Western Digital - WD TV Live Media Player (WDTV2) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think, in a word, your problem is "Vista". I hate the freaking OS. I feel Billy Boy went out of his way to make it difficult so the computer illiterate can't mess it up. I also think the Vista is the 21st century version of Windows ME, for it too was a POS operating system.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 PM

@BowerR64-

My beef is not with WD at this point. They have released the WD TV Live a couple of days earlier than was rumored. My issue is with Amazon. I ordered mine on 9-27 and a couple of days later they took the page down. When I emailed them to ask about it, they told me that their supplier is having problems getting the unit. So why oh why did Amazon not find a different supplier?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 PM

putting more emphasis on my earlier post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshlol View Post

DVD menus aside, can somebody put this through more standard tests to see what the limits are of the hardware? this seems to be the most common bunch of video files to use...

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/132004...mple_16ref.mkv
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/132004...010000kbps.mkv

try direct connection through USB first, then streaming.

and there's a host of files in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181902

let's be as thorough with this as possible, so that people will no longer hold off on purchasing other devices should this not live up to a golden standard. my train of thought is, networking tests are nuanced by the individuals set up, so direct connection tests are a must.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
just try those mkv file no problem.they work fine.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

What is the interface like in the new version?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 PM

Liked: 11
The interface is almost identical to the first. But at least 3 times as fast. There are more options of course. Deep color support 8bit 12 bit selectable.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken984 View Post

The interface is almost identical to the first. But at least 3 times as fast. There are more options of course. Deep color support 8bit 12 bit selectable.

Thanks for the speedy response, bro.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks for this picture. You are the MAN
Just compared with old WDTV pictures on maddhat.com/?p=31
The cpu radiator is identical
Guessing that they did not change CPU model at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

OK, I did it. Please pray for me that I can put this thing back together. I tried a new approach: I pried open a crack between the light gray and dark gray plastic, stuck my screwdriver in there, and pried it open slowly, moving along the entire length.

Once, I freed the outer gray plastic from the inner lighter gray plastic, there were four screws visible. I removed those, and the metal casing lifted right off.

Here's a photo of the inside board:
farm3.static.flickr.com/2526/3996227655_329867ee46_b.jpg

Note: These photos were taken with my iPhone 3GS. I have the 3rd party app Camera Zoom which allows me to do some digital zooming. I tried taking a macro shot of the Realtek chip, but the writing was too small to make out with the photo, so I'll just tell you what it says:

RTL8201EL
97V99S3
G932 TAIWAN

Hopefully I got that right. The text is *REALLY* small, and I'm getting old.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So this is my first WDTV unit. I had no personal experience with the 1st gen unit. I do have a lot of experience running XBMC on classic XBoxes.

So I got this thing plugged in and booted up. Love the small size of the unit and the silent operation. Was able to navigate to my shared drive. Was even able to play a Blu-ray rip .ISO file (main movie only, Dolby Digital soundtrack). PQ looked great.

That's the good. The rest is bad:
- My Blu-ray rip .ISO didn't start off at the beginning. This could be a problem with my rip software, but I don't think so.
- Where are the previous/next chapter buttons? I see a PREV and NEXT button on the remote, but it doesn't navigate through chapters. Rather, it moves to the previous/next movie in my list.
- The grid display of movies is awful. The thumbnails are way too tiny. I want a list view, with a long list of movie titles on one side and a large boxart or fanart image of the highlighted movie. Can't seem to do that.
- I've got a user/password set up on my share. So I enter that info. OK. But every time I select Video/Network Shares, it brings up the user/password prompt (pre-filled with what I used previously). Why is it bothering me with that?

Based on what I've seen so far, this UI has a very poor WAF. Strike that. The UI scores poorly on my own acceptance factor.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:

- Where are the previous/next chapter buttons? I see a PREV and NEXT button on the remote, but it doesn't navigate through chapters. Rather, it moves to the previous/next movie in my list.

They STILL haven't fixed this? That was a huge gripe I had with the original unit. I might have to pass. Yes, it's that big of a deal to me.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:28 PM

@ srauly On the first WD-TV to access previous/next chapter you press fast forward then press next or press rewind then press previous so I would assume you can do this also.

On the first WD-TV you can set your media browsing experience up so that you can see the thumbnails so I would assume you can find some way to set up here too.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 PM

The unit does not support menus from dvd or bluray, all you get is the main movie. The chapter select is in the options menu when the movie is playing, however it will probably not work with an iso, it does work with mkv. Prev and nextdon't do much at all. There is a setting to save the login credentials on the WD, I found it tonight in the settings somewhere.
Quote:

So this is my first WDTV unit. I had no personal experience with the 1st gen unit. I do have a lot of experience running XBMC on classic XBoxes.

So I got this thing plugged in and booted up. Love the small size of the unit and the silent operation. Was able to navigate to my shared drive. Was even able to play a Blu-ray rip .ISO file (main movie only, Dolby Digital soundtrack). PQ looked great.

- My Blu-ray rip .ISO didn't start off at the beginning. This could be a problem with my rip software, but I don't think so.
- The grid display of movies is awful. The thumbnails are way too tiny. I want a list view, with a long list of movie titles on one side and a large boxart or fanart image of the highlighted movie. Can't seem to do that.
- I've got a user/password set up on my share. So I enter that info. OK. But every time I select Video/Network Shares, it brings up the user/password prompt (pre-filled with what I used previously). Why is it bothering me with that?

Based on what I've seen so far, this UI has a very poor WAF. Strike that. The UI scores poorly on my own acceptance factor.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjsouth View Post

@ srauly On the first WD-TV to access previous/next chapter you press fast forward then press next or press rewind then press previous so I would assume you can do this also.

That's doing nothing with chapters. It's simply jumping forward in 10 minute intervals.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 PM

@fixxture Yea I see what hes wanting to do now, its to scan through chapetrs like DVD support and not skip 10 minute intervals, ok.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I don't personally need to skip the "real" chapters. I'd just want to skip a large chunk of a time, so the 10 minute skip would work for me.

I also don't need (or even want) DVD/Blu-ray menu support. I'd like to be able to play an .iso simply because I like having my movies encapsulated in a single file. I already have a large collection of DVD .iso files (main movie only, sometimes multiple audio tracks, and English subtitles - no menus or extra content). I'd like to have a one-click 1-2 hour rip solution for Blu-rays as well, and I've been playing with the latest beta of DVDFab for that.

My bigger concern with my Blu-ray .iso test file (aside from lack of chapter skip, which the 10 minute skip would satisfy), was the fact that it didn't start at the beginning of the movie.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Some blurays are cut up in to a LOT of small files. Your best bet is makemkv or ripbot264. Make one file with subs and chapters and DD 5.1.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 PM

@srauly-

I don't know for sure, but that sounds like a rip issue to me rather then a player issue.

Just sayin'...

Old 10-09-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

even the Planet Earth 1080p mkv with 16 reframes played well? you played this one, all the way through? i can't think of a single non-HTPC media box that has been able to play it, and to think that the WDTV Live could at a $140 price tag is... crazy? i dunno what word i'm looking for.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Just picked one up today at my local Best Buy. Very excited to set it up and use it! The finish on it has kinda of a nice subtle metallic flake too.

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but if anyone wants to pick it up at best buy and you're a rewards member, there's currently an active coupon you could use toward the unit.

10% off valid 10/09/09 - 10/12/09

http://image.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com/..._Couponsv2.pdf

The very first coupon is the one I used and it saved me $14.00! Since I live in Chicago and we have like the highest sales tax in america, 10%, the tax is pretty much all it saved me.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

1) You can set auto log in in the network options page on the unit.
2)I can not play BD ISOs on my unit. It says unsupported format.:-(
3)Chapter skip does not work with buttons on remote for MKVs, :-(, however options menu lets you go to chapters directly. :-)
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshlol View Post

even the Planet Earth 1080p mkv with 16 reframes played well? you played this one, all the way through? i can't think of a single non-HTPC media box that has been able to play it, and to think that the WDTV Live could at a $140 price tag is... crazy? i dunno what word i'm looking for.

wont lg bd 370 for $130 a better pick, includes bluray player lol.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:42 AM

i've not seen any definitive specs on that lg model that say that it can handle 16 reframes. could you point me to a comprehensive list of what it supports? the lg site is all but useless and the search function on the board isn't giving me direct answers.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:08 AM

It would be really interesting to see what sort of cpu is inside the WDTV live. Because in Europe, Eminent released the EM7075 player, and there's pictures of the mainboard showing a SMP8655. No Realtek lan chip. The GUI they use in the Eminent is also _really_ similar to the first WDTV (check youtube for 'em7075', as newbie i cannot post links). I'm holding off on what to buy since there is so many players on the market now, i don't know what to choose yet.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:15 AM

Could you post a detailed information about the settings? Or make some pictures? That would be nice.

Is 1080p@23.976Hz integrated and works? Or just 24Hz mode? What about "auto"? Does this function detect the framerate and set the correct frequency or does it just pick the highest available frequency for the tv (like the old wdtv - absolutly useless, because here in europe only 24 and 50hz are necessarry).
Old 10-10-2009, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBohrchX View Post

Probably still Sigma (8635) chipset ?

This chipset is in the wd hd tv 1?
With what we are born the following questions - questions:

1. We know prices; Where i can buy it?
2. What chip would wear; Same as the first model; or same as wearing the popcorn hour c-200

However, the official of the western digital Content we are not showing anything yet for the new machine.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:25 AM

@srauly What's under Villa 1.0.1.00 U13 sticker? Could you remove it? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:32 AM

Is available in Europe , already now ?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisly View Post

@srauly What's under Villa 1.0.1.00 U13 sticker? Could you remove it? Thanks in advance.

I already put it all back together. Sorry.

Scott R
--------------
Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 AM

That is ok. Don't break it again. Just let someone else do the dirty job, I'm sure we will know very soon.

Thanks!

Quote:

I already put it all back together. Sorry.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 AM

I do not see any settings for resolution/frame rate like in the original WD. The only settings are Video Output-HDMI-Component-Composite. And Deep Color-8 bit or 12 bit. My tv is reporting 1080p resolution, its a 60p tv it can't accept 24hz input. I will try to hook it up to my other tv and see what it reports, it will accept 24hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzyn View Post

Could you post a detailed information about the settings? Or make some pictures? That would be nice.

Is 1080p@23.976Hz integrated and works? Or just 24Hz mode? What about "auto"? Does this function detect the framerate and set the correct frequency or does it just pick the highest available frequency for the tv (like the old wdtv - absolutly useless, because here in europe only 24 and 50hz are necessarry).