understand all the fuzz around a new WD player that probably will be again poorly sopported and will probably be more expensive than the competition...
Afrsa is offline  
post #38 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

Why wait for this??

Asus O!Play is selling now in Europe... its costs 89 - 95!! It has Lan, E-Sata, Dts Downmix, and it can play 720p up to 16 reframes and 1080p up to 8 reframes! Its faster, more powerfull and cheaper than WD TV!

Since WD is very very slow in firmware updates, I dont understand all the fuzz around a new WD player that probably will be again poorly sopported and will probably be more expensive than the competition...

for US it is $169 plus $20 shipping! with no hard drive, making it almost twice of WDHD
zoro is offline  
post #39 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Afrsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shiping costs?? This thing is sold localy... in computer shop and regular shops here! Like WD TV!

I know that WD TV is cheap in the US (it has been said over and over!!) And if is more expensive in US, dont worry you will get much more than WD TV! But I was not speaking about US costumers!

In Europe we got luky... i have more for less money! Nice!!!
Afrsa is offline  
post #40 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

Shiping costs?? This thing is sold localy... in computer shop and regular shops here! Like WD TV!

I know that WD TV is cheap in the US (it has been said over and over!!) And if is more expensive in US, dont worry you will get much more than WD TV! But I was not speaking about US costumers!

In Europe we got luky... i have more for less money! Nice!!!

yes! well, they might have tough to beet $250 new ps3 with bigger hard drive or swappable!
zoro is offline  
post #41 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
mytbyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

Why wait for this??

Asus O!Play is selling now in Europe... its costs 89 - 95€!! It has Lan, E-Sata, Dts Downmix, and it can play 720p up to 16 reframes and 1080p up to 8 reframes! Its faster, more powerfull and cheaper than WD TV!
.

You are so persistent! How long have you had the Asus and with how many file variations have you tried on it to claim it does all it say with NO PROBLEMS? You lurk around here offsetting attention to anything other than WD TV as though you had each and every unit in your possession for extended periods (at least as long as you had the WDTV) to put them through the pace as thoroughly as you have tortured the poor WD TV...but I'm sure you didn't and you are dealing advice based purely on specs...you are starting to sound like a tripple agent working for Asus, Xtreamer and Ryan or whatever...

If anyone else feels like having to say for the umpteenth time on any new WD thread that WD suck with their firmware support, please don't...it's just a waste of precious bandwidth...
mytbyte is offline  
post #42 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Afrsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm... then your post is also waste of bandwidth...

I'm just giving my opinion... if it hurts you, then may be you who work for WD! And I never said that Asus doenst have any problem! Certain is that WD TV CANNOT play 1080p with 8 reframes!

You want to know more of the player? Go to engadget (spanish version)... and portuguese user are starting to give feedback! Movies that were not playing in WD TV, plays in Asus... its a fact... just give a little more time and you will see feedback from people... you see, Asus is the less expensive player here... and it has DTS Downmix... you know what will happen!

It upsets me that WD is "leaking" photos of the new player... because if they were not supporting well WD TV the first time, with WD TV 2 i suspect the support of WD TV will be zero! And everyone is really happy with the photos... wow!!!! And the 1080p 24Hz? And the audio out of sync? And etc etc??

US costumers may be well satified with WD TV, but the rest of the world that need subs is screwed! And presenting me a probably soluction (WD TV 2) of the issues of WD TV, its a total ripoff!

Its not that hard to be more powerfull in playback than WD TV... WD TV has several issues for people that need subtitles... Every player in the market capable of play 1080p MKV, can read more reframes than WD TV!

US costumers can keep their WD TV... for Europe WD TV is getting expensive comparing to the competition!!!

Now I am going to colect my money from ASUS, AC Ryan and Xtreamer! What a joke!
Afrsa is offline  
post #43 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Member
 
sinusss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

US costumers may be well satified with WD TV, but the rest of the world that need subs is screwed! And presenting me a probably soluction (WD TV 2) of the issues of WD TV, its a total ripoff!

Its not that hard to be more powerfull in playback than WD TV... WD TV has several issues for people that need subtitles... Every player in the market capable of play 1080p MKV, can read more reframes than WD TV!

US costumers can keep their WD TV... for Europe WD TV is getting expensive comparing to the competition!!!

Now I am going to colect my money from ASUS, AC Ryan and Xtreamer! What a joke!

I think you should calm down, you say that WDTV is ok for US market and you say that other players are better for you, so why even bother to discuss here? As you said, somebody is very happy with WDTV, for example me, foremost I use player for my m2t's, DVD's rips, some DivX, some mkv's but not 1080p's with "way to the roof reference frames" . It is the cheapest device, that you can get at Best Buy (I got it for $99 in February), stores are everywhere.
sinusss is offline  
post #44 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Heli Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_fusion View Post

You guys aren't making me feel very good about my soon to arrive from Amzn old model of the WDTV...crap...I'm always late to the party...I just wanted a device to play some hi def stuff besides the HD channels over my new Panny 50G10 Plasma...

This sucker better play some hi-def MKV's and make my mp3's sound good over my AVP with easy to play functionality or I'm gonna be PO'd too and this suckers going back!

Don't let the whiners that bought the cheapest player out and then cried because it didn't have features they knew it didn't have, scare you away, it's a perfectly capable device if you know what it can do, and accept that that's all it does.
Heli Pilot is offline  
post #45 of 133 Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Heli Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinusss View Post

I think you should calm down, you say that WDTV is ok for US market and you say that other players are better for you, so why even bother to discuss here? As you said, somebody is very happy with WDTV, for example me, foremost I use player for my m2t's, DVD's rips, some DivX, some mkv's but not 1080p's with "way to the roof reference frames" . It is the cheapest device, that you can get at Best Buy (I got it for $99 in February), stores are everywhere.


Just ignore the shills, some of them are pretty disturbed in their anti WD obssession.
Heli Pilot is offline  
post #46 of 133 Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Member
 
kennypb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Specification:
WD TV (TM)
Live Media Player
Features
-Play Full HD 1080p video, music and photos on your HD TV
-Supports widest variety of file formats and devices
-Network capable for easy access to the newest content from PCs, network drives, internet favorites
Kit Contents
-Media Player
-Compact remote with batteries
-Composite AV cable
-Component AV cable
-AC adapter
-Quick Install Guide

Compatibility
HDMI, Full HD (1080p), AAC, MP3, JPEG, USB 2.0, H.264, SimplayHD™, Energy Star®, Dolby Digital, DTS, DLNA, Bonjour, AVCHD, Windows Vista

Media Formats
AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1),
TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1) MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9
JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG
MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist – PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitle – SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution. MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to
1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation. WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60
or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution. H.264 MP@4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24,
1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output. Compressed RGB JPEG formats only
and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
Single layer TIFF files only. Uncompressed BMP only. Specific details, please refer to the user manual
kennypb is offline  
post #47 of 133 Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
mytbyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypb View Post

Specification:
WD TV (TM)

An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output.

Errr, no DTS downmix then?
mytbyte is offline  
post #48 of 133 Old 08-06-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
candre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

Errr, no DTS downmix then?

Not necessarily. Even if it had downmix, you'd still need a receiver for multichannel digital audio. All they're really saying here is that it won't magically turn your stereo TV into a 7.1 surround system.
candre23 is offline  
post #49 of 133 Old 08-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Afrsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot View Post

Don't let the whiners that bought the cheapest player out and then cried because it didn't have features they knew it didn't have, scare you away, it's a perfectly capable device if you know what it can do, and accept that that's all it does.

Did the popcorn 110, EGreat and HDX had DTS Downmix at the beggining? No! Thay add it to please their costumers... Did Xtreamer had BD ISO support (with menus) in the beggining? No! They will add it in 2 weeks... why? because they want to please their costumers!

Anyone that thinks that a player after launch is a finished product in matter of bugs and features, is a very very poor demanding costumer... probably the segment of costumer that WD wanted to achieve!

I like my WD TV, but is a entry entry entry player.... with a poor support from WD!!!

So... anyone that is looking for a player that will be supported in terms of bugs and new features, do yourself a favour and stay away of WD media players! On the safe side, stay with companies that work mostly in the media player segment... not a hard disk manufactor or motherboards developers!
Afrsa is offline  
post #50 of 133 Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Heli Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

Did the popcorn 110, EGreat and HDX had DTS Downmix at the beggining? No! Thay add it to please their costumers... Did Xtreamer had BD ISO support (with menus) in the beggining? No! They will add it in 2 weeks... why? because they want to please their costumers!

So what? It's a simple fact of life that if you want a feature in a product, than you have to buy a product that has that feature, if not than you are the only one to blame for your disappointment.
Heli Pilot is offline  
post #51 of 133 Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Afrsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot View Post

So what? It's a simple fact of life that if you want a feature in a product, than you have to buy a product that has that feature, if not than you are the only one to blame for your disappointment.

What!? LOL!

I can only expect that the companie that sells a product I buy tries at least develop it a little, since all the competition does that! If not, then they had to launch a non firmware upgreadable product!

You guys are hilarious!
Afrsa is offline  
post #52 of 133 Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Heli Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

What!? LOL!

I can only expect that the companie that sells a product I buy tries at least develop it a little, since all the competition does that! If not, then they had to launch a non firmware upgreadable product!

You guys are hilarious!

No, what's hilarious is you thinking a company owes it to you to provide features above what you paid for. You kne what you were buying, if it wasn't what you wanted than it is YOUR fault you bought it, no one owes you anything.
Heli Pilot is offline  
post #53 of 133 Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
mytbyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Not necessarily. Even if it had downmix, you'd still need a receiver for multichannel digital audio. All they're really saying here is that it won't magically turn your stereo TV into a 7.1 surround system.

OK, got it, though it can be interpreted in many, many ways...
mytbyte is offline  
post #54 of 133 Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
 
joshjoshlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypb View Post

Specification:
WD TV (TM)
Live Media Player
Features
-Play Full HD 1080p video, music and photos on your HD TV
-Supports widest variety of file formats and devices
-Network capable for easy access to the newest content from PCs, network drives, internet favorites
Kit Contents
-Media Player
-Compact remote with batteries
-Composite AV cable
-Component AV cable
-AC adapter
-Quick Install Guide

Compatibility
HDMI, Full HD (1080p), AAC, MP3, JPEG, USB 2.0, H.264, SimplayHD, Energy Star®, Dolby Digital, DTS, DLNA, Bonjour, AVCHD, Windows Vista

Media Formats
AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1),
TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1) MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9
JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG
MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution. MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to
1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation. WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60
or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution. H.264 MP@4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24,
1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output. Compressed RGB JPEG formats only
and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
Single layer TIFF files only. Uncompressed BMP only. Specific details, please refer to the user manual

may i ask, where did you get this information from?
joshjoshlol is offline  
post #55 of 133 Old 08-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Newbie
 
tatami007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are dozens of other players, I have an egreat EG-M34A ( DTS Downmix, subtitles, Mkv, 1080P, network,etc.... ) and one Egreat EG-M32B and I am fully happy with it , I was looking to buy a WDTV just to try it on the other room and see what's better on it but after reading this post, I do not see any reason to buy it or maybe wait for the version 2 which hopefully won't be more expensive and will have a better firmware update support form WD.What is attractive on the WDTV is the UI.

Check my personal blog about media players.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tatami007 is offline  
post #56 of 133 Old 08-07-2009, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Afrsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot View Post

No, what's hilarious is you thinking a company owes it to you to provide features above what you paid for. You kne what you were buying, if it wasn't what you wanted than it is YOUR fault you bought it, no one owes you anything.

Go read the inicial post to the WD TV threads! Go read the Scott WD posts... he said that WD had great ideas for this product and will activitly support it! BS! Was only marketing mambo jambo!! Everyone was wainting for WD to develop this player because is that what all the other companies do!

But I already dont want new features... i just want the bugs in WD TV solved! But even that they are not capable of doing!!! People that need subtitles are screwed with this device!

And if i want new features, I will buy a new player with a decent support!


So European costumers:

WD TV: 99 - 109 Nice UI, NO DTS Downmix, no LAN, Problems with 1080p with subs, Audio out of sync in movies using subs.

ASUS O!Play: 95 - Nice and fast UI, DTS Downmix, LAN, Capable of reading 1080p 9 reframes with subs on.

Egreat M34A: 139 - Ugly and slow UI, DTS Downmix, LAN, Capable of reading 1080p 9 reframes with subs on, free HDMI cable.

Xtreamer: 119 - Nice and fast UI, DTS Downmix, LAN, Capable of reading 1080p 9 reframes with subs on, free wireless dongle, possiblility of hadding a 2.5 hard disk inside the player, some noise problems in some devices because of fan!

AC Ryan PlayON!HD - 159 - Nice and fast UI, DTS Downmix (will be added soon), LAN, Capable of reading 1080p 9 reframes with subs on, possiblility of hadding a 3.5 hard disk inside the player, free HDMI cable.

So just do your choice! As you see I dont work for any companie and I dont sell HD players... I own a WD TV but I am not a fanboy!
Afrsa is offline  
post #57 of 133 Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
720p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After testing WD TV, PCH A-110 (same as Egreat M34A) & Xtreamer I have to say I agree with Afrsa with what he said above.
720p is offline  
post #58 of 133 Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshlol View Post

may i ask, where did you get this information from?

Beta tester that's violating their NDA?

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kjack is offline  
post #59 of 133 Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Heli Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

Go read the inicial post to the WD TV threads! Go read the Scott WD posts... he said that WD had great ideas for this product and will activitly support it! BS! Was only marketing mambo jambo!! Everyone was wainting for WD to develop this player because is that what all the other companies do!


Ahh I see what happened now, you got confused. Let me help you, ScottWD posting on an internet message board is not marketing. Marketing is the hundreds of ads in magazines, on websites like Bestbuy,, Newegg, Tiger Direct, newspaper ads, etc...in none of those is there a "coming features that aren't included" list. What they do have is a list of some of the features is does include, which is all you are entitled to get. This website only has a very small faction of their consumer base, if it accounted for 1% I'd be surprised.
Heli Pilot is offline  
post #60 of 133 Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Afrsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot View Post

Ahh I see what happened now, you got confused. Let me help you, ScottWD posting on an internet message board is not marketing. Marketing is the hundreds of ads in magazines, on websites like Bestbuy,, Newegg, Tiger Direct, newspaper ads, etc...in none of those is there a "coming features that aren't included" list. What they do have is a list of some of the features is does include, which is all you are entitled to get. This website only has a very small faction of their consumer base, if it accounted for 1% I'd be surprised.

Marketing is also coming to foruns and defend a product with is life! You should ask WD some cash if you arent already their employee...

ScottWD works on the marketing staff of WD... and when he goes to foruns to talk about a product that his companie is selling, you can call it marketing. Foruns nowadays have a lot of strenght in terms of "spreading the word"! So take your 1% and do your math again!

But i was not speaking about marketing and stuff... dont try to change the subject! What I was saying was:

If someone want a player that will be supported in terms of bugs and new features, do yourself a favour and stay away of WD media players! On the safe side, stay with companies that work mostly in the media player segment... not a hard disk manufactor or motherboards developers!
Afrsa is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off