Dune HD Base 3.0 and Prime 3.0 on Sigma 8642 in Q4 2009 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6075 Old 12-20-2009, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I posted this but can't seem to find it. Has anyone added a hard drive to their Prime 3.0? If so, how did you do it? I tried looking for info but cam up short. I am pretty sure I can figure out how to do it for the BASE, but not the Prime 3.0!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6075 Old 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

I thought I posted this but can't seem to find it. Has anyone added a hard drive to their Prime 3.0? If so, how did you do it? I tried looking for info but cam up short. I am pretty sure I can figure out how to do it for the BASE, but not the Prime 3.0!
Chris

Chris-if you don't care about warranty-you can do it.Or have a different solution-use dock-station.Its only option but not necessity.
post #633 of 6075 Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjames View Post

I watched another BD "back-up" ISO file last night off a connected USB HDD and it played fine all the way through. I'm pretty sure it's the BD loader that is the problem.
I guess I should see what kind of warranty I have.

Try update filmwere http://dune-hd.com/firmware/bdprime3/
post #634 of 6075 Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Chris

Look at post #454, it may give you some info. I kinda like this idea also. When are you gonna try it for us?
post #635 of 6075 Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike:SH View Post

Try update filmwere http://dune-hd.com/firmware/bdprime3/

The beta firmware i read causes instability per HDI and user's shouldn't really use it. Unless there is another one out.
post #636 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post

Look at post #454, it may give you some info. I kinda like this idea also. When are you gonna try it for us?

I looked at post #454 and I can see where to add the hard drive and the power cable but do not know where the sata cable would go. Would one have to forgo the esata and unplug it? I see there is also an extra internal usb port, wonder what that is for? My brother has ordered one and has told me he plans to mod it. He is a little bit more free with his money than I and does not care if he voids the warranty. When he gets his and opens her up I will post some pics!
So, anyone know where to plug the hard drive in on the board?
Chris
post #637 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 AM

When a blu-ray movie is ripped to .M2TS are HD audio bitstreaming and .PGS subtitles supported?
My guess is because the Dune shares the same sigma libs with the C-200 which can't do both, neither of these players support that at this time. (I have no intention to rerip as .ISO/folder structure/mkv).
post #638 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

When a blu-ray movie is ripped to .M2TS are HD audio bitstreaming and .PGS subtitles supported?
My guess is because the Dune shares the same sigma libs with the C-200 which can't do both, neither of these players support that at this time. (I have no intention to rerip as .ISO/folder structure/mkv).

I have some stuff on an external hard drive ripped to a .m2ts and I am pretty sure it was passing HD audio via bitstream. I will check and report back..

Chris
post #639 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

That is actually why I asked if it had been confirmed that the Dune could bitstream standalone ts/m2ts/mkv files since the C-200 cannot. I was pointed to this post which states that it can be done (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17748285), but I would still like more confirmation since I assumed it was a Sigma issue.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #640 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Ok, I can neither confirm nor deny the bitstreaming from .msts files. all I have on my hard drive is Harry Potter 1-5 where I ripped just the .m2ts file for the main movie. I do not see bitstreaming in any of the 14 audio tracks. all options are ac3 or pcm...
post #641 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok, I can neither confirm nor deny the bitstreaming from .msts files. all I have on my hard drive is Harry Potter 1-5 where I ripped just the .m2ts file for the main movie. I do not see bitstreaming in any of the 14 audio tracks. all options are ac3 or pcm...

Yeah, would need confirmation of a TrueHD or DTS(MA) Blu Ray

Cheers,
Damian

post #642 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjames View Post

Got my Prime a few days ago. I have not been able to watch a BD movie without issues yet. I have tried 2 movies (Star Trek and Drag me to Hell). Last night on Star Trek it was fine until about 1:30 into it then it started to drop audio and pause video, then it crashed my Marantz receiver and never played the disc without issues after that. Now on Drag, it pauses audio and stutters video all the time. The BD portion is useless.
Not too pleased with the unit.
I am connected via HDMI, I don't see how another connection would be the issue. Sounds like a player issue.

Well I played part of Star Trek Retail Blu ray disc. Seemed to play fine so I switched back to the computer input on my monitor and did some work. Switched back to the disc still playing at about 20 minutes. Playing fine. Switched back at 1:43 in the movie and no picture or sound. Maybe it lost sync becasue of stupid HDMI. Disc was apparently still playing as the timer was going on the Dune. Took disc out played part of a DVD, worked fine. Put Star Trek back in and "playback cancelled due to security violation" message on Dune. WTF? Duen said to "eject disc and retry". Still no love.
Powered off the player with the front panel button, then retried. Now it is playing again. I am NOT too happy with the disc part at this time!

UPDATE:
Ok, well powered off the Dune with the front panel button and then loaded Star Trek again. It played all the way through with no issues. HOWEVER, I never switched the input on the monitor this time while it was playing.
Best,
Chris

UPDATE yet again:
Yep, HDMI problems for me. I started playing Star Trek again, switched HDMI inputs on the monitor for about 4 minutes and then tried to switch back to the Dune. No picture, no sound. This sucks!
post #643 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey anyone put a hard drive in the base and if so what brand and how is it working with the dune? The reviews (newegg) for a lot of the 2tb hard drives look bad.
post #644 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPower View Post

The difference between using a Dune Player with or without My Movies is HUGE. It completely transforms the interface with cover art for movie selection and with movie descriptions. No, it does not have all the functionality of Media Center. We didn't mean to imply that. We thought bstephenson was asking a simple GUI question. The user experience with collection management browsing, made possible with meta-data provided by My Movies, is night and day. After using My Movies with a Dune Player you will never want to be without it.

Arthur
DunePlayer.com

Arthur, where would you install My movies, directly to the Dune or to a pc? Is there a link to a thread with installation instructions??
Herb
post #645 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcolon View Post

Arthur, where would you install My movies, directly to the Dune or to a pc? Is there a link to a thread with installation instructions??
Herb

You install MyMovies on your PC. You then use Collection Management to create all the Dune metadata. Here is my wrietup for MyMovies (Skip the WMC part):

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...-at-whats-new/

Cheers,
Damian

post #646 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Well I played part of Star Trek Retail Blu ray disc. Seemed to play fine so I switched back to the computer input on my monitor and did some work. Switched back to the disc still playing at about 20 minutes. Playing fine. Switched back at 1:43 in the movie and no picture or sound. Maybe it lost sync becasue of stupid HDMI. Disc was apparently still playing as the timer was going on the Dune. Took disc out played part of a DVD, worked fine. Put Star Trek back in and "playback cancelled due to security violation" message on Dune. WTF? Duen said to "eject disc and retry". Still no love.
Powered off the player with the front panel button, then retried. Now it is playing again. I am NOT too happy with the disc part at this time!

UPDATE:
Ok, well powered off the Dune with the front panel button and then loaded Star Trek again. It played all the way through with no issues. HOWEVER, I never switched the input on the monitor this time while it was playing.
Best,
Chris

UPDATE yet again:
Yep, HDMI problems for me. I started playing Star Trek again, switched HDMI inputs on the monitor for about 4 minutes and then tried to switch back to the Dune. No picture, no sound. This sucks!

I tried the same thing and it happened to me. When I switched inputs from the Dune to the Sat and back to the Dune, I lost picture and sound. I will try another HDMI cable and see if I the problem still exits. I agree this sucks.
post #647 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 PM

i used to have exactly the same problem with ziova/zensonic players.
when the tv was switched from hdmi input to antenna, it could not be switched back.

not sure, do other players handle this situation?
post #648 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

I tried the same thing and it happened to me. When I switched inputs from the Dune to the Sat and back to the Dune, I lost picture and sound. I will try another HDMI cable and see if I the problem still exits. I agree this sucks.

It must be a bug, it does it to me as well and not just with star trek. I tested on both my base and prime units and both do it.
post #649 of 6075 Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Now I am confused. Been fighting Dune, NFS, and or SMB for days now with no love when it comes to connecting the Dune player to my WHS. So I downloaded muCommander just to see if I could hook up with the NFS service running on WHS and no problems at all. nfs://10.10.10.199/shares drills right into the server folder that it is supposed to,.

Starting to think I just have a bum Dune unit. All I read about is how easy this is. I even took my router out of the picture and ran a cable from Dune to the WHS and still no connections could be made. Not with SMB or with NFS. The WHS is also running playon and I can browse to that from Dune but that is it.

Unless someone has another idea I think its time for a RMA
post #650 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 AM

Mike from duneplayer.com helped me get things working on NFS last night.

No offense intended, but don't use hanewin. I tried for hours to get working, to no avail. Mike suggested allegro. Uninstalled hanewin, installed allegro, turned off windows firewall, and viola NFS (via UDP) worked. Through put was 11Mb/sec.

I have a Dune Prime, and a self built PC/Server (intel MB, RAID array) running Win 7 Pro, and using MyMovies Collection.

Quick tips using Allegro: In configuration screen popup (after installing), click New (next to Name box) Name your export (only a name within allegro) and OK, Browse to your folder you want to export then click OK, highlight all the items in the three columns (allowed host list, R/W users, RO users), then click Apply.
For an added bonus, click on the Debug tab and check NFS Protocol Debugging, and Mount Protocol Debugging, and Apply again. Go to system tray, right click on Allegro NFS, and click Show Console. This console window will then display messages that will indicate success (or failure) of the NFS mount.
Go to DUNE, 'Pop up menu', New Network Folder, enter Name (only a name for display purposes), Type: NFS, Server: , Folder: , Protocol: UDP, then OK. Highlight new folder and press enter. You should then see the Allegro NFS Console indicate the mount, and the folder contents on your TV.

John
LL
LL
post #651 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleiii View Post

Mike from duneplayer.com helped me get things working on NFS last night.

No offense intended, but don't use hanewin. I tried for hours to get working, to no avail. Mike suggested allegro. Uninstalled hanewin, installed allegro, turned off windows firewall, and viola NFS (via UDP) worked. Through put was 11Mb/sec.

I have a Dune Prime, and a self built PC/Server (intel MB, RAID array) running Win 7 Pro, and using MyMovies Collection.

Quick tips using Allegro: In configuration screen popup (after installing), click New (next to Name box) Name your export (only a name within allegro) and OK, Browse to your folder you want to export then click OK, highlight all the items in the three columns (allowed host list, R/W users, RO users), then click Apply.
For an added bonus, click on the Debug tab and check NFS Protocol Debugging, and Mount Protocol Debugging, and Apply again. Go to system tray, right click on Allegro NFS, and click Show Console. This console window will then display messages that will indicate success (or failure) of the NFS mount.
Go to DUNE, 'Pop up menu', New Network Folder, enter Name (only a name for display purposes), Type: NFS, Server: , Folder: , Protocol: UDP, then OK. Highlight new folder and press enter. You should then see the Allegro NFS Console indicate the mount, and the folder contents on your TV.

John

Yep, been there, done that including some invaluable help Mike. I am to the point that I define a connection and it says I am connected but when I try to use it, Dune reboots. NFS service is up and running on the WHS and confirmed with muCommander. Sent a request to DC for a RMA on the unit. Tired of fighting it.....
post #652 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 08:29 AM

[quote=dbone1026;17765019]You install MyMovies on your PC. You then use Collection Management to create all the Dune metadata. Here is my wrietup for MyMovies (Skip the WMC part):

Wow! Nice gui. Thanks for the tip!!
herbie
post #653 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolmstd View Post

Yep, been there, done that including some invaluable help Mike. I am to the point that I define a connection and it says I am connected but when I try to use it, Dune reboots. NFS service is up and running on the WHS and confirmed with muCommander. Sent a request to DC for a RMA on the unit. Tired of fighting it.....

I've been fighting this thing for nearly a week as well. Are these units plus others not playing nice with network streaming? Would it be better to get a Base (with an internal HD) or something similar at this point to bypass the network streaming issues?
post #654 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspoll View Post

All,

Looking at this player, it looks like it features everything I am looking for and easier to use and setup compared to a HTPC.

Based on user feedback, the only comments I am really seeing is about network and connectivity issues. How does everyone compare the audio (analog) and video playback when compared to a HTPC with a ATI/NVIDIA card?

Outside of the relative ease of use, I am trying to determine if this player would be a better source than a HTPC.

TIA,

AL

not to BUMP my own reply... but does anyone have an opinion of the video/analog audio quality of this player compared to a HTPC or in general?

TIA,

AL
post #655 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My setup is component, optical, and analog out hooked through an Audio Authority component switch. I have noticed that it will not switch over sometimes or loses signal, so I have to shut off the autoswitching part. Even when I do that, there is no light on my switch indicating a signal (although I can see the menu on screen). It could be that the Prime does not send over an audio signal over optical until it starts playing something (and I'm guessing that the switch needs both an audio and video to switch over), then it lights up.

As for Drive noise, I tried 2 BD discs yesterday. I swear someone asked about Star Trek TOS season 2, but I can't find the post. Anyways, I tried disc 2 and 3 and they played fine. The boot up was very noisy though. When the show started, it was pretty quiet except for the times it has to load. I guess they are using a 2.5" drive, which are noisier then the 3.5" ones?
post #656 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Oh and I forgot to add that there was one time where the signal would not shut off, so the switch would not switch over to the next signal. I had to turn off the standby mode.
post #657 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by alspoll View Post

not to BUMP my own reply... but does anyone have an opinion of the video/analog audio quality of this player compared to a HTPC or in general?

TIA,

AL

I am thrilled with both AQ and PQ when dealing with Bluray ISOs. I have the Dune Base, the Sony 960 BD Changer and the Oppo 83 connected to my Denon 5308CI to my Sammy 55 LCD. All 3 units Bitstream DTS MA and TrueHD, so equal in that respect. The PQ seems identical to my eyes when doing a side by side comparison of all three with same movie while switching inputs on the Denon.

SD Upscaling is a little different. IMHO the XA2 is still king of the hill, while the Oppo is a close second, with the Dune and Sony 960 BD Changer coming in a solid third.

As far as cool factor.... the Dune is tough to beat!
post #658 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post

I've been fighting this thing for nearly a week as well. Are these units plus others not playing nice with network streaming? Would it be better to get a Base (with an internal HD) or something similar at this point to bypass the network streaming issues?

The internal HD maybe easier to set up but its even more limited in HD size than my MHS currently running around 4TB.
post #659 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolmstd View Post

The internal HD maybe easier to set up but its even more limited in HD size than my MHS currently running around 4TB.

Give and take I guess. So would getting the Base with internal HD solve my network studdering issues? I could always keep most of the ripped stuff on the WHS and only certain amount on the internal HD of the base and exchange as needed.
post #660 of 6075 Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM

I have a few basic questions. I'm still learning about media servers. If I have a NAS raid device (learning about these as well) can it directly attach to the HD Base via a CAT 5 cable? If yes...could I continue to add hardrives to the NAS raid device so that storage would essentially be endless? What is the largest internal HDD that can be selected with the HD base? Thanks
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Base3d Media Player , Xbox 360 Console , Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page