post #511 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Agreed. They should supply a list of the models that will work, since the drivers
embedded in the device can only be used by certain ones. I have a DLink DW-140 that works.

Ah thanks... I may have to try it out... So when you plugged it in, did it give you that menu that it shows on page 57, or did you have to do something else to set it up? (assuming you remember)

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally posted on Slickdeals...but I thought it would be relevant here as well.

Was able to pick up a WDTV Live from my local BestBuy yesterday. The register ringed out at $139.99 but just mention to them the online price is $119.99. They will adjust. If not, you can complain to the manager or simply order online for an instore pickup. Some people were able to use the Rewards member 10% off coupon. Some people weren't.

Quick thoughts on the WDTV Live (aka WDTV2) as compared with the modded Xbox with XBMC I have been using for the past 5 years:

WDTV Live plays a stream of 1080P very nicely and beautifully. It upconverts my 480P material just as beautifully. However, I am not sure why there is stuttering during panning scenes when my aging Xbox with XBMC renders it perfectly smooth. I am thinking it's the upconversion process, but have to look into this a bit more. This is probably the biggest disappointment I have so far with WDTV Live.

The new Network Interface:
WDTV Live through the network interface attaches to my SMB NAS just fine. However, it's not as instant as how the XBMC does it. There is a slight delay and you get prompted for a username/password each time. Fortunately, the username/password is filled in. Unfortunately, the ok button is not highlighted by default, so you have to navigate to it each time. Very annoying. I heard there is a remedy for this by checking an autologin. I will look for this setting once I get back home.

Thoughts on GUI:
Despite being a version 2 product, the GUI interface feels very dated. I love the ability on the XBMC to change your view from list to thumbnail to other modes on the fly. With WDTV Live, you need to do that from the settings menu. It's too buried. I prefer to navigate folder structure via a list view and my movies via a list view with a sidebar that shows the movie art plus a blurb about the movie pulled from IMDB or some other internet service. This is possible with XBMC, but isn't an option for WDTV Live. Hopefully some hacker/modder will release some custom firmware that will bring the GUI up to par with XBMC. This leads me to the next part.

The Hardware:
Apparently, via the AVS Forum, an employee of WD, Scott said that WDTV has 512MB flash for ROM and 512MB of RAM. That's a huge deal as it can potentially allow for a community of modders to extend the device. The 32MB or so was a limitation for the old WDTV that prevented the modding community to really take off.

Some nice things about WDTV Live is it's audio support is pretty top notch with TrueHD bitstreaming support and stereo down conversion of the audio within the box. For times when you take the WDTV on the road and don't have access to your home theater receivers. It's size is very, very small. Very portable. I like that.

Additional Wants:
XBMC has been around awhile, with an active community around it, coming up with very high quality skins. Hopefully the same will occur for WDTV Live. Otherwise, if and when the Apple TV gets the broadcom chip hack going for it and XBMC, I think it will be a nicer alternative to these media player.

I like how with XBMC, I can open a file from a compress RAR without having to first decompress it. This is perfect to save space and time having to decompress a downloaded anime movie for instance. Plus, by keeping it in the RAR container, I can continue to seed the torrent. Not sure how XBMC can achieve this and have it done so seamlessly and snappy.

With these media player, I long for the ability to fast forward in 3sec/5sec increment with each tap of the button. I hate the traditional VCR style fast forward/rewind. That works great in the analog days when you can see the pictures quickly fly across smoothly onscreen. With with digital, it's often jerky and hard to stop it at the right moment. Especially bad in 1080P. I heard that with WDTV, if you press the fast forward/rewind and go into that interface...then the additional button press will increment the movie at set intervals. So that is a positive...albeit hidden. XBMC again got this process down with 3-4 separate ways of advancing/rewinding your movie.

Online Services Support
WDTV Live does support uPNP just fine and was able to see my Playon media server just fine. From there, I can watch online Netflix movies and Hulu content. Youtube is supported directly from WDTV. But I haven't tested to see how well it works. I also read that flickr support is built in if you go via the pictures menu.

Anyways, those are the quick thoughts. I had a more extended writeup, but Slickdeals threw up an error as soon as I hit the post. And this is all I can muster up as a rewrite.
post #513 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goba View Post

Nice! But why not use sigma 8645 has this chip is more powerfull and recomended for Media players... Popcorn C200 uses sigma 8645! The Sigma 8655 was made for IPTV boxes...

And how about the WD TV 1? When will we have a decent firmware? The last one broke the 1080p 24Hz option again...

Big issue for me: 8645 decodes HD audio, and has enough memory capacity to handle BR;

8655 does neither
post #514 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Agreed. They should supply a list of the models that will work, since the drivers
embedded in the device can only be used by certain ones. I have a DLink DW-140 that works.

Here are the USB Adapters that we've tested: Ralink based

Manufacturer Model # Device Name
Belkin F5D8055 N1 Wireless USB adapter
Belkin F5D8051 N1 Wireless USB adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Mini
D-Link DWA-140 Rangebooster N USB Adapter
EnGenius EUB-9701 Wireless N adapter
Linksys WUSB100 Rangeplus wireless network usb adapter
Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB network adapter with dual-band
Trendnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB adapter
Trendnet TEW-645UB Wireless N USB adapter
Trendnet TEW-664UB 300Mbps Dual Band WirelessN USB Adapter
Sitecom WL-329 Wireless Dualband USB Adapter
post #515 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryoon View Post

WDTV Live plays a stream of 1080P very nicely and beautifully. It upconverts my 480P material just as beautifully. However, I am not sure why there is stuttering during panning scenes when my aging Xbox with XBMC renders it perfectly smooth. I am thinking it's the upconversion process, but have to look into this a bit more. This is probably the biggest disappointment I have so far with WDTV Live.

Do you have the option to not upconvert the source material? And if so, does that solve the problem? I too am looking for a replacement for my aging and deathbed ridden xbox, but none of the players I found work as nice. The xbox can only output up to 1080i and does not upconvert if I am correct, so if there is an option to leave at 480p shouldn't it look the same?
post #516 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got mine from local Best Buy for $99.99.

Sweet - they had one column of both WDTV 1 & 2 stacked up and labeled 99.99 on the shelf. It rang up at the register for $139, I mentioned the shelf label, he walked back to the wrong dept, I caught him and took him over to the shelf, he knelt down and did a quick visual check and assumed they were all the same and pricematched for me to $99. Mgr asked him if he looked up a ticket or something for it and he fibbed and said "yeah".

Happy Birthday to me

On another note - are they freaking kidding with the length of the component cable? Do they not realize that a lot of us are using component because it's all we've got on a older CRT RPTV? The cable won't even reach halfway down from the top where I'll put the box to the hookups at the bottom.

Guess I need to pick up a 3.5mm (or whatever it is) extension cable of some sort - anybody got guesses if that will fubar the video signal?
post #517 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurob12 View Post

is the ethernet gigabit?

No.
post #518 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 AM

How does the WDTV2 compare to the CinemaTube? Which one comes out on top?
post #519 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWD View Post

Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Mini

Thank you very much for info
post #520 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 AM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post

On another note - are they freaking kidding with the length of the component cable? Do they not realize that a lot of us are using component because it's all we've got on a older CRT RPTV? The cable won't even reach halfway down from the top where I'll put the box to the hookups at the bottom.

Guess I need to pick up a 3.5mm (or whatever it is) extension cable of some sort - anybody got guesses if that will fubar the video signal?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

post #521 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Yeah, that is probably a better idea, since I have extra component cables laying around and know that extender will work.
post #522 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkd View Post

Do you have the option to not upconvert the source material? And if so, does that solve the problem? I too am looking for a replacement for my aging and deathbed ridden xbox, but none of the players I found work as nice. The xbox can only output up to 1080i and does not upconvert if I am correct, so if there is an option to leave at 480p shouldn't it look the same?

Original Xbox running xbmc up converts to 720P or 1080i just fine and has for about 5 years....

Sean
post #523 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 AM

just picked up one this morning to compare it to my pch-a110. i plugged it in and it saw my NV+ just fine, plays every video i had on there without fail.

i tried a couple of files the pch-a110 wouldn't play properly(DB bleach has issues, taka naruto wont play sound,and the new db bleach movie would lose sync when pausing or skipping forward/back). the WD live had none of these issues.

im going to give it another few days of testing but this may replace my pch-a110. the reason i chose it over the previous version was the internal drive bay and networking ability. now that i have a 6TB NAS the new WD live may be my preferred player.
post #524 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM

ScottWD,

PLEASE do us the courtesy of addressing the issue of DVD ISO menu and chapter support. Granted it was never a feature officially offered by the original box and the ability to play an ISO at all was perhaps a happy accident. Still, with that ability and several tantalizing tidbits along the way, a lot of us have held on ever since hoping for full DVD capability. We've hung with WD all this time and now see the introduction of new models. I believe in loyalty and would like to stay with the WD product line, but I think it only fair that our loyalty is recognized with either a "quite likely" or "not in the cards" answer so that we can either keep waiting or move on to other solutions. After being as high as #6 or #7 I now see that the request for DVD ISO support is totally missing from the uservoice page so perhaps that is our answer.

Thanks
post #525 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 AM

If I want to get fan art for thumbnails so I can see the movie art deisplayed....how do I do that? Where do I get thumbnails for TV shows and Movies and when I dowload these images, do I have to resize them to a particular size in order for the WD T Live to post them. I know I have to name the picture the same thing as the filename of the movie bust just change the extension (sample.mkv for movie and sample.jpg for thumbnail poster). Any help please as I would like to do this. Much appreciated.
post #526 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleu View Post

I have the information from WD that DVD menus support for both players will come in next fw update very soon.

Would love to see that got any type of proof. I mean where did you even hear this news?
post #527 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Big issue for me: 8645 decodes HD audio, and has enough memory capacity to handle BR;

8655 does neither

complete BS, the only dif between 8655 and 8644 is the chip clcok speed of 555 vs 667 mhz, and that the 44 series can have a front display, They both support can be used for blu ray palyers and have support for plenty of memory.

Actully I think Sigma did not know what to use thier chips for when they invented them in the first place, that why you see some many diff end prodcut applications on thier homepage, when the 8644/50 series were developed Sigma did not know that this media player market took of so fast, they had only thought about IPTV settop boxes and trad. Blu-ray players. YOu see in thier investors calls brief that they first mentions the catagory for media players in Q1 2009 and forward, before it was never mentioned.
post #528 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM

I notice that there seems to be an over-saturation in color and blooming when displaying the covers for the thumbnails compared to the first WDTV player. Does anyone else seem to have this issue?
post #529 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 AM

I can see my Queues in Netflix and Hulu with PlayOn, but when I click to play, the screen goes black acting like it's fixing to play but never does. The screen just stays black. Any ideas? I'm new to Playon....
post #530 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWD View Post

Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Mini

Thanks!

I wanted to pickup a dual band adapter. I you folks here don't mind buying a refurb, you can get the WUSB600N from buy.com for $29 an change w/free shipping. Don't forget to use Bing cash back for an additional 4-7% savings.
post #531 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1995 View Post

If I want to get fan art for thumbnails so I can see the movie art deisplayed....how do I do that? Where do I get thumbnails for TV shows and Movies and when I dowload these images, do I have to resize them to a particular size in order for the WD T Live to post them. I know I have to name the picture the same thing as the filename of the movie bust just change the extension (sample.mkv for movie and sample.jpg for thumbnail poster). Any help please as I would like to do this. Much appreciated.

There are tons of Media Managers available, but I am not sure which one works best with the WDTV. I use Media Info Plus for my XBMC, hopefully they handle folder thumbnails similarly.
post #532 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylfoot View Post

I can see my Queues in Netflix and Hulu with PlayOn, but when I click to play, the screen goes black acting like it's fixing to play but never does. The screen just stays black. Any ideas? I'm new to Playon....

PlayOn is really picky and doesn't fail very gracefully. Try rebooting the server. If a video fails to play, wait 20 seconds and try again.
post #533 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 AM

Does anyone know if the WDTV live can be configured to connect to hidden shares. My media files are shared has hidden shares on windows server 2003.
post #534 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1995 View Post

Google Images can find them, just type in the movie name. I resize them to about 150 X 180 pix (using Irfanview)& they display properly.
post #535 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 AM

So being as it does youtube can it do youtube HD videos? Many anime companys are starting to upload HD video so this would be great if it can do youtube HD.
post #536 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider2k View Post

just picked up one this morning to compare it to my pch-a110. i plugged it in and it saw my NV+ just fine, plays every video i had on there without fail.

i tried a couple of files the pch-a110 wouldn't play properly(DB bleach has issues, taka naruto wont play sound,and the new db bleach movie would lose sync when pausing or skipping forward/back). the WD live had none of these issues.

im going to give it another few days of testing but this may replace my pch-a110. the reason i chose it over the previous version was the internal drive bay and networking ability. now that i have a 6TB NAS the new WD live may be my preferred player.

This is what I like to see.
post #537 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Stopped in BB today and after a quick price match for the online price brought one home. Took all of 2 min to get connected to the server with all the MKV's and I tested about a dozen files. Then tried out YouTube and it worked just fine.

This device would be just perfect for Netflix, hopefully there will be an update as all the pieces seem to be there. (Netflix's CEO has said he wants to be on EVERY device in the future)

Its a hell of a lot faster than my two network media tanks I bought last year.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #538 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

Stopped in BB today and after a quick price match for the online price brought one home. Took all of 2 min to get connected to the server with all the MKV's and I tested about a dozen files. Then tried out YouTube and it worked just fine.

This device would be just perfect for Netflix, hopefully there will be an update as all the pieces seem to be there. (Netflix's CEO has said he wants to be on EVERY device in the future)

Its a hell of a lot faster than my two network media tanks I bought last year.

Did you try any HD youtube videos?
post #539 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryoon View Post

The Hardware:
Apparently, via the AVS Forum, an employee of WD, Scott said that WDTV has 512MB flash for ROM and 512MB of RAM. That's a huge deal as it can potentially allow for a community of modders to extend the device. The 32MB or so was a limitation for the old WDTV that prevented the modding community to really take off. [snip]

Additional Wants:
XBMC has been around awhile, with an active community around it, coming up with very high quality skins. Hopefully the same will occur for WDTV Live. Otherwise, if and when the Apple TV gets the broadcom chip hack going for it and XBMC, I think it will be a nicer alternative to these media player.

Hmm... Since the UI of the WDTV Live looks almost the same as that of the old WDTV, I would be surprised if it needed much more ROM space than the 32MB used by the old device. So why did WD use such HUGE flash chip (about 16 times bigger than required)? It's nice if WD want to let us continue to hack their firmware, but I don't think the mods we've seen so far come anywhere near requiring 512MB.

So, I know pretty much nothing about XBMC, but is it possible that they want to allow it to run on the WDTV Live?!? Would that be at all possible?
post #540 of 7092 Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPDAWG_21 View Post

Did you try any HD youtube videos?

Damn I did not... I imagine it would look great though.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page