Western Digital - WD TV Live Media Player (WDTV2) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone try using a WAP in bridge mod connected to the WDTV2? I know you can get a USB wifi adapter but I already have a spare WAP in the junk box. I know it won't playback HiDef over a wireless network but I have my DVDs (in MKV) sitting on an external drive attached to my PC and want to share out the contents of that drive and have a drive attached to the WDTV2 to dump HiDef files onto over the network.

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post

Can anyone confirm the WDTV IR codes in the Harmony 880 remote work with WDTV Live?

Are there discrete power codes for this yet?
post #903 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM

I cant seem to get the thumbnails to work by using the old Folder.jpg method, it does not show them.

System reset fixed it... *
post #904 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post

Can anyone confirm the WDTV IR codes in the Harmony 880 remote work with WDTV Live?

Yes it does. I have my harmony One using it as we speak. The old HD and the new HD live use the same remote and codes. That was not effected in the upgrade. Only a few new stuff was added internally like network conenctions and such.

So when ur in the harmony settings, chose media pc, chose Western digital as company, and then copy and paste the Example field right into the place u type.
post #905 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 PM

If I were to take the WDTV Live to a friend's place, who only has an analogue TV, would I be able to get 480i/540i from Component output or would I be forced to use Composite out for those resolutions?

thanks
post #906 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoma View Post

If I were to take the WDTV Live to a friend's place, who only has an analogue TV, would I be able to get 480i/540i from Component output or would I be forced to use Composite out for those resolutions?

thanks

i've got an old tv with component inputs (i used component with my dvd player fine for years). however, it doesnt work on my tv. i think WDTV can only do 480p and above with component - it wont go "down" to 480i. so you'll be stuck with composite unless its possible to make a FW update that allows component to go down to 480i. yeah, it kinda sucks.
post #907 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Were you playing a 1080p (23.976 fps) m2ts file or a mkv? Unlike many reports on the WDTV AVS tread I found that the original WDTV, at least with some firmware versions, would play ripped BD's 1080p/24 (actually 23.976) correctly as long as they were in m2ts format. My Epson 6500UB projector reported that the input signal frame rate was correct and was the same as reported for playing the original BD itself via my BD player set to output in 1080p/24. However, with the original WDTV I don't believed the 23.976 frame rate ever worked for BDs ripped to mkv format nor for DVD rips. Perhaps the WDTV2 handles 23.976 fps correctly with m2ts files but not mkv files based on some reports here of problems with mkv files. As for DVDs at 24 fps, as I recall NTSC DVDs are actually recorded at 29.97 fps (PAL DVDs at 25 fps) and those players that offer a 24 fps output for DVDs must use processing to apply inverse pull down (for NTSC discs) to generate the 24 fps rate. Therefore, the situation with DVDs is different than for ripped BDs since what we need for BD rips is simply to be able provide an output at the same frame rate that is used for the recorded video. The WDTV2 (or original WDTV) appears to correctly apply processing for outputting ripped DVDs at 60 fps but doesn't have the processing to correctly convert record DVD rips to 24 fps. Of course this is also the case with 99%+ of all DVD players.

My test was with an m2ts file. I don't think I have any 1080p24 MKVs.

Someone else asked me about the black bars (to check if i had widescreen setting on).... I had a region free PAL 720x576 DVD that I took VOBs and tried to play them back. The issue isnt black bars on the side, it's black bars on the top and bottom that shouldn't be there. The aspect ratio should be 1.78:1, but it's vertically squeezing the picture and black bars are appearing on the top and bottom. This plays fine on my asus o!play, but my PS3 has the same problem.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #908 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 PM

I've been reading this thread every time I get a moment. I am so excited to get my WD TV Live. I've tried using my PS3 to stream and it doesn't do justice. It hangs up on files all the time. Tversity and PS3 media player can't do them all.. I want something that encodes on the hardware end.

I really hope they hack this thing. I'm sure there would be some major enhancements made, skins, etc... But I'm just excited

I bought mine from best buy online since I live in the middle of nowhere and there are no best buys around. I was debating on buying it last night at 3am but this thread talked me into it. By the time I hit page 24 I was all over that with my credit card.. now today, best buy online is sold out... owned... I got express delivery- it will arrive tomorrow! WAHOO!
post #909 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM

I'm pretty sure we might get a browser hack added in sometime soon!
post #910 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 PM

I don't see any option to get HDMI and Composite OR Component and Composite at the same time. What I like to be able to do is have either HDMI or Component on the HDTV and have the composite distributed to the other TV's around the house via my RF channel modulator (in this case ch 121). I do this with my DishNetwork VIP722 satellite receiver and it works great, but I don't see any option to enable either HDMI or Component and Composite at this same time.

Is there any hope?
post #911 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM

Is anyone using the WD TV Live with a large mp3 collection (say 100 gigs plus)? What is the experience in moving through albums - no lag? Going up a level from an album to master list? What if you have like 800+ albums at root level and you're scrolling down through them to say get to S's - this fast or a tedious process? There Replay gain? Crossfade between tracks?

I'm mainly looking at this for music (interested in video part too) and am used to XBMC as a reference point as excellent options for navigating and playing music.

Also - is there anything when music is playing to say keep the screen dynamic - flipping images etc? My tv is prone to burn in with excessive static images.
post #912 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtgrizzly View Post

Is anyone using the WD TV Live with a large mp3 collection (say 100 gigs plus)? What is the experience in moving through albums - no lag? Going up a level from an album to master list? What if you have like 800+ albums at root level and you're scrolling down through them to say get to S's - this fast or a tedious process? There Replay gain? Crossfade between tracks?

I'm mainly looking at this for music (interested in video part too) and am used to XBMC as a reference point as excellent options for navigating and playing music.

Also - is there anything when music is playing to say keep the screen dynamic - flipping images etc? My tv is prone to burn in with excessive static images.

Both versions of WD TV (HD & Live) have a simple screen saver. The WD logo skipping about the screen. I don't know if it works with music or not.

I don't know about the music end of things, I got mine strictly for video,

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #913 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Got it hooked up tonight and working w/ my PC using a network share. Overall, very impressed.

Only 2 things bothered me.

-Sound of human voices was a bit low compared to everything else
-If the mkv has subtitles, it seems the default is that they are on
-I need to figure out how to get the movies to display with a picture of my choosing as their icon, if possible

I am not sure if the sound issue is because I don't have a reciever and am just going to the TV over HDMI, or if it is the rip itself.

As for the subtitles, I wonder if there is a way to turn them off on all files by default. Might be, but I'll have to play with it.

Also, is there a method for assigning pictures to folders, so instead of the generic icons, I see the blu ray box art for instance?
post #914 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 PM

I have files from 3 different camcorders (sony/panasonic/canon) at different bitrates (up to 24Mbit) with dolby 2 and 5.1 channels.
Can anybody confirm that it will play them?
I have my home movies in folders (one folder for each day). Will it play all the files in a chosen folder one after another - if so how does it select the next file to play, by name or date or something else?

Also from reading the thread it seems that I have to select the output resolution manually every time I play a different file type - my directv receiver has a "native" mode where the output resolution changes depending on the file type (for instance a 720p channel will be sent as 720p, a 1080i30 at 1080i30 and so on) - does the wdtv live have such a mode (I prefer to leave the processing to my display).
post #915 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post

Mine's kind of goofy, but for Comedy, let's say, I have a small pic of Will Ferrell playing the cowbell. I just named it folder.jpg and put it in my Comedy folder. Likewise, for Horror, I have a pic of Nosferatu. The WDTV still displays the name of the folder, but the pic allows for quick identification.

Does anyone have a screen shot of their folder structure so that I know I am doing this right?
post #916 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post

You should be using network shares to access mkv in wdtv menus. It appears it is very picky. Can you login via network shares on wdtv? If yes, can you see the folders? Search this thread for lots of findings.

Liquidmetal -- thanks for your help!

The network shares were already setup on my HTPC, but not showing up under that area on the WD Live. I ended up shutting down the WD for about an hour, turned it back on and was able to finally see the network share on my HTPC. Movies played from the network share then lost connection after about 5 minutes, but this problem has not come back in at least 30 minutes.

So after spending about 8 hours trying to get three media players to work, I am very close to being back at square one:
- Netgear Digital Entertainer -- still not able to find my network shares; returning to Fry's.
- Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ -- sees and plays MKVs from my network shares, but unable to sync with my Denon 3808CI/Pioneer Elite plasma through HDMI (even after forcing a resolution), also interface looks cheesy; returning to Best Buy.
- WD Live -- finally able to see and play MKVs from my network shares, unfortunately library view doesn't work (shows movie poster jpegs and movie MKVs separately); reluctantly considering keeping this for the new bedroom TV.

Will keep MediaPortal on the HTPC that's currently shared in the dedicated home theater and main plasma systems. Still unable to get IR to work on the HTPC, so the wireless keyboard will have to suffice for now. The MediaPortal interface/library is so far ahead of the three media players listed above.

The WD Live shows promise, and is very popular as seen in this thread; unfortunately, it does not offer the ease of use and interface that I am looking for.
post #917 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurob12 View Post

Only 2 things bothered me.

-Sound of human voices was a bit low compared to everything else

this could be due to the dolby or dts downmix - I have had movies in 5.1 on my home theater with the same issue when downmixed to 2ch.
post #918 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frny View Post

this could be due to the dolby or dts downmix - I have had movies in 5.1 on my home theater with the same issue when downmixed to 2ch.

So it is fairly likely then that when I get a reciever and surround speakers, that may not be an issue anymore? Also, if I did get a reciever, would it be better to use the optical audio instead of the audio through the HDMI?
post #919 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurob12 View Post

So it is fairly likely then that when I get a reciever and surround speakers, that may not be an issue anymore? Also, if I did get a reciever, would it be better to use the optical audio instead of the audio through the HDMI?

It could be if the audio mix is indeed 5.1 but no promise

optical audio can only send the basic 5.1 dolby digital or DTS - hdmi is needed for the "new" dolby and DTS HD formats (with HDMI v1.3 I believe). With a new receiver HDMI is the way to go.
post #920 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:

I have files from 3 different camcorders (sony/panasonic/canon) at different bitrates (up to 24Mbit) with dolby 2 and 5.1 channels.
Can anybody confirm that it will play them?
I have my home movies in folders (one folder for each day). Will it play all the files in a chosen folder one after another - if so how does it select the next file to play, by name or date or something else?

Also from reading the thread it seems that I have to select the output resolution manually every time I play a different file type - my directv receiver has a "native" mode where the output resolution changes depending on the file type (for instance a 720p channel will be sent as 720p, a 1080i30 at 1080i30 and so on) - does the wdtv live have such a mode (I prefer to leave the processing to my display).

I'll add to that the Sanyo VPC-FH1 files 1920 x 1080p60. Any idea if this will play them back without stutter/synce issues?
post #921 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:

It could be if the audio mix is indeed 5.1 but no promise

optical audio can only send the basic 5.1 dolby digital or DTS - hdmi is needed for the "new" dolby and DTS HD formats (with HDMI v1.3 I believe). With a new receiver HDMI is the way to go.

Good tips, thanks. The file said it was DTS...I assume it wasn't lying

If you have any tips on a good reciever to build a system around, or a decent HTIB solution, PM me, as I am currently researching that, but I don't want to jack the thread.
post #922 of 7092 Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
If you are having issues getting your network share to work get in touch with me or look for my thread I started about this issue and I will have the ways I solved this issue!
post #923 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenythebeast View Post

Alright, so who's going to hack a browser into this thing?

or maybe An Android OS and and a Chrome browser?

SIgma Designs verifies that this Chip can handle Android.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/Products...es/Android.pdf

http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=10796
post #924 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

alright.. looks like im ordering this one!
post #925 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

"to Hijack" You are a liar and you need to stop purposely maligning this product, and trashing this thread.

Not a SINGLE person on this thread has said ANYTHING OF THE SORT. I've read every single post, and you're lying, and you've done it repeatedly for no other purpose than to try to keep people from buying this product.

Get out.

+1 and why are you using the call name of the creator of mpcclub.com very uncool
post #926 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskino View Post

+1 and why are you using the call name of the creator of mpcclub.com very uncool

I think he is Hijack from Mpcclub...
post #927 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskino View Post

or maybe An Android OS and and a Chrome browser?

SIgma Designs verifies that this Chip can handle Android.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/Products...es/Android.pdf

http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=10796

Thats really good! But I just find info for 8654... what are the diferences between chip 8654 and 8655?

WD TV Live is using Sigma 8655, right?
post #928 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goba View Post

I think he is Hijack from Mpcclub...

He is not Hi-Jack.
post #929 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

24p works just fine on my gear. The only way you are going to know if it works for you is to buy one.

Not sure you know what Beta testing means.

Where exactly am I lying and preventing people from buying this product? I got it for myself today.

And after you buy the product what exactly does WD has to earn from you to update the firmware? Just unplug your internet cord if you dont believe on freedom of speech. Its funny you´re not attacking my ideas in particular, but attacking me personally. End of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

You are a liar and you need to stop purposely maligning this product, and trashing this thread.

Not a SINGLE person on this thread has said ANYTHING OF THE SORT. I've read every single post, and you're lying, and you've done it repeatedly for no other purpose than to try to keep people from buying this product.

Get out.

post #930 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goba View Post

You are right!

@HiJack

So.. that's lame bro! Change your name... Hi-Jack is a respectful guy! Don't deceive others by doing that!

If you dont have anything usefull to say to this particular topic why dont you just remain silent?

BTW, are you from the Great Ouse Boating Association (GOBA) in the UK?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page