Dune HD Base 3.0 and Prime 3.0 on Sigma 8642 in Q4 2009 - Page 203 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6061 of 6075 Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BD menus are dead as long as a BDA license is required, and hence Cinavia. I doubt they will leave the market but they will not promote any type of BD playback. I even think BD-Lite will be going away. I predict a more media streamer that specializes in m2ts, ts, and mkv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6075 Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post

The movie walls for Dune are bare minimum ok, its not worth using when you can use plex or something else.

Curious why you think the movie walls such as Zapitti, yaDIS MyMovies, 10Muse are bare minimum ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

BD menus are dead as long as a BDA license is required, and hence Cinavia. I doubt they will leave the market but they will not promote any type of BD playback. I even think BD-Lite will be going away. I predict a more media streamer that specializes in m2ts, ts, and mkv.

Agreed. I have just been slowly moving everything to mkv. If they can finally add native support for forced subs in mkv (not just require use of a user created patch) and mvc mkv support, then that would go a long way.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #6063 of 6075 Old 12-30-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Curious why you think the movie walls such as Zapitti, yaDIS MyMovies, 10Muse are bare minimum ok?

I think a lot of it is the dynamic data of plex. when using flat files some things just dont seem to flow smoothly. once plex is setup you just forget it new movies get added automatically you dont need to run updates or anything. I would love to try 10muse been waiting all year for that android client that looks like will never come. Given NMJ navigator for android has between 10,000 - 50,000 downloads one would think there is a pretty decent market for an android client, Damn mede8er is the same been waiting since the apple remote launched
post #6064 of 6075 Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Damian,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

My opinion:

I use Zappiti. Like Halfelite mentioned, the wall is pretty flat - there is nothing live about it. Even the "seen", "ongoing" and "unseen" need to be manually managed. No real search capability.

Maybe I've been spoiled by my NeoTV-550, where I can search by actors, director, year, decade and genre. Also, recent additions and seen / unseen are managed automatically. It is harder to tag for the NeoTV than with Zapitti, however.
post #6065 of 6075 Old 12-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

I think a lot of it is the dynamic data of plex. when using flat files some things just dont seem to flow smoothly. once plex is setup you just forget it new movies get added automatically you dont need to run updates or anything. I would love to try 10muse been waiting all year for that android client that looks like will never come. Given NMJ navigator for android has between 10,000 - 50,000 downloads one would think there is a pretty decent market for an android client, Damn mede8er is the same been waiting since the apple remote launched

The interface of Plex is 20x better then the ones for Dune, and probably 20x faster. Less maintenance, Easily scale-able to many many media players. Plex just works, the only downside is you can't use ISOs. But guess what? The future of ISOs is dead. I have finally come to that conclusion. I told my friends Plex is for idiots and that bluray ISOs are the way to go. But whats the point? It was to have menus, now that reality is dead forever. Might as well remux to MKV and use Plex. Get a $89 Roku3 with Rarplex client and it has a better / quicker gui then any Gui on Dune and its only $89. I have been streaming full bitrate mkvs and from what I can tell it will bit-stream every audio format to my receiver so i'm happy with that.

No 3D of course but 3D is a fad anyways that's finally starting to die out again. (I can't see 3D due to an eye issue, so i don't care either way). I will miss my 100tb collection of ISOs, but its time to abandon ship for the future. MKVs. If Dune made a player that ran Plex/XBMC on the front end, they would probably sell quite a few players, or atleast offer it as a secondary selection to their current poor front end.

I know i'm rattling off and you may think I sound like an idiot, but enjoy your ISOs with no menus in the next few years. Check out Plex before you hate on it like I did, you all run dedicated media servers like I do. I hated on Plex SOO much. Now I really have embraced it.
post #6066 of 6075 Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Damian,
My opinion:

I use Zappiti. Like Halfelite mentioned, the wall is pretty flat - there is nothing live about it. Even the "seen", "ongoing" and "unseen" need to be manually managed. No real search capability.

Maybe I've been spoiled by my NeoTV-550, where I can search by actors, director, year, decade and genre. Also, recent additions and seen / unseen are managed automatically. It is harder to tag for the NeoTV than with Zapitti, however.

Appreciate the feedback before. I have used Plex before so I guess I just don't see it being that much superior (or I guess a better way to put it I don't see the current Dune Jukeboxes being a bare minimum ok). Keep in mind this is just my opinion, but based on how we use Zappiti there really isn't anything else we need. We can sort by new releases, genre, alphabetical, etc...I know there is the added step of having to update manually, but I actually prefer that (I guess I am a bit of a control freak, but it allows me to make 100% sure videos are pulled in correctly). Like I said, not at all discounting what you or others are saying, and really just depends on how you use.

Cheers,
Damian

post #6067 of 6075 Old 12-30-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 59
^^ did you try plex before the new web interface? I have to say plex before the web interface I did not care much for. I was a hardcore yamj fan after I got it setup and working and was not until the new plex web interface that I made the switch. Its also nice for multiple players no setup needed as long as there is a client. Also the multiple user options are nice as both me and my wife watch the same shows her mostly upstairs and me downstairs I just did two different users on plex and it tracks new/ watched unwatched for both people.

But the ease with plex is I can sit there and notice something is not pulled correctly while using the pch or roku just grab the tablet do a quick search and bam its updated on the tv and everything. When I first started using plex I did not notice much a difference it was after the first month I realized I did about zero maintenance

Although it does have its pitfalls as well. I do not like plex boxsets its not automated you have to tell it what sets to make. Nor does it handle multiple editions of the same movie really well like if you have lord of the rings and lord of the rings extended edition it auto groups them together under one movie and from client side you cant tell which is which.
post #6068 of 6075 Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Haven't tried the new interface. Like I said, I completely understand the benefits you see. However, for me the Dunes are really the only players, so I don't care about multi player compatibility (I definitely understand the appeal, just not how my house is set up). I also typically update Zappiti remotely from work, so this is very easy to do. At this point right now with my server I would rather not have any additional programs running on it (troubleshooting some issues).

At some point in the future I will take a look at again as well as MB3 (I have actually had it on my to do list but had to push aside for now b/c of mentioned server issues), just at this point there is really no benefit for my setup currently.

Cheers,
Damian

post #6069 of 6075 Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 AM

Liked: 10
DUNE BASE 3.0 OWNER.

Hi Guys, my Dune has been collecting dust for awhile. I had to leave the country and all my toys for close to two years. When I got back, I never got into it again. When I was into it, I never played around with the "network" aspect. Everything was USB connected and I used Zappiti. Owning a Chromecast and discovering how to use it with Plex has somewhat revived my interest in my Dune. So yesterday, I started playing with it again. I updated the firmware and realize there is now an android remote app called DUNE HD RC. I used the network browser and found my plex server which is installed in a notebook residing in the garage. So I realize, the Dune can be used as a client just like my Android phone running the plex app, only it's not as nice as the android app. This is all new to me, once again, I never understood networking, so don't laugh at me. LOL!

Well, I think the answer to my question is NOT POSSIBLE, but I will ask anyway. Is it possible for my plex media server to locate my Dune Player and its connected hard drives and add all it's contents to the plex library? If not, can I install the plex media server onto the Dune? I'm just wondering if there is a way for me to use the same Android Plex App to browse the collection on the hard drives connected to my Dune, play it and beam it to my chromecast.

Once again, I'm not good with this networking stuff. I don't know if what I'm asking is easy to do, or impossible to do. Please advise, thank you for your time.
post #6070 of 6075 Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
there's a plex plug in for Dune players called emplexer.

Check here : http://www.avforums.com/threads/dune-hd-emplexer-plugin-artwork.1733292/

And source is here : https://github.com/newloran2/emplexer

wink.gif
post #6071 of 6075 Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

Check here : http://www.avforums.com/threads/dune-hd-emplexer-plugin-artwork.1733292/

wink.gif

Emplexer is a Plex client; what he wants his existing Plex server to catalog his Dune-attached disks so he can use the Android Plex client. (Unless I'm misunderstanding something.)

The Plex server should be able to see the drives attached through the Dune over SMB. Dune has a "NAS function" where locally-attached drives will show up on the network. Is that sufficient?
post #6072 of 6075 Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Emplexer is a Plex client; what he wants his existing Plex server to catalog his Dune-attached disks so he can use the Android Plex client. (Unless I'm misunderstanding something.)

The Plex server should be able to see the drives attached through the Dune over SMB. Dune has a "NAS function" where locally-attached drives will show up on the network. Is that sufficient?

Yes, I want it to do what you're describing. Can you show me where to go in my plex settings? I've been playing around with the plex server settings, but I can't seem to figure out where to add my Dune.
post #6073 of 6075 Old 03-11-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

wink.gif

I want to be able to do the opposite as ScottJ mentioned. But thank you for this info. I will install this as well for when I use the Dune as a client.
post #6074 of 6075 Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack View Post

Yes, I want it to do what you're describing. Can you show me where to go in my plex settings? I've been playing around with the plex server settings, but I can't seem to figure out where to add my Dune.

I've never used anything Plex so I'm speaking conceptually here. From your PC you should be able to see the Dune at \\Dune, just type that in the Explorer address bar to confirm. Then somehow I assume there's a way to tell Plex where your movies are. You can point it to \\Dune.
post #6075 of 6075 Old 03-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

I've never used anything Plex so I'm speaking conceptually here. From your PC you should be able to see the Dune at \\Dune, just type that in the Explorer address bar to confirm. Then somehow I assume there's a way to tell Plex where your movies are. You can point it to \\Dune.

You know what I realize. It would be a waste of time. Just realize, the plex won't do blu ray files, correct? I need to convert them to MKV? Too much time. All the movies attached to my dune are Blu-ray files or iso files.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Base3d Media Player , Xbox 360 Console , Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page