post #361 of 6075 Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

elove,

If the drive is deemed defective in any unit that the customer receives, we will offer advance replacement with return freight.

In a perfect world all manufactured items would be perfectly produced so we poor consumers would have no worries. But we instead live in a world where recalls are common and involve staggering numbers. Everything from baby cribs, kids toys, and gas pedals.

Anytime we order something sight unseen we take a risk of what the final product is. The best any of us can do to protect ourselves is to deal with someone we trust.

As a consumer I feel I can ask for no more and this is in fact, better than most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6075 Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Liked: 16
Does anyone know how the video quality of the Sigma Designs 8642 compares to the VRS by Anchor Bay found in the Oppo BDP-83?

I am interested in the upscaling of SD DVDs materials stored in original DVD resolution (480i) on hard drives. I am just wondering how the Dune HD 3.0 video quality compares to the Anchor Bay in the Oppo BDP-83 and Faroudja in my current Denon 3808ci receiver.

Any third party reviews regarding the video quality of the Signam Designs 8642?

Still Learning
post #363 of 6075 Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

Does anyone know how the video quality of the Sigma Designs 8642 compares to the VRS by Anchor Bay found in the Oppo BDP-83?

I am interested in the upscaling of SD DVDs materials stored in original DVD resolution (480i) on hard drives. I am just wondering how the Dune HD 3.0 video quality compares to the Anchor Bay in the Oppo BDP-83 and Faroudja in my current Denon 3808ci receiver.

Any third party reviews regarding the video quality of the Signam Designs 8642?

mifronte,

The upscale quality is probably the same as players based on the SMP8634/5 chips from Sigma which has been more widely used and discussed. I'm guessing that SD video upscaling would not be as good as the Oppo.
post #364 of 6075 Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Anyone that has a unit, have you been able to view video feeds from sites like HULU ?

Thanks
post #365 of 6075 Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Liked: 12
If anyone is bored go pull up a sigma stock chart, they missed analyst estimates by 53% today
post #366 of 6075 Old 12-03-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

If anyone is bored go pull up a sigma stock chart, they missed analyst estimates by 53% today

8% drop in one day is not that catastrophic. They've been in a downward slide for some time, not so surprising in a discretionary consumer electronics stock.
post #367 of 6075 Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Looks like a lot of folks agree with you Ms. Clark. Pretty high volume buying and pushing the price upwards a little after the gap down on the announcement.
post #368 of 6075 Old 12-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

8% drop in one day is not that catastrophic. They've been in a downward slide for some time, not so surprising in a discretionary consumer electronics stock.

8% is certainly not catastrophic, but pull up MU, AMD, STX

very few consumer electronic charts look broken like sigma, they have dissapointed by missing guidance by 3 quarters in a row now and sadly losing credibility.
post #369 of 6075 Old 12-03-2009, 11:42 PM

mifronte DVD upsampling on the Prime 3.0 (Sigma 8642) is noticeably better then the Prime 1.0 (Sigma 8634) and the TivX M6500 (Sigma 8635). I do not own an Anchor Bay based player, so I can not compare the quality. The latest Sigma chips are definitely better then the previous generation though.

jrolmstd You can view Hulu, YouTube, and many other websites with streamed video, with the help of PlayOn software, using the UPnP feature.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com
post #370 of 6075 Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Maybe this is a stupid question, but with AnyDvdHD, can I rip BDs without removing the copy protection and play the resulting ISO on this player? I only ask because it seems the reliability of disc extraction without removing copy protection is higher than do so trying to remove it. I would think that since the player can decrypt BD discs via its internal drive, it obviously has the keys to do so on an ISO too.
post #371 of 6075 Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Does MyMovies work on this device just as it does through WMC?
post #372 of 6075 Old 12-05-2009, 03:18 AM

DreamWarrior That is actually a great question. Out of curiosity we have ripped Blu-ray ISO's in the past, keeping all the copy protection intact using AnyDVD, and they did playback perfect on the Prime 1.0

I currently do not have any Blu-ray ISO's with copy protection to test on the Prime 3.0, so I'll have to rip some again and report back on that. Keeping the copy protection intact is actually a great idea, as you pointed out it helps with the reliability of disc extraction and playback compatibility.

bstephenson Yes, My Movies works on the Dune Player just the same as it does on Windows Media Center.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com
post #373 of 6075 Old 12-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPower View Post

DreamWarrior ... Out of curiosity we have ripped Blu-ray ISO's in the past, keeping all the copy protection intact using AnyDVD, and they did playback perfect on the Prime 1.0

James (dev) over at Slysoft is dubious about the claim that Prime 1.0 plays back encrypted Blu-ray ISOs.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=24

Looking forward to your test results.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #374 of 6075 Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 PM

BobSalita We HAVE to know the answer to this question now! So Mike my business partner is driving an hour down to my beach house at 1:00am, so we can test Blu-ray ISO's with copy protection intact. We'll report back later tonight.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com
post #375 of 6075 Old 12-06-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstephenson View Post

Does MyMovies work on this device just as it does through WMC?

It does not, no.

My Movies for Windows Media Center is a program written specifically for Windows Media Center.

My Movies stores meta-data for the Dune's in a structure that allows collection browsing.

While the Dune have the best meta-data storage option of these video players, it cannot be compared to a Windows Media Center in terms of interface.

My Movies - Movie Indexing application for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android: http://www.mymovies.dk
post #376 of 6075 Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey can the Prime format and internal hard drive? I am thinking of getting the Base model and installing a 2tb hard drive. At first i was going to pass on the Dune device because it can't write to the drive using NTFS. If using and ext2 or ext3(someone told me the max file size is 256 gigs) formatted drive then it will write. All i would use this for would be to put my dvd and blu ray rips on the hard drive. I wouldn't do any streaming just play straight from the hard drive and add new movies i buy thru my network.
post #377 of 6075 Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:

...You can view Hulu, YouTube, and many other websites with streamed video, with the help of PlayOn software, using the UPnP feature.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com

Does Playon actually work very well with the Dunes??? It really sucks to use on PCH, so I've wondered what, if any, difference there would be with Dune... especially given the newer Sigma chips.

...the DUDE abides.
post #378 of 6075 Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm very intrested in the Base 3.0
Has anybody received theirs yet?
How is NTFS 1-2 TB HDD suport?
Is hot swapping internal HDD supported.

What about BD-Java intense loading times?

I've been a CE "Beta" tester before with unfulfilled promises - no more for me!
(I'll leave that to the ritch folks who can afford CE's running off with the money & releasing a new product after stopping development on the old)
post #379 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 AM

First, I would like to say, James from the Slysoft forum forced us to think back and try to retrace our steps and recall how we were able to playback encrypted Blu-ray ISO's on the 1.0 Prime. It was quite some time ago and we can not recall what movies we had used nor how we had our system configured.

Since we do not have a 1.0 model handy we will have to revisit this later in the week. Fortunately our sales rep still has a 1.0 model. We will pick it up from him in the next couple days to compare the functionality differences between the old and the new models.

So here are the results of our tests on the 3.0 model:

We have a Blu-ray drive shared on a Vista PC over our network.

-We can play a DVD movie disk from the shared optical drive in the PC on the Dune 3.0 with full menu's (AnyDVD NOT running).

-We can browse a Blu-ray movie disk from the shared optical drive in the PC on the Dune 3.0 but can NOT play the movie (AnyDVD NOT running).

-With AnyDVD running we can browse a Blu-ray movie disk from the shared optical drive in the PC on the Dune 3.0 and select and play the M2TS file. However we can not access the main menu of the Blu-ray movie. It seems the playlist file is not recognized.

-A Blu-ray ISO with encryption intact will not play on the 3.0 models. Not from a hard drive connected directly to the player, not from a share over the network, and not from the ISO mounted in a shared virtual drive on a PC running AnyDVD.

It will be interesting to see if we can achieve playback of Blu-ray ISO's with encryption intact on the old 1.0 model, as we recall being able to do so.

Keep in mind a Dune Player is a Blu-ray player first, with add streaming and hard drive playback features enabled via firmware and hardware. Naturally it can play any Blu-ray disk (with copy protection). All the decryption keys are available to allow this. Could the Dune Player 3.0 firmware be patched to allow playing Blu-ray ISO's with encryption? We're not sure. Perhaps James from Slysoft could shed some light on how the encryption keys work?

To be clear the Dune Players will play anything after AnyDVD has removed the copy protection including Blu-ray ISOs.

All this testing made us realize, we tend to forget and take for granted that we would not be having this conversation, if AnyDVD did not exist. I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I say, thank you Slysoft for making the media player market possible.

We will follow up with more tests of the 3.0 model including the performance of PlayOn using UPnP.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com
post #380 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 AM

The difference between using a Dune Player with or without My Movies is HUGE. It completely transforms the interface with cover art for movie selection and with movie descriptions. No, it does not have all the functionality of Media Center. We didn't mean to imply that. We thought bstephenson was asking a simple GUI question. The user experience with collection management browsing, made possible with meta-data provided by My Movies, is night and day. After using My Movies with a Dune Player you will never want to be without it.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com
post #381 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 AM

bluewhale1 The current firmware can not format a drive. You will need to use a PC or Mac to format it. EXT3 (with a standard 4kb block size) supports a maximum file size of 2TB! Older EXT2 or EXT3 with a block size of 2kb had a 256gb file size limitation. That is no longer used. So you can have a single file 2tb in size with EXT3. If you plan on keeping a hard drive mounted in the Dune Base, and wish to transfer files (write) to this drive over your network, then EXT3 is the way to go. Hopefully write support for NTFS will be added in a future firmware.

Keep in mind maximum file size and maximum partition size are too different things. Even if there was a file size limitation of 256gb that would never be an issue since a dual layer Blu-ray can only hold a maximum of 50gb.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com
post #382 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but it seems the picture quality on the Dune would be better than my Xtreamer with dvd iso's. Looks like i'm gonna have to eventually get the Dune 3.0 Base(from Digital Connection).
post #383 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

To be clear the Dune Players will play anything after AnyDVD has removed the copy protection including Blu-ray ISOs.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com

Arthur, just to be clear, will the Dune Players play the Blu-Ray menus too (after copy protection is removed)?
post #384 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM

Is dune 3.0 BD prime capable of decoding Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA as PCM like my playstation3?

I'm very interested in this question. Because I have a receiver hdmi1.2 and I can hear these high resolution formats decoding as PCM and passing to receiver.
post #385 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Anyone know what the latest status in on shipment for the Primes?
post #386 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Liked: 11
I'm guessing they are shipping this week from Digital Connections, based on previous posts, and since my card was charged on Friday.
post #387 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

Arthur, just to be clear, will the Dune Players play the Blu-Ray menus too (after copy protection is removed)?

As I had a Prime 3.0 @home for 3 weeks I can tell - Yes, it will.
post #388 of 6075 Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:

...The current firmware can not format a drive. You will need to use a PC or Mac to format it.

Would this suggest that, when I eventually upgrade the HDD on my Synology NAS, which I believe uses EXT3, I could simply put the old drive with the existing music/video library into a Prime and it will read the HDD natively??? That would be pretty convenient!

...the DUDE abides.
post #389 of 6075 Old 12-08-2009, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hey ArthurPower. Can i hook a external NTFS hard drive and copy files from the NTFS to the hard drive inside a Dune 3.0 via usb connection? Reason i ask is im not familiar with the ext3. I have Partition Manager which will format to ext3 but on my Windows 7 pc after its formatted (usb thumb drive i tested) i cant copy any file to it. Basically trying to see how to add my videos to the internal hard drive when i get it.
post #390 of 6075 Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

I'm guessing they are shipping this week from Digital Connections, based on previous posts, and since my card was charged on Friday.

I contacted them this morning and the shipment hasn't yet cleared customs, so we have a little more of a wait still

BTW, I do agree that icon browsing is the only way to use the Prime (or Base), but I want to be clear that you do NOT need MyMovies to use that. There are many tools to setup icons and icon browsing as a concept is nothing new (TviX has used it for the last couple of models going back years). It is very different from Yamb (if I spelled that right), but it is easier to add/change media (IMO). For the Dunes there is an HDI Artwork forum over on MPC that was setup back in the 1.0 days, but it is still relevant for the 3.0s. There was also a great Tvix background/icon thread (I think on MPC also) that had lots of wonderful content for icon browsing and meta data. The TviX background/icon tools work just fine for the Dunes, with an additional step of running the HDI aai converter against the output from those tools (I used to use MGB). The one that several of us prime users have used for the last year is the Tvix plugin for DVD Profiler. I worked with the author and he added a check box to his great plugin to output aai files for the Dune. While the plugin is free, unfortunately though DVDP is not, so do not take this as an advertisement for DVDP .
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Base3d Media Player , Xbox 360 Console , Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page