Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Meero:. View Post

Hmm... Since the UI of the WDTV Live looks almost the same as that of the old WDTV, I would be surprised if it needed much more ROM space than the 32MB used by the old device. So why did WD use such HUGE flash chip (about 16 times bigger than required)? It's nice if WD want to let us continue to hack their firmware, but I don't think the mods we've seen so far come anywhere near requiring 512MB.

So, I know pretty much nothing about XBMC, but is it possible that they want to allow it to run on the WDTV Live?!? Would that be at all possible?

Well, I think the additional space is for future development. The mods we have seen thus far for the original WDTV was limited because the firmware itself took much of the 32MB available. I can't wait to see what's will come now that space is no longer a limitation so to speak.

Unfortunately, as far as I know...XBMC was developed for Intel based cpu. So, unless someone rewrites it for the Sigma chipset in the WDTV, I don't think we'll see a port of XBMC as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

Damn I did not... I imagine it would look great though.

Damn to bad I want to know if it will run HD youtube well if it does that may import one to Canada from the States.
post #543 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryoon View Post

Well, I think the additional space is for future development. The mods we have seen thus far for the original WDTV was limited because the firmware itself took much of the 32MB available. I can't wait to see what's will come now that space is no longer a limitation so to speak.

Unfortunately, as far as I know...XBMC was developed for Intel based cpu. So, unless someone rewrites it for the Sigma chipset in the WDTV, I don't think we'll see a port of XBMC as it is.

It might have also been cheaper to go with the higher capacity chip, NAND Flash Chips are getting harder to find under 128Mb.
post #544 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWD View Post

Here are the USB Adapters that we've tested: Ralink based

Thank you Scott!
post #545 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Someone previously asked about Blu-ray .iso files. I had already posted that I can play Blu-ray .iso files, but this is main movie only (multiple audio tracks). So I can't comment on menu support (I'm guessing it can't do that).

I previously reported that streaming my 40GB Blu-ray .iso file across my 100Mbps network did not work well. I got stuttering after a few seconds. Unwatchable. I just tried connecting my external hard drive directly to the WDTV Live, and it plays it fine that way, but I'd like to hear from others who may have had success streaming a full rip (no added compression) .iso file. Or, if they've been successful in doing so once converting the video to another format (but still with no added compression).

Also, just to point out again...it has been reported that the WDTV Live will bitstream Dolby TrueHD, but I have seen that it will not downconvert that to regular Dolby Digital 5.1 or stereo on-the-fly. In my test case, the movie I ripped had one English soundtrack (Dolby TrueHD) and 2-3 other non-TrueHD soundtracks in other languages. So this is unworkable for me, as I want to rip my movie and play it in my home theater (in Dolby TrueHD), but also be able to play it in a bedroom connected directly to an LCD TV (stereo).

It has been pointed out that I can use tsMuxeR to convert the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack to DD 5.1 during ripping, but I'd ideally want to keep the original Dolby TrueHD track and also get a new downconverted track. Is that possible with tsMuxeR?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #546 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Youtube HD video works fine, and looks great. You need a lot of bandwidth for it though. Mine buffers too much on HD to be watchable, but I'm only on a 512kbps connection.
post #547 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:15 PM

No functional 24p = no sale. Confirmation needed. Shouldn't be hard for someone to confirm.

Shot in the dark, but has anyone tried an EVO file...just curious.

The 1.1x, 1.2x zoom sounds nice, as is the USB file copying feature.

Stutter-free 24p is an absolute necessity...or NO DEAL.
post #548 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 PM

Sorry to ask the same question again, but how do you get the DVD cover art to display?
post #549 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Ah thanks... I may have to try it out... So when you plugged it in, did it give you that menu that it shows on page 57, or did you have to do something else to set it up? (assuming you remember)

Don't have the manual in front of me, but IIRC, I just plugged in the USB wireless dongle, went to Setting/Network & it asks if you want to set up connection ,either wireless or not. Then it searches for any nearby networks, you find yours, select it, then type in your network security code, tell it to connect, & voila!
post #550 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post

Sorry to ask the same question again, but how do you get the DVD cover art to display?

Is your DVD in .iso format or VIDEO_TS folder format?

IF .iso, then:

Name of movie.iso
Name of movie.jpg

pic size can be around 150 X 180 pixels

I haven't figured out how to get VIDEO_TS type movie art to work.
post #551 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

No functional 24p = no sale. Confirmation needed. Shouldn't be hard for someone to confirm.

Did you notice when you were writing this that you didn't even say "please"? Do you realize others are actually reading your demands and cap yelling?
post #552 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:25 PM

Ok, just got the WD TV live and I really like it.

The menus are pretty good, with a little usability tweaking they could go from good to great.
I played bluray rips, all kinds of mkv files, music and wmv. It played everything I threw at it with a couple exceptions as noted below.

It displayed the mp3 tag info correctly as well as the album art for icons.

my complaints
It had trouble with "big trouble in little china" bluray rip, but not 20 some odd others.

It would not play an AVC1 .avi file.

The wma hd audio in wmv files was mute

The remote control is for tiny people with the hands of a 2 year old. Its not cute. Western Digital, please put in a bigger remote ASAP.
post #553 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Did they list WMA HD as being a supported format?

I dunno, I've got big ole hands, but I have no problem using the remote, actually have gotten rather used to it, even when typing in my network code & Pandora login using the virtual kybd.

I only wish they'd address the audio side of this great MEDIA player, namely adding replaygain & gapless audio support.
post #554 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 PM

A couple of questions about music playback...

Do either the Pandora or the Live 365 functions require a subscription or payment to those services?

If so, is there any other known way of getting internet radio (particularly Shoutcast)?

Does the WD TV Live have any issues shuffling a music playlist? I seem to recall reading that there were problems with that on the original WD TV.
post #555 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskino View Post

complete BS, the only dif between 8655 and 8644 is the chip clock speed of 555 vs 667 mhz, and that the 44 series can have a front display. They both support can be used for blu ray players and have support for plenty of memory.

Not quite.

8644: dual HD video decode, three audio DSPs
8655: 1.25x HD video decode, one audio DSP

8644 has what is required for full BD playback capability.

8655 cannot be used in BD players as it would never pass BDA certification.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
post #556 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Is your DVD in .iso format or VIDEO_TS folder format?

IF .iso, then:

Name of movie.iso
Name of movie.jpg

pic size can be around 150 X 180 pixels

I haven't figured out how to get VIDEO_TS type movie art to work.

Chris, thank you very much!
post #557 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Just grabbed mine at Best Buy. Had to get a price match with online to $119 but also got the 10%. Great deal.

I am going to give this a try with my WHS tonight. If it works as well as it sounds, I will be going for a second unit for the bedroom. Unfortunately that will have to be wireless.

Does anyone have their Harmony One up and running for this yet? Is there full support?
post #558 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM

very..."antiquated" question, but is it possible to have component out go "down" to 480i? sorry, i have a CRT with component inputs but all i get is flicker when i try it with component.

anyone think a simple FW update/hack could possibly "fix" this?

thanks.
post #559 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor media View Post

It would not play an AVC1 .avi file.

MPEG4 AVC/H.264 does not belong into AVI-container. Same goes for Microsofts VC-1 video. This is not really an issue or bug of the WDTV or any other hardware player.
post #560 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssly View Post

Just picked up the unit today and can confirm that TS_Video folders will play. Simply highlight the folder and select play and it will cycle thru the VOB's. Didn't give DVD menu's.

I have jpg's in the folders as well and they seem to display, but can't be certain it's displaying those jpg's or not.

I also have a few dvd ISO's and MKV's that played perfectly.

BTW, this is all over the network (powerline) not attached media.

FWIW, this unit is better than my A-110 PCH as it was too inconsistent. Anyone want to take it off my hands for a small fee?

Still no menu support for VIDEO_TS rips? What a bummer. What do you want for your A-110? At least it does VIDEO_TS with menus does it not? There seem to be very few players out there that can do it.
post #561 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingBear View Post

Just grabbed mine at Best Buy. Had to get a price match with online to $119 but also got the 10%. Great deal.

I am going to give this a try with my WHS tonight. If it works as well as it sounds, I will be going for a second unit for the bedroom. Unfortunately that will have to be wireless.

Does anyone have their Harmony One up and running for this yet? Is there full support?

I use a Harmony remote with the first WD. Download the stuff for that should work fine for this new one too I would think.
post #562 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingBear View Post

i used my harmony one for the previous version, i don't see why it wouldn't be the same.
post #563 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Liked: 14
Does this bitstream BOTH DTS-MA *and* True-HD?

If it can only do True-HD, and not DTS-MA, NO DEAL for me. It's either all or no sale. And I won't settle for 'down-mix' or 'streams only the core. Full deal, or no deal.
post #564 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

I'm going to BB after I get off of work (in about 30mins) to pickup my WDTV Live. I will be trying out an EVO file tonight. I'll post the results.
post #565 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Picked up the new WDTV Live at a local BestBuy last night.

WDTV Live is hooked up HDMI with optical cable going to my receiver for digital audio, also hooked up to the network through the wired connection.

Seemed to have no issue with playing my ripped DVD's off my network and any HD content I have tried so far, 1080P/720P h264/xvid/xbox 360 wmv with and without DTS. Hoping for modifications to be able to be made to this device so I can pre-populate specific shares off the menu instead of having to navigate. XBMC spoils you..

Potential issues I have had so far:

Lockups when playing video, a video will be playing and it just stops with audio. Hit stop on the remote go back to play and it will ask if I want to resume, then it will continue. This has only been confirmed to happen for me on network use so far, has happened several times though when testing. Will be testing this more later.

I found when skipping chapters in a DVD the audio stream choice seems to revert to #1. Like if I start a DVD and choose audio stream #2 which is DTS, if I hit skip chapter button once or twice when playing it will switch back to stream #1. Only saw this with my DVD rips so far.

Have no idea if the two issues are specific to me yet. I have no issues streaming to multiple other devices on my network. (PC's, XBOX 1's)
post #566 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post

A couple of questions about music playback...

Do either the Pandora or the Live 365 functions require a subscription or payment to those services?

If so, is there any other known way of getting internet radio (particularly Shoutcast)?

Does the WD TV Live have any issues shuffling a music playlist? I seem to recall reading that there were problems with that on the original WD TV.

No experience w/ Live 365 yet, but yes, you set up an account (free) w/ Pandorafrom your PC, and set up your "stations".
Then you "create an account" on your WDTV2 under Music Settings/ Pandora and type in your login info & off you go. I think that if you pull power from your unit (as in pulling out the AC adapter to move it etc), it will lose your login info, so you will need to retype your login the next time. I'm not sure if it stores your login info in internal memory or in the wdtv folder on your drive, but am guessing internal memory.
Anyways it works a treat & it's pretty cool having Pandora streaming your your hifi system!

Haven't used any playlists (I just use Shuffle Mode all the time for music listening) & it works fine here
post #567 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Well, i have the original one and i live it. I think i will wait a little bit before buying this one. I want to see what kind of modifications / added features via updates will happen.
post #568 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvforme View Post

Thanks!

I wanted to pickup a dual band adapter. I you folks here don't mind buying a refurb, you can get the WUSB600N from buy.com for $29 an change w/free shipping. Don't forget to use Bing cash back for an additional 4-7% savings.

I can confirm the WUS600N works great. Just FYI.
post #569 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Did they list WMA HD as being a supported format?

I dunno, I've got big ole hands, but I have no problem using the remote, actually have gotten rather used to it, even when typing in my network code & Pandora login using the virtual kybd.

I only wish they'd address the audio side of this great MEDIA player, namely adding replaygain & gapless audio support.

WMA HD is not a supported format.
post #570 of 7097 Old 10-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:

No experience w/ Live 365 yet, but yes, you set up an account (free) w/ Pandorafrom your PC, and set up your "stations".
Then you "create an account" on your WDTV2 under Music Settings/ Pandora and type in your login info & off you go. I think that if you pull power from your unit (as in pulling out the AC adapter to move it etc), it will lose your login info, so you will need to retype your login the next time. I'm not sure if it stores your login info in internal memory or in the wdtv folder on your drive, but am guessing internal memory.
Anyways it works a treat & it's pretty cool having Pandora streaming your your hifi system!

Haven't used any playlists (I just use Shuffle Mode all the time for music listening) & it works fine here

Live 365 also requires account creation but I believe the first 30 days are free. After that you will get a notice asking you to log in.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page