Who has bought ASUS O!Play ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who has bought ASUS O!Play ?

No offense, just wondering who has bought the Asus Oplay and wondering who can confirm and answer just a very simple question that I would like to know.

Is it capable to play DTS DownMix ? I read so and I really want that someone who already tried it let me know. please read below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Play
His strengths comes in to picture when we treat him to a collection of all kinds of video and audio formats. Finding network shares is good rap, like the opening of the content on usb devices. Video zone plays almost all the files easily and 1080p resolutions played only one ogg file was mistakenly seen as an audio file, while we really wanted to watch a video.

The player can play mkv files with a dts soundtrack mixes down on the HDMI connection, which is striking because the vast majority of the competing players that can transmit surround signals only to an external surround amplifier . As compared to the many media players based on Sigma chipset strikes, the quality of the Asus player the picture looks crisper and sharper, and in particular the average color is natural.

The playback, however, remains seriously short, forward and rewind is certainly possible, but only when viewing DVD iso's there is the possibility to browse chapters. The fact that the volume is not the player can be adjusted, leaving it again to another remote to be grasped, is a significant irritation point. Asus is expected that these serious omissions partially repaired with a new firmware version. A resume function is happy as it exists.

Playing sound and viewing photos is good experience. It is possible to zoom in on images. Also the player can handle the popular lossless flac format and with all common image formats.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The source where I got this info is here ----> ASUS O!Play .MKV DTS DownMix codec?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
No, according to this website: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...7950&Itemid=23

"As all other players, O!Play also plays AC3 sound on stereo speakers, but DTS is only passed thru."
post #3 of 7 Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 AM

According to http://www.techarena.in/review/9314-...dia-player.htm, "The player can play mkv files with a dts soundtrack mixes down on the HDMI connection, which is striking because the vast majority of the competing players that can transmit surround signals only to an external surround amplifier ." This player does in fact downmix to 2.0 audio.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 AM

I got the O!Play last night. I've got the analog plugs into my stereo and have the HDMI into my TV.

All one has to do is go into the setup screen and set the audio to SPDIF - LPCM and every DTS .MKV I've thrown at it works like a charm.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM

So it defidently downmixes dts audio via hdmi cable to stereo?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Yes.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Guys,
thanks for the comments, I will buy it and this thread will serve as good point for new people trying to figure out if this asus device plays or not the downmix stuff.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page