Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

WD better implement at least some of these features or do a proper 24p or they are not getting another cent out of me.

I'm sure THAT will stop them dead in their tracks.

If not, you might try holding your breath until you turn blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeader View Post

I'm sure THAT will stop them dead in their tracks.

If not, you might try holding your breath until you turn blue.

heh...thanks for the morning lolz
post #93 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Can i use this machine to have my hard drive act as a networked hard drive? Meaning to be able to access the HD plugged into the WDTV from any pc wirelessly.
post #94 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wonder why the hell WD do not show it on their website?
post #95 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I wonder why the hell WD do not show it on their website?

That might indicate that release of the product may not be anytime soon. If WD was going to release this thing soon they should be releasing information, there should be a web page with specifics to build buzz… maybe I am wrong but something does not seem right.
post #96 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Gapless audio?
Upgraded chip (i.e. more ReFrames)?
SMB? NFS? UPNP?
post #97 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post

Gapless audio?
Upgraded chip (i.e. more ReFrames)?
SMB? NFS? UPNP?

WD do not release info about the chip. We'll probably know when someone opens his and we take a look inside...
post #98 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Lack of DVD Menu support in this thing really kills it for me.

And because its a registered device, and MPAA doesn't allow it, there is no chance of it coming in the future either

I'll have to stick with Popcorn Hour.
post #99 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

DVD Menu support would be nice but for all this box does and cost I can live without it.

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #100 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post

DVD Menu support would be nice but for all this box does and cost I can live without it.

Agreed. Anyone who buys this should know what features it will and won't have, so griping about missing features seems a bit pointless.

My approach for viewing special features without a menu structure on the 1G is to create a folder under the movie title called "Extras," next to the VIDEO_TS folder. Then I copy all the vobs for the special features into the "Extras" folder. Sometimes I even rename them with the title of the feature (e.g., "Making of," Interview with..."). All the content on the disc is then easily accessible without needing the disc menu.

Takes ten seconds to add the folder and copy the files, and in many cases it's easier to access them that way than trying to navigate through a series of animated menus!
post #101 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymouru View Post

Takes ten seconds to add the folder and copy the files, and in many cases it's easier to access them that way than trying to navigate through a series of animated menus!

Come on, it's so much easier to whine about it

Animated menus, especially those that cannot be skipped to the selection buttons, are the Devil's work...
post #102 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 03:20 PM

http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital...4348954&sr=8-1

It's listed as Oct.13 for release in Canada.

Physical media is on the way out
post #103 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees2k3 View Post

Do we know yet if this device is going to support UnPn so that we can use playon?

anyone????
post #104 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees2k3 View Post

anyone????

I am not sure anyone knows yet. Seems WD has been pretty tight lipped about the full specs for this device. It is not even showing up on their website yet. I see that Amazon.ca claims they will ship the unit in Canada on Oct. 13. I have heard rumor that it will ship here in the U.S. on the 10th, but who knows for sure.

I hope that it does support something that will allow the streaming of premium sites like Netflx or Amazon.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #105 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr View Post

I am not sure anyone knows yet. Seems WD has been pretty tight lipped about the full specs for this device. It is not even showing up on their website yet. I see that Amazon.ca claims they will ship the unit in Canada on Oct. 13. I have heard rumor that it will ship here in the U.S. on the 10th, but who knows for sure.

I hope that it does support something that will allow the streaming of premium sites like Netflx or Amazon.

I thought WD r based in US! but no hoopla yet, no hands on reviews of pre release product
post #106 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 07:43 PM

The WD-TV SD Mini Media player by Western Digital was released without any hoopla. One day poof!! The links and pages appeared on the WD site. No early reviews by other sites and the WD team did not come on here to talk to us AVSers. In fact they have been gone for a while now! I miss those guys. Maybe all the complaints about their products drove them away?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Future-Of-..._byauthor_full
post #107 of 7092 Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM

ScottWD still has a public face, in the form of a twitter account that he updates every so often with WD news. rightfully though, they have more than enough reason to leave us all behind, after the vitriol that numerous forum members spewed upon them.
post #108 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Which wasn't toally uncalled for given the amount of bugs still present and serious questions not answered till today.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #109 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 AM

it was never the duty of Scott or Guy to be awash in a sea of venom, and anything less than complete civility from the forum-going apes that skulk here was more than an ample and rightful means for them to exit. every rude thing (and there were many which went beyond tactlessness) was absolutely uncalled for, bugs or not.

there's really no grounds for trying to justify any of it. a straightforward question is one thing, but constant barking about updates and bemoaning their "laziness" (as though they had ample time to address every issue while juggling numerous looming product releases) seemed to have become the only show in town in the WDTV threads.
post #110 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

I think they postponed the release in order to avoid falling behind the rest of the media player pack (not counting NMTs, these are a bit different in their aim)..now that all major competitors revealed their cards and capabilities (Asus, Xtreamer...) , probably additional fuctionality was being implemented from what was initially planned....the expectatios of the market change each and every day...
post #111 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshlol View Post

it was never the duty of Scott or Guy to be awash in a sea of venom, and anything less than complete civility from the forum-going apes that skulk here was more than an ample and rightful means for them to exit. every rude thing (and there were many which went beyond tactlessness) was absolutely uncalled for, bugs or not.

there's really no grounds for trying to justify any of it. a straightforward question is one thing, but constant barking about updates and bemoaning their "laziness" (as though they had ample time to address every issue while juggling numerous looming product releases) seemed to have become the only show in town in the WDTV threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshlol View Post

ScottWD still has a public face, in the form of a twitter account that he updates every so often with WD news. rightfully though, they have more than enough reason to leave us all behind, after the vitriol that numerous forum members spewed upon them.

They brought it on themselves, with their pompous announcements like "We have big plans for this player" and their inability to fix major bugs
post #112 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 06:45 AM

Josh,

Do you happen to have Scott or Guy's fax number? I need it so I can fax them a magic wand so they can "fix" every bug overnight, and add any arbitrary new feature in a flash. We need to keep the rabble happy, ya know.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
post #113 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

They brought it on themselves, with their pompous announcements like "We have big plans for this player" and their inability to fix major bugs

Actually....no they didn't. There are quite a few people on this board who seemed to confuse "bugs" with "feature creep", wanting the player to do things it was never capable (or advertised as being able to do), so they called them bugs.
As far as there "big plans for this player", I think that 1.5+ million sold worldwide is a pretty big "plan" for this niche market device. And the new WDTV Live appears to add even more options to an already excellent media player.
As for bugs, they fixed quite a few of those too.
Oh & publicly cussing out people that you want to help you is kinda like poking a stick in a dog's eye who is chained to your ankle. It's doubtful he'll lick you hand...
post #114 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 AM

No,sir. I'm not talking about features, just plain old BUGS (like picture-audio-subtitle sync).

The first WD sold well because of price and company name. Oh, and tricky marketing (about half or more of the 1,5 million buyers, including myself, learned a few hours after they bought it what DTS downmix is). But that's not a bug (a $10 dvd player does that though), it's just a feature, right?

Keep the dog kind of comments to yourself...
post #115 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Keep the dog kind of comments to yourself...

As to your "pompous" pronouncement of WD then I'll ask you to do the same.
post #116 of 7092 Old 10-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Liked: 16
So WD made a kickass little device that pissed people off because it didn't support every piece of pirated media they had, boohoo.

Scott was cool enough to come on here and take recommendations and give feedback and got **** on in return... Can't blame him for ditching. Oh and DTS Downmixing isn't available on any $10 (or hell, $20) dvd player I've seen. But in the case of the WDTV, it was well known early on that it didn't support DTS Downmix, 30 seconds of research, not good enough? Move along.

FWIW, I actually had very few synching issues with the thing.
post #117 of 7092 Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:

So WD made a kickass little device that pissed people off because it didn't support every piece of pirated media they had, boohoo

True dat!!!

I have ripped my entire DVD collection (all 250) for viewing on my WD TV. I have not had a single video file that had sync inssues if I had done it right. Admittedly there were a few that did, but I figured out that I had the settings wrong while ripping. I have a nice, convenient little "delete" button. I made swift use of it and started over. Problem solved.

As for subtitle sync issues, I have had several, but there is a function in Subtitle Edit by which you can synce subtitle to audio. Again, I made swift use of it.

Moral of the story: "Blame the rip and the ripper, not the player!"

post #118 of 7092 Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

I have never seen a DVD player that does DTS downmix either...if it does it does so illegally...people must be mistaking this for something else...
post #119 of 7092 Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 PM

@ Derelict_Drvr What software are you using to rip your DVD collection? I have run into trouble with a few of my movies using AutoGK. (Audiosync issues!!) I have over 100 DVD's which I transfered the majority of to play on the WD-TV.
post #120 of 7092 Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBarca View Post

http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital...4348954&sr=8-1

It's listed as Oct.13 for release in Canada.

It's almost twice the price of the Asus O!Play which has very similar capabilities.

pmcd
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page