Seagate's New Networked HD Media Player (WDTV2's Competitor) - Page 13 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Seagate's New Networked HD Media Player (WDTV2's Competitor)

Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

aero12's Avatar aero12
11:54 AM Liked: 10
post #361 of 366
06-28-2011 | Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post

I updated to 2.23 via online update. It works fine for both of my FAT+ via wired or wireless.

The good:

The Iphone remote app is cool, no more remote lag. Audio dropout and scratchy audio via HDMI seems to be fixed( I was updating from 1.55)

The bad:

Windows 7 checkdisk issue. Every time I connect a Freeagent Go or GoFlex drive to the FAT+ and then powering it down to disconnect it. I would get a checkdisk prompt when I connect the hard drive to my windows 7 machine although it never finds anything after running checkdisk.

I just updated mine. I was a bit skittish as I had read the only advantage was netflix and I have mine in my car and don't use neflix with it.

Ironically I have found 2.23 handles external drives better, not worse, than the older firmware.
spongebob's Avatar spongebob
09:25 AM Liked: 11
post #362 of 366
07-08-2011 | Posts: 2,851
How does this compare to the WD? PQ, file support, speed, etc?

thx

bob
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
01:20 PM Liked: 465
post #363 of 366
07-08-2011 | Posts: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
How does this compare to the WD? PQ, file support, speed, etc?
It doesn't hold a candle to the WD Live +. I started with the FAT+ because at the time it was the only player with Netflix. While DVD.iso playback over a network with full menu support is flawless, full bitrate BD.m2ts playback can only be done from an attached HDD (and the Seagate offers no network maintenance of an attached HDD). The FAT+/GoFlex TV have a Realtek chipset and do not have the network chops to stream BD.m2ts from a NAS -- even using DLNA. I moved from this to the Live+ and with the current firmware the Live+ is head and shoulders above for a lower price.

And the Netflix interface on the Live+ is the new v3 interface that allows searching for content and managing your instant play list from the unit without having to use a PC.
pgodden's Avatar pgodden
12:20 PM Liked: 10
post #364 of 366
02-12-2012 | Posts: 379
If I use an attached drive and rip BD to it will I be able to get the HD Audio or is it a limitation in general of the device? is there anyway to get HD audio to work from rip at all?
AVS66's Avatar AVS66
05:16 PM Liked: 10
post #365 of 366
02-29-2012 | Posts: 242
My brother in-law just gave me this player. I couldn't find the eject button for usb hard drive like on WDTV. So how do you guys eject the drive safely?
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
07:27 PM Liked: 465
post #366 of 366
02-29-2012 | Posts: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS66 View Post

My brother in-law just gave me this player. I couldn't find the eject button for usb hard drive like on WDTV. So how do you guys eject the drive safely?

Turn the unit off before removing the USB drive.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Subscribe to this Thread