Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post

Just got mine from local Best Buy for $99.99.

Sweet - they had one column of both WDTV 1 & 2 stacked up and labeled 99.99 on the shelf. It rang up at the register for $139, I mentioned the shelf label, he walked back to the wrong dept, I caught him and took him over to the shelf, he knelt down and did a quick visual check and assumed they were all the same and pricematched for me to $99. Mgr asked him if he looked up a ticket or something for it and he fibbed and said "yeah".

Happy Birthday to me

On another note - are they freaking kidding with the length of the component cable? Do they not realize that a lot of us are using component because it's all we've got on a older CRT RPTV? The cable won't even reach halfway down from the top where I'll put the box to the hookups at the bottom.

Guess I need to pick up a 3.5mm (or whatever it is) extension cable of some sort - anybody got guesses if that will fubar the video signal?

be careful to get the proper extension, this is not a standard 2 wire jack. I suspect it would be a hard one to find. Likely to be much easier to buy the barrel couplings and adding an additional 3 wire RCA cable.

I agree it is an awfully short cable. I suspect they assume most that would use it would just be plugging it into a receiver/select switch rather than running it to a TV in an entertainment center. I would have thought the same! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharp.windev View Post

Would WDTV Live be able to see a device such as the Rosewill R2-JBOD Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 DUAL-BAY External Enclosure (newegg has this - couldn't link it b/c I'm new to this forum and haven't had 3 posts yet)?

Since it's limited to 2 USB ports, and no usb hub support from my understanding, I'd like to insert 2 2TB drives into this enclosure to connect to WDTV Live box.

Think something like this is possible or would WDTV Live not be able to see it?

I have a WDTV1 and just hooked up my Rosewill R2-JBOD that you mentioned and it see's it just fine. I have 2 1TB drives in it. The R2-JBOD has 2 settings in it, one that lets your pc see both drives seperately (this is my setting) and one that combines both drives into one drive. When I plugged it into my WDTV1 and selected USB2 (USB1 has a flash drive in it) it see's both 1 TB drives and I was able to access and play movies from both.

Hopefully it will work the same on the WDTV2.
post #1173 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown101 View Post

I have a WDTV1 and just hooked up my Rosewill R2-JBOD that you mentioned and it see's it just fine. I have 2 1TB drives in it. The R2-JBOD has 2 settings in it, one that lets your pc see both drives seperately (this is my setting) and one that combines both drives into one drive. When I plugged it into my WDTV1 and selected USB2 (USB1 has a flash drive in it) it see's both 1 TB drives and I was able to access and play movies from both.

Great! Thank you very much for responding.
post #1174 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am a total noob and do not own a player of any kind. (But I will.)

I was travelling today and bought the Dec 2009 ver of MAXIMUM PC. There is some stuff about getting shares to work right in XP, Vista, and Home Server.

Like I said, I'm a noob, but I thought of all you guys. Maybe this isn't even on point to the problems people are having, and maybe the know-how represented here goes far beyond. Anyway, here is what it said:

SEARCH NETWORK SHARES

Searching network shares is easy, if you have access to the machine that is hosting those shares. Installing Windows Desktop Search 4.0 on a Windows machine that supports it will make any shares hosted on that machine searchable by the user. That applies to XP, Vista and Home Server.

If you want to search non-Windows network shares, you'll need to install a third party tool, such as Copernic Desktop Search Pro (copernicDOTcom) $50
post #1175 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Has anyone tried to put two WDTV Live on the network, attach two HDDs to one device, use it as a NAS and stream video to another WDTV? Is this thing feasible?
post #1176 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapfsr View Post

Thanks Chris.....do you just add the pic the the folder that contains the movie?
Thanks

Yes, and remember that they both have to be named EXACTLY the same:

Pitch Black.mkv
Pitch Black.jpg
post #1177 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown101 View Post

Very cool!
post #1178 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you who have tried BD iso's, have you tried one that has branching (or multiple m2ts files)?

Also -- for thumbnails to show up... would folder.jpg work? I havent tried any pictures, but remember seeing a thumbnail for an audio folder that had a folder.jpg inside of it.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #1179 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM

folder.jpg works fine for me I picked my Live up tonight, set it up, and it saw my DNS-323 NAS instantly, and thankfully had no issues with finding .mkv's. Works perfectly with anything I tried so far. Very quick menus as well. Also tested the True HD and DTS-MA which passed through fine to my receiver. I got it at BB in Canada and they price matched an online retailer who had it for $129.
post #1180 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Whats a CRT?

I will answer you.

A CRT is a Cathode Ray Tube.

In other words a standard TV set with a picture tube. NOT a HDTV with DLP, Plasma, LCD or LED screen that displays the video.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #1181 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I am a total noob and do not own a player of any kind. (But I will.)

I was travelling today and bought the Dec 2009 ver of MAXIMUM PC. There is some stuff about getting shares to work right in XP, Vista, and Home Server.

Like I said, I'm a noob, but I thought of all you guys. Maybe this isn't even on point to the problems people are having, and maybe the know-how represented here goes far beyond. Anyway, here is what it said:

SEARCH NETWORK SHARES

Searching network shares is easy, if you have access to the machine that is hosting those shares. Installing Windows Desktop Search 4.0 on a Windows machine that supports it will make any shares hosted on that machine searchable by the user. That applies to XP, Vista and Home Server.

If you want to search non-Windows network shares, you'll need to install a third party tool, such as Copernic Desktop Search Pro (copernicDOTcom) $50

Welcome to technology...
post #1182 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logon2008 View Post

Has anyone tried to put two WDTV Live on the network, attach two HDDs to one device, use it as a NAS and stream video to another WDTV? Is this thing feasible?

Well my PCs can see the drives attached to the WDTV Live and the content on them, When I click a file it streams fine to my PC and plays back via VLC Media Player with no problems.

So I don't see why one WDTV Live on the network would not be able to see the drives attached to another WDTV Live on the same network and play them.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

It's life Jim..... But not as we know it.
post #1183 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM

So is it true that the Live has worse PQ than the previous version?
post #1184 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM

Just got one of these today.

The good news is that I love how it gladly plays any mkv I've thrown at it. It freaks out on some of the subtitles since some videos have multiple things subbed at once though. It isn't a major problem yet but can foresee some videos I have where it may cause problems. For instance it will result in only the subtitle for some signage showing up causing line of spoken dialogue subtitle to not appear, or situations where dialogue and a song are being subtitled at the same time. It seems to pick whichever one is higher on the screen on PC playback. The subtitle options need updating to correct this so two things being subbed at once will show correctly!

The biggest head scratcher I have is how it utterly chokes on some old SD avi (XviD) files I have from four years ago. Audio keeps playing fine, but the video breaks up and stops for a few seconds every few seconds. Makes the videos utterly unwatchable. How can this like my 720 mkv videos so much and hate some of these old 480 avi at the same time? Mind you not all of my old avi files are doing this. Just particular ones.
post #1185 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post

So is it true that the Live has worse PQ than the previous version?

Where did you hear that?
Or is it your observation.
post #1186 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 03:52 PM

This is a lot to ask but I got a 300MB file I'd like to try and see if it works in the WD2 it won't work right in the first one. Anyone willing to help me out? The file is an anime.
post #1187 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:11 PM

@Topdawg-

If you can rar it into 3 100MB files and upload it to Hotfile or Rapidshare, I would be glad to test it.

Post the links here

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
post #1188 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Am I alone on this? I was testing this and my Acer AspireRevo w/XBMC Live earlier today connected directly via HDMI to my LCD TV. With the WDTV Live, Dolby Digital and DTS will send stereo over HDMI. Great.

But then I brought it up to my home theater and hooked it up to my A/V Receiver (no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD support, just Dolby Digital and DTS) and it still sends stereo over HDMI. OK. So I go into Settings / A/V Settings, and change audio to "Digital". Well, now I get no audio at all being sent over HDMI to my receiver. Actually, I think my receiver is reporting that it's getting multi-channel audio (though it doesn't report DTS when the DVD .iso file I played I know definitely has only a DTS soundtrack), but I don't hear anything.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #1189 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr View Post

@Topdawg-

If you can rar it into 3 100MB files and upload it to Hotfile or Rapidshare, I would be glad to test it.

Post the links here

Thanks man someone also PMed said they would help out. Nice people on here. I'm at work right now will do it tonight. It's ranma for whatever reason on the first WD the video would skip god awful.
post #1190 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Meero:. View Post

My second big issue with the WDTV Live (first issue here, Component output now working) is with (you guessed it!) network connection not working:

When I connect the WDTV Live with cable to my Linksys WAG54GS, I can't get even basic network connection to work; the network LEDs on the back of the device blinks rapidly for a moment, then the network settings change from all zeros. Most of the time it change to

IP address: 169.254.57.205
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS: 0.0.0.0

which as far as I can tell is completely wrong (my router is 192.168.1.1). Sometimes it change to

IP address: 192.168.1.106
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

which looks about right for my network. Still no network connection. Sometimes the DNS is set to 212.159.6.10 which I think is my ISPs actual DNS. With this latter setting I did briefly have a working connection; I could ping the WDTV, view its content by browsing \\\\192.168.1.106\\ from my PC, and even view some YouTube videos, but it only lasted for a few minutes. With the DNS 192.168.1.1 I also briefly had a connection once; I could see the description of some YouTube videos, but no actual videos, and it only lasted for a minute. Configuring the network settings manually yields no better result.

The above is when I just plug the network cable in and view the network settings from the "Network setup" screen. When I press the "Automatic" button on that screen, most of the time I can't get an IP address but sometimes it completes successfully, but still can't access the network. When selecting "Check connection" it most often fail on the "DNS Server", but even on the few occasions the connection checks out it still doesn't actually work.

Interestingly, I've never ever seen the "Selection your network type: Wired or Wireless" screen that the Users Guide show on page 54. Do you guys see it? Every time you plug in the network cable? Can't find it in any of the menus.

Another thing is that when I first got the device I plugged in a wifi dongle that turned out to be unsupported (never saw the network type dialog then either) and it prevented the device form shutting down. Can this have caused my problems? I've reset the device several times since (Factory Reset in the menu and hard reset by pressing the tiny button in the hole next to the USB1 port).

Any ideas? Thanks!

that IP in bold means you have 'no ip address'..its looking, but hasnt found one yet.

someone might want make a network help thread.
keep it simple/never make too many changes-dont get click happy.
post #1191 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Has anyone gotten their entire collection of music files to be displayed as thumbnails of the album art when sorting by artist and/or album and/or file? ...out of the box, the wdtv2 seemed to give some cover art for the thumbnails of a random few, but the vast majority, nothing...I've tried adding the pic as folder.jpg inside the folder with the flac or mp3 files, but the pic (album cover) doesn't show up when selecting the artist, album or file views, only the default wdtv2 icon...frustrating.
post #1192 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:37 PM

One thing I have noticed is the wdtv live doesn't power my usb drives all the way down like I have read it did. It does the same as the wdtv1, it spins it down but the hard drive LED is still on. My drives are WD 2TB My Book Essentials.
I found this to be a let down.
post #1193 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo0321 View Post

Anyone up for developing a media player? Take all the good things from all these players and fix all the stuff that doesn't work?

The perfect media player would also be a recorder that contained dual ATSC/QAM tuners and also would record all 1080i/720p via component Ã* la the Hauppauge HD PVR.

Build it and I will buy it.
post #1194 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkpbrowns View Post

One thing I have noticed is the wdtv live doesn't power my usb drives all the way down like I have read it did. It does the same as the wdtv1, it spins it down but the hard drive LED is still on. My drives are WD 2TB My Book Essentials.

It turns the LED off on my WD 1 TB My Book drive when hitting the power button.
post #1195 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkpbrowns View Post

Wouldn't it need to be usb powered 2.5" for complete power down?
post #1196 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:50 PM

I haven't tried the 2.5' USB powered drives. I have read others stating it worked with their AC powered USB My Book Drives.
I just hooked up my WD 1TB My Book drives and it will not power it off either.
I bought two units (one for the bedroom) and neither powers it off.
post #1197 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hmm, i just ordered a samsung story 1.5tb drive. I wasn't expecting it to shutoff manually.

I just checked the specs and it says it has a smart power on/off, wonder if it will shut down automatically with the wdtv live.
post #1198 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

The perfect media player would also be a recorder that contained dual ATSC/QAM tuners and also would record all 1080i/720p via component Ã* la the Hauppauge HD PVR.

Build it and I will buy it.

Congratulations DocuMaker! Youo just invented the TiVo HD!!

Way to go!!!!!!!

post #1199 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Here's an update that makes no sense. I hooked up a 2.5" usb powered drive and the wdtv live powered it all the way off. I then hooked back up my 2TB AC powered WD MY Book's and it is now powering it off. I don't understand why it is working now but it is and I am pleased.
On another note, I tested some standard definition files and they look great. I have a PS3 and the same SD files look better on the WDTV live than the PS3 for me. The bluray rips look great too of course.
post #1200 of 7092 Old 10-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Just got mine. Plugged in a network cable, HDMI (via a DVI adapter to my PC monitor) and powered it up. Got an IP address via DHCP automatically and could browse my NAS server (http://www.serverelements.com/naslite-2.php). Playing a .mkv now from the server - no noticeable dropped frames or other problems (note I don't have sound hooked up yet - this is just a quick test before I relocate it to my home theatre). Router is a DLink DI-724GU.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page