Western Digital - WD TV Live Media Player (WDTV2) - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Weird, when i turn on the wdtv live it takes about 20 seconds for the local drive to be recognized. After that i go to shares and i dont have any options. Under Media shares it sees the computer right away but there is "no contents in the folder" Under shares it doesnt see it, i have to start watching a different movie or wait and then 3 - 5 min later it sees it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it possible to install a torrent client on WD TV Live?
post #1503 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzmuda View Post

A couple of extra notes...

Also, it plays those annoying MJPEG encoded .AVI files that your point and shoot camera generates. It also plays the h.264 encoded .AVI files that the Creative Vado HD generates. This is great because the XBox 360 wouldn't play them, now I have one (quite small) box to play back all of my media.

I hope this is really true. If so I will be very happy. I have so many .avi files from my Canon S5IS and until I save up the money for a HD camcorder, that is what I am using to record video. However, When I try to play them on the WDTV1 only SOME of them will play and some of them freeze up during playback. I then have to shut down the unit and unplug it. (Otherwise, if I try to play ANY other media file it gives me an error message (Incompatible format or something like that).

Have you tested many of these mjpeg videos on the WDTV2?
post #1504 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer View Post

Is it possible to install a torrent client on WD TV Live?

Not yet, but possibly soon based on what's going on over at http://www.b-rad.cc
post #1505 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedProductions View Post

I am running a WHS box and everything can be seen and played on the WD TV Live except .mkv files.

I have seen this question asked several times, but I cannot find an answer.

Why can I not see .mkv files?

Not sure if someone else has answered this... WHS doesnt directly support streaming of MKV files which is why they do not show up. You either have to transcode the file or re-wrap in a new container. The other option is to use a third party streaming utility that supports MKV.

I havent tried this, but perhaps if you were to rename the MKV extension to something that WHS exposes (.avi), then it may allow WD Live to play it. For example file.mkv --> rename to file_mkv.avi (that way you know it's an mkv)

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #1506 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 02:01 PM

@zoro-

You're welcome.

I don't have any rips with those audio tracks. I don't use an A/V receiver so all of mine are ac3 or mp3. Sorry.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #1507 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Not sure if someone else has answered this... WHS doesnt directly support streaming of MKV files which is why they do not show up. You either have to transcode the file or re-wrap in a new container. The other option is to use a third party streaming utility that supports MKV.

I havent tried this, but perhaps if you were to rename the MKV extension to something that WHS exposes (.avi), then it may allow WD Live to play it. For example file.mkv --> rename to file_mkv.avi (that way you know it's an mkv)

WHS doesn't support streaming from Media Center but does support "streaming" .mkv from a share. The best option is to put .mkv files into a share and use the "Network Share" option instead of "Media Servers" option on the WD TV Live to browse your .mkv. Set up a user named anonymous with no password in WHS so there is minimal typing. You don't need to do any conversion, re-wrapping or transcoding with an .mkv on WHS.

Only thing currently broken on WD TV Live is that on a "Network Share", the .jpg files for thumbnails don't work like they do if you plug a USB drive in. Hopefully that will get fixed quickly.
post #1508 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4public View Post

Did anybody have success with TVersity?
WDTV Live can see my server and shows all movies from TVersity library,
but does not play - showing rolling waiting roll on the screen if I push play button

Since the WDTV is new, there is no profile for it. In the setup screen leave the setting as autodectect and the transcoding on when needed. This will transcode the internet stuff for you. When sharing a network folder via tversity click on the advanced tab and select never for transcoding since the WDTV can play most files directly.
Make sure you have opened a port on your router and firewall for tversity. And that your firewall is also open for the WDTV as well. This did it for me and I was able to watch several episodes of TV via Hulu and use Tversity as a media server for my local content.
post #1509 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

You have already asked this question.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17377855

The unit is simply exposing a share. There is no difference between this share and any other share you might have on your network. There is no "special" access my WD TV feature from the internet feature.

So, again, it's going to be a lot easier if you grab that little USB stick when you leave the house.
Think about what you are asking. Taking the stick with you is going to be so much easier on many levels.

I don't want or have the option to grab the usb stick. I have to gain access to various LIVE units remotely and be able to send files to them. So how does one set up their router and network to allow access from the internet?
post #1510 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can the WDTV Live serve ice cold beer? If not then it's a deal breaker for me.
post #1511 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

Yeah, it's under settings/drinks/beer/temperature. Mine was serving it room temp until I saw the temperature option.
post #1512 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD TV View Post

I don't want or have the option to grab the usb stick. I have to gain access to various LIVE units remotely and be able to send files to them. So how does one set up their router and network to allow access from the internet?

Can you explain the full picture of what exactly you are trying to accomplish by doing it that way?
post #1513 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post

Yeah, it's under settings/drinks/beer/temperature. Mine was serving it room temp until I saw the temperature option.

Sounds complicated. Is there a firmware update to make it default to ice cold or maybe a 'bluer than blue' indicator as it automatically cools?
post #1514 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM

i am not sure if anyone has already answered this, but if i use HDMI out to my TV, can I still get audio out via SPDIF? or will it only output audio once?

I use a 5.1 receiver for audio without passing it through my TV.

Please let me know.
Thanks
post #1515 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD TV View Post

Again, there is nothing different about these units than any other "share" on a network behind a router on the internet. If you want network access for multiple ports and protocols then you need network access between point A and point B. This has nothing to do with the WD Live unit. Your solution is a networking and access issue and not an issue with this product.

If you see it some other way please explain otherwise asking the same question is going to keep getting you the same answer.

You may want to actually state what you are doing instead of making some example about you are at a friend and your usb stick is at home. Clearly you have more requirements you haven't revealed. It actually sounds more like a business and not personal use.

You may want to google VPN and Router.
post #1516 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 08:45 PM

Hmm, well my windows 7 share is no longer visible to the WDTV live, it sees the Media share but i dont have anything in there, it does not see my computer under network shares.

Hopefully this is fine tuned with an update.
post #1517 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 PM

I'm glad I found this forum before I get my new toy and start test it.
So, that's different between PS3 and WD TV Live? I have a previous model WDTV, were working fine till last couple weeks, for some reason IR doesn't recognized remote(call to customer service and will get replacement). I really would like to update for the new model, but again, what is different between Live and PS3. I can stream any format video, audio, pictures from any PC or MAC to PS3 using PS3 Media Server. The one thing bother me, it's when PS3 MS transcoding existing video file to format playable on PS3, by doing this I think quality get reduced. Does it worth it to spend another $ if I have PS3???
post #1518 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambula View Post

I'm glad I found this forum before I get my new toy and start test it.
So, that's different between PS3 and WD TV Live? I have a previous model WDTV, were working fine till last couple weeks, for some reason IR doesn't recognized remote(call to customer service and will get replacement). I really would like to update for the new model, but again, what is different between Live and PS3. I can stream any format video, audio, pictures from any PC or MAC to PS3 using PS3 Media Server. The one thing bother me, it's when PS3 MS transcoding existing video file to format playable on PS3, by doing this I think quality get reduced. Does it worth it to spend another $ if I have PS3???

I agree! There is nothing better than Ps3. I had one since it was released. It had been getting better since. These dinkie winkie stuff are nothing but PITA**
post #1519 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 PM

I'm trying to confirm if I found a bug in the WD TV Live.

I moved a few iPhone 3Gs .mov videos off of my phone onto my server. When I try to
stream them from a network share the video plays fine, but I get no audio. The audio track is displayed as AAC but i hear nothing.

If I stream them back connecting to my PlayOn! server everything works fine.

If someone has an iPhone could you see if you run into the same problem?
post #1520 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I agree! There is nothing better than Ps3. I had one since it was released. It had been getting better since. These dinkie winkie stuff are nothing but PITA**

...except of course when you have no use for gaming ability & don't want to spend the $$ for something you won't use 1/2 of...
post #1521 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by exander View Post

I searched but couldn't find a solution.

I have my Live connected to the component in on my stereo and then it goes to the RPTV.

When I switch the input to the WDTV I can see the WD logo but the screen is sort of flipping and then it goes completely blue. I can't figure it out.

HELP! Anyone.......

2 issues:

1 - the "flipping" sounds like a PAL/NTSC issue - if you hold the reset button down for 10 secs, it switches between them.

2 - blue screen on component hookup is because the genius that wrote the quickstart and manual, never bothered to explain that you have to use composite first and then change menu settings to component.
post #1522 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

...except of course when you have no use for gaming ability & don't want to spend the $$ for something you won't use 1/2 of...

well, then for 1/2 price you get 10x more headache lol. point well taken.
post #1523 of 7092 Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvforme View Post

I'm trying to confirm if I found a bug in the WD TV Live.

I moved a few iPhone 3Gs .mov videos off of my phone onto my server. When I try to
stream them from a network share the video plays fine, but I get no audio. The audio track is displayed as AAC but i hear nothing.

If I stream them back connecting to my PlayOn! server everything works fine.

If someone has an iPhone could you see if you run into the same problem?

I have h.264 with AAC audio videos on my iPhone. The extension is .mp4 as I encoded them with Turbo H.264 HD from ElGato and they used that extension for their iPod best setting. They play fine on the WDTV Live from a local USB drive and also when streaming from a NAS. The audio is there.

pmcd
post #1524 of 7092 Old 10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

Unfortunately it serves beer but at room temperature. You could move to a colder climate.

pmcd
post #1525 of 7092 Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Unfortunately it serves beer but at room temperature. You could move to a colder climate.
pmcd

Is this doemstic (Bud, Coors, Miller)? or a micro brew, if it is a dark armber micro brew I'll get 3 as long and the pretzels aren't stale! It does make fresh pretzels doesn't it? or can someone hack the firmware, spicy nachos would also be acceptable.
post #1526 of 7092 Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 AM

I've done it

WDLXTV-LIVE-0.1

pre-pre-release-beta, read the post and respond there about it.

post #1527 of 7092 Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
That was quick... you are the man... Now, just to decide to get a WDTV Live or not. Decisions, decisions.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #1528 of 7092 Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

woah woah woah... Homebrew firmware for it??
post #1529 of 7092 Old 10-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Yes, you can transfer files either via ethernet cable or wirelessly via your network to an external hdd connected to your WDTVLive. That is how I do it. Saves having to drag your hdd from room to room

Ok thanks i guess there is no usb slave function(guess that's what it called) cant copy from one drive to another when they are both attached to the Wd Tv live
post #1530 of 7092 Old 10-20-2009, 03:03 AM

My apologies for not going through the 50+ pages to see if this has been addressed but I read on one post that someone had better luck streaming a .mkv from a PC media server than streaming from his Dlink NAS.
I am ready to pull the trigger on the WD Live but also want to get either an HP MediaSmart Server, or a NAS.

Can anyone comment on if large .mkv's will stream better from the HP MediaSmart or a NAS? Both will be connected wired, not wireless.

Is there a link that explains what the differences are between streaming from a NAS and streaming from a media server? I am assuming the NAS is simply displaying a file on a share, but is that any different that what the MediaSmart is doing? If I may venture a guess maybe the WD has to do more work to a media file if it just sitting on a NAS than if it is being 'served' by a Media server... and that extra processing is why the movie may stutter when being streamed from a NAS.

Or possibly the DLink 323 NAS wasn't made for streaming .mkv's? Maybe a better performing NAS would do the trick like a Netgear, Synology, or Buffalo?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page