AVS Forum banner

Could this be the next WDTV?

71K views 132 replies 59 participants last post by  rayosx 
#1 ·

Any idea what is this?

See less See more
#4 ·
Hopefully WD will use an evolution of the current wdtv chip, like the sigma 8655.

This would result in much quicker boot time, UI browsing, picture loading time, etc.. Also it would give network performance a big boost and we wouldn't have to worry anymore about stuff like using NFS for high bitrate files (m2ts, 1080p mkv...)

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by koraldon /forum/post/16935089

Very disappointing -

I would expect WD to support the first product, and fix it - before coming out with a new one.

I will definitly not buy WD products until they fix their device, and will recommend to others to keep a distance from WD.

amen to that. why even consider another wd device if they dont even support their current device. im sure many will buy it anyway, since it looks sexy and has new features...but eventually they will regret it when they find out support is virtually non-existent.

it makes me sick to read twitterposts from WD about some party where they launch a new player, while they have forgotten about the current userbase by not releasing new FWs, not listening to users...(uservoice anyone? what a major fail that is....launching it, taking all good ideas and put them in a new device)

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc@ /forum/post/16935338

Looks like DTS 2.0 but no DD TrueHD logo on the case. That could mean they still use the same Sigma chip, that would be great for the firmware. So you can use it also on the WD TV revision 1 but that are speculations of course.

im afraid it will aways be speculation....they will probably never release it for the current device. they rather receive money for a new device with "new and unique features" (that they got from us through the uservoice site) than giving us something back in return.....i hope im wrong. but the world works like that. it a shame really, WD could turn us all into WD evangelists if they finally pick up their act and indeed release fast and improved FWs.....but realistically....i dont bet on it
if they were serious about supporting the current userbase they would have announced new FWs and features already. i guess only the new suckers who buy the new products will benefit from that.

[i dont think they will get their stuff corrected...just look at what theyve releases until now....they cant even get the playback working ok, why even bother about new features?]

#16 ·
the main reasons that i would buy a WDTV2 would be if they upped the acceptable reference frame limit on 1080p video. dolby stuff and networking features don't interest me in the slightest; the former because i don't have a noteworthy audio set-up, and the latter because networking is unreliable and leads to unnecessary headaches that hard drives tend to avoid.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt /forum/post/16936120

Whatever it is it looks like a big "Screw You" for us component guys again. No surprise, I suppose.

Not only are they still omitting component, but they've dropped composite. Composite isn't great quality-wise, but it's universally compatible. With HDMI only, you can't just grab your WDTV and bring it with you anywhere and know it will work.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/16936443

Not only are they still omitting component, but they've dropped composite. Composite isn't great quality-wise, but it's universally compatible. With HDMI only, you can't just grab your WDTV and bring it with you anywhere and know it will work.

Yha I agree with that but who knows this is just a prototype I assume.

#20 ·

Quote:
Not only are they still omitting component, but they've dropped composite.

Actually, if you look closely at the back of the unit, you will see two mini jacks, and you can just barely make out the words 'Audio' and 'Video', most likely for adapters in order to save space on the back of the box because of the addition of the network jack.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koadic /forum/post/16936717

Actually, if you look closely at the back of the unit, you will see two mini jacks, and you can just barely make out the words 'Audio' and 'Video', most likely for adapters in order to save space on the back of the box because of the addition of the network jack.

Good eye.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademiks /forum/post/16936329

I would never buy a Western Digital product again if true..

They lack the support for their first one, yet I should buy another one?

Go to hell, WD.

You guys aren't making me feel very good about my soon to arrive from Amzn old model of the WDTV...crap...I'm always late to the party...I just wanted a device to play some hi def stuff besides the HD channels over my new Panny 50G10 Plasma...

This sucker better play some hi-def MKV's and make my mp3's sound good over my AVP with easy to play functionality or I'm gonna be PO'd too and this suckers going back!

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_fusion /forum/post/16937246

You guys aren't making me feel very good about my soon to arrive from Amzn old model of the WDTV...crap...I'm always late to the party...I just wanted a device to play some hi def stuff besides the HD channels over my new Panny 50G10 Plasma...

This sucker better play some hi-def MKV's and make my mp3's sound good over my AVP with easy to play functionality or I'm gonna be PO'd too and this suckers going back!

Tons of people love it. Most people that don't have an issue aren't gonna come here just to say it works. People are more likely to come here when they have issues. I'm sure you'll love it.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/16937385

Tons of people love it. Most people that don't have an issue aren't gonna come here just to say it works. People are more likely to come here when they have issues. I'm sure you'll love it.

I sure hope so...I have a passport loaded with stuff just ready and waiting....and I'm sick of burning stacks of DVD's and categorizing them and feeding them into my player....

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koadic /forum/post/16936717

A bigger image....

#26 ·
Looks like it has both, COMPONENT and COMPOSITE now!

But still no ON/OFF switch

kianwee, don't you want to tell where you saw that thing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.