Western Digital - WD TV Live Media Player (WDTV2) - Page 184 - AVS Forum
First ... 182  183  184 185  186  ... Last
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Western Digital - WD TV Live Media Player (WDTV2)
cmberry20's Avatar cmberry20 02:06 PM 06-24-2010
Quote:

Telnet or FTP into the WDTV

eh?

how do you do this?

cmberry20's Avatar cmberry20 02:38 PM 06-24-2010
ok, some success.

Found the ip of the WDTV live play.

When in. Went to file management, went into the conf directory. Noticed that there was no S00user-script file, created file & copied & pasted the config text from previous link. Saved & Exited.

Now, the moviesheet appears - but only when the film is on a pendrive.
The moviesheets do not work when i view the folders over Network shares.

So, is there a way of enabling moviesheets over Network shares?

edit. ok, some moviesheets on the network share seem to work - sort of.
When i highlight the folder (which contains the movie), the moviesheet appears -Good!
However, when i enter the folder the i dont get the movie sheet unless i select the mkv file, this is because i see all the jpgs which i dont normally see when using the pendrive.
mbryanr's Avatar mbryanr 03:11 PM 06-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmberry20 View Post

ok, some success.

Found the ip of the WDTV live play.

When in. Went to file management, went into the conf directory. Noticed that there was no S00user-script file, created file & copied & pasted the config text from previous link. Saved & Exited.

Now, the moviesheet appears - but only when the film is on a pendrive.
The moviesheets do not work when i view the folders over Network shares.

So, is there a way of enabling moviesheets over Network shares?

edit. ok, some moviesheets on the network share seem to work - sort of.
When i highlight the folder (which contains the movie), the moviesheet appears -Good!
However, when i enter the folder the i dont get the movie sheet unless i select the mkv file, this is because i see all the jpgs which i dont normally see when using the pendrive.

I use mine over Network Shares and DLNA (from a Syno 210j).

Are you using "Sheet mode"? (this shows folders on the bottom of the screen); I use the S00 custom-options file provided with the b-rad firmware. You should be okay since you copied the code into your S00 user script file.

Thumbnail view must be on
"Show filesize setting" in options OFF

scrolling my share folders shows the individual moviesheet. I don't recall if I see the moviesheet if I enter each folder

(WDTV has a bug that shows all media from network shares, but not from local drives). DLNA does not have this same issue.
arswhat's Avatar arswhat 03:37 PM 06-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

"We know now it was not a licensing issue as claimed here repeatedly but one where the chip has flaws/limits not present in the competition, causing it to be overwhelmed by basic DVD function"

We do? Did I miss any official statement on this or do you derive it from the fact that current users don't have to pay additional (licensing) money to unlock this feature in a coming firmware? Cause from what I've read so far Sigma chips are usually considered to be top notch.

No we don't know this. What we do know (from day one) is that the Sigma chip in the live can do DVD Menus. We also know they would have to pay a license fee if they wanted to do it. But since WD is more tight lipped than Chinas communist party about future plans we had no idea if they had paid for this and was planning to add DVD menus. Apparently they had.

Not sure I wouldn't have preferred them not adding it, now i have to see all those damn animated menus and forced intros.
cmberry20's Avatar cmberry20 03:47 PM 06-24-2010
ok, i'm about to give up on this because its getting beyond a joke just to configuring this b1tch!

Right, tried the 'Linksheet' fix, couldnt get it to see my PC.

Then i thought about give 'net mounts' a try. I entered all the stuff into the 'conf' folder on my WDTVL.
At first it didnt work, then i found out that the player NEEDS a USB pendrive in it for net mounts to work. I did not want to do this!!!
After this all seem quite well & movie sheets were appearing ok.
But i reset my player & now, when i enter a net mount folder, it says that it contains No Media. It worked bloody fine 10 seconds ago!!!

Grrrrr
SoNic67's Avatar SoNic67 01:53 PM 06-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post

Not sure I wouldn't have preferred them not adding it, now i have to see all those damn animated menus and forced intros.

I did oppose the idea from the beginning. DVD menus are worthless regardless (even on disc), but people start bitching about them because didn't have nothing better to think about.
I said that developing software for that stupid "DVD menus" will detour human resources from real issues but nobody cared. Now you have the results - more things where broken on the way, but hey, who cares, now they have those ridiculous menus...
scratchie's Avatar scratchie 02:17 PM 06-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

I did oppose the idea from the beginning. DVD menus are worthless regardless (even on disc), but people start bitching about them because didn't have nothing better to think about.
I said that developing software for that stupid "DVD menus" will detour human resources from real issues but nobody cared. Now you have the results - more things where broken on the way, but hey, who cares, now they have those ridiculous menus...

Yeah, it's too bad that implementing a standard feature taxed the WDTV development team to the point where they couldn't get their important work done.
danny_w's Avatar danny_w 06:40 PM 06-25-2010
Quote:

Worthless to YOU maybe, but not to a lot of us. I want them mainly for tv episode discs, where I don't want to have to rip every episode into a different file and label each one. Menus are great for this, and are by far the best solution IMHO. I agree though that they should have given us the option to play the menu or just the VOB like other players do.
Dartman's Avatar Dartman 10:39 PM 06-25-2010
The menu support is nice, now I can watch the extras easily if I want to but I miss all the extras B-Rad added so hope he does a new version.
I can get rid of all the forced crap if I rip the ISO with the right setup as I'm sure many of you know.
techflaws's Avatar techflaws 10:52 PM 06-25-2010
Quote:

I did oppose the idea from the beginning. DVD menus are worthless regardless (even on disc)

Like people said they're not for episodic discs cause even if you re-author such a disc without menu with DVD Shrink, the LIVE can only access the largest title without menu support.
chits007's Avatar chits007 01:33 PM 06-26-2010
Hi,

I have issue with latest WDLXTV firmware, I have a Belkin unpowered USB HUB.
Now I have connected couple of 4 GB flash drive ; the mount is shown
/tmp/media/usb/USB1
/tmp/media/usb/FLASH2

and if I connect any other HDD (powered one) to HUB , USB Sticks are mounted in a different way
i.e.
/tmp/media/usb/USB1 (500 GB powered Drive)
/tmp/media/usb/FLASH1
/tmp/media/usb/FLASH2

problem with this type of configuration is , I cant configure deluge for auto_start/auto_add_downlocation.
Every time path keep changing.

Is their a way I can fix the mount point for a particular flash drive. Huh
I have a 32 GB stick(connected to USB HUB)
and want deluge to load torrents & download_location from that drive.

Any suggestion ? I am using b-rad custom firmware.
techflaws's Avatar techflaws 11:00 PM 06-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chits007 View Post

Any suggestion ?

You might get help faster in the appropriate forums.
DrDon's Avatar DrDon 06:31 AM 06-27-2010
Bickering posts deleted and, as promised, offending members have lost posting privileges in this thread.

Keep it civil, stop attacking other members and remain on topic please.

CORRECT: "I have attempted the methods you have outlined and, for some reason, I cannot get them to work."

WRONG: "U didn't rEAd mY pOSt, twurp so I R underline it 4 U, LOLZ!!!111"
Logon2008's Avatar Logon2008 10:24 AM 06-27-2010
Just wanted to report my short experience with both Live and Plus. For a short period of time I'll have both because I purchased Plus as a a wedding gift and wedding will be in two weeks :-). Yesterday I ran one mkv file on my Live (current firmware but not last beta) over the wired network and playback had mild audio stagger approximately every 30-40 seconds. Still watchable but very unpleasant. I replaced Live with Plus... wow, lo and behold, no stagger. Played the same file from attached USB drive, Live staggers, Plus audio payback is smooth.
jakmal's Avatar jakmal 02:12 PM 06-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logon2008 View Post

Just wanted to report my short experience with both Live and Plus. For a short period of time I'll have both because I purchased Plus as a a wedding gift and wedding will be in two weeks :-). Yesterday I ran one mkv file on my Live (current firmware but not last beta) over the wired network and playback had mild audio stagger approximately every 30-40 seconds. Still watchable but very unpleasant. I replaced Live with Plus... wow, lo and behold, no stagger. Played the same file from attached USB drive, Live staggers, Plus audio payback is smooth.

Logon2008, Can you let me know the name of the file (maybe I can find it on the net and test out myself), or can you upload a sample from it? I am trying to evaluate various media players, particularly with files they have trouble playing. So, this would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Logon2008's Avatar Logon2008 05:59 PM 06-27-2010
That was Coco avant Chanel (Coco Before Chanel). Not sure where to find exactly this file because my file has multiple international sound tracks in addition to French.
techflaws's Avatar techflaws 10:58 PM 06-27-2010
Posting the output from mediainfo inside code-tags could hint at the problem.
BowerR64's Avatar BowerR64 11:17 PM 06-28-2010
I reripped the movie i was having issues with on my live. Anyone else have a 4:3 version of the 80s movies grease?

After i reripped it i can see what starts my issues. The begining of the movie is in 4:3 full screen there is just a short clip at the begining then the credits start with the grease theme song and the image goes into a mode with lines at the top and the sides. This screen size change i think is the issue.

The V1 is still rock solid when it changes from the different screen sizes.
arswhat's Avatar arswhat 04:17 PM 06-29-2010
Quote:

Now it would be interesting if you tried upgrading the Live to the beta software and see how it behaved.
It is possible they have increased the buffer used for buffering stuff via the network.

How is your network speed otherwise? Sometimes if people have stepped on the cables it can make transmission slower.
leiff's Avatar leiff 05:33 PM 06-29-2010
Up until now I've only used usb hardrive for movie playback on my WDLIVE but I'd like to try hard wired networking to my PC via my router instead.

How stable/unstable is netorking playback VS. usb mass storage? Will video playback be just as smooth? Can I first try networking with stock firmware and see how that works? I tried updating firmware awhile back for this device but it seemed to make video playback less smooth so I reverted to stock firmware. I don't care about any interactive online features and the update notes didn't seem to contain anything critical for me. It will be used exclusively for 1080p mkv's.
**IMPORTANT**
Will the PC that is serving the WDLIVE be able to enter sleep mode automatically after WDLIVE is turned off?
Will I be able to keep my torrent client running on my PC while streaming to WDLIVE? My torrent program won't be downloading but I need it to be uploading. Will this effect WDLIVE streaming?
Can someone link me to to step by step directions on how to setup WDLIVE to my network? Thanks!
mbryanr's Avatar mbryanr 06:21 PM 06-29-2010
Quote:

Sounds good if they copy the change over to the Live...frustrating to try to play some BR files, particularly over the network.
Nogib's Avatar Nogib 12:27 PM 06-30-2010
Does anyone know how to get Windows network shares and the WDTV Live to behave when using the new Windows Live Essentials 2011 (15.x) beta?

Previously with Windows Live Essentials 2009 (14.x), a simple uninstall of the Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant corrected any problems accessing shares on my Windows 7 systems. But with the new beta of version 15, there is no such item to uninstall. I've even tried with only the Windows Live Messenger component installed and no other parts or pieces and instantly I can no longer access shares from the WDTV Live. Uninstalling it completely restores functionality.

So is there a workaround? This problem will become much more prevalent once Microsoft finishes the final version in the next few months. I'm not sure how to scream and wave my arms in the air to get WD to notice and address this either for they should have been able to fix the well known Sign-In Assistant problems by now as it is.
aero12's Avatar aero12 08:58 AM 07-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post

Yeah, it's too bad that implementing a standard feature taxed the WDTV development team to the point where they couldn't get their important work done.

Lol, I agree with your sarcasm. This was the single biggest user complaint and the only important fix. I don't think it taxed them much since they know they could not have the new model compete without DVD menu.

But it did put to rest the silly claim that it was a licensing issue. there is no licensing issue

Quote:

Two people opposed it and hundreds wanted it. hmmm.
And once again, the issue had to do with more than top demanded WD TV buyer's needed features like menus: it had also to do with the WD being one fo the few in the market that could not recognize the single most widely used video standard in the world for forced subtitles, chapter marks, default audio streams etc! Now it will.

As you have told others here: if you don't like it why not just keep the old firmware?
polluxmr2's Avatar polluxmr2 08:39 AM 07-02-2010
I have a few technical questions about the WD TV live media player. First, a little context. We are looking to hook one of these up to a TV at each of our plants to basically loop a health and safety message video ( don't stick your hand in a machine that is on, if you aren't sure if its on or not, assume its still on, that sort of thing ). each building has a different subnet.

1). can these stream/access media from a subnet that is different than the one the device is on?

2). what kind of management does this have? is there a web interface i can use to select what media to play? or do i have to rely on the remote completely?

3). can you think of any other products that may be more what I am looking for if the answer to 1 and 2 is no and no management console.
uwansumadis's Avatar uwansumadis 10:00 AM 07-02-2010
I have two questions. I have deleted some material in My Videos on my computer, but a thumbnail still shows on the WDTV. Is there a way to refresh the search that the player does to the PC? Or delete the cache that may have the deleted material saved?

Also, no matter how I try, I cannot get the WDTV to show thumbnails of cover art for my movies. I have created a folder, lets say "Braveheart". Then I placed the ISO file in that folder and named it "Braveheart". I also placed a JPG file in the same folder and named it "Braveheart". I have also tried naming the folders "Braveheart.iso" and "Braveheart.jpg" and neither way seems to work. I have tried accessing with the PC under "media server" and "network shares" and it doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
palehorse's Avatar palehorse 10:05 AM 07-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwansumadis View Post

I have two questions. I have deleted some material in My Videos on my computer, but a thumbnail still shows on the WDTV. Is there a way to refresh the search that the player does to the PC? Or delete the cache that may have the deleted material saved?

Also, no matter how I try, I cannot get the WDTV to show thumbnails of cover art for my movies. I have created a folder, lets say "Braveheart". Then I placed the ISO file in that folder and named it "Braveheart". I also placed a JPG file in the same folder and named it "Braveheart". I have also tried naming the folders "Braveheart.iso" and "Braveheart.jpg" and neither way seems to work. I have tried accessing with the PC under "media server" and "network shares" and it doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should take a look at custom firmware and moviesheets to get the whole covert/backdrop/metadata experience.
uwansumadis's Avatar uwansumadis 07:59 PM 07-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

You should take a look at custom firmware and moviesheets to get the whole covert/backdrop/metadata experience.

I looks like I would need to flash the WDLXTV firmware? Looking at the B_RAD site, it doesn't work on the WDTV HD Gen2. How do I tell which version I have?
Morbeas's Avatar Morbeas 08:04 PM 07-02-2010
Quote:

Name it "folder.jpg".
palehorse's Avatar palehorse 10:02 PM 07-02-2010
Quote:

I looks like I would need to flash the WDLXTV firmware? Looking at the B_RAD site, it doesn't work on the WDTV HD Gen2. How do I tell which version I have?

AFAIK, it works on everything except the "plus" right now, but I could be wrong...?
zetaprime's Avatar zetaprime 11:44 PM 07-02-2010
There are 2 things the WDTV Live needs:

1 - A faster way to move through videos. The Fastforward function is way too slow.

2 - A way to search on network shares, along the lines of the search function that works in shared media.

These fixes would really make a huge difference in the usability of the device.
First ... 182  183  184 185  186  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop