brite-View CinemaTube - Page 89 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tony, This is just too much for one (or even a few) to try and do on their own.

These (and devices like them) are wonderful. However, when most of the suggestions are met with 'I'll check with engineering or the release manager' it comes across as disingenuous at best; especially when met with a beta release such as this one. Most suggestions will never be addressed - I'm certain of that. Most issues, unfortunately will not be, as well.

I write this in an effort to ask if you would consider allowing your (albeit small) community to help before the product is officially declared dead. Make the source, build tools, work-flow, etc. available to the community. Several of us can help you. Personally, I have several years of embedded systems experience working on the Shuttle and Space station components. There are others here with similar experience and still others could help with testing. By working with the community, I believe you have more to gain for yourself.

If the software is something you have no control over and is delivered from another group/entity, we will understand why this is difficult. But transparency is one of the keys to success. Empty promises (even with the best of intentions - which we know you have) only alienates and causes resentment. It certainly will not aid in building any brand loyalty.

For myself, I hope you make millions off of the product... Please allow us to help you before it is too late.

by Crodps » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:10 pm

If actions speak louder than words, I think Briteview's message on the CinemaTube is very clear.

They kept customers waiting until the very last possible minute to deliver a less-than-stellar firmware with a whole new set of issues.
The community was not taken into consideration at any stage of the development phase (no information nor updates were given, no feedback requested).
To simply call this a "test" FW and say that it was released to "gather feedback" it just cheap and lazy. We have been waiting since February for a true FW update, and we got yet another half-baked release. Mind I ask, what is the "wish list" section in this forum for? Do developers ever go there? I honestly don't know since no one asked us what we wanted nor told us what was coming in the new FW intil it was already out without most of the requests posted there. These are not proper customer service practices, BV.

I do apologize if I sound a bit discontent, but the community has advised BV time and time again about having better customer and post-sale service for their CT buyers, but their answer continues to be that they will continue to do things "their" way only.
Users are starting to leave, people are not recommending the BV brand anymore, new and better products are becoming available, yet BV continues to "stay their course".
Sadly, I feel that they'd rather run the CinemaTube to the ground and lose more customers before doing something bold like *gasp* Releasing The Firmware source!!
Indeed it does feel like BriteView has assigned only 2 people to take care of the CinemaTube. One for customer relations and another for development.
It's a shame. The CT is a good video player, but it could be a Whole lot more if BV actually listened to and acted on half of what the community is trying to tell them.
Like many others I am already browsing for a new media solution that does meet more of my needs and won't make me wait ages for simple system updates.
But I'm sure that won't disconcert BriteView one bit.Crodps

by fid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm pretty certain that Tony doesn't know. I suspect he is just the distributor for these devices (and nice devices they are). But it's the OEM who does development (or farms it out) and probably won't let him discuss, release or otherwise support the devices more than we've seen.

If we (those who believe like me) are correct, we will only see what the OEM passes off to Tony. There is no engineering, marketing, release groups involved - just tony. I may be wrong but I obviously don't think so.

I imagine this is a taxing endeavor for one person. One person for the web-site, one person to act as a mod, etc. but as I stated before, I think it's disingenuous to keep this up. Most people are ok with the device (even knowing that it is dead for future development).

What makes them angry is the illusion (and promises?) of something more.

I've now seen other devices with EVERY firmware release to-date running on them. Either I'm correct or one group is stealing from others.

+1 to this--

it should become pretty obvious to anyone at this point that none of the brite-view products are going to stand the test of time without some drastic changes (read: open source)-- Personally I don't understand what even keeps companies back from letting the community improve their products (for free...) just look at how much of a difference something like DD-WRT does to any linksys or other broadcom based routers-- even though the companies that produce these things may be large in some cases, they will simply always lack the motivation inherent in a community with disparate wants and needs. Open source projects allow someone in the know to recognize a shortcoming, and then simply fix it, with no waiting or BS-- impatience is an incredible motivating force.

also, especially in the case of brite-view, it would make the sales of these things absolutely sky-rocket-- i'm not aware of a similar product which is open source at the current time, and you know everybody reading engadget, gizmodo, etc. would snap one of these up in a hot second, especially in light of the impending jailbreak of the Apple TV as well as the Google TV launch approaching.

imho at this point unless someone at BV is willing to hire a whooole bunch of new engineers who are gonna work full time to realize this thing's potential, its gotta be either open-source, win the support of the many thousands of talented programmers who would hop on board to really push this fantastic hardware to its limit, (XBMC is STILL being updated, on the ORIGINAL XBOX! More potential is STILL being discovered!) or keep riding the wave of mediocrity down into obscurity.

EDIT: sorry for the dramatic vocab

by Posh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm not trying to argue with you... but let me try to put this in perspective. Realtek actually writes the base firmware package. Brite-view doesn't have the rights to publish this code. They take this firmware and then customize it for the Cinematube (I'm guessing the torrent feature, etc are Brite-view additions). All Realtek based streamers are in the same boat. So while open source firmware might be nice... Realtek isn't going to allow this. If I've made any bad assumptions here Tony can feel free to correct me.

Posh wrote:
I'm not trying to argue with you... but let me try to put this in perspective. Realtek actually writes the base firmware package. Brite-view doesn't have the rights to publish this code. They take this firmware and then customize it for the Cinematube (I'm guessing the torrent feature, etc are Brite-view additions). All Realtek based streamers are in the same boat. So while open source firmware might be nice... Realtek isn't going to allow this. If I've made any bad assumptions here Tony can feel free to correct me.

Absolutely wrong....

Patriot Memory official forum.. for PATRIOT BOX OFFICE Media Player... CINEMATUBE Twin Brother, (same processor)

patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3329
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 09:41 AM

xtreamer dot net is the best example of mixing open source and private code, a good community, engineers (plural) working on the firmware, implemented as part of options requested by the company and by the users.

I have lost a client, and surpasses the competition, this product is dying and the saddest thing is that it is good.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 AM

I see that the Brite-View BV-5005HD CinemaTube is available on Amazon for $67. All I need is high quality 1080p streaming from my WHS box. Should I snap-up this deal, or spend a few more $ on something like the Xstreamer? Is there anything fundamentally wrong with the CinemaTube?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:17 PM

I have it and I like it. There are bugs and quirks but nothing earth shattering. As long as it's a wired network, it should work.

There are some bugs with forced subs vs. using subs in an SRT file.

Hooked to a hard drive or to a wired network it seems to work fine for me.

I don't know if they ever fixed the FLV video issue but it was on their to do list.

If you just need a 1080P streamer without any bells or whistles or HD Audio, It should work fine.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. My network is wired and I don't need subs so I should be fine. Think I'll take the plunge.

I quite like the specs of the upcoming Dune HD Smart D1 player, but it doesn't have a decent enough display to replace my standalone music player (Roku Soundbridge) and the models fitted with the faster Realtek chip with gig-E are still a few months away (plus its 4x the price!).
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Growers,

I think the CT I got over a year ago has been just great, for what I use it for: watching .mkv movie files downloaded from wherever on my home theater in the basement.

I have it connected to a hub. My PC running Windows 7 has a Seagate 1.5TB USB external drive connected to it. In this configuration, there are no problems at all.

I seem to remember in the threads where folks had problems getting the CT to see NAS but as that isn't what I have, I don't remember if they got it resolved or not.

If you are using Windows 7, file sharing setup so the CT can get into your media folder(s) is more involved than in XP or OSX. There is a thread showing screenshots over on Brite-View

http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=746

Worked just fine once I made the changes shown.

Chris Whitworth
Old 11-09-2010, 03:01 PM

I am into my third week with the BV-5005HD Mini which is replacing my WD HD Media Player (original version with firmware updates).

I am reasonably familiar with home network setups and have successfully updated my home FIOS setup with a Netgear WNDR 3700. The 3700 broadcasts to our laptop and my LG BD570 while my desktop and LG BD390 are hardwired to the original Verizon router. I have the wifi portion of the Verizon router shut off and the Netgear router cabled to it to serve as the network wireless source. It all works nicely, thank you very much!

I had agonized over choosing a replacement for the WDHDMP and settled on the 5005HD Mini primarily for BD and iso playback along with improved audio (and price point). The networking was seen as a potential bonus.

The Bad:

Setting up the wifi network for this unit proved to be an exercise in futility even with several forum help sources. I was simply incapable of getting a wifi network connection. I then purchased a fifty foot CAT6 cable in order to hardwire it (ala the LG390) and suddenly found out I could do without networking it at all! Needless to say the cable went back to BB!

The Good:

I have four external drives on which I keep my SD and BD movie files. I have two 2 terabyte units, one 1 terabyte unit, and a single 500 Gig unit. They are all USB 2.0. Guess what? They all daisy chain perfectly with the "mini" through either of its two USB ports and a small, inexpensive Targus four port USB hub!

There are no issues or problems that I detected as yet using all four external hard drives that are read and listed separately. I can easily continue to transfer film file and photos to any and all and then access them with a simple ease and reliability that makes the unit a joy to use.

The picture quality on my 40" Samsung LCD is excellent as is the sound through the TV speakers, my "TV Ears" or my Q-Home FX 5.1 surround sound headphones.

I have had very few BD, SD, or iso files come up as unreadable and will redo some of these few to see if that corrects any possible problems with the actual files. The iso's work just fine (though without menus). Update 11/5/2010: I forgot to mention that all of my movie files are either m2ts or vob. SD iso files have accessible and functional menus while the BD iso files have no menu access.

I am very pleased overall (ignoring the networking fiasco) with this unit and have no problems recommending it as a serious consideration for anyone seeking a reasonably reliable and fairly inexpensive media player. I am not using or accessing its "addons" as I want this to function as my primary movie player. I can stream Netflix on either LG BD player.

Based on my experience I would have preferred a non-wifi version of this unit for 90.00 instead of this one for a 110.00 but the ease of daily operation, its reliability, and the quality of its output more than offsets that issue.

I would like to be able to network all of these movie file sources so that I could watch any on either the Samsung in my den or the 60" Sony KDS-60A3000 in the living room. At this point I still feel hardwiring with CAT6 is the way to go for maximum network viewing quality. However, I must say that the NetFlix streaming media sent wifi to the LG BD570 works just fine!

BTW, just this week, the original bulb blew on the Sony after three plus years. I ordered a OEM replacement from Bulb Solutions in Illinois on Sunday afternoon, the bulb and cage arrived Tuesday afternoon, and I had it installed and the Sony up and running is less than an hour!

Harry Zee
Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christer W. View Post

Growers,

I think the CT I got over a year ago has been just great, for what I use it for: watching .mkv movie files downloaded from wherever on my home theater in the basement.

I have it connected to a hub. My PC running Windows 7 has a Seagate 1.5TB USB external drive connected to it. In this configuration, there are no problems at all.

I seem to remember in the threads where folks had problems getting the CT to see NAS but as that isn't what I have, I don't remember if they got it resolved or not.

If you are using Windows 7, file sharing setup so the CT can get into your media folder(s) is more involved than in XP or OSX. There is a thread showing screenshots over on Brite-View

Worked just fine once I made the changes shown.

I would like to add that if you recently updated your windows critical/recommended updates, you may get Windows Live Essential 2011 and that screws up sharing. Once I uninstalled that, it worked fine again.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Has anyone figured out how to play flv with new firmware. It used to work couple of updates ago but not anymore.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Liked: 11
Are there any functional differences between the Mini and the older CT? The older one seems to have disappeared from retail channels. I've only been able to find it on eBay.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 AM

@npatel1622 - This is something that is being worked out we hope in the next firmware release. I believe that the MKV header compression issue has been resolved and we are aiming to get a release of this updated firmware toward the end of December beginning of January if our Beta Testers don't run into any major issues.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:05 AM

@tlp95129 - The major differences you will see between the CT and the MiniCG/CT is the form factor and the elimination of the component video, else the overall functionality is similar to the older unit.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 AM

@scratchie - The Beta RC1 firmware upgrade was pulled due to instability. We are currently in closed Beta to get real world testing time for RC2, one of the items that is being addressed within this release is the MKV header compression issue. If anyone through some other means is trying to use the RC1 build, we strongly recommend a firmware downgrade at this time.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Hi brite-view,

I just purchased this item yesterday. One of the reasons I purchased this is its torrent downloading feature. I tried to download and left it overnight, when I woke up this morning, all of a sudden it couldn't see my HDD when opening the torrent download page. It keeps saying "BT disk mount failed". How am I going to fix this? My current FW version is IPB10106251. Thanks.

And also why will it be removed on the next FW version?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Hi brite-view,

I just purchased this item yesterday. One of the reasons I purchased this is its torrent downloading feature. I tried to download and left it overnight, when I woke up this morning, all of a sudden it couldn't see my HDD when opening the torrent download page. It keeps saying "BT disk mount failed". How am I going to fix this? My current FW version is IPB10106251. Thanks.

And also why will it be removed on the next FW version?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 AM

This is a new setup using Windows 7 Ultimate.
I have checked the settings posted here for making sure I have file sharing enabled and verfied they are correct.
I am using a wired connection.

Have been using PlayOn for almost a year just fine on my PS3 as well as my LG BD570.
I am actually using the exact wired connection that I have been using the PS3 with.
There were no hoops to jump through, I just powered up both devices and the PlayOn logo was right there.

I can see and access files on my computer and can stream music.

I can see UpNP under Photos, Music and Video but there is nothing there when I click on it.

I keep seeing mention of a "Media Center" icon and I am not sure if that just refers to the group of icons for music, photos etc that are on the home page?
If there is supposed to be an icon for "Media Center" on the same page as the music, video, photo icons I don't have that.

The player did automatically download two different updates last night when I first plugged the unit in.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM

Rush - you have to select the proper media type first (audio, video, pics) and then select your UPNP source. If you select audio, and then pick a PlayOn UPNP source that only serves up videos, your list will be empty. You have to pick Video first, then pick the uPNP source that serves up the same file types.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTBuilder View Post
Rush - you have to select the proper media type first (audio, video, pics) and then select your UPNP source. If you select audio, and then pick a PlayOn UPNP source that only serves up videos, your list will be empty. You have to pick Video first, then pick the uPNP source that serves up the same file types.
Thanks for the response. I actually tried this since this is the way it worked on my PS3. PlayOn just never showed up at any point any where.

I already got rid of it and bought another LD BD570 which is DLNA certified that "sees' PlayOn just fine.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brite-View View Post

@scratchie - The Beta RC1 firmware upgrade was pulled due to instability. We are currently in closed Beta to get real world testing time for RC2, one of the items that is being addressed within this release is the MKV header compression issue. If anyone through some other means is trying to use the RC1 build, we strongly recommend a firmware downgrade at this time.

"real world testing?" The real world includes older CTs, where the latest RC3 is not applicable to those who own the older boxes. Neither did RC2. The older CTs have reached their end of life, only after a short time in this "real world," and I myself will no longer trust any product from Brite-View. If you visit the official forum, http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewforum.php?f=7 you will notice their client base screaming for support, yet their mod, Tony, just brushes it off and makes a feeble attempt to ensure the client base that a new f/w upgrade will be available before year's end. And what did they come up with?..........RC3!! Not only useless for older boxes, but an unreliable beta release for boxes that do support it. I've had problems in the past with their beta RCs, and swore not to use them again, until an official release was available. Tony, the mod over at the Brite-View forum has mislead each and every client on the forum by telling us about this new f/w, but at the last minute changed his tune and informed us that only newer boxes or older ones without certain boot code number endings in their boxes will be able to use RC3. http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewt...hp?f=19&t=1182 Completely unacceptable, as he never clued us in after all these months that it was not intended for any other box. For me, I'll go by his original post in the forums that a release will be available, not only to newer boxes, but to include us poor unfortunate slobs who own the older boxes. They have 5 days left until the end of the year to come up with a workable solution!

It's the new year and I refer you to this post on Brite-View's forum this a.m. http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewt...9&p=6582#p6582
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 PM

@Bubbachuck - The error may be due to the Torrent timing out or perhaps because of the free space left on your HDD. Please note that primary support is provided on our forums located at http://www.brite-viewforum.com.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonepilot View Post

"real world testing?" The real world includes older CTs, where the latest RC3 is not applicable to those who own the older boxes. Neither did RC2. The older CTs have reached their end of life, only after a short time in this "real world," and I myself will no longer trust any product from Brite-View. If you visit the official forum, http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewforum.php?f=7 you will notice their client base screaming for support, yet their mod, Tony, just brushes it off and makes a feeble attempt to ensure the client base that a new f/w upgrade will be available before year's end. And what did they come up with?..........RC3!! Not only useless for older boxes, but an unreliable beta release for boxes that do support it. I've had problems in the past with their beta RCs, and swore not to use them again, until an official release was available. Tony, the mod over at the Brite-View forum has mislead each and every client on the forum by telling us about this new f/w, but at the last minute changed his tune and informed us that only newer boxes or older ones without certain boot code number endings in their boxes will be able to use RC3. http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewt...hp?f=19&t=1182 Completely unacceptable, as he never clued us in after all these months that it was not intended for any other box. For me, I'll go by his original post in the forums that a release will be available, not only to newer boxes, but to include us poor unfortunate slobs who own the older boxes. They have 5 days left until the end of the year to come up with a workable solution!

It's the new year and I refer you to this post on Brite-View's forum this a.m. http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewt...9&p=6582#p6582

@ozonepilot - It's been clearly stated that a firmware release would be forthcoming barring any major issues. Currently RC3 has some issues surrounding USB and BT functions which are being worked on; some things that appear to be fixed is the MKV Header Compression and Sound issues. In regards to systems that show a Code 14 or 16, all I can provide you with is what I know, which is RC3 will not load on systems displaying that boot code. As soon as I receive further guidance regarding boot Code 14 / 16 boxes I will be happy to share that with the rest of the community.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brite-View View Post
@ozonepilot - It's been clearly stated that a firmware release would be forthcoming barring any major issues. Currently RC3 has some issues surrounding USB and BT functions which are being worked on; some things that appear to be fixed is the MKV Header Compression and Sound issues. In regards to systems that show a Code 14 or 16, all I can provide you with is what I know, which is RC3 will not load on systems displaying that boot code. As soon as I receive further guidance regarding boot Code 14 / 16 boxes I will be happy to share that with the rest of the community.
I refer you to this link then about "a firmware release would be forthcoming"
since September http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewt...t=797&start=20 . I refer you to the bVAdmin post further down the page where he states "I am in the final stages of testing the firmware update for release. The beta release candidate will give you all an opportunity to test out the new features which include the following..........." and the users posts within that thread. Am I not included in the "all" reference to that statement? Why were older boxes not included it the ßeta testing? All the RCs have had the problem with older code 14/16 boxes from the start.................now that's CLEAR in the way I read that particular thread and the ones in the General Discussion forum as well. No mention in the first RC that older boxes would not work with it, but users were forced to revert to the production release............and we've been waiting since. bVAdmin the mod there as I previously mentioned, made no indication that these RCs would not work in older boxes with the code 14/16 boxes, but only surprised the users at the last minute that it wouldn't in his Holiday Gift to CinemaTube/CinemaTube Mini/CinemaGo Users! announcment long after his original post of it being available to all CT BV-5005HD users. You are now past the due date of release!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM

if i have movie preview set to on then the movie will resume.it only resumes for iso files and not vob files in a folder.has anybody got the resume feature to work with movie preview off? i flashed back to Feb 12, 2010 fw.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@Brite-View - I asked this months ago so thought to ask again - are there plans to support movie cover art or fan art or album covers with the Cinema tube device ?

Several of your competitive products have left you in the dust and passed you by in this area.

Gadget-zilla
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
In case some of you missed one of the work around when playing the latest mkv files, I found this on the WD Live site that has a dummy proof solution, using MKVtoolnix (latest is 4.4.0).

It took me about 10-15 minutes for large files, about 8 gig.

Scroll to the 2nd page of the link by Concord3_16 on 9-12-2010.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-...p/41235/page/2

I've been using this gadget for over one year. Like anything else, it has its pros and cons. I tried Seagate and WD, but found the "Go to" button and the remote are the best features on this little streamer.

Have fun.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Hi...
I am wondering why all the Cinematube owners don't make something to solve their problems. Somebody did something, and is like "O..my...god!"
I've tested a custom firmware made for cinematube. The informations are in romanian, but you can translate easy with "google translate" , or ask a romanian friend to translate for you in english. Also, please read the full change log from the beginning, because some remote buttons has been redefined for a better compatibility. Try it and you will have yamj, thumbgen, a lot of online services, playlist support, youtube player, transmission torrent which download files on the usb hdd, ftp client for easy transfer files from computer to cinematube usb.
You have a info text that will help you with all functions, for the rest...just google it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM

And...this forum rules said that I must have at least 3 posts in the forum to insert url links...I will write another post after this to give you the download link of that amazing firmware
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM

this is my number three post, so I beg the admins not to warn me, it was the only way to do it. thank you for your understanding.
Remember brite-view crew, I just want to make your users happy, this firmware will boost your selling
Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 AM

The firmware is available here
Remember, your player will not suffer, no harm done if you try it, you just have to install it like you installed the latest beta firmwares from brite-view.
I forgot to tell you that this firmware is for cinematube 5005hd.
Enjoy it
Old 01-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinematube_warez View Post

The firmware is available []here[/]
Remember, your player will not suffer, no harm done if you try it, you just have to install it like you installed the latest beta firmwares from brite-view.
I forgot to tell you that this firmware is for cinematube 5005hd.
[

I tested and it works beautifully. Now I can watch internet tv. I wonder why Cinematube won't implement those features.
Thanks for this great firmware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement