FreeAgent Theater+ HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 120 Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seagate's new FreeAgent Theater+ HD is out. Anyone with any impressions?
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...t_theater_plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM

I'm very interested.
As MAC user the fact that it supports HFS volumes is a big selling point
but overall it looks solid offering that could work well!

Anyone know what Chip its running?
post #3 of 120 Old 09-20-2009, 02:02 AM

i think it is a reaktek chipset llike the one in the new asus play

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 120 Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 PM

wonder is this player supports the NFS protocol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 120 Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM

99% sure it does!
post #6 of 120 Old 09-27-2009, 11:17 AM

post #7 of 120 Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM

Yeah that interface is a bit tough...

why isn't it showing thumbs, seems the file type should support it and be embedded right? umm who knows..

Its between the new WDTV and this for me..
hopefully the new WDTV interface is better..
post #8 of 120 Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

From what is shown on Seagate's website the UI doesn’t seem too bad at all. I just can wait for this and the WDTV2 to hit the streets so we can get some real user reviews coming in. It’s going to be between the WDTV2 and this for me also. I am really hoping one of them utilizes buffering for wireless network playback for hi def content.
post #9 of 120 Old 09-29-2009, 03:08 PM

Yeah looks like they are gonna street pretty much te exact same time..
I have had an Apple TV so GUI is kind of important for me.. cant step too far back.

I'm hoping the WDTV is slick...
I guess well see
post #10 of 120 Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4sgr View Post

Yeah looks like they are gonna street pretty much the exact same time..
I have had an Apple TV so GUI is kind of important for me.. cant step too far back.

I'm hoping the WDTV is slick...
I guess well see

The WDTV's GUI is very "slick". I have it right now and have also had the AppleTV and the WDTV kills the AppleTV in everything!!! Except maybe the UI. But the WDTV still has a great GUI. Wait for the WDTV2/WDTV Live when it comes out.

Read more about that here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/strea...rt-2-a-61.html

It will support more MKV's because of it's DTS audio codec and it will now have an ethernet port as well if you want to see an image of the back ports go here: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....08/wd-tv-2.jpg

Enjoy and I personally will wait for reviews on the WDTV Live/WDTV 2 and I'll see user reviews once the Seagate Freeagent Theater+ comes out to the public :-)
post #11 of 120 Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I look forward to both of these devices to hit the streets. Actually I wonder how long it will take for HD television manufacturers to start embedding this technology in their systems as some already do with limited features.
post #12 of 120 Old 10-07-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanclark1993 View Post

The WDTV's GUI is very "slick". I have it right now and have also had the AppleTV and the WDTV kills the AppleTV in everything!!! Except maybe the UI. But the WDTV still has a great GUI. Wait for the WDTV2/WDTV Live when it comes out.

Read more about that here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/strea...rt-2-a-61.html

It will support more MKV's because of it's DTS audio codec and it will now have an ethernet port as well if you want to see an image of the back ports go here: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....08/wd-tv-2.jpg

Enjoy and I personally will wait for reviews on the WDTV Live/WDTV 2 and I'll see user reviews once the Seagate Freeagent Theater+ comes out to the public :-)

+1

I'm waiting to see how all these second gen players actually perform. Ultimately it might come down to which chipset is superior between Realtek and Sigma Designs; and who supports their stuff better

Dune 3, WDTV2, Seagate Freeagent Theater+, PCH 200, ?brite-View and other Realtek clones
post #13 of 120 Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Hey guys, it seems like the Seagate theater + HD player is available now on Buy.com for $138 - http://www.buy.com/prod/seagate-free...211967188.html

Hopefully, we'll get some users review soon. I'm considering buying this or the Wdtv live player, whichever is better. I need to know if this player supports SSA and ASS subtitle format.
post #14 of 120 Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw23 View Post

Hey guys, it seems like the Seagate theater + HD player is available now on Buy.com for $138 - http://www.buy.com/prod/seagate-free...211967188.html

Hopefully, we'll get some users review soon. I'm considering buying this or the Wdtv live player, whichever is better. I need to know if this player supports SSA and ASS subtitle format.

might be shipping out from amazon too
post #15 of 120 Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 PM

I'm definitely curious about the WDTV2, Seagate Freeagent Theater+, PCH C200 or PCH-A110. I will make a decision this year once I hear impressions and reviews from people.

IThe main thing im worriied about is full h/x.264 MKV 1080p support and the GUI
post #16 of 120 Old 10-09-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Picked this up today at Best Buy as my store did not have the new WD player. Plugged in my external drive loaded with bluray iso's and picture looks excellent. Testing done with HDMI to a 26" Samsung LCD. Chapter skips not working but I have yet to really dig deep. Fast forward & rewind is smooth with no issues.

Will check audio capability on my main system and do more testing with more details to come. Remote control is quick and responsive to commands.
post #17 of 120 Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

After hours of frustration, I will have to take it back.

Worked great with usb attached drives, but over the network the same movies played fine as far as video, but suffered from audio dropouts. Same location with pc running Media Browser played the movies flawlessly.

User setup interface is horrible as well as the pdf user manual is basically useless. I guess I will the WD Live next when BB has it in stock. Really a shame as Bluray iso files looked great.
post #18 of 120 Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post

After hours of frustration, I will have to take it back.

Worked great with usb attached drives, but over the network the same movies played fine as far as video, but suffered from audio dropouts. Same location with pc running Media Browser played the movies flawlessly.

User setup interface is horrible as well as the pdf user manual is basically useless. I guess I will the WD Live next when BB has it in stock. Really a shame as Bluray iso files looked great.

Damn. I'm still on the edge because i wouldn't use it for networking things, but I would like that option if its included... Did you do it wirelessly or via Cat 5 cable?

Did you do anymore testing? Does the Bluray ISO allow for menus? Did you try a DVD ISO? or any other type of format?
post #19 of 120 Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM

UI is better than WDTV and a LOT faster
networking is a breeze. Glitchless playback of 1080p mkvs over SMB (windows).
Wireless N playback of HD (>720p) is glitchy.

so far LOVE THIS DEVICE!!!!

$119 at BB currently

BTW: This thing DOES DVD MENUS!!!!! WOOHOO!!!
not sure about BD menus.... I strip away all that anyway
post #20 of 120 Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma View Post

$119 at BB currently

BTW: This thing DOES DVD MENUES!!!!! WOOHOO!!!

I'm sold! For some reason that is a very rare feature. Does it work on VIDEO_TS and .iso files? Do menus work with Blu-ray rips as well (not a requirement, but it would be nice).?
post #21 of 120 Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM

I bought one to try out, bd isos movies work but no menu. Also for bd iso tv series and shows it plays part of one show only. Subtitles in bd isos and m2ts files work, no need for srt sub files. Menus are faster than the wdtv1 and on my usb drive it shuts down and powers up with the Freeagent.
post #22 of 120 Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma View Post

$119 at BB currently

BTW: This thing DOES DVD MENUS!!!!! WOOHOO!!!
not sure about BD menus.... I strip away all that anyway

I bought both the WD TV Live and the Seagate Theater+ from Best Buy today.

Quite a few of my 1080p h.264 mkv's are very glitchy with the Seagate Theater+ over SMB (windows) and i have a gigabit network. There is nasty artifacting, with huge areas of magenta and green blocking.

I find the WD TV Live to be easier to use, much easier to set up (video set up is automatic, unlike the Seagate, which defaults to 480i and you have to set up manually).

The UI and remote control response is a little faster with the Seagate, but it doesn't matter if it can't handle 1080p h.264 mkv's properly.

The Seagate is going back to the store ASAP.

The SHT - Stealth Home Theater
post #23 of 120 Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM

Damn, with the same price and soo many mixed reviews, I'm not sure whether to get the Seagate or WD TV Live...

They both seem to do about the same thing, video playback wise. Seagate supports DVD menus but WD TV Live supports Youtube, Pandoara, and 365.

Hmmmm...
post #24 of 120 Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post

Quite a few of my 1080p h.264 mkv's are very glitchy with the Seagate Theater+ over SMB (windows) and i have a gigabit network. There is nasty artifacting, with huge areas of magenta and green blocking.

I find the WD TV Live to be easier to use, much easier to set up (video set up is automatic, unlike the Seagate, which defaults to 480i and you have to set up manually).

The UI and remote control response is a little faster with the Seagate, but it doesn't matter if it can't handle 1080p h.264 mkv's properly.

Noticed the same thing with the planet earth mkv test clip. I actually remuxed it to mpeg and it played perfectly with no artifacting so it seems to be some issue with the ability to play mkv containers. however, worth noting for some people that the seagate has full dvd menu and chapter skip support so this might be important if people have a lot of rips and want to use menus. Sigh, why the heck can't WD just release DVD menu support once and for all.
post #25 of 120 Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 AM

Just to add more confusion into the mix. I've spent more time playing different files side by side.

Seems that the FreeAgent Theater+ has a bit smoother playback with faster framerate videos. I'll have to find some 60fps HD files I have to confirm.

I have some videos with multiple audio streams that are completely out of sync with the WD TV Live, but are prefectly in sync with the Theater+.

It seems most problematic videos for the Theater+ are some 1080p mkv Anime movies. Seems that most are fine. It just happened that the very first video I launched had problems. Go figure. One thing that's really annoying is that the Theater+ does not always tell you which subtitle is what. You get "Subtitle 1, Subtitle 2, etc." While with the WD TV Live, shows which languages are what. Also, the drop down menu bar pauses the playback with the Theater+ while it does not stop playback with the WD TV Live.

Comparing sound quality is another matter. Neither the WD TV Live or the FreeAgent Theater+ sound as good as my basic Home Theater PC using KMPlayer and AC3Filter SPDIF passthrough. Sound is less dynamic, sound localizations are not as distinct, and not as clear.

For browsing SMB Shares (windows xp and vista in my case) over the network, the Seagate Theater+ seems to be faster and more stable than the WD TV live. Network shares disappear sometimes with the WD TV Live, requiring powering off and then on, or going into network settings and doing "automatic" discovery. The Theater + also uses more screen space to display titles (I don't like Thumbnail views), while the WD TV Live wastes a lot of useful screen space. Oh, and for punching in Username and Passwords for network is really annoying without a keyboard, but at least the WD TV live displays the last letter typed (e.g. ****d ) when entering a password, while the Theater+ only displays asterisks (e.g. ***** ).

Overall, it's kind of a mixed bag. Both have issues, but have good picture quality. Audio quality is mediocre at best. Even a simple HTPC set up has noticeably better sound. But you could own both the Theater+ and the WD TV Live for the price of building a decent HTPC. So you really can't go wrong either way, given how cheap these things are.

I give the WD TV Live a better rating, because it's more compatible, and easier to use.

The SHT - Stealth Home Theater
post #26 of 120 Old 10-13-2009, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Do we know what chipset it uses?
post #27 of 120 Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:

use mediainfo to see if the mkvs are encoded at level 5.1.
5.1 mkv are problematic, even on PCH
post #28 of 120 Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Just to add more confusion into the mix. I've spent more time playing different files side by side.

Seems that the FreeAgent Theater+ has a bit smoother playback with faster framerate videos. I'll have to find some 60fps HD files I have to confirm.

I have some videos with multiple audio streams that are completely out of sync with the WD TV Live, but are prefectly in sync with the Theater+.

It seems most problematic videos for the Theater+ are some 1080p mkv Anime movies. Seems that most are fine. It just happened that the very first video I launched had problems. Go figure. One thing that's really annoying is that the Theater+ does not always tell you which subtitle is what. You get "Subtitle 1, Subtitle 2, etc." While with the WD TV Live, shows which languages are what. Also, the drop down menu bar pauses the playback with the Theater+ while it does not stop playback with the WD TV Live.

Comparing sound quality is another matter. Neither the WD TV Live or the FreeAgent Theater+ sound as good as my basic Home Theater PC using KMPlayer and AC3Filter SPDIF passthrough. Sound is less dynamic, sound localizations are not as distinct, and not as clear.

For browsing SMB Shares (windows xp and vista in my case) over the network, the Seagate Theater+ seems to be faster and more stable than the WD TV live. Network shares disappear sometimes with the WD TV Live, requiring powering off and then on, or going into network settings and doing "automatic" discovery. The Theater + also uses more screen space to display titles (I don't like Thumbnail views), while the WD TV Live wastes a lot of useful screen space. Oh, and for punching in Username and Passwords for network is really annoying without a keyboard, but at least the WD TV live displays the last letter typed (e.g. ****d ) when entering a password, while the Theater+ only displays asterisks (e.g. ***** ).

Overall, it's kind of a mixed bag. Both have issues, but have good picture quality. Audio quality is mediocre at best. Even a simple HTPC set up has noticeably better sound. But you could own both the Theater+ and the WD TV Live for the price of building a decent HTPC. So you really can't go wrong either way, given how cheap these things are.

I give the WD TV Live a better rating, because it's more compatible, and easier to use.

You thought the audio was lacking? I was very pleased with the audio quality from the seagate and wdtv. I''m assuming that you're using optical spdif so it doesn't make sense that they should be different from your htpc if you are bitstreaming over spdif on both. Bitstreaming is digital not analog so there should be no loss of quality or even any interference in quality from the device, it's all controlled by your receiver.
post #29 of 120 Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Hi everyone,
I’m having problems with the theater+. The theater+ is having issues playing back .avi files captured with Sony Vegas 9.0. These are regular DV in standard definition. The theater+ sees the files and when I hit play on one of them, the screen goes blank and there appears a circle with a line through it on the top left corner of my TV. It will sit there for a few mins and then it will start playing the only .mpg video I have on the drive (not what was elected) I’m using HDMI to hook up the theater+ to my TV. I have also tried hooking up the theater+ through composite with the same results. I spoke with Seagate support and they are clueless. I’m also having problems with other file formats rendered in Vegas. When I render and M2T file or AVC file, the theater+ does not recognize any of them. As mentioned previously, the M2TS files and MPG files rendered in Vegas are recognized and played back. Does anyone have any suggestions before I send this thing back? Thanks in advance for your help.
post #30 of 120 Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregikh View Post

Hi everyone,
I'm having problems with the theater+. The theater+ is having issues playing back .avi files captured with Sony Vegas 9.0. These are regular DV in standard definition. The theater+ sees the files and when I hit play on one of them, the screen goes blank and there appears a circle with a line through it on the top left corner of my TV. It will sit there for a few mins and then it will start playing the only .mpg video I have on the drive (not what was elected) I'm using HDMI to hook up the theater+ to my TV. I have also tried hooking up the theater+ through composite with the same results. I spoke with Seagate support and they are clueless. I'm also having problems with other file formats rendered in Vegas. When I render and M2T file or AVC file, the theater+ does not recognize any of them. As mentioned previously, the M2TS files and MPG files rendered in Vegas are recognized and played back. Does anyone have any suggestions before I send this thing back? Thanks in advance for your help.

go get ur self WD live lol
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page