Seagate's New Networked HD Media Player (WDTV2's Competitor) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 366 Old 11-28-2009, 06:02 PM
TKO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone confirm if this unit will power down the internal hard drive when the unit is turned off? ...and not spin up intermittently to do something.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 366 Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 AM

Can anyone tell me if it will play gapless FLACs?

Sick of 2 second breaks in between my concert backups.
post #63 of 366 Old 11-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post

Can someone confirm if this unit will power down the internal hard drive when the unit is turned off? ...and not spin up intermittently to do something.

Not sure if this applies to the internal bay, but the externals remain powered at all times. I'm quite doubtful that it would cause any I/O requests during stand-by, but it's bad enough that the power remains (and my 2.5" drives remain spun up). I suppose the drive firmwares may spin them down at some point, but I have not waited around to see and, even if so, it could vary by drive model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weightaholic View Post

Can anyone tell me if it will play gapless FLACs?

Sick of 2 second breaks in between my concert backups.

Random play of nearly 4K FLAC files on my external drive is pretty seamless and certainly has no delays of that nature (hmm, just tested this memory and now I would say that it takes about a second to move to the next song - so there are seams *shrug*). The optical link signal does drop between songs and this sometimes causes my amp to make a little switching noise. Interrupting the playback can cause a louder digital snap, but it's not a big deal to me.

Deep Space - the free, all natural wire insulator, cabinet damper and transducer equalizer.
* Patented by Quietspeaker Industries, a division of Almighty Group.
post #64 of 366 Old 11-30-2009, 05:13 PM

Hi,

I mainly want to play MKVs that contain ripped BRs. Since this player does not support pass through for DTS-HD/TrueHD, will it play without any degradation those formats if converted to FLAC?

Thanks
post #65 of 366 Old 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avr5700 View Post

Random play of nearly 4K FLAC files on my external drive is pretty seamless and certainly has no delays of that nature (hmm, just tested this memory and now I would say that it takes about a second to move to the next song - so there are seams *shrug*). The optical link signal does drop between songs and this sometimes causes my amp to make a little switching noise. Interrupting the playback can cause a louder digital snap, but it's not a big deal to me.

Damn. Thanks.
post #66 of 366 Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 PM

The Freeagent doesn't seem to recogize movies on my NAS. I have a pile of MKV files on an HP 2120. The folder on the NAS is set to stream but the Seagate will not see any of the movies on it and display them on the movies tab. If I use the browse folders function to surf to the folder manally the device sees the files and playback is flawless but the order of the files appears completely random. They aren't alpha, they aren't based on creation date, mod date, size or anything else I can think of.

Any suggestions as to why the Freeagent isn't seeing the files to start with and why the folder order appears so random?
post #67 of 366 Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabyrd1506 View Post

The Freeagent doesn't seem to recogize movies on my NAS. I have a pile of MKV files on an HP 2120. The folder on the NAS is set to stream but the Seagate will not see any of the movies on it and display them on the movies tab. If I use the browse folders function to surf to the folder manally the device sees the files and playback is flawless but the order of the files appears completely random. They aren't alpha, they aren't based on creation date, mod date, size or anything else I can think of.

Any suggestions as to why the Freeagent isn't seeing the files to start with and why the folder order appears so random?

I have the same problem on the folder/file order being random.

Also, if I use the media server function, the order of the folder/file is correct, but I can't display the subtitle (.srt or .sub/idx).
post #68 of 366 Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 AM

I have read the mixed reviews on here and I think some people are just not informed on how to use the FreeAgent Theater+ (FAT+). Granted, its rough around the edges and not very intuiative, but in the end, you can get the desired result: browsing network shares with media and playing it back on your TV.

I did want to point out that maybe some do not realize that you need to use NETWORK shortcuts and not the "Movies" from the home landing page to reach movie shares on your network? I was able to point the (FAT+) towards my Windows Home Server, which happens to be running MyMovies.

There is no reason to open your computers or shares to guest level access, you can add the username and password of a valid account to access any network resources you have.

With MyMovies for WHS, this could not be any easier. I drop a movie I own into the WHS box, MyMovies catologs it, and then I am able to browse the WHS via the FAT+ and off I go. I get full DVD menu support without any issues. The only thing I need to work on: getting the DVD cover thumbnail and the directory named the same. I am sure a simple script could do it once MyMovies has run. Something to work on in 2010.

Be sure you are running the latest firmware for your FAT+ Mine is 1.26 as of 12/31/09. You can also find additional information here: http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board?board.id=fatheater

For AT&T Uverse customers, did you know that that network port on the back of your DVR units are LIVE? I plugged a switch into my Total Home DVR unit and have daisy chained an XBOX360, SlingBox, Seagate FreeAgent Theater+, and a BluRay player all off of the Total Home DRV.

Thanks,

Michael
Go Ohio State
HdColumbus.org - everything about the local HDTV scene in Columbus, Ohio
post #69 of 366 Old 01-02-2010, 02:35 AM

mpinney: Can you store meta-data for this unit?

If so, and you have any details, let me know about it, and I will get this functionality into My Movies.

Regards,

Brian

My Movies - Movie Indexing application for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android: http://www.mymovies.dk
post #70 of 366 Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 AM

I bought this so I could quickly and easily play all my kids' DVDs without them scratching them up to kingdom come. For the money, I really like what it delivers.

Reasons I like it:
  • UI is simple enough for my 5 year old to play a dvd rip without help
  • Plays my uncompressed 1080i home movies in m2t format flawlessly
  • I can add multiple USB drives or connect to network shares / media servers
  • connects to PlayOn to play Netflix content
  • It was relatively cheap
  • I can easily use it in the minivan as a portable HTPC. Small and a Seagate 3.5" HD fits nicely into the body of the player.
  • Plays HD Divx rips
post #71 of 366 Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM

nodeal117 wrote "connects to PlayOn to play Netflix content'

I have been wondering about using Netflix. Is there any special trick to making the connection? Thanks.
post #72 of 366 Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal117 View Post

I bought this so I could quickly and easily play all my kids' DVDs without them scratching them up to kingdom come. For the money, I really like what it delivers.

Reasons I like it:
  • UI is simple enough for my 5 year old to play a dvd rip without help
  • Plays my uncompressed 1080i home movies in m2t format flawlessly
  • I can add multiple USB drives or connect to network shares / media servers
  • connects to PlayOn to play Netflix content
  • It was relatively cheap
  • I can easily use it in the minivan as a portable HTPC. Small and a Seagate 3.5" HD fits nicely into the body of the player.
  • Plays HD Divx rips

I hadna thought about the mini-van trick. Do you know if anyone makes an adaptor for a 12v negative ground system or do you use an AC inverter?
post #73 of 366 Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula View Post

nodeal117 wrote "connects to PlayOn to play Netflix content'

I have been wondering about using Netflix. Is there any special trick to making the connection? Thanks.

no trick at all in the connection. If you install PlayOn on your server you'll see it as an option under media servers.

Since this isn't a "device" in netflix's eyes you will need to add items to your DVD queue and watch them from there. To be able to register a device and add items to the instant queue we'll need to wait for Seagate's promised firmware update.
post #74 of 366 Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 AM

Just an update on the Seagate - I ended up returning mine to Best Buy because my USB hard drive kept getting corrupted and the networked features were spotty. I traded it for a WD HD Live TV.

In hindsight now that I can compare both boxes, I think the Seagate wins hands down if your primary use is going to be playing content from an attached USB drive. The DVD menu support, easy to use interface, and ISO and Video_TS/VOB support really make this a winner over the WD.

I have a 4 year old son that can only read a few words, but he had no problem at all navigating the Seagate menus and playing DVDs from the USB drive. It's been much harder for he and my wife to get to where they want to go on the WD unit.

Since the WD doesn't support DVD menus, all of the kids' ripped DVD TV compilations are useless on that box. I'll have to go back and re-rip each episode into its own mpg or avi.

With all that said, performance and reliability over the network has been much better with the WD. Youtube, netflix, etc.. play much nicer on the WD. The WD will also play recorded TV from my networked Win 7 Media Center PC. The Seagate wouldn't recognize whatever format MS is using for the recorded TV.

One side note - the current disjointed nature of all the web content is a real hassle right now. Using just PlayOn, I can watch content from like 10 different online providers. The problem is that you have to bounce around to all 10 to see what's available. Personally, I can remember that Star Trek is on CBS under the classic TV folder, Popeye cartoons (my kid loves those) are availible by searching youtube, Thomas is on Netflix and Batman is on Amazon VOD, but it drive my wife and kid nuts trying to figure it all out. I'd really like to have PlayOn or some other software aggregate all of the available content into a single easy to use guide or at least give me the abiltiy to set a single list of favorite content subfolders or something. The current setup just isn't ready for prime time.
post #75 of 366 Old 05-01-2010, 09:22 AM

There is new firmware available now that includes Netflix support. A couple of warnings: there is supposed to be a bug that prevents Netflix movies from playing past a certain point, a little more than hour I believe. I don't know if this is just through the new interface, just when using Playon instead or if it affects both ways of using Netflix. Also this firmware prevents you from ever flashing back to a previous version so if you don't like it your stuck with it and it can't be modded. I didn't know that when I flashed mine but so far everything seems okay and I did want the Netflix support. Too bad about the time bug, hope they fix it quickly.
post #76 of 366 Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I bought one of these recently and have been putting it through it's paces with the v1.55 firmware. I chose this unit primarily because it had support for NetFlix streaming. So far I like everything about it except for the Seagate brand wireless adapter dongle. Media-wise it has played everything I've thrown at it and does everything I bought it for. I set up a network share on my PC, after some windows pain, and was able to connect easily from the browse menu. But having to dig through layers of workgroup/PC/folder to get there will get old very quickly. One cannot set up a shortcut to an open shared volume. So, I want to try the media server route and set up a DLNA server on my PC. What DLNA server software would people recommend? I've seen favorable comments on TIversity so have downloaded a copy of the free version to try out tonight. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

So, onto the only CON I have to date: The Seagate wireless adapter is crap, make that expensive crap. I have the FAT+ set up on my computer desk and plugged into an HDMI port on my monitor while I play with it and set it up. It is about 4 feet away from my wireless "g" router. As I noted above, I bought this particular media player because of the NetFlix streaming support. When I have the FAT+ hard wired to my router, it streams NetFlix beautifully. I have 3Mbps DSL so the stream is SD. I get 5 of 6 quality bars on the display and a great picture. When I pull out the wire and plug in the Seagate wireless adapter, I drop down to 1 of 6 quality bars and the PQ is noticeably inferior -- the resolution is dropped. Remember, the wireless router is all of 4 feet away. In contrast, I have a TiVo HD + wireless "g" adapter across the house on a lower floor. Even with a floor and a couple walls between it and the router, the TiVo wirelessly streams NetFlix with all the quality bars lit. With the FAT+ 4 feet from the router, I can wirelessly stream DVD .ISO rips with no stuttering and smooth FF. If it won't do that once I move it downstairs into the equipment rack next to the TiVo, I'm going to be severely ticked off.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #77 of 366 Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

So, I want to try the media server route and set up a DLNA server on my PC. What DLNA server software would people recommend? I've seen favorable comments on TIversity so have downloaded a copy of the free version to try out tonight. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Well this has been frustrating. I've tried 2 PC-based DLNA server apps, Serviio and TVersity, and have experienced the same difficulties with both. When either server is installed and some media is shared, The Seagate FAT+ "sees" the server when browsing in the Media Server widget. After drilling down a little the media files are displayed. Here's where the problems start. I shared .ISO, .MPG and .VOB rips of DVD's. Only the .MPG and .VOB files were displayed in the server listing for video files (they did not appear in the audio or images listing either). Bad enough, but then when any of the files were selected to play, that failed. Upon selection, a circle with a line through it appeared and the screen reverted to the file listing. I'm sure it's a problem with the DLNA server software; I think they are trying to do too much with transcoding Internet content into formats the "supported devices" can handle. Both apps describe the possibility of having to tweak or create a new profile for a "non-supported device". So much for simple universal UPnP/DLNA support. In contrast, when the same files are shared using WFS, .ISO, .VOB and .MPG are all visible in the listing and all three play perfectly.

I'm starting to get the feeling this is not a going to be a very active thread.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #78 of 366 Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 PM

I have had mine for about 2 months now, I love this thing. I am playing mostly MKV files and avi files. I wasnt happy with the way the Media Server worked (Using the media server on my Iomega Superstor), So I went the netowrk rout. I agree drilling through the directory is a pain but works fine. I have a Hard Drive installed as well, but who wants to copy the movies over? I dont. ANyway the only complaint with it is that I was watching a 1080p movie and the network hicupped, i couldnt restart from the place I was at and due to the fact that the network connection is only 100mb it would only fast forward at 2x speed. A 1 Gig connections would have been much better and buffering to the Hard Drive would also have been nice.

other than that.. Love it
post #79 of 366 Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Kelson-
I don't have one of these, but try selecting the .ifo file in your DVD rips instead of .vob and see what happens.
post #80 of 366 Old 05-18-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post

Kelson-
I don't have one of these, but try selecting the .ifo file in your DVD rips instead of .vob and see what happens.

Thanks for the response but I don't use .IFO files. Up until I bought the Seagate FAT+, I used my TiVo HD to stream DVD rips over my network from my PC. Initially, the end product of my DVD ripping process was a single multi-GB .MPG file containing the main movie. I got this by concatenating the 1 GB .VOB files using "VOB2MPG". Then I learned my TiVo would stream .VOB files as well, so I switched my process to simply rip the main title to a single multi-GB .VOB file. So that's why I have a big collection of .MPG and .VOB files for playback. Now that I have the FAT+, which plays .ISO files, that will simplify my ripping work-stream even more and I'll be switching to .ISO's for future rips.

Anyway, I bailed on the whole PC-DLNA server thing; it was more-or-less just an experiment while I was seeing what the FAT+ could do. I bought the $70 Seagate FreeAgent DockStar as a poor-man's NAS - I only want it to feed video files to my network. Works just fine with the FAT+ in either WFS mode or DLNA/UPnP media server mode. I'll likely stick with the WFS mode because the DLNA server mode doesn't show the .ISO files. The menu drilling is about the same for either mode so I'll just stick with WFS. I'm very happy with the DockStar and the fact I don't have to use my PC for serving video now.

For reference, I'm using the v1.55 firmware (auto-update over the network) without a hitch. There's actually an updated user manual for the v1.55 on the Seagate site if you drill through the support tab.

- kelson h

post #81 of 366 Old 05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgodden View Post

I wasnt happy with the way the Media Server worked (Using the media server on my Iomega Superstor), So I went the netowrk rout. I agree drilling through the directory is a pain but works fine. I have a Hard Drive installed as well, but who wants to copy the movies over? I dont. ANyway the only complaint with it is that I was watching a 1080p movie and the network hicupped, i couldnt restart from the place I was at and due to the fact that the network connection is only 100mb it would only fast forward at 2x speed. A 1 Gig connections would have been much better and buffering to the Hard Drive would also have been nice.

Yes, I'm not impressed with the media server function compared to WFS. The media server doesn't show .ISO files and there's no less drilling than WFS. One of the reasons I got the FAT+ was to get into BluRay rips and HD streaming this summer. I liked the integrated docking port for a FreeAgent Go drive and I like that the FreeAgent Go drives are totally USB powered. Slipping it out of the FAT+ dock and connecting it to a USB cable on my PC for loading is too simple and convenient. I bought a 1TB Go drive to go with the FAT+ and it is my intention to stream SD DVD rips over my network and stream HD BD rips from the docked Go drives. That way I can avoid the limitations of my 100Mbps backbone for high bitrate content.

Also, there's very little drilling required when using the FAT+ interface for an attached drive. That's a big factor for the techno-challenged wife who's real used to the simplicity of the TiVo interface.

Yeah, I like this thing a lot too. Lots of capability and expandability for a very reasonable price. The NetFlix streaming capability is what tipped me over to it. It would be nice if the next firmware revision had the ability to create shortcuts through the drilling. The only shortcuts now are for volumes that require being logged into with a username/password -- not something I need to do.

- kelson h

post #82 of 366 Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM

There may be a way to place a shortcut on the Server, I will give it a try and let you know. That being said, its not the end of the world for me I just drill my way down.

I bought the 600 gig drive is was onsale here in calgary for like 90 bucks, and that will be an option for the wife..... With the NAS I can actually just plug in the go drive and walk away as the NAS will automatically update the drive.
post #83 of 366 Old 05-23-2010, 08:06 PM

I purchased the Theater+ this past week and I am unable to get sound out of the HDMI connection no matter which settings I choose. Has anyone else had this problem if so how did you resolve it. TIA
post #84 of 366 Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Seagate is about to release another networked media player, this one is definitely a King Kong Vs. Godzilla jab at Western Digital's WDTV-LIVE box. It could very well be the same product but in a different packaging. It's called the Free Agent GoFlex TV HD Media Player. Priced at $130.
post #85 of 366 Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnlt View Post

I purchased the Theater+ this past week and I am unable to get sound out of the HDMI connection no matter which settings I choose. Has anyone else had this problem if so how did you resolve it. TIA

Did you go into the settings menu and configure the audio option? I have mine set for HDMI RAW and have no problems with any audio. Are you sure it's not your source files.

- kelson h

post #86 of 366 Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Seagate is about to release another networked media player, this one is definitely a King Kong Vs. Godzilla jab at Western Digital's WDTV-LIVE box. It could very well be the same product but in a different packaging. It's called the Free Agent GoFlex TV HD Media Player. Priced at $130.

The GoFlex player specs look pretty much identical to the FAT+ and the screen shots of the GoFlex UI are identical to the FAT+ with current firmware. The GoFlex player is made to dock the GoFlex series of drives; it only has one USB port whereas the FAT+ has two. I think that appears to be the only difference between the units. I asked Seagate if the GoFlex player signified that the FAT+ and the FreeAgent series of drives were being discontinued. I was assured that was not the case and both units would be sold and supported going forward with the same firmware revisions. Take that for what it's worth.

- kelson h

post #87 of 366 Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Did you go into the settings menu and configure the audio option? I have mine set for HDMI RAW and have no problems with any audio. Are you sure it's not your source files.

Yes I have tired all the HDMI settings. Audio works on all other outputs. I have narrowed it down to my TV (Sharp Aquos). It works fine on my Samsung TV...
post #88 of 366 Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

This is pretty much the final chapter for me as this thread fades off into oblivion. A shame that this unit is apparently not very popular, because it really is a good piece of equipment that does what it says and at a very reasonable price.

I made the final installation move and took the FAT+ off my PC monitor in my study and installed it in the equipment rack in the family room below. I have it connected via HDMI into my Onkyo AVR which feeds my plasma. It took a bit of effort to position it and the wireless-G router upstairs to get the maximum signal/throughput. I was initially not impressed with the Seagate wireless adapter but once I got the components properly situated, everything works beautifully. I get sufficient throughput over the wireless-G connection to stream not only DVD rips from my NAS upstairs, but also I can flawlessly stream broadcast HD/5.1 files transferred from my TiVo HD to the NAS. TiVo HD files are MPEG-2 encodes with bitrates up to 18Mbps (CBS). What is strange, however is that I can also wirelessly stream NetFlix content at full quality. I find this strange because when the FAT+ was sitting on the desk in my study attached to my PC monitor, it couldn't wirelessly stream NetFlix with more than one quality bar even though it was only 4 feet away from the router. Is there such a thing as too close? Anyway, it works perfectly now.

So, mark me down as a very satisfied owner. The NetFlix compatibility is what directed me to this unit and it has not disappointed. The only feature I would wish for in a future firmware update (if there ever is one) would be the ability to create a main-menu shortcut to a NAS volume to eliminate a lot of the slow menu drilling I have to go through now.

- kelson h

post #89 of 366 Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM

I just picked one of these up a few days ago at my local BB (99.00). I haven't had an opportunity to try it out but I'll be replacing my Cinematube with it. I was hoping to hold out for the Popbox but I'm not really interested in being a alpha / beta tester for Sigma. I'll probably pick one of those up after it's first major firmware release (so 2011 maybe?). The cinematube uses the realtek chipset and has the same loooooonnnnnngggg click process to get to your media, I was hoping the FAT+ would be different

I don't have allot of the requirements that folks around here get stuck on (ISO and MTS menu support, DD True HD and DTS-MA pass through support etc) so this seems like a good fit for me and I'll have one less thing to control with the Integrated Netflix. Glad you like it, that's encouraging.

In regards to the wireless issue I can't remember the specific terminology and reasoning but I have seen wireless networking devices not work well in close proximity to each other. My wife's laptop gains a bar when she moves away from my computer desk which has the wireless router on it.
post #90 of 366 Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Enjoy the FAT+. If you attach a drive directly to the unit, access to media from the home menu is direct. That was a nice thing about the FreeAgent Go drives, which caused me to buy one. They directly dock on the FAT+ without any cables or power supply cords. That makes it easy to undock and plug into a USB cable on my PC for loading. But mostly I access media stored on my NAS and have to burrow through the directory levels to get to the volume I want. It's OK for me but my wife would go nuts, so I put her stuff on the docked drive.

Although I'll be using it for streaming BD rips later this summer, I'm not hung up on the lack of pass-through for the HD audio formats either. The unit does play .ISO files, which is nice. I'm leaving all my DVD rips as .ISO now.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought a D-Link wireless-N bridge router when I put my first Internet-ready component in the rack. At the very least I should have bought one instead of the Seagate adapter for the FAT+. I don't know what I was thinking -- or not.

See my post#80 above for a link to the new manual written for the v1.55 firmware.

- kelson h

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page