Could this be the next WDTV? - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

So European costumers:

WD TV: 99 - 109 Nice UI, NO DTS Downmix, no LAN, Problems with 1080p with subs, Audio out of sync in movies using subs.

ASUS O!Play: 95 - Nice and fast UI, DTS Downmix, LAN, Capable of reading 1080p 9 reframes with subs on.

Egreat M34A: 139 - Ugly and slow UI, DTS Downmix, LAN, Capable of reading 1080p 9 reframes with subs on, free HDMI cable.

Xtreamer: 119 - Nice and fast UI, DTS Downmix, LAN, Capable of reading 1080p 9 reframes with subs on, free wireless dongle, possiblility of hadding a 2.5 hard disk inside the player, some noise problems in some devices because of fan!

AC Ryan PlayON!HD - 159 - Nice and fast UI, DTS Downmix (will be added soon), LAN, Capable of reading 1080p 9 reframes with subs on, possiblility of hadding a 3.5 hard disk inside the player, free HDMI cable.

So what, they all came after WD...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
WD TV 2 will come after all those ones... and for sure will be more expensive and again, badly supported!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Did the popcorn 110, EGreat and HDX had DTS Downmix at the beggining? No! Thay add it to please their costumers... Did Xtreamer had BD ISO support (with menus) in the beggining? No! They will add it in 2 weeks... why? because they want to please their costumers!

Show me where WDTV promised DTS downmix? Can't? Then don't complain about it as if you were.

You're no WD fanboy but stating "Xtreamer will get blah blah in two weeks" makes you a WD hateboy. What if they don't, are you then going to use font 10 in their threads? I don't see you pointing out any shortcomings of any of the other devices (overheating etc) since you're just hung up on the WDTV. Don't go thread bashing at every chance you get, it negates the point you try to make which may or may not be valid.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisha View Post

Show me where WDTV promised DTS downmix? Can't? Then don't complain about it as if you were.

You're no WD fanboy but stating "Xtreamer will get blah blah in two weeks" makes you a WD hateboy. What if they don't, are you then going to use font 10 in their threads? I don't see you pointing out any shortcomings of any of the other devices (overheating etc) since you're just hung up on the WDTV. Don't go thread bashing at every chance you get, it negates the point you try to make which may or may not be valid.

Go to User Voice thingy... DTS Downmix stated as "Planned"! Does it mean "planned for life"? what a joke!

I dont want features!!! I want bugs fixed! Just that! In size 5!

Which player has heat issues?? Xtreamer? Already said that it has issues with fan... read the post!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrsa View Post

marketing is also coming to foruns and defend a product with is life! You should ask wd some cash if you arent already their employee... :d

scottwd works on the marketing staff of wd... And when he goes to foruns to talk about a product that his companie is selling, you can call it marketing. Foruns nowadays have a lot of strenght in terms of "spreading the word"! So take your 1% and do your math again!

but i was not speaking about marketing and stuff... Dont try to change the subject! What i was saying was:

if someone want a player that will be supported in terms of bugs and new features, do yourself a favour and stay away of wd media players! On the safe side, stay with companies that work mostly in the media player segment... Not a hard disk manufactor or motherboards developers!

your rude comments, and constant bashing, as well as using caps, bold and large letters do not make anyone care any more about your constant whining.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:18 PM

Liked: 13
Reports in the Xtreamer forums show that there's at least some problems with subtitles in that device as well.

With that in mind, I just seriously want to know where the pics in the first post were found.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Heli Pilot... chill out dude! I am just talking about the crappy support from WD... not about your wife or mother!

drm870... the subtitle problem (mkv external subs) is now fixed! At least they are fast!

The pics? Probably WD maketing again...
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 AM

I'm using subs, mostly dutch but also chinese subs, and i have absolutely no problems at all, i do know for chinese subs it's all about encoding the files in the right iso format, utf or standard ascii is asking for problems... It's like saying to the player this is a file with only characters used in usa, but in mean time you want it to show eastern characters...

Only problem i have with the subs, that sometimes the subs have html tags for bold & italic, but it won't parse those tags, it will just show the or around the text that was supposed to format.
Don't care about that much either, custom font settings in middle of a sentence is gay anyways.

At the beginning i do agree there was a slight issue with the timing, but that has been fixed.

I knew what i bought, and i'm happy with it, back then it was one of the very few players with those features and that price (!), so they missed a few things the first time (no dts downmix etc.), they are correcting it in their next player, now there's already a prototype in +/- a year...
So you can deduct from this that after last big firmware update, they are now prioritizing on their new player, who can blame them on this? And this new player enables them to correct so many more. As you might know that the last firmwares are using almost all the space in the firmware rom of the first player...
And it gives them new ROI, because with that price, there's only "that" amount of man hour they can spend on this wdtv project. With a new player, it might boost the income for this project again.

So i do think you are exaggerating too much. Their support has been quite good, especially for this price. I know i bought it just before the huge demand for it, and it had a lower price (75$) and right after that, there were stock issues and it went up to 90 or 100$.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Finally;

I don't need glasses anymore

Indeed. But Heli's point was correct, IMO.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 PM

oh boy, most of you have not even the faintest idea of (online) marketing. every outing, whether its in a magazine or on a forum, its all marketing. if a company goes out there (here) and "joins" the community, then yes, a company should invest in spending time on here, really listening to our praises, complaints and questions and at least answers them (honestly). That is the way more and more consumers expect companies to communicate with them. If a company only jumps and and then keeps silent, well....it doesnt exactly make them trustworthy.

whether you have no issues at all, minor issues or huge issues....it doesnt matter. we all are entitled to share our experiences, based on facts and personal opinions. lots of times people state their opinion as facts and vice versa. to be honest am i one those people too, im human after all

either way, we cant deny the fact that many people do have problems and that WD is silent for a lon time now. they are not active on the forums, not even on their own uservoice site. after a few first comments (most of them stating "it cant be done") it became very silent. all of us are still posting ideas and comments and votes up until this day even. where's WD ? no word whatsoever. no development progress (to those actually believing they are too busy working for us and therefore can not come here and talk to us: hahahahha, you seriously believe that?-sorry .

the only things coming from WD is announcements of upcoming products...they do have time for that ofcourse. but taking 10secs to post us a short update on anything, anything at all, nope sorry. Thats why me and many others feel faked and not taken seriously. WD has brought all this whining over themselves by letting this escalate by doing nothing. if a company is silent and no FWs are coming out...trust me: it is as it seems: they are doing nothing for current userbase. they are busy partying and raving about their new exciting WD2 product, which has many of OUR ideas put into it. sure they listened to us, for our new ideas to sell even more devices....but they dont listen to us when we have complaints or even when we ask for a clear answer on many issues at hand. they even state false and vague information on their own uservoice site, keeping most users in the dark of whats (not) to come.

maybe im wrong and WD will come and surprise us all. but the the current state of affairs doesnt make me hopeful. and some of us feel to express that in huge bold letters. i will try not to do the same.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Liked: 16
GuyWD has been posting as recently as July 21st on WDTVForum.com . I do agree, however, that their recent progress had been troublingly slow.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

GuyWD has been posting as recently as July 21st on WDTVForum.com . I do agree, however, that their recent progress had been troublingly slow.

ok, well thats kinda good i guess....although it depends on what the nature was of the message (i bet on product announcements) and...in the end what really counts is new FWs that actually fix things. WD can post 100 posts a day, but thats worthless if their developments comes to halt.

we'll just wait until after summer...maybe WD picks up where they left (and hopefully speed up the releases as well).
Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So I'm very new to the subject... I bought a WDTV and I've had to learn the hard way that my Sony .avi files won't play straight from the camera. I've been able to turn a couple of files into other formats with a software so the WD TV will play some movies but since I dont have the codec on my PC I cant watch the home videos on my PC anymore....

It seems like a lot of work to change every file. I only have a couple of days to be able to return my WD TV, should I? I'd rather not have $100 there just for .jpegs and mp3 use.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM

if you have no other reason to keep it, return it. for future reference, you should always research a product and its full capabilities before you buy it. i've learned that lesson the hard way on more than one occasion.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Heli Pilot... chill out dude! I am just talking about the crappy support from WD... not about your wife or mother!

drm870... the subtitle problem (mkv external subs) is now fixed! At least they are fast!

The pics? Probably WD maketing again...

Why should he chill out? You've derailed this thread 10 different ways, and probably broken a few rules in the process. This thread is about the new WD player, not the old WD player.

And before you tell me to leave the thread, i came hear to dig up some news on the new WD player, and here we have you mucking up the entire thread complaining about the original WD player.

I hate feeding trolls but lucky for you the mods around here aren't the micro-managing type because we would all have one less headache.

Have a good day sir, hopefully the blue sky and birds overhead won't be another reason for you to complain
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:

Why wait for this??

Asus O!Play is selling now in Europe... its costs 89 - 95!! It has Lan, E-Sata, Dts Downmix, and it can play 720p up to 16 reframes and 1080p up to 8 reframes! Its faster, more powerfull and cheaper than WD TV!

Since WD is very very slow in firmware updates, I dont understand all the fuzz around a new WD player that probably will be again poorly sopported and will probably be more expensive than the competition...

But the Asus does not have support for NFS network sharing, very important for streaming hi-def movies
Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman2k10 View Post

ok, well thats kinda good i guess....although it depends on what the nature was of the message (i bet on product announcements) and...in the end what really counts is new FWs that actually fix things. WD can post 100 posts a day, but thats worthless if their developments comes to halt.

Actually, it was specifically about the color decoding bug, and he posted 3 times about it (for clarifications and examples). If they're not working on the WDTV anymore, they sure sound like they're working on something.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

Why should he chill out? You've derailed this thread 10 different ways, and probably broken a few rules in the process. This thread is about the new WD player, not the old WD player.

And before you tell me to leave the thread, i came hear to dig up some news on the new WD player, and here we have you mucking up the entire thread complaining about the original WD player.

I hate feeding trolls but lucky for you the mods around here aren't the micro-managing type because we would all have one less headache.

Have a good day sir, hopefully the blue sky and birds overhead won't be another reason for you to complain

Good for you!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskino View Post

But the Asus does not have support for NFS network sharing, very important for streaming hi-def movies

Thanks for that. Deal killer for me!

bob
Old 08-16-2009, 03:06 AM

The current state of WDTV is for me a WDTV 2 deal killer already ...
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 AM

WD TV(TM) Mini Media Player

Features
DVD-quality playback
Play media from your USB drive
Collect without limits
Real Media playback

Ideal for
Hassle-free playback of DVD-quality movies, home videos, digital music, and photos on your big screen TV.
Playing video at home, at a friend’s house, or while you’re traveling.
Playing movies in Real Media (RMVB) format.

Kit Contents
HD Media Player
Compact remote with batteries
Composite AV cable
Component AV cable

AC adapter
Quick Install Guide

Compatibility
AAC, MP3, JPEG, USB 2.0, Energy Star, Real Media
Media Formats
AVI (Xvid, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MP4/MOV (MPEG4), RM or RMVB 8/9/10
JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG
MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, OGG, Real Audio, APE
Playlist – PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitle – SRT, SSA, SUB, SMI

- RMVB supports up to 1024x576x24 or 800x600x30 compressed video resolution
- MPEG1/2/4 supports up to D1 resolution (720x480 in NTSC, 720x576 in PAL)
- MPEG2 ML/MP conforming to ISO-13818
- MPEG1 ML/MP conforming to ISO-11172
- A audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound via digital optical output.
For details, please refer to the user manual.

WD TV (TM) Live Media Player

Features
Play Full HD 1080p video, music and photos on your HD TV
Supports widest variety of file formats and devices
Network capable for easy access to the newest content from PCs, network drives, internet favorites
Kit Contents
Media Player
Compact remote with batteries
Composite AV cable
Component AV cable
AC adapter
Quick Install Guide

Compatibility
HDMI,Full HD (1080p), AAC, MP3, JPEG, USB 2.0, H.264, SimplayHD™, Energy Star®, Dolby Digital, DTS, DLNA, Bonjour, AVCHD, Windows Vista

Media Formats
AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1),
TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1) MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9
JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG
MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist – PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitle – SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution. MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to
1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation. WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60
or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution. H.264 MP@4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24,
1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output. Compressed RGB JPEG formats only
and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
Single layer TIFF files only. Uncompressed BMP only. Specific details, please refer to the user manual
Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can this thing pass-through the High-Def audio codecs? (Tru-HD and DTS-HD MA) ?

If not..I'm looking elsewhere.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post

Dont expect too much from WD! If in the specs of the device doesnt say that, dont wait for WD to had something... they are very bad in supporting their media players!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post

Can you name "elsewhere"? Does anyone do that? As far as I know even HTPCs can't do it (with external/internal soundcard) yet.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexian96 View Post

Can you name "elsewhere"? Does anyone do that? As far as I know even HTPCs can't do it (with external/internal soundcard) yet.

OMG - anything with HDMI 1.3 can do it...
Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Nice! Lack of DTS decoding was the biggest reason I never got the 1st one. Might have to consider now.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Wow.. What's up with all this hate here? Some of you people really should consider counselling...

I love my wdtv v.1. I would buy this one, but as i don't have a network storage or need for downmixed DTS i think that i'll pass
Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexian96 View Post

HTPCs can do it but only with the asus Xonar HDAV cards
Old 08-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjolle View Post

Wow.. What's up with all this hate here? Some of you people really should consider counselling...

I agree completely.....With all the other things going on in the world, some of this WDTV whining seems really childish........

I've had the WDTV from the start and have almost 2tb's of stored video including tv shows, movies, etc in divix, avi, h.264, mkv, etc etc....There has only been ONE file that the unit wouldn't play out of hundreds that I have on HDD storage.....I get lip-sync errors every now and then, but again, nothing life altering certainly, and its more likely the encoding than the unit itself anyway......I understand the complaints for those who need or want subtitles, however complaining isnt going to change anything and there ARE other alternatives.....DTS down-mixing would have been nice for times when I want to watch without my surround system on (mainly late at night) but again, not gonna lose sleep over it.....Fact is, for a $99.00 media player it has certainly exceeded my expectations, and I dont feel WD is obligated to continuously support it past a certain threshold of usability before turning they're attention to a newer and improved model....This new unit (if its real) looks like they're trying to address some of the shortcomings of the first, so just chill and see what it has to offer before passing judgement folks...............
Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Many manufacturers don't bother to improve their products or even fix bugs for devices that costs $1000 dollars, like a TV set...they just market a new model..why expect from WD to endlessly improve a 99$ device...WDTV 1 is slowly drifting into history (I don't think new units are being produced for some time now), the world goes on - WDTV 2 is (almost)here.

I too sense a lot of hatred aimed at WD...I think the only company that ever attracted that kind of "hatred" was Microsoft...Actually it is interesting for such a "bad" and "unusable" device to attract so much attention and emotion...one would assume it would make peoplw indifferent...it must have SOMETHING...