Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 7097 Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmel View Post

When you are stuttering confirm that the wdtv is using the ethernet connection.

It is. I don't even have a wireless adapter connected to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7097 Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am thinking of getting the new WD TV Live mainly because I hate the small remote on the original unit and I think I'll like the new one better.
A friend of mine wants the old unit...however, I have a couple of questions.

Is there any reason I would PREFER the old unit? Ie, something on the old is better or anything?

Also, I assume the new unit plays at least the same amount of different formats and maybe more?

Best price online?

THanks

George
post #7023 of 7097 Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post

I am thinking of getting the new WD TV Live mainly because I hate the small remote on the original unit and I think I'll like the new one better.

Is there any reason I would PREFER the old unit? Ie, something on the old is better or anything?

Also, I assume the new unit plays at least the same amount of different formats and maybe more?

Best price online?

THanks

George

Old unit (which I prefer) can be modded with WDLXTV firmware (Google it).
New unit cannot.
They both play the same formats.
Remote size is not a factor for me since I use a Harmony remote anyways.
post #7024 of 7097 Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Best price online?

THanks

George

If someone is willing to take the dreaded old and obsolete TV Live off your possession then consider yourself real lucky because WD has stop supporting the old brick. The new real remote isn't any better, it rocks back and forth when laid down on any flat surface and never seem to be able to sit stable. Any little bump would cause the thing to start rocking, annoying as hell. I flip it upside down with the rubber keys facing down. The only feature I like is the 'Subtitle' button. I can just activate it when watching Netflix (or DVD) w/o having to go to their menus. But then again, I didn't buy the newer player because of its remote.
post #7025 of 7097 Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Well, I'm going to take that as a yes. The remote wobbling thing might drive me nuts too but I tend to put my stuff on a shelf that has a mouse mat on it so hopefully it won't happen or I won't hear it. If not, I might pimp it but I'll give it a shot.

Not sure why "dreaded old and obsolete" but frankly, I love mine and have had more than one. Even had the regular version that came out before the live and liked it too.

Anything is better than the POS Iomega Screeplays I had before that and of which, I had 3-4 units and NONE worked properly and also, their service SUCKS!

I for one am super happy with mine and so are the people I sold my old units to or gave to them.

Well, I guess I'll go ahead and order one then. As for pimping the software, I never had much patience for that so I don't care about it.

Thanks

George
post #7026 of 7097 Old 04-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Well, I'm going to take that as a yes. The remote wobbling thing might drive me nuts too but I tend to put my stuff on a shelf that has a mouse mat on it so hopefully it won't happen or I won't hear it. If not, I might pimp it but I'll give it a shot.

Not sure why "dreaded old and obsolete" but frankly, I love mine and have had more than one. Even had the regular version that came out before the live and liked it too.

Anything is better than the POS Iomega Screeplays I had before that and of which, I had 3-4 units and NONE worked properly and also, their service SUCKS!

I for one am super happy with mine and so are the people I sold my old units to or gave to them.

Well, I guess I'll go ahead and order one then. As for pimping the software, I never had much patience for that so I don't care about it.

Thanks

George

I have tried a lot of other boxes. I thought I had found one that would finally take the place of my WD box, but low and behold, it did not play DTS sound on my MKV movies. So I am back with old Faithful
post #7027 of 7097 Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 AM

Personally I found my units to be pretty much bulletproof which is what I need.

You may have others that are great with lots of features (that I prolly wouldn't use anyway) but this unit works and performs, every time.

post #7028 of 7097 Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

M WDHDTV Live + works pretty well except that it seems to drop the ethernet connection (local network or internet) after 20 minutes or so. The other devices on my network don't do that and I can't think of anything which would cause this behavior. Has anyone else seen this?

Bob
post #7029 of 7097 Old 04-24-2012, 03:03 AM

I cannot play SUB subtitles on the WD TV Live, only SRT... isn't it supposed to read SUB files?

Thanks

FALP
post #7030 of 7097 Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I was playing around with my Video Output settings last night and found something curious. When I select HDMI --> Auto, the WDTV defaults to 8-bit color depth. When you try to select 12-bit it doesn't change.

If I select HDMI --> 1080p/24 then I can select 12-bit and it accepts the change. (whether or not I can see the difference between 8-bit and 12-bit is another matter )

Can anyone confirm this is normal behavior? After I noticed this I did a factory reset and it was still the same.

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #7031 of 7097 Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just curious, can the WD media player handle protected folders? Say if you wanted to put some "adult" movies in a password protected folder that only someone that knows password could open.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #7032 of 7097 Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falp View Post

I cannot play SUB subtitles on the WD TV Live, only SRT... isn't it supposed to read SUB files?

Several sub formats have this extension only few of which are supported.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7033 of 7097 Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post

Just curious, can the WD media player handle protected folders? Say if you wanted to put some "adult" movies in a password protected folder that only someone that knows password could open.

You're thinking too high-tech. Put that stuff on a separate drive and lock it away when not in use. Just don't forget . . .
post #7034 of 7097 Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Guys, my wd tv live is asking me to log into my computer to access it and I just had it redone and I have no idea how to find out user name and password.

When I log out and log back in again, it says User so I assume that's the user name but not sure about pass since I don't have to log in when I boot up.

I just asked the guy that rebuilt it and he says he didn't put any password in it (as per my instructions).

THanks

George
post #7035 of 7097 Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 PM

ANyone?

Thanks
post #7036 of 7097 Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Can I have one hardrdive formatted for Macs in one USB slot and the other formatted for PCs in the other? What about dual formatting one big harddrive for both systems?
post #7037 of 7097 Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
What's in this update? Release 1.06.43 (1/17/2013)

Supports iOS and Android WD TV Remote Apps. (WD TV Remote version 1.1 Required)
Supports YouTube Leanback.
Resolved playback issues when indexing large number of files.
Resolved FLAC and OGG Vorbis files no audio output via optical connection.
Resolved unable to play ADPCM files.
Resolved MP3 audio doesn't work in FLV video container.
Resolved music not play correctly from network share when a JPG image is in the same folder.
Resolved reboot issues when playing VCD files.
Resolved USB drive is active after eject dialog is closed.
Resolved Facebook Like/Unlike function of video option bar.
Resolved network share doesn't filter media category for Photos.
Resolved reboot issues after hot plugging USB keyboard.
Resolved HDMI issue with certain TV models displaying a purple screen.
Resolved audio sync issue on certain .MOV container.
Resolved ISO/VOB 10 minute skip function only skips once.
Resolved momentary freeze or lag after FFW or REV video file in .VOB container.
Resolved audio issue when playing VOB/PCM files when set to Stereo.
Resolved random music playback is not random issue.
Resolved device reboot issue when playing slideshow and music from network share.
Resolved subtitles colors of subtitles and background are displayed incorrectly.
Resolved SRT subtitle outline is transparent.
Resolved IDX and SUB subtitles without end time info in header are not displayed.
Resolved file types filter issue while browsing videos in network share.
Resolved several general Flingo user interface issues.
Resolved several general Dailymotion user interface and playback issues.
Resolved video playback issue with certain MPEG2 video files.
Resolved several Pandora user interface issue.
Resolved system reboot issue when copying multiple files.
Resolved choppy playback issue with VCD video files.
Resolved HDMI video output settings being forced to unsupported resolution when setting to auto.
General Info
- YouTube has been replaced with YouTube Leanback.
- Mediafly has been removed from the list of Online Services.
- Yota service discontinued operation as of July 1, 2012 due to the current situation in the Russian music market.
post #7038 of 7097 Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Psyched they're still updating the box. Glad to see the iOS app!

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #7039 of 7097 Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post

What's in this update? Release 1.06.43 (1/17/2013)

General Info
- YouTube has been replaced with YouTube Leanback.

is leanback better than the old youtube app?
post #7040 of 7097 Old 01-20-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Amazing. I thought I would never see another firmware update for my Live+. Downloading/installing it now.

+1 for WD support

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7041 of 7097 Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like they had to remove a few online services that have shut down. But I'm also happy for the update.
post #7042 of 7097 Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

I spoke too soon. It won't see any network share anywhere in the house. frown.gif
post #7043 of 7097 Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Several people experienced this. In most cases adding the WDTV to the network's workgroup helped (and yes, that's a pointless nuisance backported from the current model).

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7044 of 7097 Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post

I spoke too soon. It won't see any network share anywhere in the house. frown.gif
I often bite the bullet and do a device reset to factory defaults if a WD firmware update starts doing unexpected things. It has always cleared up the problems for me. I let the unit update last night but have not worked with it yet. I may just do a reset and avoid any problems.

edit: forgot to mention that the other thing I do is give all my WD players and my NAS units a static IP address.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7045 of 7097 Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

I got it partly working, by telling it to determine network settings automatically.
I've always had issues with it finding my Windows 7 machines - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
post #7046 of 7097 Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 AM

Liked: 15
Here's something for the WDTV experts I haven't been able to figure out.

So let me begin by starting with my hardware setup:
WDTV live
Panasonic VT50
Seagate 3TB drive connected via USB to the WDTV
LG blu ray drive on computer

I use makemkv to rip blu rays on my mac. I just leave them alone after ripping and copy them to the hard drive without compressing them with handbrake or whatever. Full length movies are anywhere between 15-35 GB ballpark depending on length and other factors that I am not familiar with.

Anyway, the issue: it appears to be related to frame rate. It is hard to explain in words, but with the harry potter movies I notice a frame rate "hiccup". It looks like what we might refer to as brief "stutter" or "judder" but it's very recent that I've noticed it and it ONLY happens on the harry potter movies believe it or not (at least as far as I can see with my limited movie collection).
If someone has blu ray harry potter rips and can play them on the WDTV can you see if you see a lot of studdering in sorcerer's stone at approximately 1hr.07min.30sec during the halloween feast. the lightning causes all sorts of weird judder. It doesn't seem to follow a discernable pattern or anything, and my WDTV seems to be outputting the correct 24p rate ( and the TV is set to the 96hz mode to deal with it).
It seems it's just the harry potter movies so far but I'd like to isolate the issue. if someone has any suggestions to try, I'd appreciate it.

Just want to add that I've seen frame rate "judder" from mismatched 24p/60hz streams and though this sort of appear like it, is much more intermittent and not as drastic. it almost seems like the WDTV can't "keep up" with the stream for a split second. It also seems to happen a lot between camera changes, just as it is changing. if anyone has any idea, any at all that i can try i'd appreciate it.
I've tried changing force changing the frame rate on the WDTV and the VT50 and neither made any difference. Funny thing is that the files play fine through the exact USB cable on my computer using VLC so i know it probably isn't the rip causing problems...
post #7047 of 7097 Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post

Best price online?

THanks

George

There are still good reasons to get the newest model vs the older one. As I understand it, the old one won't pass through Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD/MA. The new one I'm pretty sure will pass these through if you have a receiver capable of decoding them. (I usually stick to 640 kbps AC3 5.1 anyway). The old one doesn't have wireless connection like the new one does. If you connect via external hard drive, then I guess it doesn't really matter. Ehh, I got the new one and I've been totally satisfied with it.
post #7048 of 7097 Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

As I understand it, the old one won't pass through Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD/MA. The new one I'm pretty sure will pass these through if you have a receiver capable of decoding them.
No WD Live passes DTS-HD. The Live+ and Live-SMP pass True-HD. Not sure about the original Live and whether it passes True-HD.

- kelson h

post #7049 of 7097 Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 AM

The old WDTV Live will pass True HD with the new 1.06.43 firmware as I have just tried it out.

it would not do so with the old 1.05 firmwares
post #7050 of 7097 Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 68
WDTV Play
http://www.amazon.de/Western-Digital-WDBHZM0000NBK-EESN-Streaming-Full-HD/dp/B00B0AWGV0
Sigh. It's year 2013 and still no DTS HD MA. Sigh. mad.gif
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page