Could this be the next WDTV? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This thing is real, under $100 will be stealer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvom View Post

OMG - anything with HDMI 1.3 can do it...

Just because anything with HDMI 1.3 has the ability to process/pass through the HD audio streams, doesn't mean that it will be default. The software has to be programed to do it.

All I'm saying is that if WDTV 2 can't even pass-through the HD audio streams, I'm going to buy a different product that actually will. To me, High Definition isn't just HD video, it's also HD audio. By limiting the player to only AC3 and DTS (non-HD), it's a limitation that decreases the value of the product.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:49 PM

Liked: 10
Nice, unlike a seemingly large portion of you I've never really had that many problems with my player, as a matter of fact I've really been pretty happy with it.

I'll probably plunk down ~$115 for something like this. Network on top of everything would really be tits.

I've had great luck just using my WD HDTV player in my town and country to stream kids movies on long trips, if I upgrade I'll just keep in in the van.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post

Just because anything with HDMI 1.3 has the ability to process/pass through the HD audio streams, doesn't mean that it will be default. The software has to be programed to do it.

True. As owan pointed out, Xonar cards partially support birstreaming DTS-MA/TruHD but only with some specialized software (TMT).

But a $200+ card just to get the raw audio out? No thanks. I'll wait for a future NMT/WDTV with this support and until then I'll live with vanilla DTS out of DTS-MA containing MKVs.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:29 PM

I come from my holidays and i see this topic

I buy a WDTV1 a long time....today....i have a BugBOX HD

Buy another WD product, another BugBOX....NO THANKS!!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 PM

For me, the only functionality missing from my WDTV was DTS/Dolby downmixing and the NIC. I, for one, am happy to see such a significant upgrade. It completely changes the game and the way I will watch TV from here on out. As long as WD doesn't over charge for this updated WDTV I will be buying one.

And for those of you complaining about this updated version - let your wallets do the talking. Don't buy the WDTV2 and move on.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatty View Post

For me, the only functionality missing from my WDTV was DTS/Dolby downmixing and the NIC. I, for one, am happy to see such a significant upgrade. It completely changes the game and the way I will watch TV from here on out. As long as WD doesn't over charge for this updated WDTV I will be buying one.

And for those of you complaining about this updated version - let your wallets do the talking. Don't buy the WDTV2 and move on.

I agree! i refused shipping on my staples.com purchase in anticipation.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koadic View Post

Actually, if you look closely at the back of the unit, you will see two mini jacks, and you can just barely make out the words 'Audio' and 'Video', most likely for adapters in order to save space on the back of the box because of the addition of the network jack.

Actually, it's easy to second guess you now after the bigger picture was posted; you're wrong here. I was wondering how in the hell they could do composite and component with those jacks so I started looking closer.

The first jack is labled "AV OUT" and the second jack appears to be labeled "Y Pb Pr"

For the record, I'm still stumped as to how this works (obv some sort of propriety cable) to get both composite and component through those jacks.

Somewhat better news for us component only guys I guess, but anyone's guess when this comes out and if it fixes version 1 issues. Which I'm not entirely clear on what exactly they all are . . . (even after reading the bugs/wish list thread).
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post

Actually, it's easy to second guess you now after the bigger picture was posted; you're wrong here. I was wondering how in the hell they could do composite and component with those jacks so I started looking closer.

The first jack is labled "AV OUT" and the second jack appears to be labeled "Y Pb Pr"

For the record, I'm still stumped as to how this works (obv some sort of propriety cable) to get both composite and component through those jacks.

Somewhat better news for us component only guys I guess, but anyone's guess when this comes out and if it fixes version 1 issues. Which I'm not entirely clear on what exactly they all are . . . (even after reading the bugs/wish list thread).

Well, video card companies have been supplying proprietary Component out dongles for years. It doesn't seem too far fetched that WD found a way to make that happen using what seems to be a mini-din (?) connector.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
It's just a mini-jack to 3 RCAs, me thinks...DV cameras use this 99% of time to get video out...it comes with the package, I'm sure!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 AM

All I was hoping for was:

1. Remote control that is either ergonomic or doesn't require me to turn on the lights to use. I've lost count of how many times I've hit the back button instead of the review button. At least make the remote ergonomic or something.

2. e-SATA support

3. Master power switch (in the meantime I'm using a power strip with on/of switch)

4. Support for FLV files

If they don't provide any of these, then oh well. For $100, it's not a bad deal.

On a side note, now that the new model has an ethernet jack, it would be interesting to see if this device evolves into something (WDTV-3?) where I could web browse (like ExpressGate on Asus mobos) via a bluetooth keyboard & mouse, and/or subscribe to Netflix / Amazon like many newer HDTVs or set top boxes.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 AM

i'm trying to decide whether to go aheady and buy a wdtv gen 1 or wait for the new one. Ethernet would be nice, but i'm mainly interested in functionality and don't have a huge problem with sticking my files on a usb drive and bringing them downstairs from my computer to the entertainment center. I've got a couple questions that you guys may or may not be able to help me answer:

1. Would I be able to stream 1080p/24 .mkv from my upstairs computer over wireless network to my wdtv 2 plugged into my wireless router downstairs without any bandwidth concerns?

2. Any approximation anyone has seen on the release of this thing? before the end of september? before christmas? an educated guess/speculation is all i expect here.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukefan6842 View Post

1. Would I be able to stream 1080p/24 .mkv from my upstairs computer over wireless network to my wdtv 2 plugged into my wireless router downstairs without any bandwidth concerns?

2. Any approximation anyone has seen on the release of this thing? before the end of september? before christmas? an educated guess/speculation is all i expect here.

Can't comment on #2 but my best guess would be before christmas. As for #1 I would expect very little success streaming 1080p mkvs over wireless. Your best bet would be to stick with wired (i.e cat5e/cat6) or if that is not an option try a powerline/MoCA product.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexian96 View Post

True. As owan pointed out, Xonar cards partially support birstreaming DTS-MA/TruHD but only with some specialized software (TMT).

But a $200+ card just to get the raw audio out? No thanks. I'll wait for a future NMT/WDTV with this support and until then I'll live with vanilla DTS out of DTS-MA containing MKVs.

If I am not mistaken, many first generation NMTs can stream HD sound without your xonar card. And WD can not do it in their second generation box ? You better stay away from such a company !
Old 08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I am not mistaken, many first generation NMTs can stream HD sound without your xonar card. And WD can not do it in their second generation box ? You better stay away from such a company !

Who said they cannot????
Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

It's just a mini-jack to 3 RCAs, me thinks...DV cameras use this 99% of time to get video out...it comes with the package, I'm sure!

Yeah will probably be a three-banded mini-jack, one band for each color component, really not hard to do........ Audio out will have to be toslink or from the analog a/v out jack I suspect.......
Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 PM

I am a very happy WDTV (ver 1) owner. Admittedly, I run the ext-3 firmware hack which allows me to have USB hubs and a USB->Ethernet connection, but apart from that the rest of the WD TV was pretty damn good from the word Go (and for AU$170, hard to beat).

As far as the WDTV-2 is concerned, on-board ethernet will be nice, but what I really need out-of-the-box is:
(a) USB Hub capabilities (how hard can it be - that's the first thing that was hacked into the old firmware - I have 4 drives, dammit); and
(b) proper subtitle handling. The subtitling engine in WDTV-1 is usable, but compared to a typical FFDSHOW/FFMPEG installation, it sucks big time; no re-locatable subs, no multi-coloured subs, not capable of showing two individual subtitle lines at a time (ie, one subtitle line is displayed and a *second* subtitle line is added soon after during the display of the first line - for example, when multiple people are speaking)... etc. I watch a lot of subtitled stuff, so this one is very high on my list.

But even with the above problems - I love that little box-o'-transistors.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatty View Post

Well, video card companies have been supplying proprietary Component out dongles for years. It doesn't seem too far fetched that WD found a way to make that happen using what seems to be a mini-din (?) connector.

DOes ythat mean it now only support component and not composite for Video out? I only see an pin for the Component link and not for the composite, From what i know the yellow cpomposite is the most used video out on older tv's not component, am i wrong or does the viode out pin also work with composiste too?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 AM

With a network connection, I would really hope they allow Netflix and Pandora streaming to the device. That would seal the deal for me buying one of these. I could move the other one upstairs for the kids.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

With a network connection, I would really hope they allow Netflix and Pandora streaming to the device. That would seal the deal for me buying one of these. I could move the other one upstairs for the kids.

That's exactly the problem I see with devices like these. Things streamers were intended to stream movies and music stored on a computer to a TV. But the companies behind the products are trying to make it "everything for everyone". Streaming from netflix, streaming from youtube, streaming from this site, from that service. There lies the problem. They have *too* many functions and they can't perform ANY of them well, then the consumer gets a near-broken device that's slow and is prone to screwing up.

I personally don't want a box which can stream from the web, just to stream the popular file formats from a PC, and to do that specific task well.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post

That's exactly the problem I see with devices like these. Things streamers were intended to stream movies and music stored on a computer to a TV. But the companies behind the products are trying to make it "everything for everyone". Streaming from netflix, streaming from youtube, streaming from this site, from that service. There lies the problem. They have *too* many functions and they can't perform ANY of them well, then the consumer gets a near-broken device that's slow and is prone to screwing up.

I personally don't want a box which can stream from the web, just to stream the popular file formats from a PC, and to do that specific task well.

Products are already out there or integrated with players / TVs. I haven't used any but last time I checked Panasonic, Sony, Microsoft, LG, Samsung, etc. all have such devices. If WD incorporated such a feature, I would think they would license something that has already had most of the bugs worked out.

As great as this product is, it cannot be everything for everyone within a $100 budget. It's a first generation product. Give things time. I personally avoid most anything that's first generation. The WDTV was an exception for me. I think what's happening here is people have really high expectations for a $100 box and when they don't get instant gratification for a quirk they've encountered they get ticked off. Things will happen in due time. Competition assures that.

I think WD is keeping things simple so as to not dramatically affect their manufacturing costs by keeping things in a small box. I have been using the WDTV since December and the main bugs for me have already been ironed out.

It seems most of the people complaining here have very specific needs that probably most people do not care about every single subtle nuance. I'm not saying those needs are not relevant, just that the more unique your needs the longer it will take to remedy (if at all).

Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Just as much this has become a cut throat business, so I think you will see more and more products rushed to the market before they should be. T&ake Xtreamer, they are still having problems fulfilling orders and it seems that there are some key items that they advertised with the product that aren't even available yet (you had no way of knowing this until after you got the product). Hopefully WD has had enough time to learn from the good and bad of the WDTV with the release of the next two players.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 PM

I'm wondering if this one use the same processor as the wd tv.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevenz View Post

I'm wondering if this one use the same processor as the wd tv.

that's the million dollar question. if there's no processing power jump and we're stuck with 5 reframes on 1080p video, it'll become pretty apparent that WDTV is trying to resell us the same old machine. $130 doesn't sound like a good deal for a small audio boost that only audiophiles will appreciate and networking capabilities that 3rd party firmware and a $7 adapter can handle.

i have faith though that something good will come of the WDTV2.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:

Who said they cannot????

Do you think thay can ? With the team that was making us happy with all those wonderful FW updates ? I doubt...
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 AM

anyone has any idea when this will be released? around what time was the original released?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you think thay can ? With the team that was making us happy with all those wonderful FW updates ? I doubt...

Like I said, there is much hatred of WD around...i have no trouble with their updates, most big companies have NONE!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:

Like I said, there is much hatred of WD around...i have no trouble with their updates, most big companies have NONE!!!

No hatred here - just scepticism based on bad experience...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No hatred here - just scepticism based on bad experience...

it's their first media player...there is always a first, how can you see what will happen next?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 PM

You know, the more I think about this new device, the more I like its potential. Connecting a WDTV2 to a network share is just the tip of the iceberg. What if that network share resided on an HTPC where your Digital Tuner Cards recorded and stored TV shows? Considering the huge list of supported codecs, it's highly likely that the WDTV2 will be able to play these files with little to no adjustments on your HTPC.

Yea, the possibilities here are very exciting indeed.