Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramex View Post

Hi folks I have a question for those who own both cinematube and a WDTV or a popcorn (basically a device with sigma chipset).
How is the picture quality of x246 mkvs on this device? Some people complain about Asus' PQ which has the same chipset as cinematube, something about the saturation of colours (rather washed out on Asus and great on WDTV and PCH).

I'd really like to know as this could be a deal breaker for me. Thanks in advance!!

Can someone let me know also. I was just about to pull the trigger then saw this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 PM

Brite-view and all,
Glad I found a group of cinematube-fans here. I ordered the cinematube last week, and have a couple questions. Hopefully you guys can help.

1. Is there any network file transfer capability on cinematube? I mean to copy a file from or to a share folder on network. what about from one usb port to another? (I believe cinematube has two)

2. Can brite-view save the BT download to a network drive, if the torrent seed is from a network PC?

3. If I shutdown cinematube or unplug USB drive while it is doing BT, will those torrents resume after I power on or plug in USB drive again?

if answer to all above questions are no, how do I share the legal content I downloaded from ********** with other PCs in network?

Thanks a lot!
post #723 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suharsh View Post

Tried couple of things.
- As suggested by blueribb.
- Changed cable
- Changed settings in the receiver.

One of the above worked ... probably BlueRibb's suggestion. So sound is coming out ok now. I have set it to HDMI Raw.

[EDIT]: Audio was lost once but I navigated back and forth and then it worked. This happened only once though. Also there is just about one second delay between (no I am not talking of audio video out of sync) video appearing and audio starting - audio is synced though.

Below are some audio file formats that didn't work.

1. CD ISO
2. CD Nrg (Nero)
3. AC-3 Audio files (both my Iomega Screenplay and WD play these flawlessly)

CinemaTube didn't even detect these files.

I have yet to try DVD ISO & Audio AAC files. I thought these player was capable of at least #1 and #3 above!

Has anyone tried any of the above formats? I know someone mentioned that DVD Iso works ok.

What extensions won't play ?

1. What the heck is a CD ISO (an image of a ?????) music CD ?
2. CD Nrg (is that a proprietary Nero format ?) What extension and does CinemaTube claim to play it ?
3. AC-3 Audio files (huh ????). What extension are we talking about here - mp3, wav, FLAC, etc.
post #724 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondx View Post

Can someone let me know also. I was just about to pull the trigger then saw this post.

I have the original wdtv and now this brite view unit. I may not be as picky as others, probably not, but I don't notice much/any difference between well encoded mkv files on either unit in regards to color saturation etc. Looks very good in my opinion, of course I just dropped $2300 on a new samsung tv so that might have something to do with it.
post #725 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

I have the original wdtv and now this brite view unit. I may not be as picky as others, probably not, but I don't notice much/any difference between well encoded mkv files on either unit in regards to color saturation etc. Looks very good in my opinion, of course I just dropped $2300 on a new samsung tv so that might have something to do with it.

Thank you Pinion!!

Maybe some others can give their valuation about CinemaTube vs WDTV picture quality??
So far i have seen at least 3 users noticing the superiority of WDTV's PQ (or PCH, sigma chipset) compared to Asus O!Play (realtek, same chipset as cinematube), 2 of them u can see in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186715

I'm crossing my fingers this is not realtek chipset limitation...
post #726 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramex View Post

Thank you Pinion!!

Maybe some others can give their valuation about CinemaTube vs WDTV picture quality??
So far i have seen at least 3 users noticing the superiority of WDTV's PQ (or PCH, sigma chipset) compared to Asus O!Play (realtek, same chipset as cinematube), 2 of them u can see in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186715

I'm crossing my fingers this is not realtek chipset limitation...

I have both the WD and CinemaTube and they both display excellent quality HD movie files. I see no difference in PQ. I have a 46" XBR LCD.
post #727 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM

I just received my Cinematube Friday and I had a little time to try a few things last night and today. So my first post on AVS is going to be sort of a mini-review of a few things that worked, problems that need to be fixed, and some things that need to be addressed. First of all I have a Linksys and an Asus Wireless-G router. I'm still using an old 4:3 tube TV so bandwidth is not a problem.

Last night I tried playing movies off a USB memory stick and I didn't have any problems. What I did notice is that the video and audio were better than I was expecting from the highly compressed video files that I tried. Today, I received an AirLink 101 Wi-Fi dongle that someone had mentioned that worked. When I turned on the Cinematube it indicated that a Wi-Fi dongle was plugged in. I'm not sure if the exclamation before the message meant anything, but I probably need to see if the manual says something about it. I went to the setup screen and it saw my network and some of the neighbor's networks. I tried to connect to my network and it asked for the security key which I entered and I waited for about a minute before it finally timed out and did not connect. I tried the Asus wireless router with the same results. I then plugged the AirLink dongle into a computer running Vista and it had no problem connecting to either router. I'm guessing that this is probably a driver problem in the Cinematube since I'm using an unsupported dongle. Of course this leaves me with a lot of questions. What if the dongle that Cinematube is going to release at the end of this month also has the same results when trying to connect to an 802.11g wireless router? Is it possible that the Cinematube is only going to work with 802.11n routers and only certain brands? I guess I won't know this until I purchase the official Wi-Fi dongle, but I'm going to be upset if it does the same thing as the AirLink 101.

I already had DD-WRT software in my Asus 802.11g router so I set it up as a bridge. I plugged the Cinematube into it and it did not have any problems connecting to my network which is using a Linksys wireless router. The Cinematube saw both my network running on a Vista machine and it saw the PlayOn server that I had downloaded and installed to tryout. I tried streaming from my network and I had no problem playing videos or photos in shared folders using the Asus router running as a wireless bridge. I tried using PlayOn to connect to YouTube and it also worked OK. I did note a problem with scrolling through the video selections with the preview on. For whatever reason, the Cinematube wants to try and load every video when scrolling through the list. When you first go to a folder selection, you can scroll fairly fast. However, after a few seconds the Cinematube decides to start wanting to preview each selection. This needs to be fixed. Scrolling up and down should stop trying to preview a selection and move to the next item.

Now for the BIG problem when streaming using PlayOn. YouTube worked fine, but YouTube was also originally planned to be included in the Cinematube. I tried streaming from Hulu and got the message Format is not supported. I tried several different videos from Hulu and nothing worked. I then tried CBS, CNN and ESPN and they didn't work either. They all gave the same error message that the format was not supported. While I was waiting for my Cinematube to be delivered, I had already downloaded XBMC Media Center and I knew all this was working through uPnP. I don't have a Netflix account, and I didn't try Amazon VOD, but I don't have much faith that they are going to work since nothing else worked. I did try streaming music and video through PlayOn and it worked. I had some videos that I had captured from my Sony DV camcorder and they all played fine over Wi-Fi through PlayOn.

One final thought which is regarding the user interface. I knew it wasn't going to be very good, but it was a little worse than I was expecting. I was expecting the menus along the top that say All, Videos, Music and Photos to do more than just filter the files. Those selections are worthless since I can't imagine that there are too many people that store all media types in the same folder. Why can't the Cinematube at least remember what folder I was in when I was playing each media type? I know my wife is going to have a major problem using the Cinematube. Just my opinion, but I think Brite-View needs to make it a top priority to make some changes to the user interface or a lot of non-techie people will be turned off using the Cinematube.
post #728 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueribb View Post

What extensions won't play ?

1. What the heck is a CD ISO (an image of a ?????) music CD ?
2. CD Nrg (is that a proprietary Nero format ?) What extension and does CinemaTube claim to play it ?
3. AC-3 Audio files (huh ????). What extension are we talking about here - mp3, wav, FLAC, etc.

Bluerib,

ISO = Audio CD Image. (not sure but I guess ISO can be data files too). But what I was trying was an image file of an audio cd.

Nrg is proprietary Nero (kind of Nero version of cd image file) I never said that CT claims it ... just was trying different formats and letting people know what works and what doesn't.

AC-3 audio file is format itself ... extension is .ac3! Again, on Iomega Screen Play and WDTV these work awesome for surround audio.
post #729 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Thanks @ Pinion & @blueribb. Just ordered one. Can't wait to try out.
@briteview: Your constant presence and support on this board was also a factory on me deciding on the Cinematube.
post #730 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh View Post

All CRT's overscan. It's just a fact of life with them. Usually somewhere around 5% of the picture is lost around the edges with CRT's. Some systems are designed to allow you to compensate for it. I know XBMC does. But that's an extremely rare feature from what I have found.

I am aware of normal CRT overscan since I have lived with this TV for a LONG time now, and have hooked up dozens of devices to it over the years, my comment was that it appears to overscan a lot more than other devices I own and having the ability to adjust this would be an excellent option.

Thanks
post #731 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suharsh View Post

Bluerib,

ISO = Audio CD Image. (not sure but I guess ISO can be data files too). But what I was trying was an image file of an audio cd.

Nrg is proprietary Nero (kind of Nero version of cd image file) I never said that CT claims it ... just was trying different formats and letting people know what works and what doesn't.

AC-3 audio file is format itself ... extension is .ac3! Again, on Iomega Screen Play and WDTV these work awesome for surround audio.

1. I don't understand the reason for a music CD image or iso. You can rip the songs (wave files) or convert to .mp3 which would allow ID's (tags)

2. I downloaded an .ac3 file (didn't know they exist) and CinemaTube didn't see it, so I renamed it .wav and it played perfectly. Try it !
post #732 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM

I've been noticing that the characters in the menus are very low resolution and not solid clear letters. They fade or disappear from top to bottom on alot of characters. Could someone else confirm this.

Maybe it's the fact that the menu is SD (or lower) and I'm watching a 1080p LCD screen, but it really looks bad to me.

Maybe there could be a switchable LO/HI resolution menu added for better clarity. Also, the titles of movies and music is really limited in size and requires almost everything to scroll. This is getting really annoying. I would think turning off the preview screen would allow more area for titles but it does not.
post #733 of 2730 Old 10-10-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:

1. I don't understand the reason for a music CD image or iso. You can rip the songs (wave files) or convert to .mp3 which would allow ID's (tags)

2. I downloaded an .ac3 file (didn't know they exist) and CinemaTube didn't see it, so I renamed it .wav and it played perfectly. Try it !

I backup all my cds as ISO. I have lost many cds in past - basically lent and never came back. So I started to convert them to ISO and now have quite a few of them and as they already have been created ... would have spend lot of time to redo them in .flac or any other lossless format ... am just trying to avoid doing so.

Thanks for the tip about the ac3 ... renaming each one of them would be some work (unless there is an easier way). I have WDTV too ... so may be I can play those on WDTV. It seems Brite-View site does claim that CT plays AC3. Any comments brite-view?

I also tried DD-WAV (Dolby Digital Wave Files, extension is .WAV but these are 6 discrete channels encoded in a single WAV file) these are essentially ac3 files that are resampled to 44.1khz and converted to redbook audio cd format ... ready to be burnt on a cd-r as an audio cd! Again, whereas both the ScreenPlay and WDTV play it, CinemaTube doesn't! Maybe something brite-view can look into.
post #734 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 AM

Suharsh,

I think brite-View meant they can play the AC-3 audio track or codec which Dolby Digital movies use, not an .ac3 audio file, but I could be wrong. Time for brite-View to chime in I guess.

Also, I've heard of people making copies of music CD's for safe keeping or copying the entire disk to their hard drive but I've never heard of a music CD iso copy. What's the benefit to doing this ?
post #735 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 AM

brite view anynews about arabic subtitle?
post #736 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Suharsh,

I think brite-View meant they can play the AC-3 audio track or codec which Dolby Digital movies use, not an .ac3 audio file, but I could be wrong. Time for brite-View to chime in I guess.

Also, I've heard of people making copies of music CD's for safe keeping or copying the entire disk to their hard drive but I've never heard of a music CD iso copy. What's the benefit to doing this ?

I believe .ac3 and .dts files are playable except for some reason the player won't find these extensions so they aren't visible. Once they are renamed to .wav they play fine. I have tested this with dts and it works fine.
post #737 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Hi brite-View;

The answer might be buried somewhere in this forum, but I was wondering if you could answer my question.

If I power off the CinemaTube unit via remote, will it automatically turns off the external hard-drive also? Or do I have to manually turn off the ext drive myself?

Your presence here on this forum is the main factor for me to pull the trigger and placed a purchase.

Thx
Tiger
post #738 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Brite View-

I loaded Tversity and am able to pull it up on the Cinema Tube but I am experiencing a few problems when trying to stream a some tv episodes for my wife. I am using an ACTIONTEC Fios Router (G) through a ethernet line.

1)I attempted to load a Greys Anatomy Episode (CBS) and when the episode began to play the audio had a ton of feedback. In total I downloaded 3 episodes and only one had feedback everytime. I then loaded the same episode on my computer through their website and the audio was fine. So I am assuming that Cinematube may be causing the problem. I believe that the problem may be in that Cinema tube attempts to preview every video as you scroll through your queue. Is it possible that this scrolling and previewing is overworking the cinematubes processor? I have not tried disabling the preview yet but hopeful this will correct the problem and the lag time in scrolling the queue. The other issue that I experienced in streaming video through hulu and tversity was that some of the videos crash right after the sponsor advertisement at the beginning. Following the Crash Cinema tube automatically starts the next video in the Queue. One of the other individual reported that they are experiencing issues with play on. Hopefully the UPNP function can be fine tuned and these problems can be corrected. Many of us purchased the cinematube for this feature.
post #739 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerjunk View Post

Hi brite-View;

The answer might be buried somewhere in this forum, but I was wondering if you could answer my question.

If I power off the CinemaTube unit via remote, will it automatically turns off the external hard-drive also? Or do I have to manually turn off the ext drive myself?

Your presence here on this forum is the main factor for me to pull the trigger and placed a purchase.

Thx
Tiger

If your external usb hard drive is a "portable" USB-powered drive, then the answer is yes.
post #740 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Over on http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58718&page=3, it looks like some progress is being made in porting XBMC onto a Realtek-based player (ASUS O!Play). I was reading here though that is not possible http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236 do these new players have more of a chance of being loaded with XBMC?
post #741 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 04:05 PM

@Suharsh: I will have to report your issue to our team to see if it was the HDMI issue (I remember someone mentioned that earlier, too). Could you try the RCA to see if it's ok, but HDMI is not?

@CmdrTekno: not sure if you have tried pushing the "Aspect" button on the remote; would that help? I tested it with a CRT TV and I am able to change the aspect ratio that way.

@KOHb: thank you very much for all the suggestions.
2. "shortcut" -- there is some kind of shortcut feature availabe but I don't have the whole document yet. When I do I will post it here.
3. Usually it requires some licensing. In the case of YouTube, we were able to do that but YouTube doesn't want us to so YouTube had to be diabled.

@CanoPR: did you get a response? The person who answers the email said he would answer you.

@lone-ranger: totally agree. It's defintely in our plan to build a dedicated forum given the number of our users growing everyday.

@neeco80: 1) I only tried it with RCA and HDMI. Because the speakers on my Acer monitor is not powerful enough and I wanted to use the RCA audio for the receiver and it did not work.

2) Unfortunately no.

@doctor media: thanks so much for sharing! We'll test it out and update our blog post.

@pavment: whew! Glad you got it to work!
post #742 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Briteview: No I never got a response, either with shipping or AC adapter.
post #743 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 PM

@gocool:
1) No.
2) Unfortunately no. The downloaded torrent will have to be saved on the attached USB drive, although you could pull torrent "seeds" from network PC.
3) Yes, it will resume. And just fyi (b/c ppl have asked): if you decide to start watching a movie using the CinemaTube in the middle of the torrent download, it will play the movie WITHOUT downloading (can't handle 2 at the same time). It will resume after the movie is played.

The only way to share the downloaded content is to unplug the USB drive from CinemaTube and plug it in to another PC. We can not edit the files on the USB drive attached to the CinemaTube over the network.

@Jim52: thanks for taking the time to write up the review! I'll try answer some issues you mentioned, and if I missed any please feel free to let me know.
1. the router + dongle combination is a good point. I myself have an ASUS wireless G router so I can test it out when the dongle gets here.
2. preview: we have notified our team regarding the preview feature not being popular. Right now we can only suggest that you turn the preview off and see if the "pause" is a little bit shorter.
3. I myself only used the PlayOn for Netflix and it works for me. I did have trouble bringing Hulu videos up which was reflected by another user on our Facebook page. I have reported the issue and am waiting for my team's answer on Monday.

@falcondx: thank you for your interest in our product. We're very interested in your thoughts and feedback, too!

@blackend: unfortunately no at the moment.

@tigerjunk: yes - I confirm that if you're using a USB drive that does NOT require external power supply, then yes, when the CinemaTube is powered down, the drive is put to sleep.

@Geffel34: noted. I have issue myself using PlayOn to see Hulu videos. Have reported and see what my team says. Thanks and I apologize for the troubles.
post #744 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 04:32 PM

@CanoPR: I will push for shipping answer, but I don't think we have extra power adapter at the moment.
post #745 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM

@CanoPR: Mario, I want to confirm that your package will go out tomorrow on Oct 12 and the shipping is ok, although we'll use USPS instead of Fedex. I hope that's ok.
post #746 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Yes USPS is fine.

Thank you!
If a tracking number can be sent with the shipping notification that would be great.

Can't wait to get it

Mario
post #747 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 05:35 PM

Any plans for HD Homerun support? I believe the popcorn hour has this and there's some sort of linux library publicly available from the Silicondust guys that might make this something easy to implement
post #748 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Brite-View,

I tried plugging in my portable LG DVD Drive into to Cinematube and I was surprised to see that it displayed a message that I had plugged in a USB DVD drive. So it appears that the Cinematube knows when a DVD drive is plugged in but the software still needs extra work to access the drive and play a DVD movie. Is this something that is being planned to be added in the future?

Also, I noticed there was no exclamation mark in a box at the begining of the DVD drive message like I did when I plugged in the AirLink 101 Wi-Fi dongle. So what does the exclamation mark mean before a message when you plug something in a USB port?
post #749 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Are there any known problems when using an ext3 filesystem for external USB drives?

I copied two bluray movies to a USB hd and validated size of 26GB and 34GB. When I attach to the cinematube it see's the movies but shows the sizes as 2.7GB in size and only plays the first few minutes of the movie.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
post #750 of 2730 Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 PM

brite-view,
Please let your develop team know adding a FTP service to cinematube would be very useful. Being able to pull data off the attached usb drive really completes the package. Thanks for your tech support, you are doing your company a tremendous service.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page