Western Digital - WD TV Live Media Player (WDTV2) - Page 234 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6991 of 7092 Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, what's this?

Remote app for ios and Android? For the WDTV Live?

That sounds excellent.

Quote:

Additionally, the new WD® TV Remote app improves the navigation experience for WD TV Live and WD TV Live Hub users by turning their iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or Android compatible mobile device into an advanced feature remote control for their WD TV. The WD TV Remote advanced features allow users to more easily navigate the wide variety of digital media WD TV users enjoy on their television, from leading entertainment services to personal video, photos or music.
New Services1

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/21/w...p-vudu-stream/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 7092 Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut View Post

Hello, what's this?

Remote app for ios and Android? For the WDTV Live?

That sounds excellent.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/21/w...p-vudu-stream/

I think that's for the new Live-SMP not the old Live.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6993 of 7092 Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I think that's for the new Live-SMP not the old Live.

And what the hell is that? If that is the case why can't they use proper nomenclature in their press releases?
post #6994 of 7092 Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And what the hell is that? If that is the case why can't they use proper nomenclature in their press releases?

It would have been nice to have use a more distinct name, but it is what it is. I doubt there will be any more firmware updates for the old WD Live. It has been discontinued for quite some time now. Even the Live+ is pretty much over with. The new player is the Live-SMP.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6995 of 7092 Old 12-22-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm pretty sure there will be an update for the old LIVE.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #6996 of 7092 Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

I'm pretty sure there will be an update for the old LIVE.

Hope your right. It's been a while. The last Live/Live+ FW update was back in August.

- kelson h

post #6997 of 7092 Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 AM

I not holding out hope, it is WD after all, but there isn't a technical reason for NOT updating is there?
post #6998 of 7092 Old 12-24-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I not holding out hope, it is WD after all, but there isn't a technical reason for NOT updating is there?

WD is one of the last ones I would criticize for firmware update support. Just look at the long list of updates they put out for the Live and the Live+. They continued to update the Live for some time after it was discontinued.

- kelson h

post #6999 of 7092 Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I was going to buy the Roku box for my parents for xmas, but Roky doesn't have Vudu, and my dad loves watching new movies.

I went to WD site, and I just found out they added vudu. So, I went to best buy and got lucky. I bought their last WD tv live streaming unit I hope it works just as good or better than the Roku...plus I can install an external hard drive for them with all of their movies.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7000 of 7092 Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Besides limited manpower that has to be distributed economically? Also, from what we've seen so far, updating firmwares needs extensive testing to prevent features getting broken, so I'd rather wait before anything is getting rushed.

Tech Flaws
post #7001 of 7092 Old 12-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Besides limited manpower that has to be distributed economically?

That's not a technical reason.

Quote:

Also, from what we've seen so far, updating firmwares needs extensive testing to prevent features getting broken, so I'd rather wait before anything is getting rushed.

Nor is that, nor does it pertain to "not doing it" but to "will be delayed" or "in time" - besides, if you end up breaking all kinds of stuff your are not doing it right.
post #7002 of 7092 Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not a technical reason.

Nor is that, nor does it pertain to "not doing it" but to "will be delayed" or "in time" - besides, if you end up breaking all kinds of stuff your are not doing it right.

I don't know what you are looking for as a "technical reason". There is none. There is no "technical reason" why WD couldn't keep working on the firmware adding features and updating it forever. But the point is, who is going to do that for a product that was discontinued a long time ago and is two generations behind the current product. They are going to devote their resources to their current products that will make them money. Accept the old Live for what it is now because it won't ever be anything more. It was supported well during it's life, but the run is over. If you want more then it's time to get out your checkbook and buy a new model.

- kelson h

post #7003 of 7092 Old 12-25-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if you end up breaking all kinds of stuff your are not doing it right.

I'd rather say that if you really think that any company would continue to support a product indefinitely you're not doing it right, but ok.

Tech Flaws
post #7004 of 7092 Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:

I'd rather say that if you really think that any company would continue to support a product indefinitely you're not doing it right, but ok.

Oh certainly not in a greedy capitalist system there the object is to make stuff which doesn't work for long so you can sell people new stuff, but we are far far from infinity. Plus neither of this is relevant for my fairly innocent, and valid question: Is there any technical reason for them not updating. Guess the answer to that is NO - there isn't.
post #7005 of 7092 Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Oh certainly not in a greedy capitalist system there the object is to make stuff which doesn't work for long so you can sell people new stuff, but we are far far from infinity. Plus neither of this is relevant for my fairly innocent, and valid question: Is there any technical reason for them not updating. Guess the answer to that is NO - there isn't.

Its planned obsolescence, a very common practice in capitalism.
post #7006 of 7092 Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:

I don't know what you are looking for as a "technical reason".

??? A technical reason. Like "not enough memory"

Quote:

There is none. There is no "technical reason" why WD couldn't keep working on the firmware adding features and updating it forever. But the point is, who is going to do that for a product that was discontinued a long time ago and is two generations behind the current product.

That may be your topic, it wasn't mine, but if you insist. Who? Those who want to build brand loyalty.

Quote:

It was supported well during it's life,

In your opinion. And its life is by no means over, except in as much as they killed it off.

Quote:

If you want more then it's time to get out your checkbook and buy a new model.

Yeah the rich have much fun. With the WD attitude of quickly dumping their stuff the next model is not likely to be from WD.
post #7007 of 7092 Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Hi guys,

I'm just looking into having 5.1 on my WDTV Live, with mpeg and M2TS files on my home theater setup. I know most mkvs have 5.1 since when I was converting them to mpegs and used to play them on my PS3, I still had 5.1. Now I'm looking in having 5.1 from my WDTV Live.

Here is how my setup is connected:

WDTV Live ----HDMI---- Denon 3311 -----HDMI------TV (or Epson projector)

In the WDTV Live Menu, only stereo gives me audio. When I select HDMI Passthrough, I have no sound. (Neither with Optical, but this would be normal, since I have no optical cable, right?)

Does this mean I need to hook up an optical cable from the WDTV Live to my Denon 3311?

Thanks for the help,
Fred
post #7008 of 7092 Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try the optical cable and MOST audio should work. Some of the formats aren't output or at least most 5.1 receivers don't know what to do with them. For those you'll have to use the regular analog or PCM or whatever works directly to the TV.
I think with mine and the new media player I have AAC doesn't play through my receiver but works fine through the HDMI on my TV directly so you'll have to try things out and see what works for your setup.
post #7009 of 7092 Old 12-29-2011, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_86 View Post

Hi guys,

I'm just looking into having 5.1 on my WDTV Live, with mpeg and M2TS files on my home theater setup. I know most mkvs have 5.1 since when I was converting them to mpegs and used to play them on my PS3, I still had 5.1. Now I'm looking in having 5.1 from my WDTV Live.

Here is how my setup is connected:

WDTV Live ----HDMI---- Denon 3311 -----HDMI------TV (or Epson projector)

In the WDTV Live Menu, only stereo gives me audio. When I select HDMI Passthrough, I have no sound. (Neither with Optical, but this would be normal, since I have no optical cable, right?)

Does this mean I need to hook up an optical cable from the WDTV Live to my Denon 3311?

Thanks for the help,
Fred

It probably can play the main HD audio track. Have you tried playing a secondary audio track such as AC3? That's if you ripped your movies with any secondary track.

I know my A-300 is having issues with the HD audio track with my rips. I'd lose audio completely, but the movies keeps playing. I've got to switch to my secondary AC3 audio track and it plays fine with surround sound (5.1 or 7.1)

I gave my parents the WD TV Live Streamer for X-Mas, and I know their receiver doesn't have HDMI hook up. I'm hoping optical will work for anything. We'll see. I'll take my external hdd with me, and I'll put several HD and SD movies in there with secondary audio tracks and see how it works. I'll post back later!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7010 of 7092 Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

So, I will be going to my parent's house to install their new WD TV LIVE Streamer.

They mainly want Vudu so they can watch new movies. However, I will be doing some test by running different formatted rips.

I will be testing the following formats:
M4V, MKV, main movie M2TS, full movie TS/VOB folder structure, full movie blu-ray structure, and main movie blu-ray folder structure.

Software used: Handbrake, makemkv, AnyDVD HD and ClownBD.

Set up:

EXTERNAL HDD VIA USB ---> WD TV LIVE STREAMER ---> TV via HDMI ----> Onkyo A/V via optical.

I will post the results later.

P.S. It should be noted, this is my first time using makemkv, and I must say it is pretty easy, and fast program to use. However, it doesn't let me make a secondary audio track AC3 like ClownBD does, which at lot of times is necessary for me. Other than that I liked it.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7011 of 7092 Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I just returned home from installing and testing my parent's WD TV Live streamer. I must admit that I was very impress with the available apps and playing capabilities of this less than $100.00 dollars media player.

I tested Netflix, Vudu, and Pandora for my parents and they all play excellent over a wireless network. No stuttering or buffering at all.

Thereafter, I connected my external HDD via usb to the WD TV Live streamer and it automatically recognized it along with all the folders and media files.

The player played M4V files just fine. However, whenever I tried to used subtitles or another audio track, the video would fast-forward, and the audio would remain fine. I changed the audio track back, but the video kept fast-forwarding. The only way to stop this would be to restart the movie again.

For some reason or another subtitles didn't work with M4V files.

Full movie rip as bd and sd ts/vob folder structure, the player recognized the folder structure just fine, but whenever I played the folder, the movie wouldn't start from the beginning. The movie would start either in the middle, end, or something else.

The player played main movie folder structure, main movie m2ts, and mkv files perfectly. I was able to change audio tracks, spoken language track, and subtitles without any issues.

My mom loved it, and she knows my dad will love it too. I was so surprised by it that I'm actually thinking of buying one for my bedroom instead of the Popbox V8.

This little media player is probably the only media player that I know that is an all in one media player. I WD can make something like this with a jukebox. I would definitely buy one and most likely use it to replace my A-300.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7012 of 7092 Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Hi.
I have the 2nd generation of this device but I had a question about the 3rd generation(2011) version.

I was wondering if

1. If they fixed the navigation to allow you to navigate to different parts of the video by pressing the number pad. Traditionally in some media streaming devices, you press 1 to go to 10%, 2 for 20%, 3 for 30%, 4 for 40%, etc....

The 2nd Generation did not have a number pad on the remote so I could not do it but the 3rd generation does have a number pad.

Can anyone confirm that this works for navigation within a video?

2. Many video which normally display as full screen with my popcorn hour A-110 will show up with bars on the side of the video or on the top/bottom of the screen. Basically, I think it is because the video is in the wrong aspect ratio. Does anyone know if the 3nd generation fixed this problem or not?

3. Does it still have the same interface or does it use any type of jukebox interface now?

I was wondering if these improvements/fixes have been done on the 3rd generation besides just the support for some online streaming sites.

Thanks.

P.S.Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I did not realize this device already has its own massive section on here.
post #7013 of 7092 Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it possible my WDTV Live is causing ethernet cables to go bad?

My Live is connected to the network via a powerline adapter and I stream video from network storage. Been working fine for over a year. About a month ago I started getting stuttering and network disconnects. I went through normal troubleshooting issues including I replaced the powerline adapter with a spare one I'd never used. The problem persisted till I finally thought to try a new ethernet cable. That seemed to solve the problem. At least till last weekend and the problem started up again. After normal process of rebooting the router and NAS I plugged the original powerline adapter back in and the problem continued. I picked up an old Ethernet cable I had nearby, plugged it in and video streamed fine for about 30 minutes. Last night I plugged in new ethernet cable watched video for about 2 hours with no problem.

So, I have gone through 4 ethernet cables in a month. Could the WDTV Live be burning them out?
post #7014 of 7092 Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janryAVS View Post

My Live is connected to the network via a powerline adapter and I stream video from network storage. Been working fine for over a year. About a month ago I started getting stuttering and network disconnects. I went through normal troubleshooting issues including I replaced the powerline adapter with a spare one I'd never used. The problem persisted till I finally thought to try a new ethernet cable. That seemed to solve the problem. At least till last weekend and the problem started up again. After normal process of rebooting the router and NAS I plugged the original powerline adapter back in and the problem continued. I picked up an old Ethernet cable I had nearby, plugged it in and video streamed fine for about 30 minutes. Last night I plugged in new ethernet cable watched video for about 2 hours with no problem.

So, I gone through 4 ethernet cables in a month. Could the WDTV Live be burning them out?

Test your router?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7015 of 7092 Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Test your router?

Since the ethernet cables are not connected 'directly' to the router, I don't see how the router could be the cause of them going bad.
post #7016 of 7092 Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since the ethernet cables are not connected 'directly' to the router, I don't see how the router could be the cause of them going bad.

I cannot see how with the voltages involve that anything is making the cables "go bad."
post #7017 of 7092 Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I cannot see how with the voltages involve that anything is making the cables "go bad."

I guess that's the real question. I don't know.

To add, I have a PC connected to the same TV and same powerline adapter. After the stuttering incidents, I've played the same video successfullly over the PC with WMC7, but if I use the ethernet cable from the WDTV on the computer, I get the stuttering, and vice versa, if I use the cable from the TV on the WDTV, no stuttering, so I'm confident the cables are going 'bad'.
post #7018 of 7092 Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess that's the real question. I don't know.

To add, I have a PC connected to the same TV and same powerline adapter. After the stuttering incidents, I've played the same video successfullly over the PC with WMC7, but if I use the ethernet cable from the WDTV on the computer, I get the stuttering, and vice versa, if I use the cable from the TV on the WDTV, no stuttering, so I'm confident the cables are going 'bad'.

Its a mystery.
post #7019 of 7092 Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My bad. I should of asked what was your set up rather than automatically assuming you had it hooked up to your router.

I don't know how those cables could be going bad. I've wired my whole house with Cat5(e), and I've got several cables that go from my router to the outside of the house back to the inside of the house. Those cable has endured 108 Degree and 45 deg. weather, and my dog shewing on it, and I am still getting a good connection.

May be one of the small lines withing the cat cable isn't making a good connection, and you'll have to re-attach the male end portion. I do my own wiring / splicing, and I had one cable that wasn't working, and the cause was one of the color line orange/white was broken. So, I had to cut it and re-attache it.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7020 of 7092 Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:

My Live is connected to the network via a powerline adapter and I stream video from network storage. Been working fine for over a year. About a month ago I started getting stuttering and network disconnects. I went through normal troubleshooting issues including I replaced the powerline adapter with a spare one I'd never used.

Just a thought. I noticed that I would have intermittent stuttering when playing networked bd movies. Apparently the wd tv was disconnecting between uses from the wired (MoCa) network and defaulting to the wireless connection I had started with. Going back into setup and doing an auto connection to the wired network would resolve the problem.

Not sure if the disconnect was caused by power failure or by something with the moca connection.

When you are stuttering confirm that the wdtv is using the ethernet connection.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page