Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Same here... But maybe SD looks so bad because HD looks so good .... my head hurts bouncing between this thread and the thread about the Sony BD Changer I just setup ... :-)

I really hope that would be the explanation!

But people are comparing the same SD files between WDTV 1 and WDTV Live... and they all say the same! The PQ in WD TV Live is worst!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Well, if in fact this is true; I'm sure that WD can fix via firmware update.
post #993 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migsev View Post

Uh oh. Just looked up the WD Discovery app and it seems there isn't a Mac version. We've got 4 computers in the house and only 1 is a Windows machine, and thats the netbook.

Although I haven't tried it because I don't have any USB drives connected locally to the WDTV2, it does appear as WDTVLIVE on my list of shared machines from the Finder on one of my Macs.
post #994 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microhaxo View Post

I haven't noticed any degradation of pq from sd content over the wdtv1.

Thanks for clarifying things up.
post #995 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Well, if in fact this is true; I'm sure that WD can fix via firmware update.

The problem is that I believe the problem is in the Sigma SDK or the quality of the HDMI controler... I dont know...

Remember that WD had 10 months to fix 1080p 24Hz and they didn't yet fixed it... so, I'm a bit scared now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky_7 View Post

He was talking about WDTV 1 and not WDTV Live...
post #996 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post

Picked one up today and connected via component to my Mitsubishi WS-48311.

NOTHING. Just sits on a blank blue input screen. Tried a sandisk cruzer titanium 8gb flash drive (I know, not supported) and got nowhere.

Shouldn't the box at least boot up to a menu or SOMETHING even if it doesn't have a connected USB drive it likes?

I've tried both component and DTV inputs using the included component cable. The blue screen seems to flicker for the faintest of moments, but nothing is happening, no matter what component input I try.

Any ideas?

Any takers here? Does this box support 1080i over component?

The only rez's my TV supports are 480i/480p/1080i.

I tried the reset troubleshooting instructions but no dice. Sent a tech support email out. Didn't necessarily want to start the 30 day clock on support over this.
post #997 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvforme View Post

I was just checking things out from another laptop I have. You don't even need the discovery tool. I'm not sure how you would do this on a MAC, but in windows I can find the drive by typing the IP Address of my WD TV Live like this from the run command "\\\\192.168.0.7\\". This will open up the device and display the drive.

So by getting the IP address of your WD TV Live you can probably find a way to map it, or at least open it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinhster View Post

Although I haven't tried it because I don't have any USB drives connected locally to the WDTV2, it does appear as WDTVLIVE on my list of shared machines from the Finder on one of my Macs.

Thanks for this. Looks like my next purchase will be a WD TV Live and a 1.5tb MyBook.
post #998 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Bickering and plain ol' product bashing removed. While discussions of product shortcomings presented in an intelligent manner are generally encouraged, it seems to me we've gone far beyond that beating up the company and the product. Enough.

SO... From here on out this is a SUPPORT thread for owners of the product or a Q&A for those looking into it. Posters not adhering to that criteria will be banned from further participation in this thread.

THANK YOU!!!! It was getting hard to weed out the useful info from the useless banter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goba View Post

ScottWD or GuyWD!

Can you confirm that the upscale in WDTV Live has worst results than in WDTV 1?

If so, will this be adressed by WD or Sigma?

This is a very important thing for us to know and I hope that you can enlight us!

I'd rather know what, if anything, has changed with regards to the upscaler from one version to the next. WD is more likely to answer that.

Quote:

But people are comparing the same SD files between WDTV 1 and WDTV Live... and they all say the same! The PQ in WD TV Live is worst!

This is misinformation. Not everyone has stated that PQ is suffering from one version to the next. There are just as many people who do not see a PQ difference as there are folks who do see a difference.
post #999 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Bickering and plain ol' product bashing removed. While discussions of product shortcomings presented in an intelligent manner are generally encouraged, it seems to me we've gone far beyond that beating up the company and the product. Enough.

SO... From here on out this is a SUPPORT thread for owners of the product or a Q&A for those looking into it. Posters not adhering to that criteria will be banned from further participation in this thread.

Needed and appreciated.
post #1000 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky_7 View Post

Quote:

He was talking about WDTV 1 and not WDTV Live...

I think he actually was talking about the WDTV Live. From the quote above, I believe he meant the quality of the WDTV Live's picture showed no degradation compared to the WDTV1. Meaning, the PQ of SD content on the WDTV Live is similar to the WDTV1.
post #1001 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM

Can anyone advise how to deal with wireless networking? Do not remember where but I heard that only 802.11n is supported. Is this correct?
If only 802.11n is supported and I have 802.11g router (namely Actiontec MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router) can I still hope to obtain wireless on WDTV Live?
I found that Trendnet makes 802.11n converter, so called 300Mbps Wireless Easy-N-Upgrader. Can it be used for these purposes? Also, what USB wireless-n adapter can you recommend for WDTV?
post #1002 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logon2008 View Post

Can anyone advise how to deal with wireless networking? Do not remember where but I heard that only 802.11n is supported. Is this correct?
If only 802.11n is supported and I have 802.11g router (namely Actiontec MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router) can I still hope to obtain wireless on WDTV Live?
I found that Trendnet makes 802.11n converter, so called 300Mbps Wireless Easy-N-Upgrader. Can it be used for these purposes? Also, what USB wireless-n adapter can you recommend for WDTV?

Wireless is gonna be tough to stream 1080P. I just had cable guys drop Cat5e in three rooms in my home from my server room. Best money ever spent. Go cable it the most reliable way to transmit data.
post #1003 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:

i never owned the wdtv1 but i just watched a few eps of family guy and a couple standard dvds all played clear and fine to me.
post #1004 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logon2008 View Post

Any "N" client (usb stick in this case) should be able to connect just fine to a "G" router; of course you will only get "G" speeds, but it should connect just fine. An "N" router can be typically set to any of 3 modes ("N"-only 2.4GHz, "N"-Compatible 2.4GHz, and "N"-only 5GHz), but any "N" client should be able to connect at any mode unless forced to be "N" only. Of course as blackssr said you won't be streaming any 1080P content at "G" speeds, and even "N" will have difficulties.
post #1005 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post

Any "N" client (usb stick in this case) should be able to connect just fine to a "G" router; of course you will only get "G" speeds, but it should connect just fine. An "N" router can be typically set to any of 3 modes ("N"-only 2.4GHz, "N"-Compatible 2.4GHz, and "N"-only 5GHz), but any "N" client should be able to connect at any mode unless forced to be "N" only. Of course as blackssr said you won't be streaming any 1080P content at "G" speeds, and even "N" will have difficulties.

Note that since the usb dongle drivers are hard coded to the WDTVLive itself, your USB adapter needs to be able to run using RAlink driverset.
ScottWD posted alisting of all the N USB adapters they have confirmed working upstream in this thread.
And yes, the best, most trouble free way to stream 1080P is gonna be via wire.
post #1006 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatty View Post

This is misinformation. Not everyone has stated that PQ is suffering from one version to the next. There are just as many people who do not see a PQ difference as there are folks who do see a difference.

When I posted that here, no one said anything besides the SD PQ was worst... At least as I know!

blackssr said that and msmlynarc said that... and they both own the WDTV1 believing in what they said!

After that microhaxo said he doesnt find any degradation in SD over WDTV1...

So... can someone else leave here more feedback on this matter?
post #1007 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post

Any takers here? Does this box support 1080i over component?

The only rez's my TV supports are 480i/480p/1080i.

I tried the reset troubleshooting instructions but no dice. Sent a tech support email out. Didn't necessarily want to start the 30 day clock on support over this.

I'm waiting on a component coupler from monoprice in a few days so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm in the same boat... my 9 year old Toshiba RPTV only does 480i/480p/1080i as well and I didn't realize it might be an issue.
post #1008 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I posted that here, no one said anything besides the SD PQ was worst... At least as I know!

blackssr said that and msmlynarc said that... and they both own the WDTV1 believing in what they said!

After that microhaxo said he doesnt find any degradation in SD over WDTV1...

So... can someone else leave here more feedback on this matter?

Hi Goba,
Perhaps, instead of posting continuously about an issue you yourself haven't experienced personally, you hold off for a bit & let more people who actually are noticing a PQ problem post their comments, so that we have a more informed baseline of it. I'm sure if there truly IS a PQ problem with the WDTV Live (I myself don't have it, & I have both models) I'm pretty sure WD will get it taken care of pronto.
post #1009 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migsev View Post

Thanks for this. Looks like my next purchase will be a WD TV Live and a 1.5tb MyBook.

Hold up on that. I've got a spare drive that I can connect to my WDTV2 and I'll see if I can write to it from my Mac and let you know.
post #1010 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM

I have been very pleased with the WDTV Live so far. It is as good or better than my Popcorn Hour A-100 box. (The UI is certainly better)

The one issue that is annoying to me so far is that when the unit is accessing network shares it sees (and will display/play) all file types regardless of where they are. So if I am in the video section and go to an mp3 folder, it plays the music just as if I was in the audio section. This seems to be the issue that is causing the .jpg images to show in the video section as both thumbnails and actual files. Only seems to do this with network shares. Maybe this is an easy fix with a firmware update.
post #1011 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Could anybody be gracious to post here some pictures of the WDTV Live UI?
I can't find much on the net. I am curious to see it and compare to other UIs out there.

Thanks!
post #1012 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Hi Goba,
Perhaps, instead of posting continuously about an issue you yourself haven't experienced personally, you hold off for a bit & let more people who actually are noticing a PQ problem post their comments, so that we have a more informed baseline of it.

What was that about?

Thats exactly what I was asking...more feedback!

So.. for you the PQ in SD is exactly the same between models?

I just find strange that some people clearly state that SD PQ is worst and others say its the same! Maybe issues with some TVs? WDTV LIve HDMI problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I can't find much on the net. I am curious to see it and compare to other UIs out there.

Thanks!

Try here: http://www.wdtvlive.com/products/wdtv_live#highlights

post #1013 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinhster View Post

I'm waiting on a component coupler from monoprice in a few days so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm in the same boat... my 9 year old Toshiba RPTV only does 480i/480p/1080i as well and I didn't realize it might be an issue.

Who knows - might be just my box needs an RMA or I'm an idiot and have something set up wrong.

You can always just pick up the coupler at radioshack if you couldn't wait, like me . . .
post #1014 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagabond View Post

I don't understand why people are hostile to the WD guys who happen to be in these forums and work within the limited mandate they might have been given.

If WD does not want to reveal the cards right now , you just wait and watch.

+++++
WDguy has the right answer. if the WDTV2 does not suit your need then buy something else. Don't forget the WDTV2 is $129 so look at the value and what you pay for. Not to mention the vibrant WDTV community..
post #1015 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Here's my problem: While viewing an mkv over the network on my WD TV Live, the video stutters, but the audio is fine and in sync. It is an h.264 ripped to 2000+ Kb/s. My network is running a Powerline kit running 112Mb/s (I hope that's the right terminology) speed. I am able to stream most video from Playon! well. There are a few I have tried to watch that are out of audio/video sync, but I blame that on the website.

I have noticed that others seem to have an issue similar to this. Has anything been decided about what could be wrong? For me, I am just curious because I don't have an issue with moving my files to an external HDD. I am just trying to use the features of this unit to the maximum.

With me being a networking idiot, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #1016 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM

List of devices that can be connected to a WD TV Live HD Media Player
post #1017 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Thanks!

Here's a great YouTube walk through of the Live. Give you a good idea on how snappy it is too.
post #1018 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:

:

Try here: http://www.wdtvlive.com/products/wdtv_live#highlights

Thanks but not much there.
post #1019 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_2k View Post

Here's a great YouTube walk through of the Live. Give you a good idea on how snappy it is too.

Thanks man!

Yes, it looks pretty snappy. The guy was using through a network, I wonder if it gets faster if I use on a local HD.
I like the UI. Not bad.
I am thinking in giving a shot on this thing. Tired of waiting for a AppleTV 2.0.
post #1020 of 7092 Old 10-14-2009, 02:14 PM

Can i share my HDD that is connected to the WDTV Live and WRITE files to it??
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page