post #1081 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinHTPC View Post

Same exact thing occured to me on a VOB file. Plus it likes to drop of the network. Running more test tonight.

Try ISo's seem to play way better than VOBs, plus you can select language, audio and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also on my list of features (go to time and a faster fast forward) I wish they would have had added. I'm wondering if they added bookmarking.
post #1083 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post

Are you shitting me? Nice if they put that in the instructions.

Big ass cookie for you if you're right . . .

Can't be true, hooked mine up out the box with HDMI and it all worked, like it auto sensed what I had connected.

My Bad
post #1084 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Can't be true, hooked mine up out the box with HDMI and it all worked, like it auto sensed what I had connected.

tsk, tsk - re-read the original post: they're talking about problems with COMPONENT output, not HDMI. ^_^
post #1085 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlos View Post

I've been pouring through this thread looking for help, but nothing is working!

I'm on a WHS (Windows 2003) and I've got several shared folders... From what I can tell, they're in D:\\shares\\ and they're all shared to Everyone with read access... I've tried the 'allowanonymous' registry hack... No change.

I've turned off the media server connect functionality... No change.

Under 'File Management' it sees my WHS box no problem... But when I select it to view the files, it returns "There is no media in the current folder".

I've been waiting forever for this thing, and nothing works!

All of my media is on a WHS and i have no problem at all accessing my folders.

I just created an account in the Windows Home Server console and gave it access to my media folders, then I configured the WD TV Live to logon with those credentials.

You shouldn't have to do anything special at all for this to work on a WHS and it's all configured right from the WHS console.

The account I created has full read/write access.

There are a few ways to get to your files that you'll see on the WD TV Live.
One way is through media connect and the other way is directly accessing your shares.

I also have PlayOn installed on my WHS and configured that to access my media shares as well. So that's also another to get to your data.
post #1086 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvforme View Post

All of my media is on a WHS and i have no problem at all accessing my folders.

I just created an account in the Windows Home Server console and gave it access to my media folders, then I configured the WD TV Live to logon with those credentials.

You shouldn't have to do anything special at all for this to work on a WHS and it's all configured right from the WHS console.

How about some specifics?

In the WHS Settings (in the console), I have these settings:

1). Media Sharing: Music, Photos, Videos all set to 'On'.

2). Settings for DMS: 'Digital Media Server' = 'Disable' (should this be enabled)?

3). In my Shared Video folder, I have sub-folders (by genre, i.e. 'ACTION', 'DOCUMENTARY', etc.)... Do I also have to share those folders? I assumed that sharing & security settings would get propagated to sub-folders...

I've also noticed that when I access the WHS from the 'Media Library' option, it registers as HOMESERV:1, while when accessing from the 'Network Share' it's called just HOMESERV.

This was also happening when I accessed it from my XBOX360, and selecting HOMESERV never worked...

I'm kinda new to the whole 'home networking' thing, but I previously had the ASUS O!Play, which worked out of the box with no issues. I was hoping the WDTV Live would be as easy...
post #1087 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 PM

A couple of extra notes...

This works flawlessly with the D-Link DNS-323 NAS. Played back everything from 1080p MKVs to low res (320x240) sd content. Found the NAS with no problem whatsoever.

Also, it plays those annoying MJPEG encoded .AVI files that your point and shoot camera generates. It also plays the h.264 encoded .AVI files that the Creative Vado HD generates. This is great because the XBox 360 wouldn't play them, now I have one (quite small) box to play back all of my media.
post #1088 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvforme View Post

There are a few ways to get to your files that you'll see on the WD TV Live.
One way is through media connect and the other way is directly accessing your shares.

I'd love to be able to directly access my shares! All my videos are stored in the default 'Videos' folder that the WHS creates (in the 'Shared Folders on Server' shortcut on the server desktop when RDPed in). I think the 'actual' location is D:\\Shares\\Videos\\.

I've turned off the DMS settings (I don't want to connect via Windows Media Connect) as that won't let me play my .MKV files/anything with subs properly...

When the WDTV accesses my HOMESERV machine, what is it looking at for media? The root folder? What is the 'root' on the WHS?
post #1089 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaus View Post

I picked up a WDTV Live on Monday from BB. Everythign setup super easy. Little background, I have it connected to two computers that have media shared across my network. I have a older D-link wireless g router (not gigabit). My media is stored on a My Book external (usb) on one computer. While watching some stuff last night with the WDTV on the network, the shows would randomly stop or at least what I thought was random. I go to play them again, and they all stop in the same spots. I can fast forward through some of them and it will resumeplaying past the spot it stopped. I don't get error messages and it doesnt drop connection. But when I play the file on the local computer, it doesnt stop at those spots. Any ideas? The file types are MKV and its happening on a 1080p Star Trek and other HD MKV's

Ditto. I watched my network utilization on my router go from around 10mbs to close to nothing.. the sound drops out.. and the video just gets all glichy.. It happens in the same spots...

I'm on a wireless G router as well.. Linksys WRT54Gv8 using DD-WRT
post #1090 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:

I'd love to be able to directly access my shares!

Wow--fluked onto the answer. Apparently turning 'Media Sharing' 'Off' does the trick! Who would have thought?

Now the only problem left is that my various .jpg files for the thumbnails are showing up under the browser (as well as the .mkv files, with same art), making it a pain to navigate...

Is there some way to filter out the .jpg files? (Off to search).
post #1091 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Apparently turning 'Media Sharing' 'Off' does the trick!

where?
post #1092 of 7097 Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

where?

On the Windows Home Server console's 'Settings' section. I guess that controls the Windows Media Connect service... Once that was stopped, I could access the WHS box as a network share...

I'm still seeing the 'Media Server' option in the WDTV GUI though, and I can still connect to it... Bizarre.
post #1093 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On the Windows Home Server console's 'Settings' section. I guess that controls the Windows Media Connect service... Once that was stopped, I could access the WHS box as a network share...

I'm still seeing the 'Media Server' option in the WDTV GUI though, and I can still connect to it... Bizarre.

would u mind posting a frame/ss of this action. I assume you are talking abt your pc with window 7?
post #1094 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

would u mind posting a frame/ss of this action. I assume you are talking abt your pc with window 7?

WHS runs a variation of Windows Server 2003 (I think).

I turned all of the Media Sharing options to 'Off' and then enabled the Guest user. I think the latter is what did it.

I cleared the Network Password on the WDTV's 'Network Settings' page, and it's now not asking me for a password when I access the WHS from the 'Network Share' section of the WDTV GUI...

Now if only I can figure out how to stop it form displaying two thumbnails (one for movie.jpg and the same image for movie.mkv)...
post #1095 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

WHS runs a variation of Windows Server 2003 (I think).

I turned all of the Media Sharing options to 'Off' and then enabled the Guest user. I think the latter is what did it.

I cleared the Network Password on the WDTV's 'Network Settings' page, and it's now not asking me for a password when I access the WHS from the 'Network Share' section of the WDTV GUI...

Now if only I can figure out how to stop it form displaying two thumbnails (one for movie.jpg and the same image for movie.mkv)...

sorry ! I apologize i did not quite get it.
post #1096 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Wow--fluked onto the answer. Apparently turning 'Media Sharing' 'Off' does the trick! Who would have thought?

Now the only problem left is that my various .jpg files for the thumbnails are showing up under the browser (as well as the .mkv files, with same art), making it a pain to navigate...

Is there some way to filter out the .jpg files? (Off to search).

Something must be a bit flaky. I didn't turn off media sharing on my WHS.

All I did was create a user account in the WHS console and added shared folder access for that account.
Some of the folders I gave it access to were the original folders in the WHS, and some I created myself (yes you will see a shortcut for these on the desktop when RDP into the box).

If your Asus player connected without issue I would think you have a problem with the WD Live.

I would try just hitting the reset on the side of the WD TV Live and reconfiguring it.

You really shouldn't have to do anything out of the ordinary for this to work with WHS.
post #1097 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatty View Post

I've read through every page in this thread (although I've skipped over the pissing and moaning) and haven't seen anyone mention Jumbo Frames. Has anyone tried enabling this functionality on their NAS/Server device? Is this something that can be enabled on the WDTV? Might be something to look into for those trying to stream uncompressed HD content.

Jumbo Frames only work on Gigabit Ethernet, not on 100Mbit. The WD TV Live had 100Mbit, so no Jumboframe support.
post #1098 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmafightetnow View Post

no dvd full menu and no sub for other language?

anybody?
post #1099 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 01:02 AM

post #1100 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OK! Seagate is failed experiment! Flickering! possible problem with HDMI hand shake! Darn I hate these flaky products and appreciate my ps3 as much as I can despite its few idiosyncracies .

I have another WD LIVE to come in tomorrow from JR. I'll try messing around with it for a week, before accepting defeatt and hands up!
post #1101 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Just curious. Does the competing products' company you're buying from predict the future for you also?

No need, since it already does everything he needs it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

As someone else has pointed out in this thread, WD is the only company that I have seen represented in this media player forum by actual WD staff, listening & answering as best they can.

Sad if that's really the best they can do. We still got no answer why DVD Menus weren't supported (licensing costs, developing costs, licensing politics?), why on earth two colours of Vobsubs are locked to white (mere glitch, Sigma chipset limitations, illiterate programmers?), or if Uservoice actually was intended for picking up ideas for WDTV 2 rather than WDTV 1 firmware updates.

I'm also quite astonished to see people cheer on WDTV for it's half-assed approach of the community, given that the only way to survive in such a competitve market is to give people what they want. Other companies still stupid enough to ignore this reality will be learning the hard way, just ask Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijack View Post

And the sad truth is that they can update the firmware but only as a cortesy because they┬┤re not getting any more money from you...

So, fixing bugs like 24p in WDTV 1 is mere courtesy? Yeah, right.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #1102 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microhaxo View Post

I am getting mad. I just returned the belkin wireless USB and bought a Linksys wusb54gc device that is based on Ralink chipset.

Plug it into the WDTV live and hit network settings, network setup and then automatically detect and it still is unable to detect an ip.

so what am i doing wrong?

It is based on this
chipset: rt2800U/UD

What gives???
Edit, after checking my device has the exact same chipset as: the linksys WUSB600N. There is no reason why it shouldn't work. So am i doing something wrong here?

All the wireless USB sticks on that list seem to have the Ralink 2870 chipset.
But even if yours has the same chip (which I think it does), it won't work if the WD Live is looking for specific DeviceIDs (Vid/Pid), and yours has a different one from the ones on that list. If those deviceIDs are injected in the firmware, none other except the ones on that list will work.
post #1103 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboris View Post

Does this unit have issues with powerline transmitters?

Using powerline transmitters (ultimately to a NAS) I think are a must for me as I don't want to run cables all over my house, nor do I want to transport USBs, hard drives, etc.

And are there opinions with what specs I should look for in a powerline transmitter? Thanks for the info.

I believe most units are fine with homeplugs as long as they have sufficient bandwidth for the media being networked over them. Saying that, the odd one out seems to be the XTreamer which seems to have a serious network issue such that even with homeplug network which is more than fast enough, it will stutter. Other realtek players seem fine. See last post on this page -> http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic....=3710&start=10

So I'd imagine the WDTV Live should be fine over homeplugs, as long as they have a good enough connection...
post #1104 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post

I believe most units are fine with homeplugs as long as they have sufficient bandwidth for the media being networked over them. Saying that, the odd one out seems to be the XTreamer which seems to have a serious network issue such that even with homeplug network which is more than fast enough, it will stutter. Other realtek players seem fine. See last post on this page -> http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic....=3710&start=10

So I'd imagine the WDTV Live should be fine over homeplugs, as long as they have a good enough connection...

Xtreamer have a problem in Realtek SDK... that will be adressed this month!

You can see the Xtreamer firmware roadmap... I hope that WD could do the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

No need, since it already does everything he needs it to.

Sad if that's really the best they can do. We still got no answer why DVD Menus weren't supported (licensing costs, developing costs, licensing politics?), why on earth two colours of Vobsubs are locked to white (mere glitch, Sigma chipset limitations, illiterate programmers?), or if Uservoice actually was intended for picking up ideas for WDTV 2 rather than WDTV 1 firmware updates.

I'm also quite astonished to see people cheer on WDTV for it's half-assed approach of the community, given that the only way to survive in such a competitve market is to give people what they want. Other companies still stupid enough to ignore this reality will be learning the hard way, just ask Sony.

So, fixing bugs like 24p in WDTV 1 is mere courtesy? Yeah, right.

+1

I find the support from WD a little slow... too many things yet to be fixed in WDTV1!
post #1105 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote from: ScottWD on October 14, 2009, 09:19:10 PM
GPL code is on the way. Along with the current 1.01 firmware link.
post #1106 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indus3al View Post

Hope so, definately possible due to the fairly big memory the WD TV Live has got now, i would think.

How much ram memory WDTV Live does have now?
post #1107 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 AM

512MB Flash, 512MB RAM
post #1108 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goba View Post

Xtreamer have a problem in Realtek SDK... that will be adressed this month!

You can see the Xtreamer firmware roadmap... I hope that WD could do the same...

No other realtek based unit seems to show the same problem the XTreamer does over homeplugs... But yes, hopefully it's just some code somewhere that will get fixed in the imminent FW 2 update...
post #1109 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 03:31 AM

Asure; you`re right ... sorry just wanted to help...
post #1110 of 7097 Old 10-15-2009, 03:41 AM

Indu3al: You took that from a Eminent Europe corperate account reply on Tweakers.net and just replaced the EM7075 with WDTV2.
It won't work since there is no BT/Telnet etc. inside the WDTV2.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page