access external drive over network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to get files onto an external hard drive wirelessly. Can I just plug a WiFi adapter into a USB slot on the external drive and be able to recognize over the network? If not, is there another solution besides buying an expensive external drive that has network support out of the box?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You cannot plug in a regular PC USB wifi dongle. Belkin makes a NAS USB hub that you can plug into your wireless router and connect up to 5 USB devices (hard drives, printers, etc). It's a bit pricey though. It's actually cheaper to replace your current wireless router with one that includes USB NAS support like this one from Asus.

Another option is the Dlink DSM-G600. It's an external wireless NAS enclosure that is made for older PATA hard drives, but it also has 2 USB ports for attaching additional external drives. If your current external enclosure has a PATA drive inside, you can take it out and stick it in the G600. If not, you can plug it in over USB. It's no longer manufactured, but shops that still have stock usually sell them for cheap.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chads29 View Post

I'm trying to get files onto an external hard drive wirelessly. Can I just plug a WiFi adapter into a USB slot on the external drive and be able to recognize over the network? If not, is there another solution besides buying an expensive external drive that has network support out of the box?

Thanks.

If you can get it hooked up to one of your pc's you can just share it over your network like any drive. But sounds like you want it solo.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yes, trying to get it solo. Thank you both for your help!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page