Forum Jump: 

post #5401 of 7092 Old 06-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoculture View Post

(1) I believe the image problems stems from the fact the WDTV caches the graphics in a hidden directory (starts with a full-stop, can't remember the name) and doesn't always refresh the cache when convenient to the user. Sometimes, rebooting the WDTV helps, other times you need to delete the contents of the hidden directory to force a refresh.

(2) Custom FW out there allows the spin-down of USB-attached drives. I personally use Brad's WDLXTV-Live FW.

Yes the hidden directory is something like /.wd_tv/thumbs/ but even deleting the entire /.wd_tv/ directory does not fix the problem for some odd reason. When I looked at the thumbs directory after the WDTV rebuilt the database it only had some of the thumbnails and not others. Weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 7092 Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Pretty sure everyone including B-Rad said they would never add it becuase of the chip or license restrictions or something as well, plus WD wanting to sell you a new and improved unit.

Right, and could this have something to do with the fact that WD refused to comment on each and every request concerning this matter?

Quote:

Well I don't want to convert the ISO to anything else

Why would you? They run just fine.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5403 of 7092 Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yep, so far they have except when I was trying to play some BD ISO's over the network, now they all play fine even from a shared folder though.
After seeing the menu's play properly from the regular DVD ISO's it is a nice feature but I wont waste time just to get them to work with BD. If I wanted to do that I could just burn everything to AVCHD on DVD but that's mainly why I got this thing. Now I don't have to burn everything to disk just to watch it on my main TV
As far as not commenting maybe they didn't want to promise something that they may not have delivered and have a really pissed off bunch of users after they claim it would be added. I've grown used to all kinds of products and companies claiming things didn't work that do, and things not working they claim do as well so I tend to go in with a open mind and see what happens and if I'm happy with what I get.
post #5404 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 AM

Does the new WDTV display the meta data (cover art and movie description) inside an MP4 file?
post #5405 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

What's even more annoying with the new beta is: contrary to my Fritzbox media server I can't access any shares on my XP Pro PC which still are available on 1.02.21 as confirmed by a quick downgrade.

Seems they have started to enforced the workgroup name, could that be your problem with the shares?

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #5406 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Haha, they have added partial support for USB keyboards in the prerelease.

Not all keys are mapped, like "option" so you can't enter non american letters when searching YouTube without reaching for the remote.

Also works with wireless keyboards.

Only thing we need is to be able to defined which keys does what - like say F6 to play

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #5407 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Well if I knew what either of those was I'd tell you but I've seen it transfer up to about 10MB/s when I was watching it do a file transfer, before that it was lucky to get 1.
Avatar used to stutter like crazy in the very beginning and some other very busy scenes and lately it just plays smooth so there may be a more to it then just a reboot but for whatever reason it's played smooth lately. Let me know what I need to look for and I'll check it out for you.

then you are the LUCKY one. for me BD iso is always the problem. and in fact, if I extract the ISO file and just play the largest m2ts file then it will play smooth. However no matter what I do, it won't play smooth for ISO files. so now I kind believe it is not the network issue but the WDTV live has some problem to extract the content of the iso file. either not extracting fast enough or some other issues related to ISO format.

as for the Avatar, I have a 39GB MKV BD rip file with DTS-MA audio (obvious I only get the Core) with no compression at all. it stuttered a bit if I use SMB network share. for example at 1 hour 42 mins, the big Tree fall down scene with explosion and smokes, the movie will stutter a bit (like 1 to 2 seconds then go on without stutter anymore). However, it is nothing compare to playing a BD iso file which is totally unwatchable, when this MKV file is Watchable but not perfect. NFS solves this problem.
post #5408 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got my WDtv live and i have problems from the get go.

First the power pack is no good new out of the box the supply is no good. Had to use the original WDtv supply. Then it wont boot using the componet video i had to hook up HDMI just to get an image befor ei could change it.

Now the video skips, plug the drive back into the original WDtv and no problems.

The HDMI quality of the live looks over driven or somthing its not near as sharp and crisp as the original using the HDMI. I change to the 12bit but it didnt seem to matter.

Did we sacrifice image quality for features?

Came up here to download the update but right out of the box im not to happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #5409 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow i cant believe they went and ruined a good thing. I gained a few different connections but gave up the compatability the old box had.

I watched 3 different movies 2 of them skipped on the new box but played fine on the old one.

After the update nothing changed.

I like how the new one atleast turns the drive off when the unit shuts down but if only 1 out of every 3 of my videos plays consistantly whats the point?

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #5410 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 PM

What is the easiest way to get DVD's into ISO's? I'm finally going to start copying my DVD collection to my hard drive and with the new DVD menu support, ISO's seem the way to go? I've read the whole 181 page thread but can't remember where I saw it discussed. Google searching looked like DVDFab+ImgBurn would do the trick.
post #5411 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM

What is the easiest way to get DVD's into ISO's?

Slysoft AnyDVD for Windows. Awesome program.
post #5412 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixDown View Post

What is the easiest way to get DVD's into ISO's?

Slysoft AnyDVD for Windows. Awesome program.

Thank you.

If I wanted to also copy my blu-rays to the hard drive I assume AnyDVD HD would be the way to go? I had planned to use MakeMkv for blu-ray since blu-ray iso's aren't supported by the WD Live
post #5413 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

Wow i cant believe they went and ruined a good thing. I gained a few different connections but gave up the compatability the old box had.

I watched 3 different movies 2 of them skipped on the new box but played fine on the old one.

After the update nothing changed.

I like how the new one atleast turns the drive off when the unit shuts down but if only 1 out of every 3 of my videos plays consistantly whats the point?

update your firmware. I have a hard time believing you can't play videos when it plays EVERYTHING I throw at it. Stop using crap like twonky or tversity if you are.

simply put: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
post #5414 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post

Seems they have started to enforced the workgroup name, could that be your problem with the shares?

Thought about that too and adjusted the workgroup name but to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerps View Post

Google searching looked like DVDFab+ImgBurn would do the trick.

Yep.

Tech Flaws
post #5415 of 7092 Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestinger View Post

update your firmware. I have a hard time believing you can't play videos when it plays EVERYTHING I throw at it. Stop using crap like twonky or tversity if you are.

simply put: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

I did update it and nothing changed.

The funny thing about your "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" comment is why do they all work on my WDtv V1?

I have them both sitting here side by side and i switched back and forth between the 2 and the original one plays them fine.

Im not sure what twonky or tversity is, im ripping my own media files. I have over 400 movies total on both 1TB drives and they are all working fine on my V1 unit.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #5416 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:

What is the easiest way to get DVD's into ISO's? ..... Google searching looked like DVDFab+ImgBurn would do the trick.

Quote:

If I wanted to also copy my blu-rays to the hard drive I assume AnyDVD HD would be the way to go? I had planned to use MakeMkv for blu-ray since blu-ray iso's aren't supported by the WD Live

Yes, AnyDVD HD would be needed for Blu-ray. DVDFab also has a Blu-ray version of their software.

If you do use DVDFab, it can rip to ISO, no need for Imageburn unless you want to burn the ISO back to a DVD. Imageburn is a free program though and it is handy to have anyway.

EDIT: I was speaking of the licensed version of DVDFab. It looks like they have a free version that probably rips the VIDEO_TS folder, which then would have to turned into an ISO using Imageburn.
post #5417 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoculture View Post

(now, if only there was an easy way to not only rip the DVDs but rip out those annoying adverts/FBI warning/MPAA "you're a potential thief" segments. ^+^ Homework for this weekend.)

That's the beauty of not using DVD menus and just ripping the material you actually want.

You lose the "don't be a pirate message" , which is kind of insulting when you are ripping your own DVD, and you don't take all the useless fluff which you are not interested in.

I don't even bother with MakeMKV etc I just place the required VOBs in an appropriate directory and I am done.

I think the DVD menu function must be useful for those who have already committed a lot of time to ripping the entire disc but it is not very useful to me.

Nice to see WD developing the firmware a little more though eh?

Regards,

Lt. Dang

It's life Jim..... But not as we know it.
post #5418 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:

I did update it and nothing changed.

The funny thing about your "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" comment is why do they all work on my WDtv V1?

I have them both sitting here side by side and i switched back and forth between the 2 and the original one plays them fine.

Im not sure what twonky or tversity is, im ripping my own media files. I have over 400 movies total on both 1TB drives and they are all working fine on my V1 unit.

I have thousands of files I personally did NOT rip, which work fine.

For the few caveats the system has, its worth every penny. If you're doing something stupid like trying to play MP4 directly, wrap them as mkvs.
post #5419 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 06:56 AM

I received my Live box 1 week ago, had no word of a PLUS coming out am I disappointed ??? Not one bit.

For $ 100.00 the live is a bargain and with a few tweaks of 3rd party firmware this unit is fantastic. I have not had any issues what so ever that others are moaning about.

Using the following:
B-RAD 0.4.2.0
psychothc_mod_06_0.osd.bin (OSD mod)
ThumbGen (movie sheets etc.)

Hardware setup:
Server: old P2 PC running "FreeNAS" with both internal and USB external
hard drives (Network Asset Storage). Works both Wireless and
hardwired to router.

Router: Linksys Wrt-54g-TM flashed with DD-WRT connected
wireless to another Wrt-54g in another part of the house

I have the LIVE connected Via HDMI to my Yahama Receiver (5.1)then to my Samsung LCD.

The Live sees all my Network shares not only on the FreeNAS server but also on my various PC's throught the house via wireless link (WRT-54g-TM etc.).

So far it has not skipped a beat and has played everything I have thrown at it with impressive results both video and audio. It's the best $ 100.00 I have spent on my HT system. Am I disappointed I did not know about the PLUS and had the chance to purchase it in place of the LIVE ? not at all, I can live without NETFLIX.

There is so much more that can be done with these boxes running Linux for hackers to explore.
post #5420 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 AM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hot damn! The menus with the new firmware made my day. No more MKV nonsense!

Anyone buying this item (or the plus) is getting a really decent feature set.

I had honestly given up on the menu feature request, but damn...here it is.

Someone should start a new thread to make this beta build more visible.
post #5421 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 AM

I checked out a few posts via search but still a bit confused...

If I want to use something like Thumbgen do I also need a custom firmware set like B-Rad's?

TIA

Xbox Live GamerTag: SpectreOne3
post #5422 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 View Post

I checked out a few posts via search but still a bit confused...

If I want to use something like Thumbgen do I also need a custom firmware set like B-Rad's?

TIA

If you just want thumbnails, you don't need B-rad's firmware.
If you want moviesheets too, you need B-rad's firmware.
post #5423 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestinger View Post

I have thousands of files I personally did NOT rip, which work fine.

For the few caveats the system has, its worth every penny. If you're doing something stupid like trying to play MP4 directly, wrap them as mkvs.

Well i started back this time last year with the V1 using 1 click dvd copy pro. I ripped the movies so if i decided to later burn them i could after ripping 300 some of my movies and my DVD rom is about shot why all the sudden my files have issues on the new unit. If i knew they were going to have problems in time i wouldnt of wasted weeks ripping my movies i would of stopped and used a different program/container.

The 1 click rips them into VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder

Im going to try one more optio before i send it back. My new 2TB drive is USB 2.0 maybe its a faster communication port and it will help? If not ill send it back and just stick with my trusty V1

I could i guess also start a new collection for the live and use a different program and container for just the live. I really dont want to have to do that though.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #5424 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dang View Post

I think the DVD menu function must be useful for those who have already committed a lot of time to ripping the entire disc but it is not very useful to me.

Don't forget about the discs that are really menu driven, such as sports (not movie sports, of course!)
post #5425 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ISO's seem the way to go?

For DVDs, what makes you believe that?
post #5426 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post

With the beta firmware DVD menus are usable. My wife lives and dies for the extras on the discs. If she can use the menu and watch extras on the rips, then I can store the DVDs instead of having them take up all the room on racks.
post #5427 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post

Previous experience. And having one file beats having to go down one folder.

Tech Flaws
post #5428 of 7092 Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Am i the only one who has the live who rips to VOB files?

maybe i could get a custom update that has the same VOB codec as the V1 but for the live?

Would that work?

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #5429 of 7092 Old 06-13-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Am i the only one who has the live who rips to VOB files?

maybe i could get a custom update that has the same VOB codec as the V1 but for the live?

Would that work?

Nope. I only rip to Video_TS folders as just about anything works native with it (even 7MC, which I don't use) and menus still work fine.

I don't understand the codec comment???
post #5430 of 7092 Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 AM

For DVD menus, both .ISO and folder structure work:
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?...52040#msg52040
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page