Linux-based NMT replacement - please help me choose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-21-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using a Syabus NMT for a while now, but have gotten fed up with both the user interface and the clunky process for building menus with YAMJ, etc.

A couple of years ago I set up a MythTV box and experimented with that, but ended up going with Windows MCE for TV. Now, I just want to replace my NMT with a Linux-based solution and would like some help.... I've searched/read as much as I can but find as many posts about "issues" with one of these solutions as I find answers.

My only "absolute" requirement is to be able to watch DVDs stored on a network share, with a "nice" interface (cover art, etc.) that is easy to use to select the movie to watch. So, cataloging and displaying the movies is the big question.

The choices I am aware of are:
1) MythTV
2) LinuxMCE
3) XBMC for Linux

One answer is to just go ahead and install of these, but I was hoping that someone who has some experience with them would recommend a "first choice" to save me some time.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As long as you don't need live TV viewing / recording, XBMC is far and away the best choice. It has the best UI, best scrapers, and largest development community.

Boxee would be another option, but it is centered primarily around web video. Its network media library features are somewhat limited compared to XBMC.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

As long as you don't need live TV viewing / recording, XBMC is far and away the best choice. It has the best UI, best scrapers, and largest development community.

Boxee would be another option, but it is centered primarily around web video. Its network media library features are somewhat limited compared to XBMC.

I wanted to build a HTPC but with things like WDTV and Bite view only costing $100, it's hard to justify building an entirely new pc *just* for xbmc.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by identifytarget View Post

I wanted to build a HTPC but with things like WDTV and Bite view only costing $100, it's hard to justify building an entirely new pc *just* for xbmc.

If you can live with 720p, you can install XBMC on an AppleTV, which you can get refurbished for $150.

Also, the OP is specifically asking about HTPC frontends under Linux.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Probably best to browse the HTPC forum and then ask questions there. In this forum, you are more likely to get people trying to talk you out of a HTPC.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks! I thought that XBMC looked nice, but wasn't sure if the Linux port was ready for prime time yet. I think I'll give it a try first.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you can live with 720p, you can install XBMC on an AppleTV, which you can get refurbished for $150.

I am putting together an Atom-based HDMI (Nvidia) PC for less than $200, so the step up from 720p isn't all that much more......
post #8 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyll View Post

Thanks! I thought that XBMC looked nice, but wasn't sure if the Linux port was ready for prime time yet. I think I'll give it a try first.

I am pretty sure that XBMC is developed in Linux and then ported, so the Linux version be the most advanced.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxmike View Post

I am pretty sure that XBMC is developed in Linux and then ported, so the Linux version be the most advanced.

The Linux and Mac branches are pretty much in sync. Installing Linux on the ATV is possible, but it's more trouble than it's worth. You're better off sticking with the stripped-down version of Tiger that it ships with.

Some good news if you're considering an ATV: 1080p h.264 is coming soon.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

The Linux and Mac branches are pretty much in sync. Installing Linux on the ATV is possible, but it's more trouble than it's worth. You're better off sticking with the stripped-down version of Tiger that it ships with.

Some good news if you're considering an ATV: 1080p h.264 is coming soon.

Thank you for the link. That would be incredible. I am astonished.

philip
post #11 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I set up XBMC over the weekend, and it is exactly what I was looking for. Getting it set up with all the right drivers working (graphics, audio, IR) took a bit of time for me (linux challenged), but there is a lot of information out there to work through the issues.

Thanks again for the pointer.
Zyll
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page