Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya View Post

you can't find these statements now, it means that such possibility is not really granted even for the older Base 1.0 product. Besides, I personally don't think it would make a big sense to buy Base+some PC BD drive instead of Prime, otherwise it would be the same problem for the combo (Base+BD drive) as C-200 has (only 1.5 year validity of the AACS keys for working with PC BD drives in such devices). And BD Prime doesn't have this time limitation...

see
http://dune-hd.com/news/112-hdi-pres...-products.html
on this problem

There's a lot of bs in that press release...
Quote:
real Blu-ray players like Dune BD Prime

LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

There's a lot of bs in that press release...
LOL

I can understand what it means: a player where you should buy by yourself a BD drive and install it there by yourself (and even compatibility is not granted: see the reports that some LiteOn and Sony BD drives are not supported) and where the AACS codes are limited by time is not a "real Blu-ray player" from any point of view. It's just an HD player with some upgrade possibilities.
Besides, as C-200 uses 8643 chip, not the 8642 one (only 8642 one is really for legal BD playback, 8643 is for IPTV mostly), it means that Popcorn doesn't report their devices as Blu-ray players and doesn't pay any BD-related licenses. From this point of view C-200 is not a "real Blu-ray player". Any reseller installing BD drive to C-200 and selling it as a Blu-ray player has a risk to confront legally with BDA and many other organizations...

Also obviously any real BD players look more like a player and less like a PC...
Dune Prime players by hardware are obviously "normal" Blu-ray players with some extensions (like optional internal HDD, more USB ports and eSATA port) and with the software including all the Blu-ray functions + streamer functions like in NMT...

So I really don't see a problem to follow what this PR means...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Who cares?
All these players have limited market lifetime.
In a short time when all the big manufacturers will have cheap bluray/mkv/lan players like LG-390 and similar, who's gonna buy a Dune?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM

This might be a dumb question but these same players that play a BD iso can they also play a hddvd iso?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I can understand what it means: a player where you should buy by yourself a BD drive and install it there by yourself (and even compatibility is not granted: see the reports that some LiteOn and Sony BD drives are not supported)
ah what is not supported, in the wiki is a compatibility list and most drives are working, the only thing where some fail is with BD-R Data Disks and files on it with 40mbps streams and higher and that is a limitation of drivespeed, for your info an BD loader inside the dune which is cheap and slow, will never have the performance as an PC BD loader, so playing from BD-R wont bring better results then the worst drive for the C-200!

and where the AACS codes are limited by time is not a "real Blu-ray player" from any point of view. It's just an HD player with some upgrade possibilities.
again wrong, Syabas said that they will renew the AACS keys and will update them for 5 years after the last C-200 rolls out, and an fixed BD loader is no advantage if you have to send back the hole unit when the loader dies, and after the warranty it will be really expensive, so where is the advantage???? also an AACS Type A doesn't mean that it will work a lifetime.

Besides, as C-200 uses 8643 chip, not the 8642 one (only 8642 one is really for legal BD playback, 8643 is for IPTV mostly)
again bs, maybe you should read sigma data sheets!! only 865x is for IPTV, all 864x are for BD Players, so stop telling everytime the same bs, its really unbelievable.

it means that Popcorn doesn't report their devices as Blu-ray players and doesn't pay any BD-related licenses.
again wrong Syabas pays licenses, without paying for it they couldn't get BD+, AACS......

From this point of view C-200 is not a "real Blu-ray player". Any reseller installing BD drive to C-200 and selling it as a Blu-ray player has a risk to confront legally with BDA and many other organizations...
yes you are right an Reseller can't use the BD Logo and thats it, so again no limitation and only wrong infos to resellers by HDI

Also obviously any real BD players look more like a player and less like a PC...
Dune Prime players by hardware are obviously "normal" Blu-ray players with some extensions (like optional internal HDD, more USB ports and eSATA port)

but you can't open the Prime because it is sealed, so you will loose warranty so really great option , more USB Ports thats interessting i know that HDI has less, eSata who needs it? no one can use full Sata speed also USB Speed never gets fully reached.

and with the software including all the Blu-ray functions + streamer functions like in NMT...
thats new the old HDI never reach the level of the NMT Software in Streaming functions and there is no difference on BD functions.

So I really don't see a problem to follow what this PR means...
yes there is no problem because it is just PR which is wrong
Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...extract the biggest m2ts file from the ISO image and play this one file just as a usual ts file with H.264 codec. M2ts file playback is really very basic functionality, available from many players on the market.

Major new movies may start moving to using multiple, smaller ts files in an attempt to defeat this ability...

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

obviously Popcorn needed to answer something and they answered. You trust them. Ok, it's up to you. Only future will show who was right...

Besides, getting license and paying royalties is not the same... It's possible to get a license and always declare zero quantities (obviously Popcorn does it like this : they don't make Blu-ray players => so no royalties, very convenient. obviously playback of Blu-ray with adding BD drive where no BD related royalties are paid is very questionable from the legal point of view. Who knows what implications it may have after Popcorn does the first real mass production and moves thousands of units through the customs...)

and "more USB ports" meant comparing with standard Blu-ray players, not a C-200

and on the difference between the odd and even numbers of Sigma chips: it was always the same, I'm following this for the last 3 years and can tell you one thing ABSOLUTELY for sure: the odd numbered chips (like 8635 and 8643) were NEVER created for any equpment with media like DVD or Blu-ray. The rest is just HD players, IPTV, VoD, so on...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and on the difference between the odd and even numbers of Sigma chips: it was always the same, I'm following this for the last 3 years and can tell you one thing ABSOLUTELY for sure: the odd numbered chips (like 8635 and 8643) were NEVER created for any equpment with media like DVD or Blu-ray. The rest is just HD players, IPTV, VoD, so on...

The 8643 was intended for products that want to integrate full Blu-ray playback functionality into them, such as AVR or HDTV, or a HDMI-only output Blu-ray player.

Some upcoming DMA products and IPTV products (deployments that don't need Macrovision) will also use the 8643 just for the additional CPU power...

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Who cares?
All these players have limited market lifetime.
In a short time when all the big manufacturers will have cheap bluray/mkv/lan players like LG-390 and similar, who's gonna buy a Dune?

not true... all those "big brands" follow the big guys rules, and so they will never _dare_ to have a half of the functions of such players like Dune or C-200...
also, note on the MKV support: I think currently it's one of the biggest frauds on the market: the most of the players (especially from those "big brands") have only very very basic support of MKV. Technically it's there but indeed they support only 10-30% of the staff you can download from Internet really w/o any major playback problem.
MKV is really a quite complex thing. Popcorn's support of MKV is not bad, but Dune is invincible in this area according to all the tests I saw (really hard to find any MKV file in Internet which would be correctly constructed but would create any problem for playback: any codecs, any bit-rates).

This situation with MKV is the same as it always was in PS3 for TS files, for example (TS files playback was always declared for PS3 but it was hard to find any TS file which could be played w/o issues or even played at all): big brands are close to Hollywood, MKV/TS files mean only one thing for them: piracy. Full supporting such things is never a good idea for them. They only declare support and do some small things just to have the claim... So one buys it and then sees only problems for files playback (like it will convince to use legal contents instead...)
The idea of small companies like Syabas (Popcorn) and HDI (Dune) is of course very different....
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack View Post

The 8643 was intended for products that want to integrate full Blu-ray playback functionality into them, such as AVR or HDTV, or a HDMI-only output Blu-ray player.

right, but the combo of "C-200+BD drive" doesn't correspond to this description, it has all the analogue video outputs and who knows how they avoid Macrovision for all of them for the legal contents (Blu-ray, DVD discs)...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Major new movies may start moving to using multiple, smaller ts files in an attempt to defeat this ability...

indeed, they already started...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:

indeed just recalled one other thing: at least previously odd-even chip numbers were different not just by Macrovision but also by CSS. Keith, is it still the same for the 8642-8643 pair? Is it legal now to be able to play DVDs (with CSS protection of course) w/o paying to CSS?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

right, but the combo of "C-200+BD drive" doesn't correspond to this description, it has all the analogue video outputs and who knows how they avoid Macrovision for all of them for the legal contents (Blu-ray, DVD discs)...

Turned off for the resolutions that Macrovision can protect. Use CGMS info for the remaining resolutions.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
Old 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it legal now to be able to play DVDs (with CSS protection of course) w/o paying to CSS?

No.

But since Dwight Cavendish is now an approved alternative to Macrovision, and doesn't require a separate part number for tracking, just because a chip doesn't support Macrovision doesn't mean that it can't be used for DVD or BD playback.

Wonder if there are too many negatives in that paragraph...

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Turned off for the resolutions that Macrovision can protect. Use CGMS info for the remaining resolutions.

he-he. not exactly. they forgot to turn off the component output for all the resolutions
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

he-he. not exactly. they forgot to turn off the component output for all the resolutions

Need a shaking head smilie...

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Wow, I sure hope something is soon available for purchase that can just play straight DVD ISO or Blu Ray ISO files from an external hard drive or thumb drive. I ripped a DVD to my hard drive and then tried to use this program called Handbrake to convert it to a .mkv file because my Oppo Blu Ray player says it supports that file format. My PC says it's using 100% of it's processing power and the ETA for conversion is over 12 hours! This is for a regular DVD. I don't have a computer that I can devote that kind of time to for conversion of a single movie. This all seems like more trouble than it's worth and makes me just want to stick with playing my commercial DVD and Blu Rays and Netflix discs through the Oppo exclusively. I had in my head that being able to source files from a hard drive with some sort of slick interface would be a cool idea but not if it's going to be like a part time job. It took me about 12 minutes to rip the movie to my hard drive. If I could play the ISO file directly from a portable drive and route everything through my current system then I would be happy. I'm not sure I have the patience or knowledge to do it though.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Wow, I sure hope something is soon available for purchase that can just play straight DVD ISO or Blu Ray ISO files from an external hard drive or thumb drive.

The Xtreamer does that.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

The Xtreamer does that.

So it plays BluRay iso-s with menus and everything?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk2005 View Post

So it plays BluRay iso-s with menus and everything?

Doesn't do the menus yet. That'll be added on a future FW update I'm sure.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
that cant get added so menus will never work on the xtreamer
Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Developers are working on it and it will come.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Doesn't do the menus yet. That'll be added on a future FW update I'm sure.

why are you so sure? don't you see the difference between the chips initially created for Blu-ray playback and the ones just for HD playback where only some BD elements can work?
Realtek chips are too weak/slow and also have no BD-oriented optimization in the h/w (as they were never meant for BD playback), so they will never be able to handle BD-J (Java) and BD Live with any reasonable speed (that's why Realtek solutions are so much cheaper than Sigma Designs ones). So full playback of Blu-ray disks is hardly possible on any Realtek-based devices, inc. Xtreamer ever...
(of course, maybe in the future Realtek will have some special chip for BD playback, then the situation will be different. But up to now they have nothing)
Old 10-20-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

BD Live I'm not sure about (doubtful, since BD Live is a useless feature anyway imho), but I know that they are working on the menus according to mods/admins on the official Xtreamer forum. I'm guessing it'll be akin to BD Profile 1.0.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I don't care about BD-Live, I'm not sure that BD ISO's are even really necessary for my purposes. All I want to do is rip the few hundred DVD's I still own and possibly a new one every now and then to a storage device and have it play back the ISO file through a HDMI device that can pass the video and audio untouched. A cool GUI with cover art and stuff would be icing on the cake really. From what I have read I might just need something like the WDTV box or the Asus O'Play.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:

not true... all those "big brands" follow the big guys rules, and so they will never _dare_ to have a half of the functions of such players like Dune or C-200...
also, note on the MKV support: I think currently it's one of the biggest frauds on the market: the most of the players (especially from those "big brands") have only very very basic support of MKV. Technically it's there but indeed they support only 10-30% of the staff you can download from Internet really w/o any major playback problem.
MKV is really a quite complex thing. Popcorn's support of MKV is not bad, but Dune is invincible in this area according to all the tests I saw (really hard to find any MKV file in Internet which would be correctly constructed but would create any problem for playback: any codecs, any bit-rates).

This situation with MKV is the same as it always was in PS3 for TS files, for example (TS files playback was always declared for PS3 but it was hard to find any TS file which could be played w/o issues or even played at all): big brands are close to Hollywood, MKV/TS files mean only one thing for them: piracy. Full supporting such things is never a good idea for them. They only declare support and do some small things just to have the claim... So one buys it and then sees only problems for files playback (like it will convince to use legal contents instead...)
The idea of small companies like Syabas (Popcorn) and HDI (Dune) is of course very different....

Sony will never support .mkv (they didn't support mp3 either, and that made Apple what they are today, really buried Sony's Walkman series for years).
Everyone else will support it, as they did with dvix. And the bluray/mkv players will be getting better at playing .mkv, and cheaper...

EDIT: Samsung after LG is officially supporting .mkv too, with their new firmwares
Old 10-20-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

All I want to do is rip the few hundred DVD's I still own and possibly a new one every now and then to a storage device and have it play back the ISO file through a HDMI device that can pass the video and audio untouched. A cool GUI with cover art and stuff would be icing on the cake really. From what I have read I might just need something like the WDTV box or the Asus O'Play.

Make sure to buy a player that can properly support DVD iso-s, with menus, everything. I've recently finished ripping my DVD collection and just realized how many seemless branching, multi-angle, multi-title, etc DVD-s I have. These will not play correctly on players that only support playing the main title.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Developers are working on it and it will come.

Whose JVM (if not from Sun, there will compatibility issues)? PIP support? Is there enough DRAM?

Without a BDA license, it won't be shipping long before they get a phone call. And Realtek would also get dinged $ for selling to a non-licensee. BDA license has a lot of teeth that DVD license didn't. And they will be asking customs in each country to stop shipments of any products they find that violate their patents or intellectual property.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
XBMC can play DVD .iso files, including menus. You can buy a used classic XBox for about $60 and it will be a great machine with the best UI around.

If you need high-def content, you can go with an Acer AspireRevo for $200 and use XBMC for Windows coupled with MPC-HC for high-def content. That's what I'm finishing up right now. PowerDVD 8 (included on the Revo) should be able to play a mounted Blu-ray .iso file, but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
SageTV HD Theater supports BD ISOs as of October 14, 2009

I suspect there are qualifications on audio through certain connections. I'm pretty sure it's not HDMI 1.3 spec.

Add: If it handles it the same way as folders, it just plays the largest ts stream and defaults to the first audio track. It does allow the ability to switch between audio tracks once the audio is playing.

User Tag List