Denon ASD-3N Not Working With DLNA Server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a Denon ASD-3N and it is not working with DLNA right. Two problems: 1) I can find and play WMA files served up by my PC just fine. I can see iTunes files (.m4a) but they list as a picture and all I get is the album art, no music. The same file plays just fine on the iPod. 2) I have a Maxtor SSII NAS that has been updated to supposedlty be DLNA compliant. The ASD can find the server but everything is empty, regardless of file type or where it is stored on the server.

Two comments 1) So much for convergance 2) I should have waited for the ASD-51N

Does anyone know of a DLNA troubleshooting website? The concept was for everything to just work together, right? What are do you supposed to do when it just doesn't? Where is the list of files kept? If I knew this perhaps I could check it to see if my problem is with the NAS or the ASD.

The guy at the Denon telephone support was not familiar with the ASD or DLNA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am also having trouble with ASD-3N and streaming from Windows 7/Media Player across my network. The device sees the server fine, but pops back out to the main menu when trying to navigate the music collection. Does anyone else have this working?

Update: It basically works, but large collections seem to be a problem. See this thread for more.

Chris
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
We're working on our DLNA components right now. If you would try them, they may either work or we can get them working. Here's a place to start:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55720.0

Get the latest build from the top of that board. It's 131 right now.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 AM

Liked: 10
In the interest of full disclosure I am not the CEO of either JRiver or Twonky. I am just a user.

Be careful using niche company products like JRiver which I do not believe are DLNA certified (?), and which will charge you again and again as they end support for a current release, and charge existing customer's for the re-marketed product.

The Denon ASD-3N is listed as certified here:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic...non+asd#p21264

An attractive promotion here:
http://www.twonkymedia.com/Promotions/index.html

You can view DLNA certificates here:
http://www.dlna.org/products

iq100
the best way to delete an idea is to post one of your own
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry I can't test with the ASD-3N anymore. I returned it when I found out there was a new line of docking stations from Denon. So I got this one. The only significant difference for me is that this one has a digital out and the ASD-3N was analog only.

I don't understand the point of the last post at all. I seriously doubt Twonky is any better than JRMC, but that's my opinion. I am and have been a J River Media Center user for years now, dating back to version 11 I think. I love it. I certainly don't consider it a "niche" product. I consider it an essential tool and I have found nothing better. I had already tested the ASD-3N with JRMC UPnP server. It worked fine, much better than Windows Media Center or Player. I have just tested with the new DLNA support on JRMC as well on the ASD-51N and it works fine too.

My only complaint as this point is the new ASD-51N does not seem to handle lossless WMA which most of my collection is. It's no problem with JRMC since it can transcode on the fly. But the whole point of the network interface on this unit was so I had an easy way to listen to my lossless stuff on my big system. It is strange that the ASD-3N was able to play my lossless WMA music. They claim they can play lossless flac. I don't get it, why one and not the other? Oh well, that's a question for Denon.

Chris
post #6 of 8 Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpete View Post

My only complaint as this point is the new ASD-51N does not seem to handle lossless WMA which most of my collection is. It's no problem with JRMC since it can transcode on the fly. But the whole point of the network interface on this unit was so I had an easy way to listen to my lossless stuff on my big system. It is strange that the ASD-3N was able to play my lossless WMA music. They claim they can play lossless flac. I don't get it, why one and not the other? Oh well, that's a question for Denon.

MC14 can probably transcode WMA to WAV. Make sure you have at least build 137, available on the MC14 board.

Each device supports a different set of codecs. Some probably aren't there because they cost the manufacturer a fee.

Thanks for the kind words about our software.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #7 of 8 Old 02-05-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MC14 can probably transcode WMA to WAV.

Ahh, not sure why I didn't think of that. Yes this works fine and solves the problem.

Thanks, Chris
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I've now had more of a chance to play with this device. It's pretty cool and the integration with my Denon receiver (2809) is good (with one fatal flaw). The issue seems to be more on the reciver side than this device. I have playback of lossless working fine with J River MC running their DNLA server customized for Denon. It transcodes all my lossless wma into wav, which the asd-51n handles just fine.

The problem is with the digital/iPod settings. Again, this seems to be more of a receiver issue than the device. But hey, they are both Denon's. Shouldn't they work well together? The issue is with the digital out. The only way to enable digital out on the 2809 is to disable the iPod interface. This applies for streaming as well as if you have the iPod plugged in. Analog does not have this issue.

What I mean by "iPod interface" is if you connect this device to your Denon receiver through a control port, the User Interface is taken over by the receiver and you see a nice "now playing" list on the attached monitor. Also the song name and time remaining shows up on the receiver. This is pretty nice integration.

However, the fatal flaw is - you can't have both at the same time. If you want digital audio, you must disable the iPod interface. This means you don't get the cool gui anymore through the Denon. I have no idea what they were thinking on this one. Why offer a digital out if it can't be cleanly integrated with your own brand receiver??

Other than that I have no complaints. The device works nicely with analog.

Chris

[update - Denon 2809ci receiver]
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page