Popcorn C-200 Alternatives Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The C-200 started selling today, but, what alternatives are there and when with the other NMT manufacturers catch up? I see a number of other NMT makers, and figure they're all made in China anyway and run the same Syabas firmware. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wi...x.php/Products mentions Digitek, Kaiboer, eGreat, Shenzhen Elektron, etc. I guess we need one with similar expandability and hardware to the Popcorn Hour.

I actually went to buy a PCH C-200 tonight, but they just tick me off. They said it would ship in July, but the first units won't ship until September. Then you stay up until 3AM for the privilege of buying one tonight, and their website crashes for hours. Finally I get through, and guess what, $12 for the remote, and $30 for shipping. And lets face it, PCH owners are just annoyingly smug, kind of like a bunch of insurance reps standing around in a big circle waxing their buicks and admiring their reflections in the paint.

Is WD going to follow up on their WD-TV with a larger version? Mostly what I care about from the C-200 is the gigabit ether and the DTS downmix, maybe also the internal HDD (though I'd like mac format supported like WD does) and the BD folder capability (assuming that proves out). Or will eGreat catch up eventually. Or maybe the Xtreamer is the answer, it ships with wireless N and wired built in, plus DTS with stereo downmix. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155845 No gigabit though and I suspect it won't play BD backup folders in practice. Still for 99 Euros it seems like the next notch up from my WD. Though I'd prefer something that will take a 3.5" HDD internal.

I've found a full blown HTPC with TMT plays BD backup folders just great, including the TrueHD. I would be pleased to see WD TV or Xtreamer or PCH C-200 or Plex-on-the-mac do this, but I'm skeptical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Liked: 10
popcorn hour i assume will be first to market with these new NMT's. A few months later a lot of C-200 copies will come out from the other companies you mentioned. But the popcorn hour definitely should be first by far so i wouldn't wait for the other companies to copy it.

i'm seeing some stiff competition from ion already:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1140846&page=3

Once the ion systems get a little easier to set up and maybe cheaper and once C-200 comes out for real and gets the inevitable kinks worked out they will both be top options
post #3 of 22 Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Tag View Post

I actually went to buy a PCH C-200 tonight, but they just tick me off. They said it would ship in July, but the first units won't ship until September. Then you stay up until 3AM for the privilege of buying one tonight, and their website crashes for hours. Finally I get through, and guess what, $12 for the remote, and $30 for shipping. And lets face it, PCH owners are just annoyingly smug, kind of like a bunch of insurance reps standing around in a big circle waxing their buicks and admiring their reflections in the paint.

The $12 is for an IR module (which is just a standard module, you can use your own if you want to) and only needed if you need IR control. The C-200 ships standard with an RF remote, free of charge

Just 0.02 from a sumg PCH owner

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #4 of 22 Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is only one alternative to c-200: HDi Dune BD Prime 3.0
http://www.virtualmarket.ifa-berlin....on=showCompany

The pch website did crash but was fixed in no time (considering) so no biggie. $12 for an IR receiver plus additional white remote (exact as the RF one) is a steal c'mon. $30 for shipping consider yourself lucky, some of us had to pay over $80, those in europe will pay an addional 15% on top of the price and shipping. You are correct about the smuggness, though, comes with the territory of being the "best". (no competitor yet, atleast before sept 4 that is)
post #5 of 22 Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Maybe you PCH owners are not all that bad after all.

Does the C-200 put TrueHD or DTS-HD ma out the HDMI?
post #6 of 22 Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty sure it bitstreams truehd/dts hd ma but cannot pass these as lpcm just yet (better firmware needed). Any player today that doesn't bitstream these codecs would be doomed. Sony have finally added bitsreaming to the new ps3 slim.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

It does bitstream the HD audio codecs. Also, the price that they charge for the IR receiver (and another remote) is their cost with no markup.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #8 of 22 Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In the spirit of adding value to your request you have the HDI Dune prime devices, and others, but specifically what are you looking to do? and what are your budgets?

now I don't own one of these yet...been on the fence since the good old Roku days...But I have to say your take on this is pretty jaded....and if your willing to start a flame war over your inability to buy one of these at the very start of the first release day..why all the angst?

Cheers,

Requis
post #9 of 22 Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

I apologize again for getting hot under the collar, and I appreciate again that you PCH guys are game enough to work with me. I still think PCH jerked their customers around but if this C-200 is everything its expected to be, my hats off to them.

Right now I have a WD TV in the TV room for the kids, and an HTPC in the projector room. I want to upgrade the WD TV to something that bridges the gap. There is no question that a full blown HTPC running windows, with Total Media Theater and a Xonar HDAV-SLIM card, can do everything. But I'm sure I'm not alone in noticing that keeping that HTPC running requires almost daily tweaking, changing codecs in MPC, etc. etc. It is in no way suitable for my wife and kids to operate it.

My conclusion is what I and others want is a device that not only does everything, but does it effortlessly, and costs as little as possible. Thus the question is, what devices come close to this ideal. Everyone is expecting the PCH C-200 to be this holy grail.

If I have to sacrifice features, I suppose I'm willing to give up BD, I'm not willing to give up "easy as pie for the wife and kids to use". Really what I'd like is a WD TV on steroids that had gigabit wired ethernet, accepted a 3.5" internal drive, and did DTS and DTS downmix to stereo. If I want to be greedy I'd as to also add wireless N, and ability to add a BD drive, and play BD "backup folders".

The C-200 doesn't let you add BOTH an internal 3.5 and an internal BD drive. I'd like to be re-assured that it will handle a BD backup folder (maybe even over the network), and that the bitstream output (over HDMI?) preserves every bit of the TrueHD/ma HD audio format. I imagine I am not the only one in this situation with this world view and with these questions.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I apologize again for getting hot under the collar, and I appreciate again that you PCH guys are game enough to work with me. I still think PCH jerked their customers around but if this C-200 is everything its expected to be, my hats off to them.

No worries, still not sure how you get to a point that PCH jerked their customers around...if anything the company near as I can tell is extremely supportive...okay they may be experiencing some growing pains..but their involvement in the community is pretty impressive. Anyways I'll stop there and say give em another shot...I just ordered a C-200 and have decided to get back in the game as a tester tinker...

Quote:

Right now I have a WD TV in the TV room for the kids, and an HTPC in the projector room. I want to upgrade the WD TV to something that bridges the gap. There is no question that a full blown HTPC running windows, with Total Media Theater and a Xonar HDAV-SLIM card, can do everything. But I'm sure I'm not alone in noticing that keeping that HTPC running requires almost daily tweaking, changing codecs in MPC, etc. etc. It is in no way suitable for my wife and kids to operate it.

Again it doesn't have to be like that...adding an HTPC can be all of those things IF and ONLY IF you treat it as a media PC...meaning no email, no surfing to sights you don't know, no downloading of any kind except for updates to either the OS and apps that are used on a daily basis. filtered firewall rules etc. and GOOD backups from an app like acronis that takes an image of the current system and makes it available if the original image is fubared...I have 5 pc's going through out the house and its dead pan simple easy, in my case I have 1 Identitcal PC's that is the test machine set up as the lamb for updates etc. Now that blue ray is in more demand I'm tinkering again to see if I upgrade all the machines...or if I try one of the NMT.

Quote:

My conclusion is what I and others want is a device that not only does everything, but does it effortlessly, and costs as little as possible. Thus the question is, what devices come close to this ideal. Everyone is expecting the PCH C-200 to be this holy grail.

Sure it exists we have this set up with one of our projectors on the DVI out....the machine is mounted on the wall (recessed mind you) so the touch panel allows you to select the content you want, (Blu ray DVD or otherwise) and it launches on screen two...a sort of movie jukebox on the wall if you will...

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...l-in-One%20PCs

Quote:

If I have to sacrifice features, I suppose I'm willing to give up BD, I'm not willing to give up "easy as pie for the wife and kids to use". Really what I'd like is a WD TV on steroids that had gigabit wired ethernet, accepted a 3.5" internal drive, and did DTS and DTS downmix to stereo. If I want to be greedy I'd as to also add wireless N, and ability to add a BD drive, and play BD "backup folders".

Why do you feel you have to give up BD...its a budget thing at that point..... thing is there are options! do you need Blu Ray at every end point?

Quote:

The C-200 doesn't let you add BOTH an internal 3.5 and an internal BD drive. I'd like to be re-assured that it will handle a BD backup folder (maybe even over the network), and that the bitstream output (over HDMI?) preserves every bit of the TrueHD/ma HD audio format. I imagine I am not the only one in this situation with this world view and with these questions.

no but you can fit a smaller drive 2.5", and if your outputting to a receiver no worries it apparently passes through the audio....and Hey I'll be the lab rat on this one,I'll test it out and keep you posted!

Cheers,

Requis
post #11 of 22 Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I have been assured that the PCH C-200 bitstream output will light up the display on my Onkyo to say DTS/HD ma or TrueHD. But would welcome your confirmation.

Only reason I'm willing to let go of BD is that my kids don't watch a lot of BD. Then again FullHD BD is the future so why not.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
we will see to dts hd stuff soon when people get these.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-29-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

There is only one alternative to c-200: HDi Dune BD Prime 3.0
http://www.virtualmarket.ifa-berlin....on=showCompany

The pch website did crash but was fixed in no time (considering) so no biggie. $12 for an IR receiver plus additional white remote (exact as the RF one) is a steal c'mon. $30 for shipping consider yourself lucky, some of us had to pay over $80, those in europe will pay an addional 15% on top of the price and shipping. You are correct about the smuggness, though, comes with the territory of being the "best". (no competitor yet, atleast before sept 4 that is)

What happens Sept 4th?
post #14 of 22 Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

What happens Sept 4th?

the first batch of c-200s ship on september 4th to the people who preordered it
post #15 of 22 Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Can someone confirm Bluray .iso file playback on C-200? would love to use this to output TrueHD and DTS HD sounds from my uncompressed .iso files. The whole HD audio think with my HTPC is really annoying me, and I dont want to .mkv all the time.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-29-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyren View Post

the first batch of c-200s ship on september 4th to the people who preordered it

IFA Berlin 4-9 Sept, the 864x HDi direct competitor to c-200 will be revealed
post #17 of 22 Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

which then needs some months again, if you follow there history how to release products , like the HDI 2.0 , also HDI 1.0 was announced at IFA last year and the first units where shipped at November or December.

jm2c cHarOn
post #18 of 22 Old 08-30-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk7001 View Post

Can someone confirm Bluray .iso file playback on C-200? would love to use this to output TrueHD and DTS HD sounds from my uncompressed .iso files. The whole HD audio think with my HTPC is really annoying me, and I dont want to .mkv all the time.

Yes. Confirmed by a user in NMT

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh...4762#pid234762
post #19 of 22 Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

which then needs some months again, if you follow there history how to release products , like the HDI 2.0 , also HDI 1.0 was announced at IFA last year and the first units where shipped at November or December.

jm2c cHarOn

Tell me about it, the smp8644 was revealed exactly a year ago. Hopefully something will be wrong with the HDi player so I can place my order for a c-200. (maybe even make to the 1st batch)
post #20 of 22 Old 08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

thats wrong the 864x was first at the CES this year, the 865x was one year before, anyway i hope for HDI that there wont be something wrong again, i think they had already enough hard months from the start to now, still unbelievable that they are still alive and with HDI it will bring competition, which is good for the users and i think thats important, the biggest problem for HDI is, that they already loose many trust and the big question is also what about the old HDI 1.0 Users and firmwares when the 3,0 comes out, could be a big problem.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

thats wrong the 864x was first at the CES this year

ceatec sept 30, 2008
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1837
post #22 of 22 Old 08-30-2009, 01:38 PM