ASUS O!Play PROS and Cons compared to other similar players - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

These media players are getting tougher and tougher to shop for. I thought most would have very similar picture quality output with the tv and file source being the determining factor for picture quality.

I thought the same, but seems how good the firmware is then it is how good the quality shall be displayed on the screen.

Thanks for the link seems very interesting to check all of them from that place, but here in this forum there is a great link of comparisons / comments.

Check this link out.

here is a link to compare all media player as well

or almost all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM

The Asus will not play m2ts files. Also, when playing a wmv file you have to leave it "selected" for 10 seconds and wait for it to be recognized before it will play the file.

I picked up one at Fry's.
post #33 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM

My experiences with the O!Play have been mostly positive (plays most files, and well), but there are some bizarre issues I'm having... On some DTS files, the audio becomes out of sync with the video, actually going faster than the video stream.

This is while connected via ethernet (CAT 5e) to my home server box. When a portable drive is connected via USB to the O!Play, the content plays fine, with no sound/video sync issues.

There are other bizarre issues: with most .MKV files, you have a full range of FF options (2X, 4X, 8X, 16X, 32X) but with others, you get (at most) up to 2X FF.

I'm trying to diagnose these issues, but it seems like the o!play is a little bit finicky... Perhaps a firmware upgrade will fix these issues, but they are troubling...
post #34 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM

The Asus doesn't have a "DVD Menu" button on the remote, which (for me) is a deal breaker when you want full DVD menu support from ISO files. The Xtreamer and Brite-View Cinematube have a DVD menu button, so I'm leaning more towards those models as my next purchase.
post #35 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM

I have been hearing alot about this new SIGMA chipset in Asus O'Player. Aanyone know how many REFRAMES it can handle?. WD HDTV craps out at some of the 15-20 MB/S HD encode with 7-8 reframes.
post #36 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indusbreed View Post

I have been hearing alot about this new SIGMA chipset in Asus O'Player. Aanyone know how many REFRAMES it can handle?. WD HDTV craps out at some of the 15-20 MB/S HD encode with 7-8 reframes.

It's a Realtek chipset.

pmcd
post #37 of 46 Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraemer View Post

The Asus will not play m2ts files. Also, when playing a wmv file you have to leave it "selected" for 10 seconds and wait for it to be recognized before it will play the file.

I picked up one at Fry's.

Great how much was it? I have seen the cheapest with free shipping for $ 98.00
post #38 of 46 Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlos View Post

My experiences with the O!Play have been mostly positive (plays most files, and well), but there are some bizarre issues I'm having... On some DTS files, the audio becomes out of sync with the video, actually going faster than the video stream.

This is while connected via ethernet (CAT 5e) to my home server box. When a portable drive is connected via USB to the O!Play, the content plays fine, with no sound/video sync issues.

There are other bizarre issues: with most .MKV files, you have a full range of FF options (2X, 4X, 8X, 16X, 32X) but with others, you get (at most) up to 2X FF.

I'm trying to diagnose these issues, but it seems like the o!play is a little bit finicky... Perhaps a firmware upgrade will fix these issues, but they are troubling...

For sure they will fix that issue in the near firmwares that problem seems not a big problem for ASUS.
post #39 of 46 Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjay View Post

The Asus doesn't have a "DVD Menu" button on the remote, which (for me) is a deal breaker when you want full DVD menu support from ISO files. The Xtreamer and Brite-View Cinematube have a DVD menu button, so I'm leaning more towards those models as my next purchase.

Indeed! Well my friend you can not ask more for $ 98.00 is still better than WD,
post #40 of 46 Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

pcmcd,
YUP ! I don't know what to do, I don't know if wait or not, patience is a virtue, isn't ?
post #41 of 46 Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM

Still an evolving market, mpcclub says their tests show better PQ with the Sigma versus the Realtek chipsets.

Ben
post #42 of 46 Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by benogil View Post

...mpcclub says their tests show better PQ with the Sigma versus the Realtek chipsets.

Would this refer to the analog outputs only? Scaled/deinterlaced HDMI output?
post #43 of 46 Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Which sigma chipsets vs which realtek? Or is it just in general that sigma is better?
post #44 of 46 Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM

Posting for a friend.

He is wanting to hook up an external Blu ray player to his O!Play via USB port on the O!Play. Does anyone know if this will work or has tried something like this. Thanks for you help.

FYI He does not have a receiver.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD, Pioner Elite SC-05, Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD, Energy RC-50 Fronts, RC-30 Rears, RC-LCR, Energy S12.3, Bell HD 9242, Sony PS3
post #45 of 46 Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I updated firmware on my O!Play to 1.40N. It does play 1080p60 (as it did before) and the sound does not break up, but the video is somewhat slow-y and jerk-y, it seems that the player drops some frames. Watchable, but not perfect. 20 Mbit/s bitrate seems to help, but the original clips from the Panasonic camcorder are not played fluidly, they spike to 40 Mbit/s, although averate bitrate is about 22-27 Mbit/s. Switching to 720p60 or 1080i60 output does not seem to help. Using a fast HDD instead of SD card via an adapter does not seem to help. So, not the best player for 1080p60 playback.

On the plus side, the new firmware made some newer MKVs found elsewhere on the Net playable, I think they have 5 ReFrames.

Most clips I throw into this player are played fine. MKV, TS/MTS/M2TS, MP4, WMV, AVI containers. MPEG-2 and AVC encodings. Supports subtitles and language switching. Plays DVD ISO files. I wish it could play DV-AVI files. Also, it does not play FLV clips.
post #46 of 46 Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM

Keep up with O!Play for the information on O!Play service and instant customer support! https://www.facebook.com/Asus.Oplay
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page